Mayor Calls For Boycott Of Gas Stations In His Town

It’s a common occurrence for a town’s mayor to make a public plea for residents to spend their money at local businesses, rather than driving a few miles outside of town to save a couple bucks. But one mayor in Illinois is so fed-up with the price of gas in his town that he’s asking residents to go elsewhere when it’s time to fill up their tanks.

The mayor of New Lenox, IL, says that gas stations in his town are charging significantly higher prices than what people pay in surrounding locales.

One driver tells CBS Chicago that gas stations in nearby Joliet charge 10 to 15 cents less per gallon that stations in New Lenox, where prices are charging upward of $4.14/gallon — around $.20 more per gallon than the current national average.

“The only way we can send a clear message to the companies is for our residents to shop elsewhere,” the New Lenox mayor tells CBS.

His rationale isn’t based on just wanting to punish the gougers. The mayor says that station owners tell him they base their prices on what other stations in New Lenox charge, not on what out-of-town stations are charging.

So if people go elsewhere for gasoline, at least one station will drop its price, likely leading others to follow suit.

Suburban Mayor: Don’t Buy Gasoline In My Town [CBS Local]

Comments

1. deathbecomesme says:

Supply and demand. If customers are willing to pay for higher priced gas it will continue to go up. Can’t blame them for it. But he is right that if they vote with their wallets the stations will rethink their prices.

• BobOki says:

I looked at supply vs demand nation wide. I know I hear on tv and news every hour on the hour we use more oil then we pump out of the ground, but its odd. When you look up the numbers, they just don’t match. As a matter of fact the amount of oil that is pumped out of Texas alone is more than what we use…. but we ship all that oil overseas to sell O-o?

Either way, the numbers are avaliable, go look… prices seem to have NOTHING to do at ALL with supply and demand (kind like how we all went ??? when they LOWERED the output of the oil refineries. If we have too much demand why would they gimp supply more?) and more to do with the weekly prices of oil futures instead. Last I looked oil futures are prices 20 years out…. but that seems to be the prices we pay now. Oil futures go up in market, oop gas prices go up… like clock work.

• DJSeanMac says:

*We* don’t ship that oil overseas to sell. The *corporation* sells it wherever it wants to. Free market works that way. Which is why I laugh at people who think the President has *any* say over how much gas costs. Sure, he could remove taxes. But we saw with airline tickets that the free market will raise their price to remove the savings, and we’d eventually have no roads to drive on. The only thing anyone could do to control the price absolutely is take ownership of it, and I don’t see us nationalizing oil drilling and processing in this country any time soon.

Also, gas stations rarely get to set their own prices. The supplier sets minimum prices based on a zone system of their own design. Again, “free market” at work. My a**.

• BobOki says:

Actually, a lot of the drillers in Texas get subsidaries to sell their oil overseas, and I really mean overseas man, not in the states, mexico or canada. But yeah, there is no *we* about it as I don’t own any drills in tejas, just have an uncle that works for one.

I do dislike when people say free market, becuase its a limit market. This is not the wild west and people do not just do what they want where when and how. There are regulations, deals made, partnerships, rules, taxes, tarrifs, ad naseum. One dealer cannot just lower his prices a bunch or raise his prices a bunch, thats unfair advantage or gouging.I have not asked but it would not surprise me if the US of A made a law forbidding local drilled oil to be used locally becuase imported oil would not be able to compete with the price, and we all know these guys are bought and paid for. Not throwing out anything conspiracy, just sayin’ anything is possible.

And I would have to agree AND disagree with you as well on the presidents control over oil prices. Currently we give the gas companies BILLIONS of dollars in subsidies, tax breaks, windfalls, rah rah rah. A president could easily threaten to make all that money go away if they do not lower their prices to a set price he specifies. Yes, you could say they could just pick up their football and go play somewhere else, but we both know that is a load of crap. They would not be ABLE to do so. The “supply and demand” would have a whole countries supply extra now and worldwide gas prices would fall to nearly nothing overnight, meaning not only would they not make money from us, but all the money they make from everyone else would be vastly less than before. Yes, the prez CAN make changes to FORCE people to do things. That said, this asshat in office is bought and paid for just like every asshat pres before him and more than likely every pres after will be. I guess once you have sold your balls to the highest bidder you no longer have any for consumer policies ;P

• KillerBee says:

The President can’t even remove taxes from gasoline. Only Congress can do that.

