Navigate Through Your Social Security Information With New Online Tool

Remember the year you couldn’t even find a babysitting job and cashed out all your savings bonds just to afford groceries and beer? The U.S. Social Security Administration does, and now all of your past earning info and more is online, ready and waiting for you to walk down memory lane or prepare for your future.

Unless you’ve just turned 25, or are 60 or older, you won’t be receiving your Social Security statements in paper form in the mail. The new online tool allows citizens to create an account and then have access to their past earning record, as well as estimated benefits at retirement.

Also included:

• Estimates of the retirement and disability benefits you may receive;

• Estimates of benefits your family may get when you receive Social Security or die;

• A list of your lifetime earnings according to Social Security’s records;

• The estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid;

• Information about qualifying and signing up for Medicare;

• Things to consider for those age 55 and older who are thinking of retiring;

• General information about Social Security for everyone;

• The opportunity to apply online for retirement and disability benefits;

• and A printable version of your Social Security Statement.

I’m all signed up, and am even more depressed that I spent all that time working at a cinema grill in the summers for such a pittance. The smell of fry grease and the soundtrack to Chicken Run still haunt me.

Get Your Social Security Statement Online [SocialSecurity.gov]

Comments

1. prag2 says:

I have a security freeze from all three credit reporting agencies on my account so it won’t let me set up a mySocialSecurity account. I tried calling SSA to find out with which agency I should have the freeze temporarily lifted and they have never heard of their new service and insist no one under the age of 62 can use their website. I tried explaining that this is a new service but they kept telling me I am too young to collect SS. Our high-tech government at work…

According to USAToday they use Experian so I will try again.

• msbask says:

That’s pretty funny. I’m 45 and just signed up no problem.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The website itself says they use Experian.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

thanks for restoring my faith in government bureaucracy. i just had a positive experience with online troubleshooting at the DMV and my world felt off-kilter

2. Buckus says:

That was eye-opening, to say the least. The full year after I graduated from college, I earned twice as much as the full year I worked previous to graduation. And that wasn’t some McJob, either.

Stay in school, kids!

• who? says:

Yep, me too. The year I graduated, I made 2.5 times as much during the last half of the year, after I graduated, than I made during the first half of the year. Both were full time jobs, and the pre-graduation job was even a union job.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yeah, i was just reminiscing: “oh, that was the year i only had one job.”

3. Eremis77 says:

And coming next week: myIdentityTheft.com!

• bluline says:

I’m wondering: Is the SSA site at the link in the story legitimate? How does anyone verify that this is a real SSA site and not some look-alike ID-theft site?

• who? says:

Clicking on the “Sign-in” button goes to https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do, which is encrypted and signed with a digital certificate belonging to “The Social Security Administration at Baltimore, Maryland”.

I don’t like that they make people click a link on an insecure site to get to the secure site, but it appears to be a legitimate site belonging to the social security administration. Just make sure you check the URL before you start typing any sensitive information to make sure you haven’t been redirected somewhere else.

• bsteimel says:

You should always check the certificate of a secure website. You should also know that .gov web addresses are restricted and can only be held by government organizations. Not full proof on that alone but it’s a good bet if it’s .gov it’s sponsored by the government. edu is the only other restricted top level domain.

• SabreDC says:

Close. The restrictions come by way of sponsorship of TLDs. Any organization that sponsors TLDs can restrict their use. The US government sponsors .mil and .gov and restrict those. Like .edu, TLDs like .aero, .asia, and .travel are also sponsored, and as a result, are restricted by their sponsoring organizations. There are currently 14 sponsored/”restricted” TLDs.

• spamtasticus says:

It is still rife for a man in the middle attack and fake certificates.

4. Lethe says:

I’ve got to say, this sounds amazing. I wish there was something similar up here in Canada.

5. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

-insert Obama “Not Bad” rage face here-

6. sherrietee says:

Wow. It said I earned $85 when I was 15. I don’t remember having a job at all at 15. (Well other than occasionally babysitting, but that wasn’t income I ever reported.)

• ChaiChat says:

Did you have a savings account that was earning interest? That is reported to the IRS.

• kenj0418 says:

It’s not earned income though – so it wouldn’t show up for Social Security or Medicare.

• sherrietee says:

I did, but I don’t think it was $85 worth (then again, interest rates WERE better back then.) I had stock at the time, but I don’t think I sold any, and the dividends were always reinvested back then. It is a puzzlement.

7. j2.718ff says:

You receive paper statements if you’ve recently turned 25? That seems… odd. For how long do you continue receiving statements? Or is it just one on your 25th birthday?

8. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Hahahahahahaha…. Here is what my account says:

Your spouse or minor child may be eligible for a special one-time death benefit of $255.

But what if I die 2 times?!

