Disabled Woman Protesting Foreclosure Arrested Outside Home Of Wells Fargo CFO

A woman who suffers from cerebral palsy and uses a motorized wheel chair was arrested after protesting the foreclosure of her home outside the house of Wells Fargo Bank Chief Financial Officer Tim Sloan. She claims she’s being punished for a stay in the hospital.

The L.A. Times says the woman was part of a group of around 80 protesters in San Marino, Calif., who had gathered during a two-hour standoff with police on Thursday night. The group was also protesting a city ordinance that require demonstrators to stay 150 feet from a protest target’s home or 75 feet from the curb — which would have meant staging a protest outside another house.

The police did allow the woman to wait for 15 minutes outside Sloan’s door, holding a mortgage payment for her foreclosed home. She’s lived on the property for 27 years, and says Wells Fargo won’t budge and negotiate a loan modification. She says she can now make payments again, after falling behind while being hospitalized.

About 90 minutes into the protest, police declared the assembly illegal and ordered the group to move. The woman refused, and was subsequently taken to police headquarters with the assistance of paramedics.

“I’m doing this because people need to see what the banks are doing. It’s awful. It has to stop,” she said. “When I was down and out in the hospital they took my house.”

Woman facing foreclosure arrested outside bank executive’s home [L.A. Times]

Comments

1. Straspey says:

“About 90 minutes into the protest, police declared the assembly illegal and ordered the group to move.”

Ummm…

So the local police department now has the authority to declare that the Constitutional right of free assembly expires after XX minutes and, can therefore, be declared illegal ?

What am I missing here ?

• Jane_Gage says:

They have to stand back. You want Westboro Baptist Church up your ass if one of your loved ones dies?

• Cat says:

“Westboro Baptist Church up your ass”

It may not be intentional, but I see what you did there.

• jayphat says:

They were on the guys property. They let her stand there for 90 mins then called it quits.

• Theoncomingstorm says:

Perhaps you should reread the Constitution, it bars the Federal government from interferring with peaceably assembling, on public property, however is guarantees no such protection when on PRIVATE property.

• history_theatrestudent says:

Were they on private property or a public area? Also the states have the 1st amendment applied to them through the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. Meaning the police would have to stop all protests, which would violate a requirement within the constitution for the federal government to ensure all the states have a republican form of government.

2. PunditGuy says:

There are insurance products that can help you continue to make payments on things like mortgages in case of hospitalization.

• The_Legend says:

Look at what you are saying. She has Cerebral Palsy. Is there an insurance company out there that would even give her a chance??

• PunditGuy says:

Might not be cheap, but I guarantee you that there’s a company that would.

• The_Legend says:

Do you understand disabled? It’s almost impossible to get any insurance products with a pre-existing condition. I challenge you to come up with payment protection insurance for someone who is already disabled.

• Blueskylaw says:

Wells Fargo Credit Defense to the rescue, and a bargain at $.89 per $100 of mortgage.

• Benyth says:

That would be more than my mortgage! A $150,000 mortgage would have a $1335 premium for this coverage.

• ablestmage says:

What does a pre-existing medical condition have to do with getting house-payment insurance? Medical insurance, sure, but mortgage insurance?

• Anne Noise says:

Way to assume she hadn’t tried any of those.

3. ob1canobeans says:

“… city ordinance that require demonstrators to stay 150 feet from a protest target’s home or 75 feet from the curb…”

This is why we should support the ACLU and hope they take this city to court, hopefully to have another unconstitutional ordinance overturned.

• StarKillerX says:

So, would you support the right for an abortion protestor to sit on the doorstep of an abortion doctor’s house to protest, or block the entrance to an abortion clinic?

No? But it was cases like those that gave us this restrictions on protests.

• Patriot says:

I’m sure you would be thrilled if hundreds of people sat right outside your driveway protesting you.

4. speling_champ says:

Oh the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin’ down the street, oh please let it be for me!

5. StarKillerX says:

While I don’t support eliminating the right to protest a business or government agency I think protesting at someone’s home is crossing the line and protests like that shouldn’t be allowed.

• regis-s says:

Years ago there was a group protesting in front of a local politician’s house and they were asked if it was fair to drag his family into a political squabble.

Their answer was his government’s policies affected the lives of their families. Why shouldn’t their protest affect his family?

6. az123 says:

Lived in the house for 27 years, I think there is a bit more of potential stupid refinancing and other things going on here that is not being reported on. I would at least like to know if rather than pay off the sales price of the house from 27 years ago they re-financed at the market peak and massively raised their payments. Not sure it would make the bank refusing to negotiate any better, but I really hate seeing half the story on anything.

While I do feel bad for people who have gotten screwed by the banks, a lot of times I see sob stories like this one and then later on some details come out and it is clear the person involved did not exactly act innocently. Reporters want an easy target these days and shock value… no more balanced reporting where at least they touch on both sides of the story.

