FedEx Punishing Me For Delivering Package Addressed To My Neighbor, Claims It Was Mine

Consumerist reader Kenneth is a pretty good neighbor. After all, he dropped off a misdelivered package FedEx left on his stoop to a house around the corner where it was actually supposed to be going. But that simple act of consideration has resulted in FedEx refusing to deliver what he was supposed to get in the first place.

Kenneth says he was waiting on a package on Friday, a Mother’s Day gift. And yes, he says he knows he waited until the last minute. When he came home, there was a package from FedEx there — but addressed to his neighbor.

So he took it upon himself to walk it over and drop it off before calling FedEx to report the mistake. He was told nothing could be done until Saturday because the driver had already left for the day. Fine and dandy, he said, since Saturday was still in time for Mother’s Day gifting.

They called me back on Saturday afternoon, and told me that the delivery guy said he delivered the correct package, and since I no longer had the wrong one, it was my word against his. I passed everything on to the company that shipped the gift, and they are dealing with FedEx now.

The moral of the story? If you get the wrong package from FedEx, hold it hostage until you get the right one… even if it means that two people are not getting their packages on time.

Come on, karma. This isn’t how you’re supposed to work.

Comments

1. AustinTXProgrammer says:

Detailed photos might go a distance. Or at least get the other recipient to vouch.

2. Sneeje says:

Aaaannd your neighbor is not willing to help in this process? I’m pretty sure my neighbors would. Or perhaps it was a box full of rabid honeybadgers?

3. SerenityDan says:

Aside from the whole tracking number thing I can see FedEx’s point. But unless the driver scanned the right package then delivered the wrong one something isn’t making sense.

• crispyduck13 says:

Word. Also, since the driver already screwed up once I already don’t trust his side of the story.

• Mike says:

My guess is the driver mis-delivered his as well. Does the FedEx package tracking system correlate GPS with the delivery scan? If so, they would have proof of delivery. If not, they only have proof that the driver delivered his package to some place.

• IphtashuFitz says:

GPS won’t help unless the GPS unit is physically attached to the driver AND he scans the package at the doorstep where the package is to be delivered AND the GPS unit has a good strong signal.

I spent a few winters working as a drivers assistant for UPS. It was common to take a bunch of packages and walk with them to deliver them while the truck went off to do other deliveries.

Even these days I occasionally see UPS and FedEx do that in the condo complex where I live. They’ll park the truck in one area then walk around to a bunch of units to make deliveries. All a GPS unit in the truck would show is that the truck was at our condo complex. It wouldn’t show which of the 80 units the driver dropped an individual package off at. And if a GPS was even slightly flaky it could easily show the driver being closer to one unit than another when dropping off a package.

• FredKlein says:

Don’t they have hand-held scanner they carry around? That takes care of the first two points. As for the GPS signal- he device can be set to calculate a position every 30 seconds or so, and cache the last few locations. If it can’t get a lock when the actual item is scanned for some reason, it can ‘attach’ the last few locations, as well as the next few once it gets a signal again. it’ll at least show the driver was approaching your house, then walking away from it a minute later, even if it can’t actually show the actual delivery location.

• Uphoria says:

Its simple – he scans your package from his truck parked on the street, walks to the wrong door, drops the package, and the GPS is there.

GPS is NOT accurate to the person, its accurate to a relative area, usually 6-30 feet. At the mid range on this, you could be next door, up a floor, or across the street. without a signature from the recipient there is no proof other than what the driver was willing to provide voluntarily.

4. DJ Charlie says:

Sounds like the driver on our route.

Last FedEx package we got, a guy who lives on another street brought to us. I called and reported it. Next morning, the driver calls my house (daughter answered the phone), and starts cursing that he at least “got it to the right area!” and how he was “gonna fuck up all your packages from now on!”

I reported that too. To FedEx and the police.

• Portlandia says:

Seriously, I find this hard to believe, I mean, how does a driver think they’re going to get away with doing something like that???

