Dell Will Sell You A 5-Year Warranty, Not Actually Honor It

M. bought a five-year Complete Care Warranty from Dell, and this somehow led him to believe that he would receive five years of warranty coverage. Crazy, right? Consumers can be so foolish. But just because the site will sell you a warranty, and documentation on the Dell site says that you have almost a year left on that warranty, that doesn’t mean that you actually have that warranty, because the Complete Care warranty that includes things like accidental damage is only an add-on to the regular warranty that has already run out.

Here, let M. explain.

I bought their Complete Care Warranty (includes Accidental Damage) from their website. It was a 5 year warranty (Back in 2009/2008) and I had peace of mind. Everything was great until it was time to exercise the warranty (today). My laptop fell from the table and screen did not work anymore. I checked my Warranty status and it stated: “[356] days remaining on your Complete Care warranty. See the Warranty Tab for details”.

inspiron.gif

[Click to enlarge. This page says 355 because we asked M. for a screencap the following day. -Ed.]

Great, I was still under their Complete Care Warranty so I decided to chat with them. Long story short, Apparently, the Complete Care is just an addon to the base warranty. I bought 5 years thinking I had warranty for 5 years. In reality, it was however long my base warranty was.

The worst part is that they still say I have 356 days of complete care warranty left…even though in reality I have none. They are going to give me a pro-rated refund but now I’m stuck with a broken laptop.

So, I just want to warn everyone out there. Even if on the Warranty status it does you say you have warranty left – that is pretty much a lie.

Good to know, and consider the readership warned. If you want to complain to someone at the top, you can send him a note at michael@dell.com. We’ve heard that people get actual responses from Michael Dell’s peeps.

Comments

1. scoutermac says:

As a certified Dell Technician and former Dell employee. I would not buy a Dell.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

The only time I would buy a Dell is when my office is getting rid of the old models for a few bucks. I know they’re the best that were available at the time and are still in great working condition, and have the full version of Office on them (yeah, yeah, but I need it for work).

• Admiral_John says:

I handled the warranty repairs for our Dell PC’s at a bank I worked at a few years ago… I had to take an online exam to become “certified” to perform warranty work and order warranty parts and one of the questions on the exam was “On what side of the case is the power button located on a Dell Optiplex GX150 (or whatever the model number was)?” My choices were “left”, “right”, “front” and “back”.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Maybe I’ve just been exceedingly lucky but my last two laptops have been Dells (bought in 2005 & 2007) and we’re still using both. One was an XPS and the other was a bargain-basement model. We heard the same warnings back then too and only bought from Dell because of their no interest financing.

Before that, I had a Toshiba (1996) and a Compaq (1997) and we managed to get around 10 years out of both of them too.

• jimbo831 says:

Couldn’t agree more. I owned a Dell Inspiron 9300 a few years ago and bought a 3 year warranty with it. After several failed AC adapters, a failed motherboard, and two failed video cards, they finally replaced it with a new system, XPS 1710. I extended my warranty and it instantly paid for itself. After about 5 failed AC adapters, a failed video card and 2 failed DVD drives, they replaced my computer again, this time with an XPS 1730. Again, I had unlimited AC adapter problems and had 9 of these die on me as well as another video card. I finally was able to sell the thing and bought a cheap HP laptop and couldn’t be happier. It is not a matter of whether or not you will use your Dell warranty, but how many times you will. Not honoring it is outrageous. I will NEVER buy another Dell.

• spazztastic says:

You kept blowing Power supplies and motherboards, i suggest your electrical power source is bad. Very bad. I’m on my third Dell laptop in 10 years, and I’ve never had any sort of serious trouble with it, except for a failed HDD in one and a bad motherboard in another, both fixed under warranty within 24 hours of my first call for support.

• Trick says:

I am a Dell certified tech but I never worked for Dell. I am a System Administrator for 2100+ Dell’s OptiPlex workstations and Latitude Laptops. Our biggest issue was 745 AIO’s and their CMOS batteries, but not until the 3 year mark. We did have some PSU issues along with capacitors leaking on the GX620’s but not enough to say it was even a problem. Battery issues on 620’s and 830’s, but again, not until around the 3 year mark. On the very few issues that can’t be put into one group, we had replacement parts within 48 hours.

We also have 200+ Apple products, iMac’s, MacBooks and MBP’s along with Mac Pro’s. As a percentage, we have had far more problems with the Apple’s than Dell’s.

