Taylor Rewrites Time, Crams 85 Minutes In An Hour

Sure, you might wish that there were more hours in the day to get things done. But what if there were more minutes in every hour? That’s what Taylor Precision Products, maker of measuring devices, from thermometers to scales, has apparently accomplished with one of their timers. It puts at least 85 minutes in every hour, for maximum productivity. It’s either that, or a hilarious typo.

Tipster Eric writes:

The company’s webpage states “Over 150 years of precision measurement”. Obviously for some nefarious reason the information was well hidden from the public until now that there are apparently at least 85 minutes in an hour…..

Maybe it’s part of a secret conspiracy to bring back decimal time, where every day has ten hours, every hour has one hundred minutes, and every minute has one hundred seconds. Yeah, it didn’t make a lot of sense during the French Revolution either.

5828 Dual Event Timer + Clock [Taylor]

Comments

1. Bort says:

“Not only are the trains now running on time, they’re running on metric time”

• Tunnen says:

Oh, we finally got an industry using an alternative power source. A train that runs on time is way better then one that runs on diesel or electricity generated by coal power. But then again, I guess time is also a finite resource that we shouldn’t waste and we don’t have the technology to recycle it either… =P

2. mikedt says:

If it’s like the timers we have, you can put any digit in any spot. So if you wanted to do 99 hours and 99 minutes you can. It counts down the 99 minutes, and then starts decrementing the hours. And when you think about it, that makes sense, it’s a countdown timer, not a clock.

• TheBusDriver says:

I agree, if in fact it goes to 99 – but if it only stops at 85, they got issues. I imagine it is just fine, and the example is just showing the countdown, not the limits of the minutes.

• brettb says:

Judging from the Amazon review, that’s not how it works. It sounds like you press the button to increment up (and hold it to increment up quickly). There’s no keypad like on my microwave on which I can enter 90 or 130 to time 1.5 minutes.

• erinpac says:

It says you press minute or hour, then press/hold to increment. I assume it just doesn’t rollover if you increment the minutes past 60.

3. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I can set my microwave for 99 seconds. It can cook till potatoe.

4. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Once as a young lad I was in the ER, waiting for my favorite technician Franklin to come and stitch up some roadrash I’d bestowed upon myself…again…when I noticed that the digital clock on the wall was rather wonky.

It counted the 59th minute, then the 60th, the 61st, so on and so forth…I don’t know what happened when it got to 99, because by then Franklin had come in and slathered some kind of topical anesthetic all over my wounds that apparently “anesthetized” the area by burning out all the nerve endings. Think it was called Zylazene, or something close thereto.

• Lyn Torden says:

The clock just looked wonky due to all the drugs wafting in the hospital atmosphere.

• Sarek says:

I remember once years ago looking across the city skyline at the digital clock on a tower. It said something like 13:63. I just assumed Rod Serling was in charge of the clock.

5. brettb says:

Amazon says it times up to 23 hours and 59 minutes, so the hours seem “out of normal limits,” too.

It must be a secret code. I tried looking it upside down but L2SBEh doesn’t mean anything to me.

6. Blueskylaw says:

Next thing you know, the European Union will be crumbling… ohh wait…

7. Lyn Torden says:

Many things suggest 90 seconds or 90 minutes or whatever, and people just don’t know how to figure out that 1:30 is equivalent. So these timer makers need to be sure numbers up to 99 can work. But they should somehow reject more than 59 seconds if minutes or hours are also entered, and more than 59 minutes if hours are also entered. The illustrated time of 43 hours, 85 minutes, and 27 seconds violates that principle (you won’t be getting 4385 minutes which some people might think they would get).

This is why we need to adopt decimal time. That way everyone will be confused and level the playing field.

• RandomHookup says:

We can’t even adopt digital measurements. Digital time is an impossibility.

8. GoldVRod says:

You fools – those are lottery numbers! I will win!

Then I can buy all the Germsberms I want. They’re mah favrit berks.

9. Pete the Geek says:

There are 12 LCD positions. Each digit from 0-9 is shown and two are repeated. It is a test/demo pattern for the LCD that someone used in a product illustration without giving it much thought.

10. Brian says:

Nice sensationalist headline, Laura.

I have one of these timers. Sure, you can set the minutes number to be more than 59, but it’ll treat hours that you set as 60 minutes. No more, no less. If you set it to 43 hours and 85 minutes, it’ll run for 44 hours and 25 minutes before it starts beeping.