If You Enjoy $200 Disposable Coffeemakers, Buy A Keurig

I’ve often heard, both from readers of this site and in real life, about the generous replacement policy that coffee-pod maker Keurig has when something goes wrong with one of their products. But if you happen to buy a model that’s defective, reader Synimatik tells us, Keurig will only replace it so many times before you’re on your own and have to just buy yourself a new one. He didn’t expect to spend more than $200 on what he calls a “disposable coffee maker.”

I originally purchased a Keurig coffee maker a little over a year ago. Since then, I have had the unit break, and replaced not once, but twice. Now, less than two years after my original purchase, I’ve had the 3rd Keurig break. The last call to customer service resulted an explanation of “yeah, this happens a lot. There is a problem with one of the parts.”

Awesome. So they know the equipment sucks, but continue to sell them as it anyway. I guess the moral of the story is if you want to spend upwards of $200 on a disposable coffee maker every 6 months or so, get yourself a Keurig.

Thank you. I will go right ahead and not follow that advice. It’s only fair that they won’t replace it more than a year in if that’s the product warranty. So why can’t one of those replacements be of a different model that doesn’t self-destruct quite so efficiently?

Comments

1. Youngfrankenstein says:

Mine got sick after about 2 years. It would work and fill the cup with an inch of water or just buzz and do nothing. It was a gift but I bought a small coffee press. I only drink 3 or 4 cups a week so I just didn’t feel like going back to buy a machine and K-Cups. I have a regular large pot for company.

• Preyfar says:

Yeah, our Keurig is doing the same thing. We’re on our third one about 4 or 5 years? I’m not sure how I feel about them. We have an industrial Keurig machine at work, and that makes 100′s of cups a day. No problem. But at home? The units seem to last about a year to a year and a half at best before the pump seems to go, and we clean the damn thing once a month.

I’m really of the point of mind at this point that if this last one we have doesn’t make at least three years I’ll never touch one again. They’re prone to failure.

Other people I know are having the same issue. I really like the Keurig machines, but their lack of reliability really upsets me.

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

We had a keurig machine @ work and when they got a new one i bought it for 80 and gave it to my parents three years later it’s still going strong. The previous consumer grade keurig they had lasted about a year before breaking.

• tugnutt says:

From what I read in the reviews, the problem is with the pump that they put in the consumer models, it’s designed to be quiet but does so at the expense of reliability. Because of that, I purchased a commercial model for our house, it’s a little louder, but not extremely so. We haven’t had ours for that long, so I can’t personally testify to its durability yet but I didn’t find the same kinds of complaints about it that I did about the consumer models.

• Jchamberlain says:

well I’ve had mine about five years and every so often I get the partial cup problem too. I figured it was the pump so I started putzing with it. If you can see the overflow tube coming back to the reservoir, see if water is flowing out during the “fill” stage. If so there is air in the lines. The easiest fix is to shove a tooth pick in there and use a larger mug. Do this a few times and the pump gets re primed. Works like a champ. Don’t forget to remove the toothpick after a few cups.

• Varick says:

Our’s last a year or two under heavy use. We buy our kcups through them so the points we accumulate we use on a new unit. These don’t last forever. Maintaining it will help.
      I think we’ve bought 3. Two being discounted with points through their site. The last one had a defective transformer and just wouldn’t power up. It was a common problem at the time and the replaced it no questions asked.
      If you’re a loyal customer, they’ll work to keep you.

Oh one thing I’ve learned over time is sometime you get a bad kcup. Say you hit brew and it take a while and fills your mug up to half, then you take out the kcup and it full of water. This is a bad cup. Just use another.

• BurtReynolds says:

My B60 is almost 2.5 years old and sounds fine. I also de-scale it with vinegar maybe 3 times a year.

I wonder how many people with multiple Keurigs in the landfill actually maintained the thing?

2. Nighthawke says:

I think that the Lemon and 3 Strikes laws apply in this case. Check in your state to see if they do. Presumably Keurig is aware of the defect, but is not making any effort to compensate the consumers affected by this problem. A sham to be honest about it.

Anyway, get a French Press or your own cappuccino machine and quit spending i$$$ on one-cup shots.

3. brandyk says:

next time, buy it from costco.