Outside my world of work, family and friends who have Dell it must be Dell Hell, I always hear horror stories that no where near match the experience I have had with Dell at work or with family and friends who own one.

I can’t say the same about HP (other than older printers) Compaq, Toshiba and Apple which I’ve seen plenty of problems…

(FTR, I personally own Apple products too that I like – iPhone, iPad and AppleTV along with my Dell OptiPlex 790 and Latitude E6520.)

• elangomatt says:

That’s the thing though. You support Dell’s at work, the other horror stories are generally with normal consumers. Back when I used to support Dell PCs (a little over a year ago) the support that was available to us as a business was always better than normal consumers get. Supplying businesses with computers is always going to be a higher priority since it makes them more money so they want to keep those business customers happy. I think many companies regard the consumer PC market as just an extra bonus but they don’t really see any reason to spend good money keeping them happy.

• Trick says:

Well, I will have to grant you that support for business is far better than consumer but like you said, that is the case with pretty much all PC manufacturer’s.

As for the actual hardware, I have found Dell to be very reliable since 2005 when we switched to Dell from a regional supplier and their own brand of computers.

I think there are extreme’s on both sides with the middle not saying much. We have those who are in Dell Hell and speak about it, those who have very few problems with Dell and speak about it then the rest, good or bad who say nothing either way.

Though my current count of Dell computers are around 2100, we have purchased over 3500 over the past six years and now we are replacing perfectly good units because they no longer meet our minimum standards. I would say less than 25 have been tossed out because of issues not worth dealing with. In my book, that is a good record.

• Trick says:

• kobresia says:

You nailed it– most people who find the tech support and customer service to be adequate don’t talk about it. Most people who receive what the expect don’t have a reason to offer public praise or criticism regarding their experience. Most who receive stellar service also won’t write-in to a consumer issues blog telling about their positive experience.

I’ve been using Dells at home & work for a number of years, I’ve found it to be more than adequate. A couple of issues I had with used high-end consumer systems I was fixing-up for resale were resolved quickly and effectively. The business level of support also meets expectations. If anything, I’ve found they tend to err on the side of exchanging broken machines for an upgrade to a better model a little easier than most folks, when they deem a system to be not worth repairing.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I have several Toshiba products, including two Satellite laptops, and I haven’t had problems. Until and unless they do, I’ll probably keep buying them.

I would someday like to have one of those cool Panasonic Toughbooks. Those are COOL. An AT&T tech who had one said they are really neat and really do take a lot of crap. But they are also quite pricey.

• kobresia says:

Yeah, as a former contract field tech for IBM & Dell, I would totally only buy hp-Compaq, Sony, or ASUS. They are the BEST brands out there, you never, ever hear about any shoddy workmanship or warranty runarounds from them! Or why not try one’s luck with one of the smaller brands like Toshiba or Panasonic, mail-in service can’t be that bad.

So, every time a story about Dell comes around, someone says something to this effect. What would you buy, seriously? I’m sure if I was motivated to run a search on Consumerist, I could find horror stories for each and every one of these brands, and they’d be roughly in line with each brand’s marketshare.

And yes, I really was a tech for IBM and Dell. I’m Dell certified yet again with my current employer. Sure, they may have their occasional rough edges, but those are the brands I would continue to buy for myself. Dells are easy to work on and the warranty service is generally tolerable. Lenovo seems to more-or-less be continuing IBM’s tradition of providing outstanding warranty service, but I’m not sure I like the newer Thinkpad styles, they seem unnecessarily complex to work on and just don’t feel as solid. But whatever.

• esc27 says:

HP? Only if you can wait 6 months for them to ship a machine similar but different than what you ordered. Otherwise their warranty and support is similar to Dell (on the business side anyway. I haven’t personally bought a machine in years.)

• kobresia says:

Yeah, hp is a sad, sad company. Their PC division has been a wreck ever since they acquired & merged Compaq, it’s almost a shame the new CEO didn’t just put it out of its misery.

• scoutermac says:

As a Lenovo Certified Technician I have had a good experience with Lenovo. I have not had a good experience with ASUS though.

• kobresia says:

Nothing beats the older IBM T4x & R5x systems. The latest model Thinkpad I owned was a co-branded z61p, one of the most solid-feeling laptops I’ve ever picked up. I still have an old x30 series though.