• MMD says:

Exactly. There’s something more than supply and demand going on here.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Oil is a commodity. Supply/demand applies, but it isn’t simple supply/demand like with most standard manufactured products. There are many subtle and unseen factors at work, including refinery capacity, regulatory environment, political environment, even weather forecasts.

• Bsamm09 says:

The longest contract I saw was for December 2020 which is only 8 years and is not really traded very much at all. I think there were two trades today. At $85. Whereas the June 2012 has been traded almost 210k times. Right now is almost at $104.

Don’t know where you are getting 20 years unless you mean 2020 and that price is NEVER quoted by anyone since it is so thinly traded it is not even relevant.

• Coffee says:

It’s not the supply and demand that I have a problem with; it’s the collusion. If all the stations’ owners have agreed to stop competing and just charge a jacked up price, that’s not right.

• CommonSense(‡≤†_‡≤†) says:

It is not supply and demand.
      The supply exceeds demand so our prices should be lower but they are not.
      Also gas is a necessity so the demand cant drop if prices go up. People will have to pay whatever they charge since they need gas.
      Usually in situations where something is needed like electricity and water so supply and demand does not apply, the government regulates the price to ensure customers cant be gouged.

• Coffee says:

Also, don’t forgot that because of the way the speculative oil market is constructed, the prices we pay now aren’t really dictated on supply and demand, but rather on what people purchasing oil futures months or years ago may have paid for oil.

• StarKillerX says:

You people really need to lighten up and think for a minute before you get your panties all twisted up in knots.

deathbecomesme is completely right as they are talking about the price difference between stations in the town and those outside the town.

• shepd says:

Supply and demand don’t apply to goods where the consumer (seems) willing to pay whatever the price is and the only result from the consumer is a slightly decreased demand and increased whining.

Imagine internet service. Most people with good high speed service say they wouldn’t do without it. If the price goes up, they’ll pay more. The question is, will they switch and will a competitor appear? At a certain price, yes, the consumers will switch to another brand of internet, and if that doesn’t exist, it would at a certain price (and then the consumers switch to it). Yes, this even applies to podunk single supplier rural areas. If that provider wanted $1,000 a month for internet, and people were paying for it, you can be damned sure someone else would service that market for $800 and consumers would switch right away, even if the cost for switching was $5,000.

Gasoline seems to be different. It’s rather nonsensical, really. Compared to internet, you’d have the same situation as above, and the competitor would move in, and people would say “$5,000? Are you crazy?”. The competitor would offer their product at an even more attractive price, say, $500 a month. People would say “You’re still crazy! No way!”. The government even steps in and says they’ll pay for half the cost of switching. “NO! I don’t want it! It’s inconvenient! My old service worked 365 days a year, the new one only works 360 days a year! Yeah, I know the new service works with my old equipment, but it’s $5,000, that’s 5 months to recoup it after government grants!”

And you wonder why they charge whatever they like to for gas.

FWIW, that’s about the savings you can have right now if you were to get your car converted to CNG. Assuming, of course, you drive a fair distance. If you barely drive at all, then the electric car makes more sense for you.

• RvLeshrac says:

Not a single thing in your… I don’t know what… makes the slightest bit of sense.

People don’t switch fuel sources for their car because, in the vast majority of areas, there’s no way to power such a vehicle. For alternative fuels, you have to wait until someone decides to install a fueling station for that source in your town, and then you’re chained to that station – you can’t leave the refueling radius.

If you live in an apartment building, you’re not going to be allowed to run an extension cord across the parking lot. If you rent your home, you’re not going to be allowed to demolish parts of the garage in order to install an outlet for an electric.