• LuckyLady says:

When my Keurig stopped working after a year, I took it back to Costco, no questions asked. I hadn’t even used it that much. I was really disappointed in the quality–but so glad that Costco has an excellent return policy.

• Josh says:

Agreed. We purchased our first one from Costco three years ago. After it stopped working we brought it back to Costco and they took it back, no questions asked. We got a gift card for the full purchase price and purchased a brand new model Keurig that day. We’ve had the new one for about 6 months now without issues.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

Agreed. I took mine back after 8 months. It would sometimes run properly, others it would do nothing, or fill an inch. A few times it would fill too much.

I ended up getting a super auto machine. The savings from purchasing whole bean coffee instead of k-cups will pay for it in 5 years (if it lasts that long).

• tungstencoil says:

My super-auto (a Jura-Capresso) paid for itself in about a year, because I forced myself away from the coffee shop. I’ve now had it 7 years. Good luck.

• axhandler1 says:

Jura-Capresso FTW! We have one in our office and it’s amazing. Been there since before my time, and I started here three years ago.

• Audiyoda28 says:

Exactly. Had mine for about a year and it started acting funny – it would fill one cup but then the next cup would only be half full. Found out it was the plumbing inside the machine. Since it’s sealed there’s no way to clean it and they don’t recommend putting anything but filtered water through the machine so a dose of vinegar or cleaner was really out of the question.

Took it back to Costco and they gave me a cash card with the amount needed to purchase a new one – not for the price I paid when I originally purchased it. When I originally purchased it Costco had one of their coupons in effect and I saved $15.

I love Costco – they know and prescribe to the definition of customer service.

• ShruggingGalt says:

Their website tells you to use vinegar to descale.

• Froggmann says:

But the printed instructions do. At least on mine. I usually de-scale it every 4 months or so when it starts to short fill my cup.

• BurtReynolds says:

De-scaling would have fixed it. Had it happen to mine in the first six months, I called Keurig and they pointed me to the de-scaling directions. It fixed the problem and I’ve done it periodically since for the last 2 years.

• abruke says:

Same for Bed Bath & Beyond. I got a B60 that stopped working after about a year, I took it back to BB&B, went into a whole song and dance about how I got it as a gift, I had no receipt, etc. The
      guy at the courtesy desk just looked at me and said “Soooooo….you want a new one?”, pointed to the pyramid pile of B60 boxes and told me to take a new one. Didn’t even ring me up, just took the broken one and off I went.

• abruke says:

• abruke says:

4. galm666 says:

“If you hate yourself and hate coffee, buy a Keurig.”

There. Fixed.

• Laura Northrup says:

My parents have one. No matter what I do, I can never get the coffee strong enough for my liking. I think I’m just going to start hauling my French press around.

• ahecht says:

Laura, get an Aeropress. It’s smaller and more portable than a french press, costs about $25, makes excellent coffee, and can even be used for making faux-espresso. It works on the same basic principal as the $10,000 Clover machines, but is hand operated. http://amzn.com/B0047BIWSK

• mikedt says:

Get the Newman’s Own coffee cups – they actually contain more coffee than the other brands. I’m thinking they’ll be strong enough for you. I normally use an aeropress, but I can push 16oz of water through a newman’s and feel it’s strong enough.

• Cacao says:

Laura, why not an espresso coffee pot? (Eg Bialetti Moka Express) It’s metal and there is less chance of breaking compared to a french press. You can buy a company-sized one (9 or 12 cup) and put as little water/as much coffee in it as you want.

• BBBB says:

I’ve been using my Bialetti’s for over fifteen years [an assortment of sizes]. The Lavazza coffee I like costs about a quarter of what the Keurig coffee costs. [The gaskets need replacing after about 400-500 uses, but my on-line coffee source has them for a couple of bucks.]

I met someone who inherited his parent’s Bialetti that has been used regularly for over 50 years.

Better coffee and much cheaper.

• Preyfar says:

I actually like Keurig coffee. Donut Shop isn’t too bad. I love (no, worship) coffee, but I don’t drink it enough to warrant anything with a carafe. Keurigs are great when you just need a cup on the go.

It’s not the best in the world, but it’s far from the worst as well.

• failurate says:

I can’t wait for this Keurig fad to pass. If I wanted to pay $1 for a stale ass cup of coffee I would go to the gas station down the street.
      I have a Keurig in my house. As soon as I run out of the gifted coffee pod things, the coffee maker will be a yard sale item.