I lost confidence in Lenovo with the T6x series, when they first came out, I was dispatched to fix dozens of them. Lenovo seriously botched their supply line planning such that many customers were waiting for months to obtain Next Business Day onsite service and getting ridiculous runarounds. They even had the IBM call center folks telling the customers that the warranty was for “the next business day after we get your parts in” rather than “next business day after you call in your issue”. That was right about the time I quit, if there’s one thing I hate doing, it’s being put on the front line and being expected to defend really bad employer behavior.

Oh, there was also the whole Windows Vista thing on top of it all, with many folks suffering from a terrible, buggy OS rather than legitimate hardware gripes.

Maybe Lenovo has gotten its act together, but that transition right after the IBM training wheels came off was really a wreck and made it very hard to enjoy being an onsite tech, and really shaken my confidence in their support.

• brshoemak says:

I use Lenovo (from an IT standpoint) in an enterprise environment. I have not had a good experience with Lenovo. I say that as I type this from my Dell Latitude that has been rock solid for years. Everyone has their stories – it’s pretty much a fact that every PC company has a terrible product for a variety of reasons and someone out there hates it.

• Dryfus Ranon says:

Love Asus. Just got an ASUS Atom netbook for $200 and reloaded it with Win7 pro/ Office 2010/ Mappoint/etc. Added 1 gb ram for $13. External DVD burner for $30. And it weighs in at 2 lbs. My Toshiba Notebook is a hellava lot heavier. Never had a problem wit either ASUS motherboards but primarily use Gigabyte boards.

• juggler314 says:

These sorts of responses are useless, there’s a tech for every company (hell many) that will say the same thing. That’s why we have the wonderful word anecdotal…and why it’s mostly used to remind people that anecdotal evidence is useless…

similarly there are going to be bunches of people out there that have never had issues with dell.

On the actual issue for the OP above…well the configurator shouldn’t have let him buy a 5 year CC on a 3 year warranty. I just tried it and it wouldn’t let me do it.

• Lyn Torden says:

So back then Dell committed fraud! The OP should cause back and threaten the fraud criminal charges.

2. ingramje says:

This is the exact reason I no longer buy Dell computers and why Dell’s market share is dropping.

• Jawaka says:

Really? The exact reason? You purchased a Dell extended warranty that they didn’t honor too? Perhaps you should submit your story as well.

3. s25843 says:

After 4 years isn’t it prob more beneficial to just get a new laptop? You can get a somewhat good 15″ for $300-350 these days..

• caradrake says:

In my experience, accidental damage warranties will send you the replacement value, as your exact model is not likely to be manufactured anymore.

In 2011 I bought a netbook for $265 plus a $70 warranty. A month ago my daughter spilled her water and it fried the machine. SquareTrade gave me a full refund (plus 5% since I elected to get an Amazon gc) of $275.

I bought a new computer for $205 (Asus MeeGo, it’s actually a pretty nice machine once I dumped MeeGo and added Mint), plus a new warranty for $70.

When this one gets destroyed (in a house with two young kids, it is definitely a ‘when’ and not an ‘if’), I’ll get a refund and put it towards a new machine. This current one was so cheap that I’ll likely need to pay out of pocket for part of a new one, but that’s fine.

This is why I like accidental warranties on all of my electronics.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’m not sure if I could ever justify spending $70 to insure something that costs $275.

In the long run, sticking additional money into an ING saving account has always worked out well for me. I’ve always gone by the logic that insurance makes the most sense for protecting against catastrophic loss.

• u1itn0w2day says:

I think Consumer Reports recommends paying no more than 15% of the item value in extended warranties and service plans. $70 on a 280 item is 25% of cost.

I look at insurance as a bet. The customer is betting they will need and the company is betting you won’t need it. The OP said peace of mind was a factor in buying the Complete Care. No peace here.

• Outrun1986 says:

Different case if you have children who are very attached to their electronics but are prone to damaging them, which is pretty much every child. As he said its a question of when it will get broken not if. Probably worth getting accidental damage if you have kids and they like to destroy things. Totally different if you are like me who is an adult living in a house with no pets, kids or no smokers.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

We have two kids. I guess the difference is that if our kids break something, they’re not getting a replacement.

• caradrake says:

For a normal warranty, I would agree with you.

For an ‘accidental damage warranty’ I find it worth it because I *know* that the kids will break it, or it will otherwise get damaged, within 2-3 years and more likely within 1 year. So I’d rather pay $70 up front rather than putting it into a savings account.