• shepd says:

As an owner of an alternative fuel vehicle, I feel in a good position to help educate you. I can only hope it helps.

Myth: People don’t switch fuel sources for their car because, in the vast majority of areas, there’s no way to power such a vehicle.

Truth:

I can find no cities in the US (as in population over 100,000) that do not offer a fueling station of some form, especially for LPG.

Myth: If you live in an apartment building, you’re not going to be allowed to run an extension cord across the parking lot.

Truth: Most alternative fuel vehicles use fuel, not electricity. LPG and CNG vehicles require an extension cord no more than your diesel or gasoline vehicles require one.

Question: The other issue with converting to electric or hybrid is that, yes, you can get enough raw mileage to get to work – but can that hold out through repeated starts and stops when dealing with multiple hours of rush-hour traffic? You don’t just have to drive 30 miles, you have to drive 30 miles *over two hours*.

Yes, it can. A CNG or LPG vehicle will start exactly the same way your gasoline vehicle starts. In the case of modern LPG, the vehicle does need to get to operating temperature before LPG is provided to the engine (older vehicles using fumigation techniques did not require this, but risked backfiring on heavy acceleration if the vaporizer hadn’t heated up). My LPG vehicle can idle for ~12 hours straight on a full tank. It can drive for about 5 or 6 hours on a full tank (In fact, after doing the math I’ve discovered it drives further on a full LPG tank than it will on a full gas tank). CNG vehicles do have limited range–about 1/3rd of what you’d expect on gas.

Unfortunately, so many people I’ve spoken with in the US seem to feel as you did (I assume you have changed your mind? Read up a little more, you might continue to be surprised–propane is used to boost diesel vehicles now as well). We’ve come a long way. Up in Canada, I actually expected this reaction I get down in the states, but instead, I think the record high gas prices have gotten the frog to feel the boiling water, so to speak. Most up here ask me how they can do the same thing for their car and what it does for me (In my case it isn’t saving me money compared to my old car, but it is letting me drive the biggest damn car money can buy for the same price as my old econobox per mile). The high cost of conversion does put some off, but the ones who are commuting 2 hours a day are keenly interested.

I stand behind my analysis of the situation: Gas prices are high because the consumer refuses to become fully informed of their situation, and is therefore being (Justifiably! This is the internet age, the information is plainly available.) exploited for their ignorance.

FWIW, CNG is the way you have to go in the states. LPG doesn’t provide the same value it does up in Canada (A curious thing considering your government *pays* LPG stations 50 cents per gallon pumped [yes, PAYS], whereas where I am they are instead taxed 4.7 cents per litre). CNG pricing, however, is pretty much exactly where it should be. That being said, mass conversion to LPG would probably significantly lower prices [as it seems to have done in Canada where the government early on encouraged its use for motor fuel], since current LPG stations treat vehicles as an oddity and price accordingly.

As for my recommendation about an electric car at the end, if that’s where you were getting the issue from, remember that I recommend that for people who hardly drive at all. To be honest, those people would simply be better off not driving at all. It would be better on their wallets, and would simplify their life. I understand that it’s not an option in smaller cities–in that case, I guess you gotta pay to play.

You’re welcome to keep disbelieving if you’d like. But I’m not lying here. You’re being exploited only because you CAN be and it’s your own personal choice to continue to be exploited if you like. Last excuse I remember before yours was actually from someone in Boston, complaining you can’t have propane in the tunnels. That’s true. Also true is that CNG is permitted. And, along those lines, many other areas permit LPG in tunnels–New York and Pennsylvania come to mind as recent areas I drove through.

• RvLeshrac says:

I just took a look. Living in Atlanta, the only fueling stations available are only open from 6 AM to 7 PM Monday-Saturfay, with only a few open on Sundays. Not counting Electric/Biodiesel/E85, because you claim the first one doesn’t actually matter, and the latter two are hardly improvements over gasoline.