• Jawaka says:

So how does a coffee maker brew a cup of stale coffee?

• ferndave says:

FYI, you can get cups for $.35 to $.45 cents.

• quail says:

Still more expensive than a drip coffee system or a coffee press. There is a reusable pod for putting your own coffee in but I seldom see anyone buying or using those.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

What if I hate myself but like coffee?

• HeatherLynn30 says:

Also, if you hate the planet. Those Keurigs are so wasteful.

5. ndonahue says:

These failures are the coffee gods telling you to stop using K-Cups. The quality of coffee and the cost per serving are terrible — even if you go through the hassle of loading your own k-cups

French press is a good option, or if you like the single serve option, I recommend buying an espresso machine. Pull a shot of expresso and dump it into a coffee cup 3/4 full of hot water. You don’t need to only use dark roasted espresso beans — any will work. Total time, about 60 seconds.

The share price of Green Mountain Coffee (owners of Keurig) dropped almost 50% recently. Perhaps the market is finally realizing that Keurig produces crappy machines that cost a lot of money to produce an inferior cup of coffee.

• kranky says:

A big factor in the stock price drop is that their patents on K-Cups is expiring later this year. There will be a lot of companies jumping in to offer compatible K-Cups and coffee makers that accept K-Cups, and they won’t have to pay any royalties. Also, Keurig is coming out with a new type of coffee maker that is incompatible with K-Cups. It remains to be seen if their market will jump on the new system that uses new cups.

• Preyfar says:

We have the new Keurig machine, the Vue (and “V-Cups”). It’s actually much better than the former Keurig’s and K-Cups. It offers much more customization to allow you to make stronger coffee, iced coffee/teas and far, far more varied settings.

Their sweet tea packets are actually pretty decent.

• Ogroat says:

The share price dropped like a brick right after Starbucks announced that they are coming out with their own single serving machine later in the year.

6. pjschwartz says:

Can’t be any worse than Cuisinarts . . . They fail after about a year of use, and the company gives you the run around when you make a request to have the replacement unit replaced under warranty.

• Gambrinus says:

Which is sad, because I have my mother’s Cuisinart from the early 70s and it still works great. But the new one she bought to replace it has broken something like 3 times in 5 years. They don’t make em like they used to…

• webweazel says:

Maybe I just got lucky, but my last coffeemaker was a Cuisinart. My mom got it as a gift and used it for 3 years. She wanted something smaller, so she got something else and gave the Cuisinart one to me. I used it every single day for over 4 years and it worked flawlessly all that time until it just stopped working last year. I would think 7 years of use is a pretty good record for a coffeemaker. I have no complaints.

• kranky says:

I agree 7 years is outstanding. Our $30 Proctor-Silex has probably served 6 years and made over 3,000 pots of coffee (no exaggeration) with only a couple cleanings a year. I doubt we’ll ever get another one that reliable.

• watcher says:

I was told they are made by Keurig…

• mikesanerd says:

My 8 year old cuisinart coffee maker is still working perfectly after almost daily use for most of that time. In fact none of my cuisinart stuff has ever broken, now that i think about it. Maybe they’ve downgraded their quality recently.

7. topher b says:

Nobody who really likes coffee uses these things unless they have to, right? they’re a joke. They generate so much waste and taste terrible.

• PXAbstraction says:

I would pose that you’re not buying the right K-Cups if that’s what you think. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion of course (and there’s lots of bad K-Cups out there) but I buy several ones that I enjoy and are perfectly strong, even when brewed on a large cup size. Granted, I don’t like jet fuel but I don’t like brown water either. They are expensive if you buy them retail but a little bit of online research goes a long way and I pay basically wholesale price for my K-Cups. Far cheaper than going to even a chain coffee place and when you don’t have the time to make french press coffee at work (which just ends up gritty and gross anyway), it’s a good alternative.

• Josh says:

Where have you found k-kups for that price? We’ve got a kitchen store near our house with a great selection, but they’re like $30 for 24 cups. Occasionally amazon has them on sale, but usually not in the varieties we like.

• ferndave says:

Costco has a few brands for around $.46 a piece. Staples has a wide selection and can have great prices when you buy a few boxes at a time.

