Half Of Americans Think This Whole Facebook Thing Is Just A Passing Fad

Perhaps Facebook isn’t here to stay — at least based on the reactions of half of the country toward the seemingly super pervasive social network. About 50% of Americans think Facebook is just a passing fad, according to a new poll. It follows, then, in the build-up to its initial public stock offering, that half also say its expected asking price is too high.

A new Associated Press-CNBC poll found the shrug-ish reaction of half of America in its most recent survey. Also included in the results: More than 40% log in to Facebook to share news, personal observations and photos at least once a weekand around 900 million people around the world are users. Facebook’s revenue grew from $777 million in 2009 to $3.7 billion last year, and it’s expected to debut on Wall Street at around $100 billion.

About a third of those in the poll think that expected value makes sense, while around 50% say it’s too high. The younger adults who log on to Facebook every day are more willing to say Facebook is a good bet, at around 59% of adults under 35. Meanwhile, only 21% of senior citizens have an account on Facebook at all.

Even with the youngin’s digging Mark Zuckerberg’s product, just under half of adults, 46%, say Facebook’s timeline is short, and only 43% think it has staying power.

Half of Americans call Facebook a fad [Associated Press]

Comments

1. Bsamm09 says:

I’m looking forward to the IPO. I have been curious about them for a while and can’t wait to read their 10-K.

2. nishioka says:

> Perhaps Facebook isn’t here to stay — at least based on the reactions of half of the country toward the seemingly super pervasive social network. About 50% of Americans think Facebook is just a passing fad, according to a new poll.

On the other hand, that means 50% of Americans DON’T think it’s a passing fad… if you can get 155 million people behind anything, that means it probably isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

• JennQPublic says:

Exactly. 43% of adults think it has staying power? That’s significant, and makes me want to become a hermit…

• Power Imbalance says:

MySpace

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

I know, Geocities won’t go anywhere!
      I mean Classmates won’t go anywhere!
      I mean SixDegress won’t go anywhere!
      I mean Friendster won’t go anywhere!
      I mean MySpace won’t go anywhere!
      I mean Bebo won’t go anywhere!
      I mean Facebook won’t go anywhere!

• TerraSin says:

That’s true so long as nothing comes that attracts the masses more. There will always be something bigger and better, it’s just a matter of time till it happens.

The thing Facebook has going for it is that it’s not only a connection for people to connect to each other, but it’s also a connection for people to connect to companies, bands, celebrities, etc. in a way that networks like Twitter can’t fill. Two things can come from the future: either FB will die when people start moving to something better and the companies will follow suit, or FB will become overloaded with spam to the point where people stop following brands and companies and leave for the next big thing.

3. Gman says:

The other half linked to the poll on Facebook.

4. Invader Zim says:

I think I’m tired of hearing about Facebook, meh

5. u1itn0w2day says:

Whew! At least half the people see the real deal. BUT… there are too many facebookers with pending privacy, scam or they posted on the internet issues.

6. bluline says:

I’ve never used Facebook and don’t intend to, so I can’t say if it’s a fad or not. What I do know is that nothing lasts forever, so Facebook must continue to reinvent itself or it will succumb to the next best thing to come along, whatever that may be.

7. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I read Annie’s Mailbox in the newspaper, and just roll my eyes when people write letters whining about what they read, didn’t read, or were insulted by on Facebook. OMG – she wouldn’t friend me! OMG – she posted a picture, and didn’t include thus and such. I wish the whole thing would go away.

8. cameronl says:

MySpace.

’nuff said

9. mattyb says:

Sure, it won’t be around forever. Everything comes to an end. The real question is how long will it take? Myspace used to be cool, AOL Instant Messenger used to be cool too.

10. valkyrievf2x says:

Well, it really depends on FB itself at this point. If they remain close to what they are now (as different as it is compared to a few years ago), they might stick around. but if they end up changing too much, a la Myspace, then they’ll probably have droves of people leave. I mean, once the company goes public, the investors will be the ones having a say, and God forbid they don’t get a return on their investment…

11. PunditGuy says:

RIM. Gateway. Netscape. Walkman. ZIP drives. CompuServe. Infocomm. Commodore. Just because a crap ton of people use something doesn’t mean it’ll be around forever.

12. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I’ve been told, flat-out, that these days, using Facebook is a “social obligation,” and that by not logging into it frequently, I am being “unsocial” and “hipster” and “obviously uninterested in the goings-on of your friends and social circle.”

And I think that’s asinine. I don’t trust Facebook with my personal information. I try to be fairly serious about my online privacy, and so the entire focus of Facebook–you know, taking my personal information and selling it to the highest bidder–is something with which I can never find myself being comfortable.

Sure, I like my friends, sure I want to keep up with them, but there are plenty of ways of doing it that are so much safer when it comes to privacy. :/

• Torgonius wants an edit button says:

I get the same thing from my friends.

So I tell them that they have my email address, which is the same one I’ve had since 1997, and they have my cell number, which hasn’t changed since 2002. Both work. If they can’t be bothered to use them, they are failing in their ‘social obligation’ to me.

• Geekybiker says:

FWIW People thought visiting was the social obligation, then letters, then phone calls. Now emails and even texts. Its really a moving target. If the bulk of your social group uses facebook or any other medium to communicate and you choose not to get on board you’re going to be left out.

• HeatherLynn30 says:

I think it’s a failure of your social obligation to think that wishing a close friend Happy Birthday on their wall or clicking “like” when they announce their marriage actually suffices.

Yeah, the latter one actually happened to me. Most of my friends didn’t even send a card, but they were all over that like button.