• Jules Noctambule says:

It isn’t like they’re only hiring the best, brightest and most motivated 100% of the time.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

If it was Ground, I totally believe it. They are subcontracted out and not actually part of FedEx. In all my dealings with FedEx, if I had problems with drivers, it was always Ground.

Once we had a pickup guy at my exjob who flat out wouldn’t show up, or he’d come in really early, like around two. I knew from a previous driver (who was actually good) that the route took longer to run than that, and he usually didn’t make it in before four pm. Clearly Doofus was ditching either the whole thing, or part of it. After his third time not showing up, I called the supervisor on him and he was later fired for using while on the job.

5. gman863 says:

In my neighborhood, FedEx and FedEx Ground are the delivery equivalent of Russian Roulette.

This doesn’t surprise me one bit.

• nugatory says:

Thats USPS in my neighborhood. My neighbors and I regularly get to play postal roulette and then have to go visit each other to deliver things correctly

• delicatedisarray says:

I struggle with USPS too. I live in house C, there is also an A and B with the same number as me. All the houses in our neighborhood is this way. The Tuesday/Thursday dude will just shove all the A, B, and C’s with the same house numbers in the same box. I’ve called and complained and I know others have too. It was a good way to meet neighbors when we first moved in though!

• chatterboxwriting says:

Someone from the USPS is going to see this message and see a money-making opportunity. “We’ll charge people $1.95 to misdeliver their mail, creating plenty of opportunities for neighbors to interact and build good relationships!”

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

In my neighborhood, it’s the UPS Dude, complete with the surfer mirror sunglasses, weird hair, and clipboard. “Yeah, like I think your car parts are here, or I thought they were, oh, maybe not…maybe the guy will bring them tomorrow. Have a nice day!”

I just smiled, and said “OK – thanks” because I was terrified I’d never see the car parts I ordered for my Dad.

We had a good UPS delivery guy once, but I never saw him after a neighbor’s toy poodle leaped up and bit him in the arm & he had to get stitches.

6. Murph1908 says:

I think your neighbor horked your package.

Driver probably scanned both in the truck, then carried both to your respective doors, but dropped the wrong one at each.

Neighbor gets your package, considers it profit. He later gets his own package that you dropped off, but can’t give you yours back now because he opened it.

7. vx15i says:

I’ve had FedEx mis-deliver 3 times in the past year. The last time the driver insisted he delivered it to the right address, only to have my neighbor two streets over deliver the package. When I told FedEx their driver was mistaken, they said ‘We are happy the issue is resolved’.

8. Suburban Idiot says:

That’s funny because when FedEx delivered my neighbor’s package to me, they specifically told me to go to the neighbor it was addressed to as they might well have my package (as it turns out, that neighbor had a different neighbor’s package).

After that, FedEx threw up their hands and gave up (never once coming by themselves to do anything). I got a replacement package from the seller, and about a month later, the original package turned up, opened, on my doorstep, the contents still shrink wrapped inside.

A few years after that, I had FedEx deliver my package to my neighbors house. For some reason, the delivery driver failed to notice that the house he delivered it to was under construction (the fact that the house didn’t have a roof or exterior bricks or finished sidewalk didn’t give him enough pause to want to double-check the address, apparently).

After the package didn’t show, I went looking for it myself and found it on the unfinished porch of the unfinished house. FedEx refused to admit that they delivered to the wrong house (not that it mattered since I had the package, but I did call them back after my initial complaint of a missing package to tell them that I found it. That’s when they told me they had talked to the driver, checked the records and had most certainly delivered the package to the right address).

9. framitz says:

Why even bother? They will screw up no matter how you handle it.
    Just yesterday they just dropped a box on my door step without even bothering to knock. Fortunately we had been watching for it.

• Sweet Revenge says:

They do that do us too, but it’s usually not a drop-and-run, more like a throw-and-run. If it wasn’t for the loud “WHAM!” made by the box bouncing off the door, we’d never know they had delivered it.