• BurtReynolds says:

Staples. Get a $25 off 75 coupon and buy K-cups. Price is in the $0.43/cup range.

• joako says:

I am getting the 50 packs on Amazon for $30 all day every day. Prime 2 day shipping, of course. There are some others for sale at higher prices. Just ordered some a few minutes ago actually and they had the 50 pack and a 48 pack for $10 more!

• quail says:

Also, check with your local coffee distributors. Some aren’t opposed to offering you their coffee at only a bit higher price than their contracted customers get it for. Still a good bargain compared to the retailers. Almost all carry the pod systems.

• BurtReynolds says:

Agree. I like “good” coffee, and will “manually” make cups from time to time. I also drink decent coffee black. You can’t do that if it is truly garbage.

Some of the k-cups are junk, yet I get a good cup out of the Newman’s Own and the GMCR Espresso Blend used to be my #1 until they discontinued it. Most of the french roasts are pretty good too. The “Barista Prima” cups are good too but overpriced, even in comparison to k-cups.

• el_chupacabra says:

If your french press-made coffee ends up “gritty and gross” you’re doing it wrong. Bodum makes a very nice travel mug/press that I’ve used before. It takes a few minutes to boil the water in an electric kettle and four more for the coffee to steep, then press and you’re done. it’s really not that much work considering the resulting product is far and away better than any of those Kcups (and at a fraction of the price).

8. Guppy06 says:

That’s why I make my own coffee makers at home!

9. Tacojelly says:

18 months of a crazy amounts of use and mine still going strong.

Also, why don’t you buy one of the cheaper models of the maker? Less things on it to break.

10. ap0 says:

I liked mine, until it broke. I made the mistake of buying a refurb with no warranty. Now it sits in my garage and I kick it when I’m angry.

11. cvanderen says:

I’m gonna piggyback on a previous comment and also recommend (if possible) buy it at Costco. I’ve had to return mine about 6 times. In my experience they are guaranteed to break down at some point. Costco has always taken them back without any hassle. Half the time I didn’t have the original box anymore and they still didn’t hassle me. On the plus, you get a bunch of free K-cups with the new one.

12. Extended-Warranty says:

I hate coffee with a passion. My Keurig is amazing though for tea, cocoa, and cider. I’ve had mine for a year now with no problems.

Shoddy merchandise isn’t exclusive to Keurigs BTW.

13. winstonthorne says:

I recently obtained the best one cup coffee maker in the WORLD at an old fashioned five-and-dime in a small town in NY. It’s a shallow metal dish about 3″ in diameter with tiny holes poked in a recessed center section, and a 6-oz metal bowl that fits right-side up over the top (also with holes). You put 2 tbsp of coffee into the dish, put the dish on the cup, put the bowl on the dish, and pour hot water into the bowl. Delicious one-cup coffee. Nothing disposable. Small and easily portable. And it cost me $3.

14. Blueskylaw says:

Keurig coffee costs roughly $50-$55 dollars a pound, I think i’ll pass. What’s even
    worse is the Starbucks Via (instant) coffee which costs about $130 dollars a pound.

• iesika says:

Sheesh, really?

My sister is the only person I know with one of these overpriced monstrosities. She got it as a wedding present. She bought some kind of refillable cup thing…somewhere… when the pods that came with the gift ran out.

I’d have returned the gift to the store and walked away with 200 dollars, but at least she’s not spending as much on coffee every month as I spend on gas.

15. mjd74 says:

A quick google search returned several websites and videos on repairing these machines. Maybe the OP should look into that?

We have a very nice espresso machine that stopped grinding correctly. Did some internet research and found a detailed guide on how to disassemble the machine. When we got down to the grinder gear it was clear that it needed to be replaced. Found one online for six bucks, put it back together and it’s been working perfectly ever since.

16. Errenden says:

I wonder if it’s the B70. That model had a pump that the fins sat submerged in water and would crust up with minerals along stopping the pump and with the the inlet filter clogging. Take some time ever couple of months to run some vinegar through it and it would mitigate this issue.