/s

9. MrEvil says:

Nice, I somehow never got my statement when I turned 25. Either it wasn’t delivered or my dad intercepted it thinking it was his (We have the exact same initials). Pretty cool to look at my income history and how far I’ve come since working in a grocery store.

10. Blueskylaw says:

I can’t wait until they they start advertising services and selling your online
    info like Facebook does. Well, after all, we have to pay for it somehow.

11. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Tried and my information is not up to date. Stellar.

12. eturowski says:

-Estimates of the retirement and disability benefits you may receive;
    -Estimates of benefits your family may get when you receive Social Security or die;

Ha! Hahahaha! Good one, Consumerist. I’m 27; I have accepted that putting money into Social Security and waiting for benefits is like putting hundred-dollar bills in bottles, launching them into the ocean, and expecting them to return one day.

• kenj0418 says:

Well, you can at least see how many bottles you have put out to sea on the site then.

13. mwc5851 says:

I too tried…I answered all the questions correctly about previous addresses, phone numbers, etc. It said it couldn’t match my responses to my record and that my account data would be locked for 24 hours.

14. agent888 says:

So I look at these numbers, and wonder if truly that money will be there when I’m ready to retire.

For some nagging reason I doubt it~

• Buckus says:

The money’s not there now. It’s a pay-as-you-go system, so you better hope the economy is good and there’s a lot of young people with jobs when you retire.

• voogru says:

When they raise social security taxes to shore up the shortages, younger kids will be able to ditch the country and net more income elsewhere.

• kabamm says:

It may be a pay-go system, but we’ve been paying extra since 1983 in order to build the trust fund for when the baby boom retires, so, in fact, some of that money is already there.

15. rchavezn says:

Nice indeed.

16. HogwartsProfessor says:

Wow, if I retire at 62, I’ll only get $738 a month. Sheesh. I have to wait to 67 to get anything worth a damn. Guess I’ll wait then.

• tiatrack says:

You must not have put much in then. I’m only 30, and my benefit at 62 is $1,508.

• voogru says:

You might want to adjust inflation to better understand how little that amount of money will be.

But you’re all wrong, your SSA benefit is going to be $0. Because it won’t exist in it’s current form, the younger generations will be seeking jobs overseas and they won’t be able to tax younger kids into oblivion to pay for your benefits.

17. ellmar says:

I signed up just in time to get a message that says they are shutting down the site for maintenance in 7 minutes. Looks like they need to shut down every damned night at 1:00 Eastern.

18. kranky says:

The username/password rules on that site are ridiculous.

And “Chicken Run” was mentioned in the OP. When that movie came out, there was a letter to the editor in the local paper from some poor woman. Her letter was about how moved she was watching Chicken Run, and how surprised she was to learn the chickens share the same desire for freedom as humans do. I’m hoping by now she has lived that down.

19. HenryPython says:

Got to love Social Security. Probably the longest running pyramid scheme in the U.S.

• kabamm says:

So, you prefer your old folks hungry in the streets?

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Why should he care? He’s not one of them.

Oh wait, some people care about people that aren’t them? News to me.

• crazymikie says:

I am 35 years old. If I took the money that I’ve been forced to pay into SS, along with my future contributions, and put them in a 401k and only got a 0.1% annual return, I’d have about 50% more money when I retire at 70, than I would if I collected SS from 70 years old and died at 78.

To put it in perspective, SS will pay me ~3k a month when I’m 70 and I retire. If you do that math, over 8 years I would collect about $300k. If I managed the money myself and got that horrible return of 0.1%, I’d have about $450k in my account when I’m 70. I wouldn’t have to wait to collect the full amount. Assuming 5% return on that 401k, I’d have $1.25 million.

You tell me how this system is helping anyone….

20. Peach422 says:

In answering the history questions, regarding loans, mortgages, etc. – it said, “You purchased veterinary insurance for a pet” – not “You MAY have purchased veterinary insurance for a pet in…” with a list of companies I had never heard of- I have never purchased any such insurance, so I chose “None apply”. Was this one of those bogus questions that they throw in now and then, or is it possible that someone used my info to purchase pet insurance?
    What do you think?

• kranky says:

Sometimes they ask a question that is irrelevant to you. It’s normal. I would not assume anyone purchased pet insurance using your info.

• CalicoGal says:

It’s one of those “Does not apply” questions— it asked me about a Home Equity Line of Credit that I MAY have opened in 1998… well I did not ever own property until a few years after that! So I put “does not apply” and it was fine.

• HomerSimpson says:

They’re gotcha questions. Sometimes they’re correct but most of the time it’s “does not apply”

21. samonela says:

Aw man I stopped paying into social security 3 years ago…this public employees retirement better work out!! *crosses fingers*