Throw Out That Toupee: Researchers Successfully Grow Hair On A Bald Mouse

Has your bare pate led you to extreme measures, perhaps shoplifting Rogaine? Stop your life of crime and toss your hat in celebration — scientists have successfully grown hair on a bald mouse. Humans can’t be too far behind, right?

Yes, it is creepy to see long black hair sprouting from a bald little mouse, but those smartypants Japanese scientists have accomplished something that bareheaded men (and women!) everywhere will likely be paying close attention to. CBS News says not only were they able to grow hair, but they manipulated the density and color of the locks as well.

“Our study provides a substantial contribution to the development of bioengineering technologies that will enable future regenerative therapy for hair loss caused by injury or by diseases such as alopecia and androgenic alopecia,” researchers wrote in the study.

They cultivated and transplanted mice hair follicles as well as human hair, which continued to regenerate after it fell out like normal hair does.

Might be time to break up with Hair Club for Men.

Researchers successfully grow hair on bald mouse: Humans next? [CBS News]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:
  2. Cat says:

I don’t need MORE hair. I just need to move the hair I have from where it shouldn’t be to where I want it. And a painless, inexpensive way to remove whats still left and make it never come back again.

[Leaves to shave his toes]

• pythonspam says:

Bilbo, Bilbo… Bilbo Baggins — the greatest little hobbit of them all.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I love this comment! Sadly, there are many people who don’t really need more hair, but need to migrate the hair they do have to the correct location.

As an aside, your comments make me smile! And in a stressful life, that’s something to be thankful for.

• B2BigAl says:

Amen brother. My hair hasn’t fallen out so much as it has made a cowardly retreat southward.

3. Bsamm09 says:

I am a guy with thinning hair and while I don’t particularly like that fact, I have accepted it as it is something I cannot change. I do feel bad for the women that this happens to.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

Buzz it :)

I started losing my hair in my early 20s. I decided not to fight it. I’ve saved a fortune in haircuts over the years, and I never have a “bad hair day” (OK, so I never have a “good hair day”, either).

I haven’t owned a comb in years.

• dolemite says:

I’ve accepted it too, but if someone figures out how to reverse it…I’m all for it.

4. odoketa says:

OMG the cosmetic opportunities are endless – blond hair transplants in Japan will sell like hotcakes, and probably here too – and if they can figure out how to adjust the coloring (will this allow people going grey to grow not-grey hair?)

• SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

Let’s not limit ourselves. I want metallic red hair on the left side, and florescent green on the right.

5. gman863 says:

I can’t wait to see the Japanese ad for Honorable Bosley Rodent Human Hair Bring-Back System”.

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I think the political bias in this article is positively astounding. Mary Beth as her worst yet again.

/snark, I hope it was obvious

7. gman863 says:

I can’t wait to see the Japanese ad for “Honorable Bosley Rodent Human Hair Bring-Back System”.

8. redskull says:

If Captain Picard is any indication, there will be no hair restoration treatment until sometime after the 24th Century.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

And if Locutus is any indication, we will all have to deal with some major skin discoloration issues then, too.

• TuxedoCartman says:

i didn’t want you to find out this way, but Captain Picard? Skinhead. It’s true.

9. Quake 'n' Shake says:

Does this involve cocaine and Miles Davis?

10. GoldVRod says:

Hair Club for Mice and Men

11. ironflange says:

Grass doesn’t grow on a busy street!

12. cspschofield says:

When I was a teen I swore an oath that if I ever found myself obsessing about hair loss I would shave the whole thing. Now I’m fifty, and no sign of thinning. Go figure. Maybe not worrying about it helps?

13. Naked-Gord-Program says:

Thank goodness. Hopefully by the time I start losing my hair this will be on the market and safe at a reasonable cost.