17. GirlWithGloves says:

I have the Keurig mini brewer B30 model, probably going on 4 years now…no problems, even without regular descaling (which I will keep up with now that I found a good descaling solution).
    I like the k cups for the convenience: less mess, pop it in, done! (which is awesome for my arthritic hands)…Regular coffeemakers result in too strong coffee for me, so if a k cup is considered weak, that’s just fine to me. Trick I’ve found is to really try a variety of their coffee selection to find a good strength and flavor. Their seasonal pumpkin spice is worth stocking up on!

• theblackdog says:

What descaling solution do you use? I have the B30 and love it so I don’t want to break it.

• GirlWithGloves says:

Via Amazon, I found the Urnex Dezcal Home Activated Descaler, For Home Coffee & Espresso Equipt., 4 – 1 oz Packets. Keurig came out with their own descaling solution, but they pulled it due to reported issues. I don’t use a full packet since it’s such a small machine and reservoir. I mix some up in a cup of hot water and run that through, mix up another and run that through, at least a few times, then I run through plain cups of water enough until it appears clean. One tip I read to check on if water is clear of solution is to pour in a little creamer. If it beads up, water still has solution in it.

18. Such an Interesting Monster says:

Pick up a Ready Set Joe for $3 and learn how to boil water. You’re welcome.

19. limbodog says:

We have two at the office. You pour in a large cup of water, you get back a small cup of coffee for the price of an extra large cup of coffee.

makes sense to me.

20. HollzStars says:

Keurig should do a buy back if they are unwilling to replace it again. I just (yesterday) left a job doing warranty support for a large electronics company that makes products like electric toothbrushes and razors, and yes, coffee makers, among many many others, and we did buy backs of products after 3-4 replacements.

21. Gravitational Eddy says:

Have one performing flawlessly for past 6 months. No issues whatsoever. But as has been stated here, not real happy with the quality of the coffee, the actual branded stuff is better that the Green Mountain. The Starbucks stuff is overpriced, but drinkable.
    Then I found the ultimate ripoff: Keurig K-cups with instant coffee in it (???)
    Wait, *instant* coffee?
    Yep. Talk about a ripoff, using the el-cheapo-est coffee in the el-cheapo-est form in the most expensive delivery system available… those K-cups.

22. gnubian says:

Let’s see .. had a mr coffee, it lasted a year .. bought a black and decker under the counter ($120) lasted maybe a year, bought a braun ($120-150) same crappy lifespan .. bought a commercial single burner Bunn for $235 .. I still use it every day … 14 years later. Just saying

23. caradrake says:

When I was in the market for a french press, I tried about four different models. One from IKEA, one from Bodum, a SoftGrips model, and one from a fancy kitchen gadgets store. Every single one sucked – when I pressed down, coffee grinds would escape through the sides to the coffee above.

I finally settled on reusing an IngenuTEA from Adagio. It doesn’t ‘press’ the coffee, but it still does a danged good job of keeping the coffee grounds out of my drink. Fairly easy to clean, too.

• frugalmom says:

I have one of those for tea. Hadn’t thought of using it for coffee, but that’s not a bad idea. My little sis is going to college next year and that would be great in the dorm.

24. WalterSinister2 says:

Apparently Keurig’s stock fell when Starbucks announced they were getting into the one cup coffee maker game. Maybe they will make one that doesn’t break as often.

• StarKillerX says:

Actually it will likely break more often from all the added stress on the heating coil due to the need to burn all the coffee it makes, afterall they want it to taste like real Starbucks coffee.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Each one they sell should come with a DVD of a barista flirting for tips and publish your living room on the internet so you get a wifi mooching hobo to stick around all day, so that to recreate the full experience.

25. scottydog says:

If you don’t used filtered water in these machines and don’t descale them every so often you are going to have problems. I have been using Keurigs for almost 5 years now and just recently got a new machine from Costco because the new ones are super quiet unlike my old machine that would wake the dead. If you pay retail for your k-cups at the grocery they can get expensive, but use coupons at bed bath and beyond or go to Costco and the cost comes down quite a bit. The last case I bought from Costco cam to $0.32 per cup.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

I use filtered softened water (Test strips show hardness of 0…) and it still died.

• watcher says:

I double filter the water, and I’m on my third B70 in 14 months. The new “quiet” models use a pump that is widely known to fail. Keep you old one :).

