Consumerist Friday Flickr Finds

Here are eleven of the best photos that readers added to The Consumerist Flickr Pool this week, picked for usability in a Consumerist post or just plain neatness.

Not real grape soda

(#7 – Scoboco)

PRIVATE
(#8 – Chris Blakeley)

130 Fort Greene
(#9 – thoth1618)

Upside Down Splash
(#10 – w4nd3rl0st (InspiredinDesMoines))

lu, website portraits-16
(#11 – Elegant Delight Photography)

Our Flickr Pool is the place where Consumerist readers upload photos for possible use in future Consumerist posts. Just be a registered Flickr user, go here, and click “Join Group?” up on the top right, and start hitting “send to group” on your individual photos you want to add to the pool.

Add your shots to The Consumerist Flickr Pool, and perhaps they’ll be featured in a future story, or even highlighted in a Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool Finds post. See previous winners of the Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool finds here.

Comments

1. Michael Belisle says:

I like the opposing-direction splash picture, but I’m highly disappointed that it involves cheating, and isn’t really orientated as shown. I think it could be done without cheating, but how? Maybe throwing the apples and strawberries through a thick sheet of water?

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

I’m curious, how can you tell that its turned sideways and not actually sideways. Camera tricks confuse me, cause I’m dumb, and I am always amazed when others can spot them.

• Rebecca K-S says:

Well, they’re both pictures of fruit being dropped into water, as far as I can tell, so it’s two shots stitched together in different orientations.

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

oh ok, I’m also bad at recognizing photoshop, derp.

• These Are Not My Pants says:

I’m no scientist, but I don’t think throwing something through a sheet of water sideways would create quite the same splashback effect that you see in the photo. Something something displacement of water something…

• These Are Not My Pants says:

And from the source:

“Working on a project using the fish tank and some strobes again… This one was made by taking two separate images and creating one composite in photoshop.”

• Michael Belisle says:

My point is that I saw the picture and thought “Oh hey cool neat how’d they do that? Oh. Photoshop.”

And of course it wouldn’t be the exact same. My question is really “how can we do something similar with minimal post-processing?” Of course, that would be hard and require some planning in the setup.

• Michael Belisle says:

Or, take this photo setup, change the stream a bit, fire bullets in two directions and Voilà ! Photo awesomeness that hints at unique rather than purely imitative talent.

• Michael Belisle says:

Actually, I mean “Photo awesomeness that hints at ‘I have this awesome idea so I’ll figure out how to capture it in the real world” rather than “I have this awesome idea, but I’ll take care of it in post-production.”

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I call him… Choctopus!

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Cousin of Nanerpus!

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

which took my brain to chocolate covered bananas. and then it went all wrong in my head

• McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

My first thought was: OMG it’s the facesucker from aliens, but in chocolate!

Does it implant yummy truffles?

• hazycanon says:

Yes, facehugger – my first, out of corner of eye seen thought also! PROMETHEUS plug here.

• pamelad says:

#1

I thought it was a crab drowning in chocolate. We all know crabs have to be cooked alive. I guess there are worse ways to go …

3. SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

#11 has what might be the coolest 3-4 year old ever

4. cayton says:

Headline for #3: Baby Jesus spotted walking on water, teens too busy taking cheesy picture to notice.

5. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

#1 – is that frosting or cake batter? Either way, gimme a spoon!!

6. dolemite says:

I like #3. Something about someone taking a picture of someone else taking a picture as everyone involved is reflected on the water, and while all the excitement is going on, the kid is simply happy his feet are wet.

7. Mulva says:

I was still a little fuzzy-eyed from waking up when I saw #1 – as the intro thumbnail, it looked like a chocolate Alien face hugger.

8. mauispiderweb says:

Cherry pie O_O

9. Foot_Note says:

tax cat sad :(

10. Magical Pig says:

Somehow #2 is racist. I just have not figured out why yet.

• pamelad says:

Because it is black, white and purple and leaves out the other skin colors of Earth-bound humans? But yeah, it is racist. Many people by now realize purple people rule the Earth.