4. penuspenuspenus says:

“Long story short…” I think we need the long story? I purchased a laptop 3 years ago with 3 years of Complete Care. I just used the warranty a few months ago prior to the expiry. Got my screen replaced as well as other things.

5. pgh9fan1 says:

Instead of the refund, I’d go for small claims court. It’s highly likely they’d be forced to pay for the full repair.

6. Captain Spock says:

I am confused… Why does the counter on the page say he has a year left, when it was what? Is there a coding issue with the website, or what exactly did he think the warranty was (and didn’t read in the fine print?)

7. Blueskylaw says:

When companies name products or services in a way to make you believe they actually care or give a sh*t about you (Dell Complete Care Warranty, Wells Fargo Credit Defense, etc…), they don’t.

8. Dryfus Ranon says:

Considering my success building with foxconn motherboards, which Dell uses, I do not recommend Dell PC,s or servers.

• maxamus2 says:

Don’t tell Apple about crappy Foxconn products…..

• Dryfus Ranon says:

I am completely aware that apple uses foxconn crap. Just read about Job’s insistance on a glass screen on the iphone and the speed that the plastic screen was replaced within 24 hrs.

9. deathbecomesme says:

When the op purchased the complete care warranty did it ask him to select how long he wanted it for? Or did it automatically set the time to 5yrs? If it automatically populated the 5yrs for you then you may have a case for small claims for some $. If you selected the 5yr coverage then it was just an error on your part not knowing that it was good only as long as your dell warranty was good. If that is true it just sounds like you are a victim of small/fine print. I’m hoping it auto populated and you get some resolution.

• Lyn Torden says:

That depends on whether they marketed the warranty add-on as complete and/or failed to inform him of the need for it to match the base warranty.

But in any case, I definitely recommend to never buy Dell. I’ve been making this recommendation since before M. bought this thing from Dell.

• AnonymousCommenter says:

If you select the complete care option, it must match the term of your warranty. Dell will not allow the purchase of a 5-year warranty and only 3-years of CompleteCare.

10. Blackadar says:

Print out the web page, send it to Dell along with an EECB. If they fail to respond in an acceptable manner, sue them in small claims court for the full price of the laptop. With that printout, it’s pretty much a slam dunk in court that your warranty is still running.

11. Southern says:

Something’s not right, because the Complete Care Terms & Conditions clearly states:

—————–

Scope of Services:

a. Repair and Replacement Service. During the term of this Agreement and subject to the limitations in this Agreement, we will repair or replace the Computer Device as necessary to correct any damage to the Computer Device which occurs during the usual and customary usage of the Computer Device because:
    An electrical surge damages the Computer Device’s internal circuitry, or
    You accidentally drop the Computer Device (in the case of Notebooks and/or Peripherals) or
    the Computer Device is otherwise accidentally damaged from handling including damage to:
    The keyboard if you spill liquid.
    The LCD/monitor cracks or shatters in extreme temperatures.

——————-

I think the OP needs to chat with a different Rep.

• elangomatt says:

I was going to look up the terms of that warranty, but I figured someone already had and I was right! I was thinking the same thing too that the terms of this warranty DID cover accidental damage like dropping the laptop. If the chat agents aren’t cutting it, I think the OP needs to probably call in to support (as painful as that might be) and keep escalating the issue until they honor the warranty.

I had a very painless experience just a month or so ago with Dell getting the hard drive replaced in my parental unit’s desktop 2.5 year old computer under warranty.

• scoutermac says:

Good luck with that. When you contact Dell most of the people you speak/chat with barely understand English. Or at least that’s what they pretend.

12. ray4jc says:

dell sold me a 5yr warranty including both limited tech support and complete care then when i tried to use it they said ‘that model was not eligible to have that much warranty on it’ so they gave me my money back and i got a new laptop after emailing mr dell

13. kathygnome says:

This does not sound correct to me. I would keep dialing for dollars.

14. Real Cheese Flavor says:

I must have incredible luck with Dell. Where I work we usually purchase seven figures USD worth of equipment every year (mostly Precision workstations, Latitude notebooks, Ultrasharp monitors, and PowerEdge servers).

The failure rate for these things (other than the bad capacitor debacle a few years back) has been nominal at best.

And as far as support goes, here’s essentially how most support calls go for me:

Me: “Ive got a Precision T3500 workstation, service tag [redacted]. It’s got a dead [part]. I’ve done [detailed troubleshooting steps].”