26. MattO says:

i got a squaretrade warranty for 3 years on mine because of the known pump issues. was only $13, and i have the platinum. figured if it breaks after year 1, i will just get the refund and buy a new one. does it suck i had to buy the warranty because i didnt trust the device? yes, but i love the coffee and convenience…so it was worth it to me

27. Kensuke Nakamura says:

I hate when products that generate an unnecessary amount of waste becomes wildly popular.

28. tungstencoil says:

Jura-Capresso FTW.

It makes better coffee. The customer service is some of the best on the planet.

It’s downside is they’re *expensive* – but totally worth it. Mine paid for itself in about a year of not going to the coffee shop. I’ve had to engage customer service a few times over the 7 years I’ve had it (my office got one, too) and they’re incredible.

The only viable argument for a pod coffee system is if you have a houseful of people that drink radically different thinks – a certain decaf, a certain real, another different real. Even then, I’d *still* use a Jura Capresso with the bypass folder, but then it’s a little less convenient.

The K-Cups suck and are expensive. The point where people start “making there own” is when the whole thing really gets amusing.

29. Slovak says:

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news you guys but they only seem to break if you don’t clean them. I have had mine for over 2 years, the one with the lcd read out, and about 6 months into owning it the thing started to only fill up quarter cup and sometimes nothing. I read the instruction manual and followed the descaling/cleaning procedure with vinegar and everything went back to normal. I clean it every 6 months or so and it works great. Also we have VERY hard water here in Phoenix so I also got the filter attachment that goes inside the tank.. I love the coffee/tea/ramen that comes out of that thing btw.

30. Seriously? says:

There are so many better ways to brew coffee that cost less, require little/no maintenance and take very little time (less comparable time if you factor in the time-value of money) and produce way better coffee. It’s a no-brainer.

If you must buy a Keurig, at least don’t use it for tea – that’s just stupid. It’s tea – it doesn’t get any easier!

31. StarKillerX says:

Just did a quick search and it appears that Keurig’s warranty is for one year, if this is the case why would you expect them to replace the unit more then a year after the original was purchased?

Also, it’s worth pointing out that most things you buy these days is disposable and have limited lifetimes.

32. njack says:

Mine recently had an issue after we’ve had it a couple years, but was able to fix it easily. A simple Google search will result in many instruction videos etc.

33. mikedt says:

Our work machine died (non commercial unit) so I took it home to see if I could get it to work – it would no longer pump water. I can only assume an air bubble got trapped somewhere in the system because other than laying it on its side, while I removed/replaced some screws, I did nothing to it and yet it started to work again. Worth a try.

34. StopGougingMeThere! says:

What sucks is that EVERY appliance under 500 bucks is freakin’ disposable now. But I appreciate the frustration with Keurig as you’d think they’d last more than 2 years as we’re on our second Keurig ourselves. The worst part is that only my wife drinks coffee and only has 1 cup a day!!!

• StopGougingMeThere! says:

I forgot to add that with our second Keurig we only use Distilled water in our machine. For only a buck a gallon I think it’s a fairly reasonable insurance policy against possible water related issues.

35. Carlos Spicy Weiner says:

What it boils down to is even semi-expensive things we used to figure should last 5-10 years are made like crap. Very few companies give a rat’s ass if their product breaks after they have your money. In doing research for refrigerators and stoves, I was shocked, SHOCKED, at how many problems there were with them after 3-5 years, even “high-end” models. Some User Reviews cited conversations with repairmen who admitted a new expensive appliance that used to be built to last 25-30+ years like stoves, washing machines and fridges are only built to last 10 now…WTF!

• Outrun1986 says:

True in most cases, but a lot of it depends on how much stuff is used, overall I would consider a 10 year lifespan really good for something these days. Most things break in just 2-3 years, or right after the 1 or 2 year warranty expires. We had a Kenmore washing machine built in the 80′s that lasted more than 25 years.

• Carlos Spicy Weiner says:

My mom’s Coldspot fridge was bought in the early ’70s, her gas dryer in the ’60s. Both going strong My late ’80s fridge died 2 years ago…the compressor gave out, but a new one was more than a mid-priced new fridge. The guy that fixes minor things on her 1930′s O’keef-Merritt stove gave her a standing offer if she ever wants to sell it because it was built so well, unlike the “disposable junk they make now” he said. Maybe not disposable, but the word “durable” sure has been perverted.

