Nudity Is Always A Fun Way To Protest The TSA

Perhaps the man who stripped naked at the Portland International Airport security checkpoint last night just figured he was saving the TSA the step of having to pat him down for concealed items?

According to KATU-TV, around 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, the man took off all of his clothes at the TSA checkpoint at PDX, apparently in protest of what he views as harassment by the agency.

The man managed to get all the way down to what the good lord gave him, in full view of other travelers, at least one of whom was on-the-ball (no pun intended, but why not?) and snapped the above photo.

Screeners reportedly asked the protester to put his clothes back on but he refused. Meanwhile, two lanes were shut while agents dealt with the matter, meaning his protest likely resulted in longer waits for the same travelers on whose behalf he was baring his bizness.

In the end, he was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and indecent exposure and held on $4,000 bond.

KATU reached the man’s father, who said, “This is quite a shock. He hasn’t been under any stress that I know of. He’s never really under any stress. He works for a computer company in California. He does something with the Internet, which is just kind of mystical to me. This is quite a surprise.”

Man protests airport security – naked [KATU]

Thanks to Amy for the tip!

Comments

1. MattAlbie says:

Wow, and his father probably just got him fired, too. Way to go, dad.

• Hoss says:

If he really does mystical stuff on the internet, I’m sure he could kill the TSA and work from prison

• taaurrus says:

I think what the dad meant was that he (the dad) didn’t understand what dude did with computers & the internet – so it is “mystical” to him (the dad). Dad’s an old-timer – probably has never used a computer or the internet. So, I don’t think the dad was referring to any specific thing dude did on the internet – I don’t think there is any specific secret going on here.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Somewhere in a California computer firm, someone is pointing at their monitor and saying “hey, isn’t that Bob? I thought he called in sick.”

• Clyde Barrow says:

The guard standing next to him has that look of, “Gawd I should have stayed home in bed this morning!”.

• mackjaz says:

I think he’ll be a hero to his computer geek coworkers.

2. skitzogreg says:

He’s clearly wearing a black square. He is in no way naked.

3. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

What’s the difference between this and the nude picture machine they use?

I think this is hilarious, btw. I hope to see a lot more of this type of protest this year. Embarrassing the government is fun!

• Remarkable Melba Kramer says:

The difference is that small children aren’t seeing the image on the “nude picture machine”.

• msbask says:

I don’t have small children anymore, but I have an 8-year old nephew and 11-year old niece.

I guarantee that if they were in line and saw this guy, they’d be too busy snickering and saying, “Auntie, look at that naked man over there!!” to be traumatized.

• GinChevyChase says:

If this type of protest could somehow involve SI swimsuit models, then I too think it is hilarious and would like to see more…

• taaurrus says:

I would think it was hilarious too – if not for the CHILDREN in the airport. If I had been there with my kids – I would have been seriously pissed off. This was very inappropriate and bad judgement’y to do in a place where KIDS are present.

• WhoLikesPie? says:

OH GOD NO… your CHILDREN (putting things in all caps is fun!)… you might have to do some parenting! How terrible would that be, to have to explain this to your kids, I mean, who parents anymore, that’s so 1800s. He’s just standing there nude, he’s not raping a goat, get over it. It’s the human body, not that big of a deal.

• Remarkable Melba Kramer says:

It is just as simple as an adult male(or anyone else for that matter) shouldn’t be naked in public for all to see.

It should be my decision as to when my children are exposed to nudity, not when some burnt-out hippy at the airport decides to do so.

• bluline says:

Oh, my god! The CHILDREN! Nudity! That’s so unnatural! Cover their eyes lest they go blind!

• GaijenSoft says:

I didn’t know we were capitalizing all the letters in kids and children now a days.

Or, are you trying to make a point by typing in caps?

• Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

Because a naked human being is totally going to ruin your kids’ lives for like ever.

• Mrs. w/1 child says:

I am extremely conservative and a naked man just standing there (not aroused, doing nothing sexual) would be just fine for my (young) daughter to see. Now if he was touching himself or acting lewd, it would be a different matter.

The context of nudity is what determines if it is appropriate or not, damaging or not for children.

• LabGnome says:

Seriously nudeness is only a deal to children because they see how it affects adults (particularly prude adults).