Dell: “Ok, according to our records that workstation is still under warranty. We can overnight the parts to you. Do you need us to dispatch a technician to replace the parts?”

Me: “Nah, I’ve got it.”

Dell then puts me on hold for a few minutes, comes back with a ticket number and follows up with an e-mail and I have my parts the next day.

I’ve also made personal purchases from Dell under the Small Business “store” and have received pretty much the same level of service.

• Blueskylaw says:

“I must have incredible luck with Dell. Where I work we usually
      purchase seven figures USD worth of equipment every year”

You don’t have incredible luck with Dell, it’s because you spend seven
      figures a year with them and you get the appropriate seven figure treatment.

• Real Cheese Flavor says:

Read my last paragraph.

I said I personally buy things using Dell Small Business (as in I buy myself a Latitude notebook every 3-4 years) and get pretty much the same treatment.

• Lyn Torden says:

You’re still buying from premium service at Dell, not the low end departments where they intentionally rip people off because they know that losing one of these customers for life doesn’t matter so much. They do better even for personal purchases connected to a business account because a failure here could mean losing a big account.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’m in the same situation. I’ve always had pretty good luck with Dell.

I’ve actually never had any problems with any computers I’ve ever owned. Hard drives tend to fail somewhere between 5-10+ years but that’s about it.

• DerangedKitsune says:

You see that’s the difference between you and the OP. YOU’RE Small Business, and thus considered reasonably valuable. The OP is a Consumer level customer, and thus treated like shit.

Seriously, the difference (especially nowadays) in the quality between consumer and small business/commercial level computer products is staggering. Companies still build commercial units with quality materials, because a business that leaves you for a competator takes far more $$ with them, are much faster to do so, and are way more sensitive to downtime than the average consumer. Plus, they’re willing to spend $$ on product. With consumer gear, it’s literally a race to the bottom, seeing who can make a computer the cheapest, because the consumer focuses pretty much solely on the bottom line. As long as the system is the cheapest, %80+ of people are content with that, the quality of the materials and support be damned.

15. dork says:

What would I do to fix Dell? I’d shut it down, and give the money back to the shareholders.

• deathbecomesme says:

Kevin Rollins when he took over tried to do exactly that. All he cared about was share holders and their bottom line. He sacrificed customer care for stock prices. That is when their reputation went down hill.

16. jedsa says:

Assuming that everything OP said is right, Dell is probably in breach of contract and almost certainly in violation of his/her state’s consumer protection law. I would file a small claims suit for the original purchase cost of the laptop, including the warranty and any other addons.

In some states, like Massachusetts or the District of Columbia, you may be able to receive treble damages (n.b. You need to check your state’s statute beforehand because you may need to ask for triple damages in the initial court filing!) and/or a statutory damage amount that can be higher than the cost of the laptop itself (in DC, for example, you can get triple damages OR $1500 per violation, whichever is the higher amount).

17. u1itn0w2day says:

I would make Dell produce in writing why the Complete Care plan is null & void based on the original warranty or lack of. They should only sell the add on warranty to run concurrent to the base or original warranty.

My guess the Dell customer service reps are rated on and told to look for any loop holes to make sure the customer is actually covered before granting a service request. These warranties are nothing but insurance which is nothing but a bet. The customer is betting they will need service and the company is betting they won’t. The company/house isn’t going to payout that easy.

Uh-oh, this customer wants to use what they paid for.

18. Taliskan says:

When you go to customize a laptop it gives you a warning, a few times, that your complete care and base warranty should match in years. So you would do 5 Year Basic Warranty + 5 Yr. Complete.

19. GrandizerGo says:

I have to agree, I have had nothing but tremendous laptops from Dell.
    I have had 6 personal ones, and my daughters, mid teens when I brought them their laptops, are still using them today 4 years later. In college. They get new ones this year for Xmas.
    At work we normally buy Dells as well.
    The OP problem he is having??? I would suspect something else is the problem like somewhere he is plugging into a faulty outlet that is blowing up his adapters. A quick look on google does not show those adapters having a consistent problem as he is having.
    Once the adapter is malfunctioning, of course parts inside are not going to last long either.

20. J-Purchase says:

I have several clients that use exclusively use Dell PCs, servers and laptops. Considering that all of their gear is business-level (Latitudes, Optiplexes) and not their consumer-level products (Inspiron) I get excellent service.