• sponica says:

it’s possible to live in a house longer than you’ve owned it…if you bought your house from your parents for example..

granted I can count on one hand the number of people I’ve known who’ve done this

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah, there is alot of information missing from this story, and since she’s the one putting the story out I have to assume that she’s not putting the specifics out because they don’t look good for her.

In addition to the questions asked by az123 above I’d also like to know how far behind on her payments she was, when exactly she fell behind and how long she was in the hospital.

If she’s four months behind on her payments and wasn’t in the hospital until last week, and then it was only for 3 days, we would know she’s full of shit and is trying to use her illness as a weapon against the bank to try and manipulate public opinion to help her get what she wants.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I think many people don’t really understand how missing a single payment can snowball with a loan. Where, if you miss January’s payment but then make a regular payment in February, you’re now two months behind; essentially, the same status as if you hadn’t made in a Feb payment at all.

• ariz7677 says:

Yes, I’d like to know all the details about this story. I have a feeling it’s not as straight forward as this story paints the picture.

I also think it is unacceptable to go to an employee’s home. That is his private space and has nothing to do with Wells Fargo. If she has issues, she should go to the company properties and make her grievances there.

7. homehome says:

I don’t see a problem with any of this, they were trespassing and they got arrested. and she was foreclosed on because she wasn’t making payments. What’s the problem?

• SteveHolt says:

I hope you never find yourself ill/disabled/unable to work!

• homehome says:

Why don’t ppl like you move to a heavy socialist country so everybody can take care of everybody. I’m sorry if I still hold her to her responsibility, but what is your resolution, just ignore the bills of ppl who get sick or hurt and makes rates and payments jump up and be paid by everybody else?

• kursk says:

It didn’t say it was a closed neighborhood so if they are staying on the sidewalk, as annoying as they are, they weren’t trespassing. Now if they were blocking his driveway and preventing him from gaining access to his property or the street, then that is another thing.
      Now the woman with the check…if they asked her to leave and she didn’t, then yes she’s very much trespassing.

8. daynight says:

Just because there is a law permitting an action or a lack of a law prohibiting it does not mean that the action is right, just or moral.
    There is now a law that US citizens may be detained indefinitely without trial. Obama signed it in recently. That does not mean that it is moral or right to do it.
    There is the concept of war profiteering. There is the concept of extortion. There is the concept of abuse of all sorts. Rules are made about them because there is a baseline of morality that needs to be maintained. This is a case where, yes, the business may legally be able to do something that is visibly nasty to a human being.
    The problem is that business do not have morals. There is no place for them in the corporate structure. Any employee who attempts to provide human compassion is to be fired for such upcorproate behavior. After all, a corporation has no consciousness, no heart, no soul. Morality is irrelevant.

• oldwiz65 says:

Businesses have no concept or either morals or ethics. They do whatever they d*** well please and bribe the government to let them get away with it. Congress is now owned by businesses and the 1%, so they don’t have to worry.

9. Robert Nagel says:

Even the mafia doesn’t attack at a guy’s home.

10. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

*yawn*

Wake me when mobs with pitchforks start erecting guillotines for the 1%.

11. Jawaka says:

Wells Fargo’s new slogan.

“At least we aren’t EA”

12. dush says:

Freedom to assemble is now illegal. They declared it.

13. ariz7677 says:

I have sympathy for this customer. It’s very scary to lose your home and have collections at your door. I can appreciate that.

However, she signed a contract. I’m pretty sure that contract didn’t say “if you’re in the hospital, it’s ok if you don’t make your payments” OR “if you lose your job, we understand and you don’t owe us money”.

I faced a similar situation (got laid off in ’08 like a lot of people) and instead of blaming the bank for my problems, I did the right thing and worked with the bank to short sell my home. It wasn’t easy or fun, but it was the best option in a difficult situation.

Because I worked with the bank, they worked with me. I didn’t camp out in front on some executive’s private property crying that it wasn’t fair that I had agreed to pay them back for money I borrowed of my own free will. I do feel for her situation, but she handled her problems in an inappropriate way.

I’m all for free assembly and the right to free speech, but I think it’s reprehensible to attack an employee at their private residence. If you feel the need to protest, do it at the COMPANY’s property.

• Judah says:

I don’t think she wanted to protest, I think she wanted her problem solved. She wasn’t trying to make a scene and waste time, she was there to negotiate.

14. oldwiz65 says:

Wonder if the cops beat her as well? After all, the cops represent the 1% and businesses, so they aren’t sympathetic to the 99%. I’m surprised they didn’t taser her as well. These days the cops feel that any protest is illegal, so they feel free to declare anything illegal and get rid of the protesters. They no longer believe in the “right to assemble peacefully”, and the courts (paid by the 1% and businesses) fully agree.

15. framitz says:

This seems more a cop problem than a bank problem.