Lucky Woman Defies Odds, Wins $1 Million Powerball Lottery Twice In One Day

Try as you might, you can’t seem to win one dang lottery, much less win two in one day. Sure, life isn’t fair — unless you’re the woman who happened to have two Powerball tickets with winning numbers on the same day. Share the wealth, lady!

The Virginia Lottery says the woman, who happens to be named after the state she lives in, had her numbers ready to go when she picked up her two tickets weeks ago.

“I picked numbers based on my parents’ anniversary and their ages at that time, divided by the year they were married,” she said. “I just love the jackpot games and I play when I can afford it.”

It paid off when the numbers were drawn earlier this month. Virginia said she was visiting her mother in the hospital when she saw the numbers scroll across the TV with the news that there were two $1 million winners.

“I looked at my mom and said ‘Wouldn’t it be funny if it was us?’ ” Funny — and crazily enough, true. She knew when she stopped at the store that the clerk wouldn’t be able to pay out the amount she’d won, as stores can only hand over $600 at a time.

“I must be dreaming,” she said. “I look forward to helping to take care of my parents and paying some bills.”

That’s a dream we’d like to have.

Two $1 million Powerball tickets — Berryville woman has them both! [Virginia Lottery]

Comments

1. HowardRoarksTSquare says:

Should have been paying those bills with the lotto money instead of wasting it on a pipe-dream that somehow came true.

This is a bad lesson to teach those in that social-economic background. Your odds of winning the lotto are as poor as most of those people already are.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

From the fine summary:

and I play when I can afford it.

• HowardRoarksTSquare says:

From the article, “I look forward to helping to take care of my parents and paying some bills.”

Sounds like the money should be going towards bills – not gambling.

• clippy2.0 says:

I have bills. I have over 100 thousand in student loans. It wouldn’t kill me to play to lotto now and then, because I have monthly payments; however if I won 2 million I would certainly pay off my loans. It could be a situation like that

• Coffee says:

I have bills…sometimes I get a $5 ticket because I like to think about what I would do with the money, even if I know it’s not going to happen. It’s fun. It’s entertainment.

• NickJames says:

Because that $5 or $10 spent a week can definitely help pay out those student loans and hospital costs.

• Rena says:

I buy a lotto ticket about 2-3 times a year. Will I ever win? Hardly likely. Is it a waste of money? Meh, I consider it entertainment.

• Captain Walker says:

Jealous much?

2. Cat says:

At least she wasn’t on the welfare when she won.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Cearly she used the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42. That is the only way such an unlikely thing could occur.

4. chiieddy says:

So wait. She got two tickets for the same lottery drawing with the same numbers? WHAT?

• HalOfBorg says:

I’ve heard of that happening when husband and wife didn’t know the other had bought the tickets (always get same numbers) but one person?

• ovalseven says:

This doesn’t make sense to me either.

• captadam says:

She didn’t win the top prize. All her numbers didn’t match.

• RedOryx says:

Well, she said she picked numbers based on her parents, their anniversary, and how old they were when they got married. Maybe she got one ticket with her mom’s info and one with her dad?

• demeteloaf says:

The way powerball lottery works is that there are two seperate containers of balls. The first bag has 59 balls, and the second container has 35.

Each drawing picks 5 balls out of the first container, and 1 ball out of the second container. (the “powerball”) To win the jackpot, you have to match all 6 balls. However, there are lesser prizes for matching a smaller number of balls. If you match all 5 balls drawn out of the first container, but not the powerball, you win $1,000,000.

This woman apparently bought multiple tickets with the same first 5 numbers, but a different powerball number on each ticket. When the first 5 numbers hit, she won $1,000,000 for each ticket, but she didn’t match all 6 on any, so she didn’t win the jackpot.

• philpm says:

I saw this the other day, and she ended up with the second ticket by accident and decided to keep it anyway.

5. techstar25 says:

Technically, every lottery winner defies some pretty incredible odds.

• Damocles57 says:

Actually, every lottery ticket purchased (winners and losers) has the same statistical chance of matching the eventual “winning” lot of numbers. All winners seem to think their “special” method of choosing their set of “special” random numbers somehow contributed to their winning and makes them “special.”

The headline for this story should have read, “Tens of thousands defy odds when buying Lottery Tickets,” and then, “One person in the right place at the right time to collect.”

• JollyJumjuck says:

Chance schmance. This is why I don’t play the lottery anymore. You have to be LUCKY to win, statistics be damned. To me, Luck has been a Cunt, a Bitch, and a Whore, but she has never, EVER been a Lady.

6. Sarek says:

This sort of happened a couple of decades ago (I forget which state). The patron had bought a ticket, but thought it didn’t go through correctly, and bought another one. But the 1st ticket did go through. That number combo hit. As I recall, there were 4 other people with winning tickets, so she got 2/6 [i.e. 1/3] of the prize instead of the 1/5 had she not bought the 2nd ticket.

7. Remarkable Melba Kramer says:

She better not go outside in a thunderstorm for a while.

8. RandomHookup says:

She did division? So much for the lottery being only for people bad at math.

9. Rena says:

I call shenanigans. Clearly, she hacked reality.