Verizon Wants Me To Pay $300 ETF Because Of Its $450 Error

When Consumerist reader Timothy bought his wife a new smartphone for her birthday last December, he thought he was just doing something nice for his special someone. Little did he know he was hopping aboard the grotesque merry-go-round that is Verizon Wireless customer service.

After only a few days, his wife’s brand new Commando smartphone would no longer ring if it had gone into keypad lock mode. Several calls to Verizon Wireless later and they were sent a replacement. Except instead of getting a new Commando, they were given a used Droid X3.

“The fact that I bought a brand new smartphone that was faulty and Verizon replaces it with a used smartphone really ticks me off,” writes Timothy, “but left with no other options I agreed to take the used smartphone.”

So Timothy and his wife packed up the broken Commando and sent if off to Verizon. A couple weeks later, but before their next bill came, Timothy’s wife received a text from Verizon confirming that her old phone had been received.

“This is where the story should end, right?” asks Timothy. “Unfortunately it does not.”

Shortly after receiving that text, Timothy gets a bill that includes a $449.95 equipment charge.

“I called Verizon and to my surprise they told me that they never received the smartphone we sent back,” he tells Consumerist. “I kindly explained that we received a text from Verizon that it was received. To which the Verizon rep responded, ‘Yes, I see that we did send you text confirming receipt.’ So I’m like ‘OK, then what seems to be
the issue?’ The call ended with me agree to pay just my bill and not the equipment charge and the Verizon rep agree to look into the equipment charge and get back to me.”

Then comes the February bill. And there is that $449.95 charge again.

“I call Verizon again and again agreed to pay the bill and not the equipment charge and the Verizon rep promised to call me back about the equipment charge,” says Timothy. “This time the Verizon rep called back and left a voicemail telling me that the $449.95 equipment charge has been removed.”

All seemed to be just fine/dandy when Timothy’s March bill showed a credit of $108.53.

But then came the April bill. And the $449.95 charge returned from its one month vacation.

This time, when he calls VZW, he’s told that the company records show that Verizon sent him not one, but two replacement phones, a Droid X3 and Droid X2. Now, Timothy had recently purchased an X2 for himself, but he’d never had it replaced, nor had Verizon accidentally sent him one.

“I told them that there is no way in hell Verizon would send TWO replacement phones to replace ONE faulty one and that if Verizon doesn’t take the $449.95 equipment charge off my bill for good, I will terminate my contract,” writes Timothy. “The Verizon rep informed me, ‘That is fine; it will cost you $300 to terminate the contract.’ I said, ‘Like hell.’”

Timothy, who had been spending $210/month with Verizon wants Big Red to answer his question: “Is YOUR $449.95 mistake worth not having me as a customer?”

We’re putting that same question to VZW and will update if they comment or do anything to resolve the issue.

Comments

1. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I can no longer pay more than $50 per month for cell phone service. Thank you for teaching me the evils of phone companies, Why would I pay 130 per month to an evil company when I can pay $45 to another evil company for the same service? Go Straight Talk!

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Yup. We were strong ST converts…until we moved to our new place, at which neither AT&T nor Verizon has acceptable coverage, so ST wouldn’t work anymore for us.

Having said that…ST’s very existence utterly invalidates the cell phone plans from the big traditional providers.

Here’s the short version for people who might care:

ST sells a myriad of phones to cover pretty much any need you might have – non-subsidized. You like this Android phone with the touchscreen and all that? K, $150…or whatever. But then it’s your phone, and you didn’t enter a 2-year contract and you can stop using ST any time you want.

Depending on the phone you bought, you’ll run on either Verizon’s or AT&T’s network (I think I heard a rumor they even expanded to Sprint recently). ST doesn’t actually have any cellular infrastructure – they rent time on AT&T/Verizon’s networks, and resell it to you. From a functional standpoint, you’re an AT&T/Verizon customer.

Here’s the thing…you can get unlimited *everything* on your phone for $45 a month. Voice, text, data, turn-by-turn GPS, the whole kit and kaboodle. Un. Limited. $45. No contract.

Compare that to the cost of an “unlimited” plan from AT&T or Verizon. It’s half…or less.

Keep in mind that AT&T/Verizon is selling their network usage to ST at a price that allows them some profit – otherwise they wouldn’t do it. ST then turns around and sells that service to you at $45 a month, and they’re making a profit.