The majority of them also happen to be a minimum of a one-hour drive from my location during rush hour, which is when they’re open, and the nearest station that isn’t LPG is nearly 20 miles away, with a roughly 2 hour drive during the rush-hour hours-of-operation.That’s an ENORMOUS amount of fuel to spend… trying to get more fuel.

• SuperSnackTime says:

“the only fueling stations available are only open from 6 AM to 7 PM Monday-Saturfay, with only a few open on Sundays.”

How in the world could one possibly plan a convenient refueling ritual with those insane operating hours?!?!?!

2. dragonfire81 says:

My bet is the out of town stations will magically raise their prices shortly.

3. Kialani says:

Don’t really have sympathy for them paying $4.14, because thats how much it is to fill up here. (I live in the Bay Area, needless to say I am glad that I can bike to work at least most of my work week!)

• MMD says:

The real comparison is this: does gas cost significantly more or less just a few miles away from you? And if so, why? That’s the issue at hand here.

• dks64 says:

Different gas stations have different prices here in So Cal, sometimes 10-20 cent differences. Some places just charge more (like Shell and Chevron). When I’m in Orange County, it’s more. When I’m in Los Angeles, it’s more. Right now, some places still have gas in the $4.30 range in my city. When people gripe about $4.14, I want to stab them.

• Papa Midnight says:

Allow me to pull a Consumerist…
        In [REDACTED] if I went to the Shell station at [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], I could expect to pay no less than .20 cents more than the average for the area. To get decent prices, I would have to drive either 4 miles northbound on Surface streets or 8-10 miles (depending on which station I wanted) southbound on the Interstate.

The Shell station which charges ridiculously over the area average is in a predominately Jewish neighborhood and the closest gas station to the Interstate exit (being approximately 1.5 miles from it). The next closest gas station is 2 full exits away Southbound on the Interstate and about 4 exits away northbound. The ones Southbound at exit 20 [REDACTED] also have a habit of charging about 10 cents above the area average. The one Northbound tends to charge below the area average. The one Southbound is in a predominately African-American neighborhood. The one Northbound is in a predominately White neighborhood and in close proximity to a University.

If one travels [REDACTED] Bound about 4 miles into [REDACTED] city which is predominately African-American, prices jump anywhere from 15-30 cents above the average. If one travels [REDACTED] bound about 10 miles, they come to a predominately Asian (specially Chinese immigrants) where prices tend to be around the average for the area. [REDACTED] bound from there and about 2 miles away in an area which is primarily frequented by Thai immigrants, prices for gas are also at about the area average. A few more miles [REDACTED] bound into a primarily White area which is known for being one of the most affluent counties in the state and gas prices drop no less than 10 cents below area average. Likewise, in another county which is primarily Black and also known for being one of the most affluent counties in the state, gas prices are also no less than 10 cents below the area average.

Some Tomfoolery is going on.

4. Gman says:

Not defending the gas stations actions [if they are colluding like is inferred here, bad, bad gas stations!]. But I wonder if other factors are at work. Some cities add an additional Gas tax that forces higher prices on local gas stations.

One would assume a mayor would know this [if his town has one]. But it is election year and we all know that means whatever they say is not intended to be a factual statement.

• regis-s says:

I’m pretty sure the gas station owners wouldn’t be shy about pointing out the fact they’re paying taxes the stations in surrounding counties aren’t.

• az123 says:

That is very true, there was complaining around where I live about gas in one area vs another (crossing county lines) and how on average they were 10 cents higher on the one side. After a lot of noise was made by the political types, the gas station owners simply responded… there is a 10 cent/gal tax in my county that is not in the other one, so realistically we should expect that gas to be that much more…. Very effective to win the argument when the other guy is at fault

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah, but politicians rarely let things like the truth get in the way of a good rant, especially when the rant gets them support.

• RvLeshrac says:

The fuck does the mayor’s statement have to do with the fact that the gas stations aren’t complaining about additional fuel taxes?

I can’t decide from your comments if you’re a troll, or illiterate.