• Gorbachev says:

One of these days they do this, I’m going to pick up a large brick, and throw it on the truck.

The resulting conversation should be a fun one.

• kw6238b says:

Yep. Not much you can do about that. I was mowing the lawn once, and went by my old pickup truck that I wasn’t driving, and happened to look in the side window and there was a Fedex package on the seat. It had been there about a week.

10. kw6238b says:

As an alternative you might check the package before you sign for it. Fedex and UPS both walk up to you and hold out that thing they want you to sign, before they give you the package. That’s just for their convenience. They’re very good at making it seem like you have to sign before you get the package, but that’s the opposite of how it’s supposed to go. That’s just so they can get back to the shop and get home. Just say, “What am I signing for?” They’ll damn sure give you the package then, so they can hurry up and satisfy you and be gone and get back to the shop and get home. Theoretically they could refuse to give you the package, but they don’t want to take it back to the shop because they have to sign it in. It’s extra work, and it delays them getting home. Try it. I do it all the time. I don’t sign for anything unless I know what I’m signing for.

• mrscoach says:

He didn’t sign for anything. The package was left on his porch.

• Alessar says:

I actually had a Fedex delivery that arrived with a hole in the box 2 years ago. The driver pointed it out and told me to open the package and inspect it before I signed for it. She said that it was clearly damaged at their local facility, from when they used a stick to clear a jam-up in the conveyer. Fortunately their stick, though it completely pierced the package, did not hit any of the guts of my new woot.com refurbished Cuisinart.

11. AustinTXProgrammer says:

DHL misdelivered my brand new Dell laptop a few years ago not long before they shutdown.

It was going to take 2 weeks if Dell replaced it. I went around to every business trying to find it, but missed one. 3 days later the nearby business called me (mostly staffed by teenagers, hence the delay). The DHL driver had angrily complained to them that the package was reported missing when he had delivered it. It amazes me that he couldn’t contemplated he had delivered it to the wrong address. He told them that they needed to call customer service and tell them he had delivered the package.

I called and updated my complaint with those details but happy to have my new computer.

12. Crank says:

FedEx does fine in my neighborhood. My postman, not so much.

In the past six months, my neighbor’s jury duty notice, utility bill, health insurance statement, and credit card bill have all been misdelivered to my mail box.

I also get mail for one block over, same house number as mine, different street. It seems that person is a financial genius, purchasing precious art of great worth from the Bradford Exchange.

I’ve finished delivering so much U.S. Mail, that I should qualify for a USPS pension.

13. Conformist138 says:

FedEx, this isn’t a matter of opinion: Do you have an extra package or not?

Either they do, and it’s addressed to this guy (so no need for him to have the mis-delivered one), or they do not and his keeping the wrong box wouldn’t have helped anything. Having one package has nothing to do with the location or availability of the other one.

Sounds like the OP’s package was also delivered wrong, they don’t know where, and FedEx just won’t admit it.

14. TerpBE says:

He wasn’t waiting on a package. He was waiting for a package.

15. zegron says:

“Come on, karma. This isn’t how you’re supposed to work.” thats because karma is a crock. :-)

16. emrichar says:

I don’t understand why he bothered to call FedEx in the first place. The delivery driver made a simple mistake and left in on the wrong doorstep. These things happen sometimes. OP fixed this by carrying the package over to his neighbor. Problem solved, right? Calling FedEx to point out the error just seems like a lot of wasted time and energy for no clear benefit. What did he expect would result from his call?

Now, if OP was expecting a package of his own that was never delivered, that’s a whole different issue. If it were me, I still wouldn’t have called FedEx to complain about it though. I’d call the vendor that shipped it and let them sort it out.

• iesika says:

I don’t think you read the whole article. He was waiting on a package and got his neighbor’s delivery instead.

17. Barry Bunch O'Krunch says:

You… did read the whole post, right?

18. merc78 says:

Fedex use to be head and shoulders above all the others. Over time they have gradually been going down hill in service and management. I never use them any more and would recommend others try other options.