…so if AT&T et al can make a profit on utterly unlimited network usage through a reseller doing it for $45 a month, why exactly are they charging their direct customers twice that (or more)?

Answer: because they can. And you’re letting them – possibly because you don’t know any better. Now you do.

To be fair, there are some catches to ST. One is they don’t allow tethering…officially. I tethered to my ST phone on a regular basis to check email and web surf on my laptop, never had any issues. I would imagine that they might be unpleased with you if you were streaming Netflix on it or something though. Also, ST phones *do not roam* – either you have coverage under AT&T, Verizon, whatever…or you don’t. Obviously for the *vast* majority of people in this country, that’s not a concern. Just rural dwellers like me. There also is no international service…so if you think you’re going to take your phone with you on vacation to, say, Japan…forget it.

So…if you actually happen to be a person who *has* to tether to your phone to download lots of data, or you live in a place where there is no AT&T/Verizon covereage, or you *have* to use your phone internationally…then yeah, forget ST.

For everyone else in the country…I can’t even fathom any way to justify not using ST.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…OK so maybe that wasn’t so short. I think what gets me all excited about it is how ST exposes what obviously are *massive* margins on the parts of the big providers – when you’re literally getting the same exact service.

RAR!

[turns green, rips off shirt, goes on rampage]

• JJFIII says:

You do understand part of that monthly service fee is to pay for the PHONE. A non subsidized smart phone could run 5-800 dollars. Virgin. ST, Boost et al can not sell the same phone at a discounted rate. There is also the fact that without Verizon or ATT, or Sprint, ST is out of business. They do not have ANY costs associated with infrastructure. So if you want better service, I guess you hope that Verizon decides to upgrade, because ST isn’t going to do anything about it. The networks are under capacity at this point, BUT, if the network becomes over used, guess which calls and data are going to be gone.
          By the way, my family plan and corporate rate with Sprint for UNLIMITED 3 people comes to roughly $50 a month. That includes all taxes etc. You also are paying for service in advance.
          If ST meets your needs, then stick with them, but it really is not a panacea for every person. It really gets old having people on here tell others how much smarter they think they are because they found a service that works for them.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Ummm…no, it’s pretty much impossible for ST to be subsidizing your phone at all. How do I know this? Simple – no contract.

Let’s pretend that PhoneX costs ST $200 to purchase. Are they going to sell that phone off the shelf at Wal-Mart for less than $200? If you think the answer is “yes” then refer to the opening line up there. No. Contract. No way to ensure a stream of revenue from that customer with which you can recoup your subsidy.

So no…ST isn’t going to subsidize phones. There’s no possible way they could.

You’re still using the same AT&T/Verizon/Sprint network. So…same service. Whatever AT&T/Verizon/Sprint does…that’s what you get. If you want to fear-monger about “what if AT&T decides they don’t want to make money from ST anymore?” then you go right ahead. Clearly they’re making money at it, or else they wouldn’t do it.

Also…I see no available evidence to believe that I can go to Sprint and get 3 phones with unlimited plans for $50. You saying that’s so doesn’t make it true, and even if you have some *magic* corporate rate, well, the rest of the world doesn’t – so your information helps no one.

• castlecraver says:

This would be true if StraightTalk was selling the latest phones. They don’t. The best unit they sell in my zip (for $320 on their website, but you can get it for under $200 at Walmart et al) is the LG Optimus Q, which is nearly 2 years old. Today it’s a basic, fairly priced, entry level smartphone. The same caliber phone you would get for “free” on contract with one of the big telcos.

Not that there’s anything wrong with the phones, mind you. I’m certain a phone like that does everything a lot of folks need just fine.

• conquestofbread says:

I use Virgin Mobile and I bought the same phone (Optimus V, same phone with a different model number for the different carrier).

It was $130.

I like Virgin Mobile for the most part. It works well outside, but the reception inside is usually poor. The data is slow, but it works great over my wifi network.

Is it the most awesome phone? No. But is it a good deal, compared to spending $60+/month for a flip phone with no data? Yup.

I guess I have pretty low standards, though, this is my first smart phone and I just got it a few months ago.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Yup, all Android phones are on Sprints network. (Last time I heard, at least.)