• Jawaka says:

In many cases gas prices are set but a franchise or gas supplier and the local owner has no say in the matter but yeah, go ahead and punish him anyway.

• StopGougingMeThere! says:

Nope, no local taxes and this is in the same county as Joliet. So the prices are inflated by the business and/or fuel supplier.

5. RavenWarrior says:

Takes some balls for a major to discourage his own town’s commerce in any fashion, but in this case it appears well justified.

6. dragonfire81 says:

My bet is the out of town stations will magically raise their prices shortly.

• StarKillerX says:

I can’t watch the video so it’s hard to say since “right outside of town” can mean anywhere from 0.1 mile to 10 miles.

We have an Indian reservation near here that sells gas for 30 cents less then any of the local stations but it’s about 12 miles away. So if gas is $4.00 a gallon near me (just to simplify the math) I get 18 mpg with my truck and it has a 24 gallon tank. So if I got all 24 gallons on the reservation I would pay $7.20 less then off it, but once you factor in the gas used my savings would drop to $2.27 and during the day with traffic would usually take 45-60 minutes round trip.

And before you say “well I get 30 mpg in my car so it would be worth it for me” remember that you also have a smaller tank which makes for less savings per tank, which with a 16 gallon tank and 30 mpg the actual savings would actually only be $1.84.

So, as you can see it’s not worth the time to do this unless you are either heading that way anyways or you smoke as you can also get cigarettes for less then nearby.

Without knowing the distances involved, and what the area is like, it’s hard to say if the stations outside of town would raise their prices as it might be the only reason people get gas there since it’s less convenient.

7. Cat says:

“If Johnny’s gas station jumps off a bridge, you would too?”

When all competing businesses change their prices in lock-step, there is collusion and price fixing , whether they talk to each other or not.

If everyone in town did as the mayor suggests, they will have to lower prices to (nearly) what out-of-town stations are charging.

• Blueskylaw says:

“If everyone in town did as the mayor suggests”

Isn’t that collusion?

• voogru says:

Collusion is a bad thing.

So then please tell me why is it legal for employees to collude to raise the price of their labor? Isn’t that the same thing?

• atomix says:

It’s not always legal (see Wisconsin educators)

• qwickone says:

Collusion is always a bad thing from the perspective of those not in on it.

In the labor case, the collusion attempts to equalize the fact that employers and individual employees are unequal players. Labor unions attempt to level the playing field, which is why they gained popular support.

• StarKillerX says:

I can’t view the video, but from the printed story it’s hard to say if the lower price out of town is worth getting or not.

For example 12 miles from me is an Indian reservation where I can get gas for 30 cents a gallon less then I can where I am. As my truck has a 24 gallon tank my savings per tank would be $7.20 (assuming $4 a gallon here and $3.70 on the reservation) if I need all 24 gallons. But since my truck gets 18 mpg it would cost me $4.93 in gas, at the lower price, just to make the trip so that gives me a net savings of only $2.27 and to save that it’s about an hour round trip to go there and fill up (although when I smoked it was worth it as they also had cigarettes at a much lower price then off the res.)

And before anyone says “well my car gets 30 mpg” I’ll point out that as gas milage increases the size of the fuel tank decreases so the actually savings would be even less. Assuming 30 mpg and a 16 gallon tank would give a net savings of only $1.84 which isn’t worth the time it would take you.

8. Blueskylaw says:

It’s called zone pricing and the gas companies charge more in an area (wealthier) if they feel they can get away with it. When you ask a gas company about it they mention things like it costs money to drive to these remote locations so it costs more, then you ask them why it costs more on the highway than the inner city and they can’t come up with a reasonable answer because there is none.

Occams Razor

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

This.

I used to live in a suburb that was considered to be affluent and always ended up in those writeups of where to move to and best places to live, etc. Everything was more expensive than in the town right next door. Gas prices were 20-30 cents more. Many people just drove across the highway to the next town to buy gas, but that didn’t make stations in my town lower prices.