36. MaytagRepairman says:

Mine only lasted maybe a couple of years as well. I went through several YouTube videos to try and fix it but the problems kept coming back.

The only reason I bought it was because I’m the only one in the house that drinks coffee. With our 10-cup drip machine I kept brewing full pots out of habit and drank myself to jitters when I only really needed a couple of cups.

I bought a percolator out of nostalgia but it overcooks the flavor right out of coffee.

I’ve also bought an Aeropress coffee maker makes decent single cup coffee while retaining the notes that are supposed to be in the coffee. Unfortunately, the parts make it odd for storage.

37. mrbungle333 says:

Buy it at bed bath and beyond they will return it and take care of you as a customer. They are the best door when it comes to that kind of thing. Buying any big ticket kitchen I am should be but it bed bath and beyond for their return policy.

38. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Several of my coworkers love their Keurigs, but I can’t justify the cost, for either the maker or the individual K-cups. It seems really expensive. I can get a big container of Maxwell House or Folgers coffee on sale, and make it in my cheapo coffee maker from Walmart, dump in some half and half, or vanilla flavored creamer, and I’m good to go.

39. blueman says:

So the coffee is mediocre, the mountains of waste generated is appalling and the (overpriced) machines apparently crap out after a year or so.

And yet people keep buying these things, apparently because they are all so damn busy they can’t take two minutes to make a decent cup of coffee.

40. Jason Litka says:

I’ve had the same Keurig for around 4 years now. It makes 2-4 cups per day and no issues at all. I’ve also got a bunch of them at work (some personal models making 10-12 cups/day, some commercial making 50+) and those are all going strong as well.

41. watcher says:

I’m on my third one in 14 month. They are a really a pile of junk….

42. watcher says:

43. softgeek says:

Refillable k-cups work great and you choose the coffee.
    I buy Peet’s coffee and they do a Regular grind. Mmmm.
    ecobrew works in my Keurig B40 and B70.

44. IraAntelope says:

for the price they get for k-cups, the pot should be free. I recently noticed price-per pound in Price Chopper…$79.00 per. ulp!

45. Hub Cap says:

I buy beans and grind them coarse in a burr grinder. Over two years using my B70 making four to six cups a day and never a problem. I descale with vinegar from time to time. We use an Eko-Brew reusable cup. PERFECT!

46. nickmoss says:

Toddy cold brewer. That is all.

47. iesika says:

I’m not sure what the big deal about the Keurigs is supposed to be. My Aeropress was thirty bucks and makes the best goddamned coffee I’ve ever had in my life (1-2 cups at a time). And it’s about the size of a tall mug, and doesn’t require power (fresh coffee on a fishing boat, aw yeah).

48. iesika says:

I will solve everyone’s broken Keurig woes for thirty bucks!

And you get to used regular priced coffee!

49. yurei avalon says:

Really? We’re on Keurig number 5 or 6 replaced for free by the company. We have their top of the line uber platinum whatever edition and they break within 6 months or so. We call them up, they tell us to send back one piece and toss the machine and a new one shows up in a few days. I have a pile of 4 or 5 keurigs sitting in my basement.

50. soj4life says:

$200? Got mine for $130 3 years ago with no problems.

51. Tcufrog says:

Our Tassimo has lasted for several years without problems. We don’t drink coffee but we sometimes have guests who do plus when my mother-in-law visits for several months she drinks two cups everyday. I buy the pods on Amazon at a discount and do Subscribe and Save for further discounts when my mother-in-law visits so the pods are less wasteful than making a large pot and dumping the rest of the coffee.

52. Ultrarobo says:

Capresso ftw. While the idea of these Keurig machines is good, the actual coffee that comes out of them is utter swill. The company I work for has 4 of them spread around the office and I have a couple relatives who own (and like) them as well. I’ve given them more than a solid day in court and each time have been presented with something that qualifies as coffee only in that it is wet, hot and dark. For the last few years I have been brewing a 10-cup pot of whole-bean coffee in my Capresso at home. I then transfer it to a large thermos and take that and a vacuum-sealed travel mug with me to work.

53. Fraginstein says:

My girlfriends B60 died after after one and a half years (no power). I still had the receipt from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Spoke to the manager, traded it in for a new replacement. They will ship the defective unit back to Keurig. It did cost me $8, since the price had gone up slightly. I like that kind of customer service.