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

• NeverLetMeDown says:

“I try not to spread the work of ST too much. They’ll get too big and greedy just like AT&T.”

Yeah, don’t want them to get too big. They’re only a $60BN annual sales company, after all.

Straight Talk is part of TracFone, which is owned by America Movil, the global wireless company.

• Costner says:

I’ve been told that at times text messages and network speeds using a non-contract service can be horrid. For instance I’ve heard that sometimes if you send a text on a Boost Mobile or Straight Talk phone, it might take 20 minutes or two hours to reach the recipient. That pretty much makes texting useless in most cases.

Aside from that, I don’t really see any negatives to one of these plans.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I’ve never experienced any issues at all in the 1 year I’ve had Straight Talk.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

I never had any issue…and I was on ST for, oh, a couple years.

• Dyscord says:

I’ve never had any trouble whatsoever with VM.

• jefeloco says:

Crap, I get that delay at least one or two days a month anyways when sending texts to people who aren’t with At&t as well ( I am postpaid, not prepaid). There was one weekend that both my mother and nephew thought I was mad because they kept sending me texts and I never replied… Can’t reply to something you never received, right? The following Monday at 8:30a or so I got this deluge or 20 texts or so, all starting with “how you doing?” and ending with “I don’t know what I did to make you mad, but I’m sorry, how can I fix it”.

• Dyscord says:

I’m on Virgin Mobile. And while I would love to have some of those Verizon smart phones, no way in hell I’m paying almost 80 bucks for voice and data. Especially since on Virgin, it only costs 35 bucks for unlimited text, data and 300 minutes (of which I NEVER use)

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Yeah…there’s a $30 option on ST too – I think it’s like 1,000 minutes of talk time and 1,000 texts per month, but something silly like only 20Mb of data. Which, of course, would be fine if you don’t use your phone for any data usage at all.

• spongebue says:

HTC Evo coming on Virgin Mobile May 31! 4G!

• vorpalette says:

Mmmm…my fiance and I LOVE our Evos. We don’t have 4G service around here, though.

• dks64 says:

I had the WORST service with Virgin Mobile. I would drop calls every day and half of the time, my messages wouldn’t go through. It wasn’t my phone, others in my family who had the same service had the same problems. So after wasting $40 a month for a service I couldn’t use, I went back to Verizon. I now have service pretty much everywhere and I’ve dropped 1 call since I’ve had my iPhone, which is almost at a year now. I get a discount through my boyfriend’s work, so I pay $71 a month for unlimited text and data, 400 minutes, and free nights and weekends (which you don’t get with VM). It’s perfect for me and I don’t mind paying that extra money for reliable service.

• incident_man says:

Virgin uses Sprint towers exclusively. Sprint = slow data speeds and sucky coverage = no thank you.

• The Cupcake Nazi says:

Sprint = good data speeds even on 3G and great coverage. Except for a couple extremely remote places in between cities, I’ve always had coverage for phone purposes, at the very least. That’s all over the eastern half of the US (St. Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Boston, Cincinnatti, Columbus, Lexington, Atlanta, Nashville, Little Rock, Orlando, Knoxville, Durham, Memphis, New York, Chicago, Providence, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Norfolk, and rural PA, Rural NY state, the northern hills of Georgia), as well as multiple trips to the west, including a cross-country drive last year (Dallas, Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Las Cruces to name a few…).

Clearly your experience is not the only one. Given that I’ve had great service though in places where my co-workers come back going “The cell signal sucked! I couldn’t get anything!” from several of those cities, and they used AT&T or Verizon, I’m going to have to assume that Sprint’s service isn’t the issue.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

$45/mo is close to the incremental cost to add an iPhone to my family plan ($48.50, 30 for data 10 for the line, then fees). I have 3 iPhones and 2 regular phones for $280. To bump that to 5 iPhones would bring it to $340 (with plenty of data, unlimited text, and enough unlimited minute classes to keep a huge rollover balance).

So I’m paying about a $90 premium total for AT&T over straight talk if I have 2-5 iPhones. With 5 iPhones that would be a reasonable $15/mo/phone, barely enough to cover the subsidy.

• incident_man says:

If ST is working with Sprint, too, then their days are numbered. Sprint would have the balls to undercut Verizon and AT&T then ST customers would be left with Sprint’s suck-ass coverage. I gave up my Sprint SERO account just to get away from them.

