For Some Reason The Idea Of Cat Tongue Candy Is Less Than Appetizing

How about biting into a nice chocolatey piece of candy resembling a rough cat tongue suitable for licking up hair and dirt from a furry pelt? Yum? We’re always amazed at what companies come up with that somehow made it first into the “Yes!” bin of ideas and then end up on store shelves. Cat Tongue candy, you might be the weirdest thing yet.

Shannon found herself face to face with Lenguas de Gato at a gift shop in the Los Cabos Aeropeurto in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. She notes, “I did not try it or buy it. I was too repulsed by the idea of a chocolate cat tongue.”

She also thought the kitty in the picture looked kind of sad, perhaps because “she was cursed with a chocolate tongue that these candy distributors stole from her.”

We’re sure her cocoa-dusted hairballs must be downright delicious.

UPDATE: Reader Niki writes in to encourage the idea of cat tongue candy gaining worldwide domination, saying: “As a native Austrian, I am quite familiar with them. They are a chocolate delicacy in Austria. They get their name from a French bisquit that is called “langue-de-chat.”

Feel free to send pictures of any other odd foods you spy on store shelves to tips@consumerist.com. We wouldn’t mind having something to take our minds off edible cat tongues.

Comments

1. Cat says:

2. Blueskylaw says:

First in with “Cat got your tongue?”

3. Jules Noctambule says:

In France we had a cookie with the equivalent name, which refers to the shape. I’ve seen far more appalling things in the display at the butcher’s.

• PaulR says:

This!

Some people need to get out more, Jules.

For all of the rest of you poor, poor, poor monolinguals / monoculturals, pls GIS for “langues de chat”

4. Rebecca K-S says:

I don’t think the company came up with this. Lenguas de gato are cookies that have been around for quite a while. And they actually kind of look like cat’s tongues, which I cannot say for this product.

But that cat does look super worried.

5. TerpBE says:

I imagine in other countries they’re equally grossed out by “lady fingers”

• AtlantaCPA says:

and Girl Scout Cookies.

Actually my band in high school had a song called “Literal food man” about a guy who thought these things were made of what they sounded like. I remember we used: grasshopper pie, hot dogs, girl scout cookies, baked alaska, and about 10 others I can’t remember. Don’t ask me when high school was.

• some.nerd says:

Depends where those fingers have been!
      (too far?)

6. Schildkrote says:

The Consumerist: we stand up to corrupt corporations, lambasting them with poorly-proofread articles on a daily basis!

Also sometimes we write about hilarious candies.

7. That guy. says:

I’m going to have nightmares of that cat’s frightened face.

8. tooki says:

In Switzerland and Germany they’re the same: Katzenzungen.

9. Jimmy60 says:

I much prefer “crunchy frog surprise”.

10. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Meh. Angel hair, llittle ears, the Pope’s nose, little tongues, nun’s tummies… all food names. My fave is Farmer’s Fannies…wait… I mean Fanny Farmers.

11. mmm43 says:

“Katzenzungen” are sold in Germany for many many years – google it!

12. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Let me think… what was that name for salami we had in the army?? Horse block…? horse stock…? horse clock…? horse… give me a minnit and I’ll think of it.

13. chizu says:

Just off the top of my head, there are a couple cookies in Chinese called “pig ears” and “cow tongues”, due to their shapes resemblance. (Then again, Chinese also eat actual pig ears and cow tongues…)

14. florsie says:

They are pretty common here in Mexico and they are good. If you are into very sweet chocolate, you may want to try them. They are called “cat tongues” because of the shape and size.

15. miguelggarcia says:

“Lenguas de Gato” chocolates have been sold in Mexico for 50+ years. They’re actually really good.

16. HogwartsProfessor says:

*snicker* Next time I go into the Latino market I’ll look for these. They might get them; they have different weird stuff all the time.

• cash_da_pibble says:

I find that Mexico has quite a sweet tooth. Even their “cheap” cookies have delicious flavor, and their gourmet goodies are to die for.

17. Press1forDialTone says:

People have thought up some really sick stuff since we
    started moving our fingers away from our crotches.

• Pagan wants a +1 button says:

When did we do that? Have you looked around people lately? I see guys holding their dicks all the time. Just walking around hanging on like it’s so syphilitic that it’ll actually fall off if they let go.

18. bjcolby15 says:

I think the cat’s scared to testify against the dog…(dons sunglasses)…because he doesn’t want to be a stool pigeon.

EEYAAAAHHHHHH!

19. bjcolby15 says:

Dude…it wasn’t my fault my owner dyed me pink…she dyed the dog CRIMSON and he thinks it’s wonderful! And I still have my tongue, see?!

20. TouchMyMonkey says:

I remember them as Katzenzunge.

21. Jozef says:

Very popular and very tasty in my home country of Slovakia. And in the Czech republic. But I guess they fall into the Kinder Eggs category for the US; I can’t otherwise explain why they are not sold here.

22. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

This girl needs some education on food. Some food just sound like gross but aren’t made of the real thing. Grasshopper pies aren’t made from grasshoppers. Spotted dicks are not made of real dicks. Ordering sex-on-the-beach in a bar doesn’t mean some random guy will throw you in an unmarked van, drive to a secluded beach and jump you… list goes on…

I know there’s been cookies like these in the Philippines, in the same name — it’s not choco-covered though, more like a very thin cookie that sort of tastes like Nilla wafers (http://lutongpinoy.info/lengua-de-gato-recipe/). They are good with ice cream (like barquillos).

Although I do think it’s weird that they put a photo of a cat in the product. It looks like cat food now.