Part dies, I jump on chat and ten to fifteen minutes later, they have a new part scheduled for overnight delivery.

Then again, I’ve learned that you don’t purchase consumer-level equipment and expect fast warranty service. It sucks, but that’s the deal.

21. Mr Grey says:

I have never had a problem with Dell equipment –
    I work for a state government and my choices were Lenovo, HP, Dell – having worked with all 3 in the past Dell has been the best in customer service.

I seriously have not had an issue with getting a part, or replacement.

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

you haven’t had a problem because you are a business customer, and therefore spend a lot of money and get the appropriate treatment.

• Mr Grey says:

My wife has a Dell Inspiron, and I bought an XPS 8100 from the Dell Outlet – only issue we have had was a dead nic on my XPS. Dell replaced it at my convenience. whole process of trouble shooting, and and ordering the part was maybe 30 minutes. The onsite Dell tech took 20 minutes.

The only thing I wasn’t 100% happy with was that I had to have a Dell tech do the work, which I am more than qualified to do.

22. az123 says:

Dell is so in the wrong here, however extended warranties are the worst way you can possibly spend your money ever….. so the OP at least needs to take some consumer purchase courses to avoid wasting their money in the future

23. Gorbachev says:

I think the bigger issue is how is Dell selling insurance packages that can not be honored to begin with.

This smells like fraud to me.

• u1itn0w2day says:

How is a computer company NOT programing their website to not allow the purchase of a 5 year service plan or a plan that does not match other warranties in years. A message should pop up not allowing the sale and/or offering something else.

• Lyn Torden says:

It shouldn’t even need to match. The add-on covers different things. So the CPU burning out might NOT be covered under the original warranty since it did run out at 3 years, but dropping it, which is not covered under the original warranty ever, but is covered under the Complete Care, which is still in effect, should be honored.

24. Dell-Lorna M says:

Hi Michael, my name is Lorna and I am writing on behalf of Dell in response to your post. Thank you for making us aware of your concerns. Please Email me directly using the information on my profile, or contact me via Twitter @LornaAtDell or @DellCares. Once I have received your Email Address & Service Tag or Order #, I am happy to look into any concerns you are experiencing with your system. We appreciate you as our customer Michael, and your satisfaction is very important to us. Thanks for choosing Dell. I look forward to resolving your concerns.
    Dell-Lorna M

• Dell-Lorna M says:

I would like to get the specific tag info to do some process research to try to determine the cause of this incident. Please email service tag # and contact information to Lorna_McNamara@Dell.com or contact @DellCares via Twitter.
      Thanks,
      Dell-LornaM

25. juggler314 says:

This is probably dell’s error, I just confirmed that if you try and choose a 4 or 5 year complete care on a 3 year warranty – it pops up an error and wont let you buy the thing. I will note that their error handling is better now than it was a few years ago.

Also some lines of laptops just don’t come with 5 year CC…

• juggler314 says:

of course that being said…regardless of what the contract says (and i bet it does say you have to have a warranty for that time period too – remember CC is like a warranty add-on) – with some pressure they will probably honor it.

26. AustinTXProgrammer says:

This was an error in their sales tools. Whenver I have purchased the complete care option it would show an error if the warranty length didn’t match.

On the other hand, the complete care option was always the same price no mater how long, usually about $135 making longer warranties a slightly better deal.

Here is what my warranty page shows:

Complete Care DELL 5/22/2010 5/22/2013 387
    Extended Battery Service DELL 5/22/2010 5/22/2013 387
    Next Business Day Support QLX 5/23/2011 5/22/2013 387

27. George says:

I typically do two to three laptop screen replacements a semester (I work and live on a college campus; and fix computers on the side). While it stinks that Dell mislead you in the warranty purchase; you can fix the screen yourself for around $100. I usually order the screens from Laptopscreens.com or ebay.

28. Kestris says:

My last 2 computers have been Dells. I’ve had nothing but problems with them. The second one I was basiclly talked into by the husband and the sales person. This newest one is only 3.5 months old and has already been in for repair 3 times because of integrated hardware issues (this latest time was for the integrated network adaptor going out completely).

I will never buy another Dell.

The husband deals with Dells at his place of work. He says they’ve had more issues with them than he cares to count (which begs the question as to why he decided we needed to get Dells this time around for our personal computers). They’re gradually switching the Dells out for Lenovos.