• jeb says:

Actually, possibly not. Straight Talk is owned by American Movil, the same company as Tracfone. That’s why they’re able to offer plans on all of the major carriers (they have a basic Android phone for Verizon now, and they have SIM cards for both AT&T and T-Mobile.)

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

My problem is that Straight Talk looks like a good deal (looking for a cell I can get for my mom, who would like a smart phone), but I have a moral objection to doing business with Wal-mart. Yet it seems like Wal-mart may be the only company big enough to offer this.

• Chris says:

You don’t have to deal with Walmart. You can buy phones, sim cards, minutes and plans on their website. It’s not owned by Walmart.

• VintageLydia says:

Yup! The best part for Mr. Vintage and I is he gets $95 stipend from his work for his cell phone. This is a flat number given to him no matter the phone or plan so he can have unlimited voice (he often has to do conference calls and the like from his phone and his company rather not force everyone have a company phone. Unlimited voice is a necessity.) Since we’re both on Straight Talk, we’re essentially being PAID $5 a month for our phones. And since they started the Bring Your Own Phone thing, we got to keep the iPhones we already had! Only downside: no MMS, but we email, Facebook, etc, I hardly miss it.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Wow…I didn’t know that ST would let you bring your own phone now. Now I’m even madder that we don’t have AT&T/Verizon coverage at our new place >:(

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Gald you mentioned this. Our T-Mobile contract for $130 crazy bucks a month is about to be up. Straight talk has sim cards we can get for the phones we already have and much cheaper plans. So glad to see this.

2. dush says:

This is why I keep my old phone rather than upgrading to a smart phone.

3. deathbecomesme says:

Not really reason enough to warrant a cancellation. I would just keep escalating it as far as it will go. Email Carpet Bomb etc etc. They do* keep crediting the amount so that is something. Atleast they aren’t sending him to collections over it (yet).

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

“At least they haven’t sent him to collections yet.”

Fixed that for you. You’re welcome.

4. Damage Incorporated says:

Where can I get this “Droid X3″ you speak of?

(I assuming they meant the regular Droid 3)

5. Mike says:

I don’t understand why anyone would ever get a cell phone contract. I mean, it’s not the OPs fault that Verizon continuously screws up, but he did enter into a financial contract where he has prove at every point that it’s Verizon’s fault and get Verizon to agree with him when there’s no financial pressure to do so, and since the contract includes (I’m sure) an arbitration clause he has no legal recourse. Since class action suits are nullified, Verizon gets to institutionalize ripping off its customers. They’re scum for making these contracts, but we’re idiots for signing up on them.

• Lyn Torden says:

Class action suits by State Attornies General are not nullified. Send a complete and detailed history of your issue. The AGs of SOME states will collect these and if enough come in, will sue. The others will think first about their personal stock holdings in these companies.

6. Scooter McGee says:

I had this same problem with Verizon once. A defective replacement was sent to me for my defective phone. Back to VZ it went with the FedEx label they provided. I had the signature of the employee, date and time they received it, but it was not processed for four months. Every month I had to call them and explain the situation to have the $400 charge removed from my bill. Finally, they got around to processing the phone and the calls stopped, but I was one pissed off customer by that point.

• bkdlays says:

I also had the same happen, as did several of my friends.

THis is STANDARD procedure with Verizon.

I did wait to send mine back for about 2 weeks. But I had a tracking # and each time I called the rep would track it, but tell me “it doesn’t mean we have it” Whatever that means

They suspended my phone one time and thats when I became very angry and found the regional mangers contact info.

Always escalate the situation immediately to corporate relations. They have half a brain and can actually determine that a tracking # is indeed proof that you mailed it back.

This is very cut and dry and there is no excuse for the poor system they have.

• Gorbachev says:

Yep. Had to deal with similar issues (mistakes by Verizon, refunds issued, taken off) for four months when I got my FIOS service a few years back.

Anything that’s not a straightforward new account is guaranteed to be screwed up by Verizon. I don’t know what they do at that company, but their record keeping is completely unacceptable.

7. RandomLetters says:

I don’t understand why after only a few days of having a new phone you’d accept a used phone as a replacement. Walking into a Verizon store instead of dealing with thier customer service over the phone would have gotten the OP another new phone I bet.