In many places you could see a gas station in each town (the town border was a highway), and you could clearly see the difference in price. Didn’t matter. If you turned north, you were going to pay more.

• StarKillerX says:

On Saturday of Easter weekend we drove to Baltimore Md for a cruise. An hour or two before getting to Baltimore I pulled off the highway to fill my tank, as you exit the ramp if you turned right there was a BP station about 100 yards from the ramp, if you turned left there was a Mobile and Exxon station. We went to the BP station first and their price was $4.18 a gallon (which was 10 cents higher then it was in Western NY where we live) and I said “well we might as well check the other stations.” I assumed they would all be priced about the same and boy was I wrong. The Exxon station was $4.09 but the Mobile station, which was directly across the road was only $3.88.

Now I could almost understand the BP price difference as you can’t see the other prices from it and most people will turn right instead of left so they might getting enough business to make money, but how does a station in the middle of nowhere survive while charging 21 cents a gallon more then the place across the street?

• MrEvil says:

No, here’s the explanation:

Why? Because screw you, that’s why!

9. consumed says:

I don’t understand people who drive out of their way to save a few cents on gas.

Let’s say gas is $4 a gallon. Let’s say you drive 10 miles to a station that charges 10 cents less per gallon. If your car gets 20 miles per gallon, you’re going to burn $2 worth of gas, plus the additional time, to fill up your near-empty 15 gallon tank. You’ve saved $1.50 on your fillup but you’ve wasted $2 worth of gas getting their in the first place. Net loss: 50 cents plus time and wear & tear on your vehicle.

It gets even more silly when there’s a gas station charging 5 cents less than one across the street and there’s a huge line of people at the cheaper station, idling their engines waiting to get to the pump. And it’s a huge waste of time.

• redskull says:

My dad used to do that when I was a kid. Even as a kid I knew that it didn’t make any sense.

• speaky2k says:

I agree with this. Where I live another state is about 20min away where their gas tax is less than where I live. A few months ago there was an article in the local paper proving that fact. However, I will drive to a further gas station where the price is less, but only if there is another reason for me to be in that area. I have never drove more than 5 miles out of my way (round trip) just for cheaper gas. And with online gas comparison like http://gasbuddy.com there is no reason to not be able to plan trips to grocery stores, restaurants, or other places that are close to where the cheapest gas in the local area is.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

So we should bend over and take it.

• dks64 says:

That’s exactly why I won’t drive far out of my way for cheaper gas. It makes no sense.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

You would actually lose $4. If you drive ten miles to the station, you need to drive ten miles back.

• HomerSimpson says:

Where do all you people live that the nearest gas station is 20 miles away?

• joako says:

My BMW has an 18.5 gallon tank :(

10. crispyduck13 says:

Wish our mayor would do that, hell I don’t know if my tiny ass town even has a mayor. My little ‘burg sits right along a major interstate that accomodates a ton of daily commuters. Our gas prices are consistantly $.20 higher per gallon than the next town over. All the stations are within a cent of another here, next town they are all within a cent of another there.

11. Hartwig says:

A .10 to .15 difference and he makes this statement? In most places you can cross the street and see that sort of differentiation. I guess if the $2.00 dollars is worth their time and effort to drive out of town to buy gas more power to them, but i think the mayor should look elsewhere for issues.

12. LanMan04 says:

Illinois has VERY expensive gas compared to the rest of country due to state taxes. It’s silly to compare the stations in this particular town to the national average to imply they’re over-charging. The entire state is like that.

But yes, just checked Gas Buddy and they do charge 10 to 20 cents more. So? I can drive 10 miles in any direction in Chicagoland and see a difference of 20 cents one way or another.

• MMD says:

Yes, but the question is: are these justifiable cost differences? Should we just accept this just because that’s the way it’s always been?

• LanMan04 says:

?? Define justifiable.

Businesses can set their prices as they see fit, and I can be free not to shop there.

13. WeaponX2099 says:

I’m 8 miles away from New Lenox, but out this way the price difference change from town to town. Where I live is 5 to 10 more than the New Lenox prices. But the prices change from county to county. But it’s still stupid.

14. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

This will only work if they don’t buy for one day.

15. vdragonmpc says:

Im so sick of the ‘The US uses more crude than anyone else’. Its a media tool that is only for people that cant look at facts and love to bash the ol american stepchild. The truth is that YES we take in crude BUT we ship back out the refined products. You see other producing countries simply dont have the capability to make the products they need.

Look at where diesel and other refined products go. Whats really neat is it then gets repackaged and sent BACK.

The main problem is well known and poo-pooed to cover it up. Between the traders and the NIMBY groups we cant get infrastructures fixed. Now we are eventually going to pay a hard price for many enviro-groups that have forced us into a corner. Try to find a refinery in the central US and you will see just what kind of exporter we really are. Then ask why Obama blocked the oil pipeline that would have eased some issues.

16. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Case in point – all the gas stations in the town near where I live had gas for $3.959 last week. Gas down the street from my office is $3.799. Guess where I filled up? And no, the area where I live is not wealthy by any stretch. Our county has about 20% living at or below the poverty level. The same gas station chain is selling gas in the town near me at $3.959 and $3.799 at the station down the street.

I’ve noticed all the stations in town have the same price all the time. If one of them raises the price, they all do, and they’re slow to lower them.

17. One-Eyed Jack says:

http://www.gasbuddy.com – the Droid/iPhone app is great because you can see prices via a map, or you can save searches for places you visit frequently. Or if you check their website, they have “gas price heat maps” so you can see how prices compare nation-wide or state-wide at just a glance.

18. SmokeyBacon says:

Well, I work 15 miles from there and live 25 miles from there and on my drive to work the average price seems to be 4.19/gallon. There is one station that is always a lot higher for some reason (which is odd because it is less than 1 mile from 2 other stations that are always lower), so heck, upwards of 4.14/gallon could still be cheaper then I can get (if it is 4.15-4.18).

19. NotEd says:

That’s funny, I was just reading this story in a copy of the local paper someone left in the breakroom at work.
    This is why we travel over to get our Gas at Sam’s Club (or Costco, or where ever Gas Buddy says is cheaper and falls on our daily communte). Frankly, having come from the east coast, I’m still not used to extreme sticker shock of Illinois gas prices.

20. PLATTWORX says:

The mayor drawing attention to lower prices in Joliet will cause the gas suppliers to those stations to jack up their prices to Joliet stations to match New Lenox. Well done!

(People are far too lazy to drive to the next town for gas. The highest priced station in our area always has lines when you can save 10 cents a gallon driving ONE MILE down the street.

21. majortom1981 says:

Thats messed up. IN NY the state and counties regulate gas price areas. one station in a town might have to have his gas say 15 cents higher because the state or county told him so. Also you are hurting the station owner who could be a resident of the town since the owners dont make their money from the gas.

22. Pigfish99 the randomly insane says:

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH! and the high gas prices.

Cookie for those who get the reference.

23. StopGougingMeThere! says:

I’m curious how many of these gas stations are located off Interstate 80. My former hometown is 30 miles west of New Lenox and the gas stations next to I-80 ALWAYS charge 20-30 cents more than the ones a quarter mile down the road. And in case anyone wonders, New Lenox has no local fuel taxes and is in the same county as Joliet so it really is an apple to apple comparison.

24. oldthor says:

Absolutely wrong! This is America where all our corporations are now considered people(very rich people) gas as in health care is for profit. Why don’t people understand it’s all about the M>O>N>E>Y!

25. dush says:

More government interferring in free market forces.

26. Knyte says:

That’s the way it works. I managed a Shell station years ago, and corporate based our prices on the Arco station across the street. We were always suppose to be $0.05 more than them. So, whenever they changed their prices, we followed suit.

We never set our own prices. Our competitor did.

27. lakecountrydave says:

New Lenox is roughly 15 miles from the Exxon Mobile refinery that is one of Illinois largest polluters. I am lucky enough to live between the two;)