That’s when I dumped my account and, frankly, if that’s the last I hear from some of those people, I guess there wasn’t a lot there to begin with.

• shthar says:

You’re a lucky guy, now you know exactly who NOT to hang out with.

• jesusofcool says:

I was on Facebook from very early on as I was in college when it started. Oddly enough, I’ve noticed that in the last two or so years as it’s blown up among the general population, I along with many of my mid to late 20s friends have stopped posting much content. We use it as a sort of modern rolodex – a way to quickly look up where a former classmate or acquaintance lives now or if they’re married or have kids or where they went to school – but I see far less constant posting than I used to and much more use of privacy settings. I think this is a far more sensible use than sharing every bit of information and reflects a generation that’s become tired and overly aware of the consequences of public oversharing, but it doesn’t exactly bode well for Facebook since their business model is entirely based on people constantly logging in and providing tons of content that can be sold to advertisers.

13. Rick Sphinx says:

I don’t use it the way I’d like to. When it started sharing things I’ve read, without me knowing. I hardly use it now. Never know when my setting will get changed by Facebook, don’t trust it. If I could share what I want, when I want, and nothing else, I would use it more.

14. Murph1908 says:

Of course it is. It’ll eventually be replaced by something else, like MySpace and others before it.

Some of the decisions Zuckerburg has made regarding privacy and how the company is run I don’t understand. But I didn’t go to Harvard and am not running a business worth billions.

I think he is doing the smart thing here. Selling high. The IPO will give him a literally tons of cash, and he can invest that in his next idea while Facebook slowly fades from this apex.

15. YouDidWhatNow? says:

We need to worry more about the half of Americans that think FB *isn’t* a passing fad. This is clearly not the sort of thing that Al Gore invented the internet for…

16. gellfex says:

When I heard it’s market cap is expected to be higher than Disney, owner of TV networks, movie studios and worldwide them parks, I knew there’s a train wreck in it’s future. Apple’s value is absurdly high too due to absurdly high profit margins, but at least they actually make something.

17. duncanblackthorne says:

Anyone remember MySpace? Or LiveJournal? No? If you do, then you’re thinking, “What happened to them?” They became unfashionable, as Facebook will in a few years. The next “big thing” will come along, and like good little sheep everyone will flock to that, turning Facebook into Failbook.

18. Nobby says:

After the IPO, FB will stick around long enough for a few to get rich and many to lose their money.

19. xspook says:

I know I’m over it.

20. Extended-Warranty says:

I think too many people are mixing up fad and what happened with MySpace. People aren’t going to get tired of social networking. There’s still a lot of enhancements we have yet to see. If Facebook doesn’t continue to innovate, they may be left behind. To say social networking is going to go away shows how completely clueless you are.

21. Kavatar says:

MySpace isn’t a proper analogy because even at the height of its popularity, MySpace didn’t have nearly the same recognition as Facebook does. Even my mom is on Facebook.

Facebook is as much of a passing fad as World of Warcraft is. They’ll remain popular as long as their genres remain popular. There won’t be a “next big thing” that everyone will flock to. They’ll only die out if social networking or MMORPGs heavily wane in popularity (something that is arguably happening now with MMORPGs).

22. powdered beefmeat says:

Fbook Is an over glorified chat room. There will always be some form of note passing, Fbook just happens to be the current provider. Fbook makes it easy to keep in contact with minimal effort. You want to know how many “friends” you have. See how many people will show up to help you move.

• HeatherLynn30 says:

Yep. It’s alarming to me how many people seem to believe that these are real, honest to god friendships. They’re not.

23. A.Mercer says:

I believe that Facebook will become passe as soon as something new and shiny enough comes along. I don’t see Facebook going away. It will be here years and years from now. It just won’t be the most popular one. It will join Myspace and people will make fun of others who use Facebook. Social networking, however, is probably not a fad. That will hang around. People are really liking this ability to share their lives with the world but not need to have web programming skills to do it.

24. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I’m over FB. I’ve always said this before, I get more interaction in G+.

I just stalk people in FB — I have more people there that would rather post their every move than actually interacting. At least, that’s how my social circle is. :P

25. axhandler1 says:

People were probably saying the same thing about computers during the 80s. tell you what, I wish I’d bought some shares of Apple stock when it was trading at $5 a pop. What is it now, $560 a share? Not too shabby.

26. cruiseyone says:

I used to like FB. It was a very useful tool. Then, about 2 years ago, Mark decided to overhaul the site and turn it into what it is today. My private information isn’t safe, I’m flooded with worthless ads and garbage from every imaginable site and cross-site.

Since I know it will never return to its glory days, I can only hope Mark makes a boatload of money and some other enterprising (and not so shifty) person comes up with another useful site.

It’s not worth $100 million dollars by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe a grateful public will throw him a bone, of let’s say, $20-$30 billion. I’m ready to laugh at any amount he makes.

27. cruiseyone says:

28. shthar says:

I posted this on my MySpace page!

29. Galium says:

What’s facebook? I heard it is something like email, but that you let others read your mail. When you get a message does it say “you got face” or “you got book”?

30. superml says:

My mother thinks it’s a passing fad.

It may be true, I gave up facebook a year ago.

31. Stewrt says:

Facebook, just the next MySpace. I’m starting to get sick of the whole Apple fad too. I was in one of their stores getting my 4 year old lappy repaired and could not believe all the annoying love for tech toy people in there. Don’t get me wrong, I mostly love their stuff, but sick of hearing about it all the time.

32. AdviceDog says:

You know what used to be big?

Myspace