• Intheknow says:

Yep. Get thyself back to the store and make a fuss – maybe after work or on a Saturday afternoon for maximum potential customer impact. WHY in the world would the OP accept this kind of treatment? I’d be all over the local Verizon store until I got what I paid for.

• thesalad says:

Unless for some rare reason you can’t get to the store you bought it from.
        My brother works on a cruise line, and he upgraded his phone when he was in NY on his way back to where we live / visiting friends. He then had an issue with it.. had to either take a used phone, or take it back to NYC to repalce it. “each store is independent and we can’t swap out phones that were purchsed at another verizon store”

• 4Real says:

I settled for a certifified preowned Droid 3 because that is all Verizon was willing to do have several long phone calls that exhausted me to no end. – 4Real (aka Tim)

8. BigDragon says:

$210 a month?! Are you insane?! For that much money a month I’d want them to be kissing my feet the moment I called them with an issue. No waiting time, no delays, no excuses. That’s an astronomical amount of money to spend on cell phone service. That’s why I’m perfectly happy with my $15 a month dumb phone from many years ago. Yeah, I’m still using a Samsung Juke. No way I’m moving to a smart phone with the ridiculous costs associated with them.

9. Dano says:

I wouldn’t have accepted the wrong replacement phone in the first place. You started down a slippery slope at that point.

And $210 a month?! That is an insane rate for what I presume is just him and his wife. I have T-Mobile and only pay $59 a month + fees with no contract. I have about 500 anytime minutes, and unlimited/free data and texting. Even better my phone uses its wifi for calls if I am in range, which means anytime I make a call and am connected to a wifi I do not use any cell minutes. The same is true if I surf the web, it uses my local wifi and doesn’t go towards my (un)limited data.

I looked at going to Verizon for an iPhone, but even with my corporate discount it was $20 a month more for the base rate for equivalent coverage. AT&T are about the same price, and not worth the effort.

10. StevePierce says:

I have an open support ticket from February and VZW still hasn’t returned the call.

• Lyn Torden says:

You have to call them every day at 2:37 for a status update. Eventually they will know to expect your call.

11. Lyn Torden says:

I buy unlocked phones separately just to keep this kind of corporate incompetence as far away from me for as long as I can.

To Verizon and all the others: I may be stuck with having to find which of you is the least incompetent, and believe me that is hard to do … but I do have a wider range of options for buying actual phones and you all have shown you simply cannot compete on competence.

12. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I recently got a Tracfone, LG800G with 1 year service, 1500 minutes and triple minutes for life. The web browser part only works in my “home” area, but that’s OK because the phone thinks home is my actual home town and my work town about 23 miles away. I really don’t travel very much, because I just don’t have the money to do so.

And when I buy the 1500 minute refill/1 year service, I’ll get 4500 minutes at an approximate cost of 4.4 cents per minute.

I don’t talk on it a lot, but I do send texts and use the web browser. For me, it’s worth not having a big bill every month to use something for a few minutes per day.

• Intheknow says:

I had a Tracfone once. You will find out soon enough that you actually get about one-third of the minutes you think you do. Absolutely TOO many fees that are not apparent up front.

13. Dyscord says:

I just want to know why they don’t have a “Data only” plan. Or an “unlimited data and low minutes” plan like Virgin.

• xyzzyman says:

I have Virgin also (Still grandfathered at $25). I’ve recently learned that if you have a problem, you can get pretty good answers through twitter @VMUCare. I’ve had two outages in the last year. One almost a day, one 95% of the time over 2 days. Annoying, and I asked this last time if any credit and they offer $1 a day that it’s off… Which actually is reasonable figuring I pay $25+tax, even if I was paying $35+tax. Any issues with phone itself, I just will go buy a used one.

• dks64 says:

They used to have Unlimited data and low minutes plan (that’s what I have, 400 minutes a month and unlimited data). It’s all about the money.

• milk says:

The lowest number I could pick was 450, which is still far too many. Last month I used 28. I bet we never see data & text only plans. :(

14. Pete the Geek says:

Sadly, the management at Verizon simply doesn’t care. It is impossible to shame companies into doing the right thing when they are lead by people with no sense of shame or honour. Verizon will sell the debt to a collections agency and so get paid. If it includes the ETF because the OP quit, so be it. Very few people would go to small claims over an ETF, and Verizon management knows it.

As other posters have mentioned, I buy my phones and go with month-to-month contracts. If I could not get such a contract, honestly I would do without a cell phone. I understand that many people can’t take this approach.

15. AustinTXProgrammer says:

The arbitration clause can be worked around. Refuse to pay, if collections comes calling send them a drop dead I dispute this debt letter via certified mail. If they ignore the letter sue the collection agency. Verizon won’t see their money and the collection agencies will leave you alone.

16. az123 says:

Again, why whenever I have hardware issues with any cell provider I will first option go to a retail store to drop off / exchange the item. People always want what seems like the quick and easy way to deal with it and all that results in is problems. A quick trip to a verizon store and the problem likely would have been resolved (even getting a new phone rather than re-manufactured one) and you would have handed your phone to someone at a location….

• Silverhawk says:

I can’t speak for every location, but the last time we tried to do that with my SO’s phone on a warranty claim (NOT insurance), they created a ticket, and sent us on our way. A couple days later, the warranty replacement arrived via FedEx, with instructions to send the defective one back in the same box.

So…it didn’t matter at all that we walked into a local store. In fact, we haven’t managed to do an in-store swap in at least 5 years.

17. Jack Doe says:

1: Let them charge the ETS
    2: Small Claims for triple damages
    3: Profit

• kpsi355 says:

Step 1: Make sure you have bills mailed by post office.
      Step 2: Wait for faulty bill
      Step 3: Sue for mail fraud
      Step 4: Profit!

18. Serenefengshui says:

Why did they keep the used Droid rather than insisting on a replacement Commando? That’s where I’m confused. Everything else sounds like typical Verizon b.s.

19. Aliciaz777 says:

Just one more reason you should get an iPhone instead of an Android. Something goes wrong with your iPhone you deal with Apple, not your phone company. Every time I and anyone I know has had to deal with Apple they have come away from the experience very happy.

Androids are crap.

• Something2Say says:

Yeah, except you will pay to talk to Apple after the first 90 days (whether you do per-incident support or the AppleCare), so you get what you pay for. I work tech support for a cell phone company, and I can’t tell you the number of calls I’ve gotten from people who have called Apple for help first and then tried to call us, even though it’s something outside of our scope of support, because they didn’t want to pay the $29 per-incident fee.

20. xscarfaceloux says:

SO can you use an unlocked iphone on StraightTalk? Not sure if I saw that asked… because obviously, if so… that’d be great. lol

• VintageLydia says:

At least if it’s an AT&T iPhone, it doesn’t even have to be unlocked! Mr. Vintage said you need to change the APN setting which is basically telling the phone what carriers to look at for data transmissions (voice would still work.)
      Verizon uses a different technology so I have no idea about CDMA iPhones.

21. powermetal2000 says:

“Is YOUR $449.95 mistake worth not having me as a customer?” Verizon’s answer to that would be yes. Verizon couldn’t care less if you’re a customer or not. They have millions of other customers they can rip off. I had Verizon for almost 10 years, but thanks to their garbage customer service, I no longer do.

22. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

When the replacement phone arrived, and it was not a new model of the same or better phone, we’re done here. End of story.
    VZW is not the only game in town, folks.

23. syxx says:

Why didn’t he just bring the phone back to where he bought it? And who the hell buys their wife a commando???

• 4Real says:

I purchased the Commando smartphone via phone/online from Verizon….returned and received replacement phone Droid 3 via customer service call to Verizon rep. Call me crazy, but I typically don’t tell my wife what phone I will buy her, I buy her the one she wants.
      -Tim (aka 4Real)

24. BlkSwanPres says:

There is one positive, a used Droid X3 is much better than a new Commando.

25. Peter V says:

*Travy McCoy Billionaire Instrumental*
    I wanna leave Verizon so freaking bad, buy all the gadgets I couldn’t afford.
    I wanna be on T-Mobile with a Galaxy Nexus
    Smiling with my $30 Bill

Oh Everytime I Close my eyes
    I think of the money I could have.
    Yeah, Freedom from the Man.
    Oh I Swear Verizon better be prepared for when I leave them .

*END*

Reason I Haven’t Switched: To Whom will I sell this Verizon iPhone 4 8GB after I leave ETF free so I can pay for a Galaxy Nexus.