• grumpygirl says:

I’d rather my children see a naked dude standing in the airport than have them watch the TSA sexually assault people. Each to their own, I guess.

• OSAM says:

Your troll attempts aren’t entertaining anymore.

• Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

It’s amusing the shit out of the TSA, or at least I hope so. What better way to get them all to quit their stupid job by making them look at furry man-ass?

• FatLynn says:

The difference is that this doesn’t cause cancer? And you can’t sneak a weapon past the TSA by putting it on your “z-axis”?

• smartypants503 says:

I think he was actually protesting the fact that PDX does not have the “nudey scanners”. He’s just doing his part to keep ‘merica safe.

4. PercussionQueen7 says:

“He does something for the internet, which is just kind of mystical to me” is my favorite quote from the news today thus far.

• MattAlbie says:

That’s like what my stupid parents would do.

“He works on the Internet, which as you know, is magic.”
      “Sir, we didn’t ask you about that. Why do you keep talking about what he does for a living?”
      “I don’t know.”

• PercussionQueen7 says:

My parents aren’t stupid, but I can still amaze my mom by getting something way cheaper on Amazon than wherever she’s looking and by googling simple stuff. She didn’t get an email address until 2007, I think. LOVE YOU MOM!

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I love my parent’s view on the internet too. They’re in their mid 70′s, and their parents went from riding on horseback or in a wagon to seeing space travel in their lifetimes. My Mom won’t pay her Discover bill on the Discover website, but she’ll sign in, look at it, wait for the paper bill to come in the mail, write a check, and mail the payment back to them. She says it isn’t “safe”. But she allows autodebits from utilities, etc. directly from her checking account. I just shake my head.

5. HoJu says:

Dear naked protesters- Please be more attractive. Signed, Everybody.

6. fs2k2isfun says:

I’ll be contributing to his legal defense fund.

• BazinFS says:

He won’t need it, it is not illegal to be naked in public in Portland.

• taaurrus says:

Omgosh – I didn’t realize this was in Portland. You are right. It is NOT illegal to be naked in public in Portland as long as it is, in no way, sexual. Which, now knowing it happened here in Portland, I don’t understand why he was charged with “indecent exposure”? I’ve seen both guys & girls completely naked downtown hanging out in the same area as police (and kids). It’s just NOT illegal in Portland to be naked. A friend of mine had a guy purposefully step out of his car, with his pants around his ankles, in front of her 5 year old – she called the police, they told her he had committed no crime and refused to do anything.

7. JF says:

Good on him!

8. baltimoron says:
  9. bsh0544 says:

The problem with this plan: he could easily be branded a sex offender for the rest of his life. After all, think of the children!

Far better to wear a banana hammock so you have a prayer of convincing the judge you didn’t show your dangly bits to entire families, while still being just as much of a spectacle.

• BazinFS says:

It is legal to be nude in public in Portland. I can’t believe they were able to arrest him, but the charges will probably be dropped.

• taaurrus says:

This happened in Portland, Oregon – where it is NOT illegal to be naked in public and therefore; he was in no danger of being labeled a “sex offender”.

• spamtasticus says:

I would rather my daughter see 1000 naked fat guys than have a single TSA agent iradiate her or touch her genitals. This guy is a true patriot!

• econobiker says:

Maybe a mesh speedo style swimsuit would work too.

10. Hoss says:

If he is actually holding a valid airline ticket and intended to go somewhere, that’s not a protest, it’s the act of a delusional chump with money to burn.

11. fsnuffer says:

I am sure the person flying home to see their dying mother appreciated missing their flight.

• Tiercelet says:

Then such a hypothetical person can send all kinds of nasty letters to the government about the ridiculous security theater that’s been interfering with travel for the last ten years.

• WhoLikesPie? says:

You mean Steve? No Steve was totally cool with it, he told me so. His family is big on the right to protest and freedoms… He did end up making it home to see his mother. From the sounds of it she’s going to make a full recovery too! Win-win-win!

12. Blueskylaw says:

“He’s never really under any stress. He works for a computer company in California.”

Well, there’s your problem!!!

13. Extended-Warranty says:

Look at this, another hippie standing up for his rights that he read about online two months ago. Good for him.

14. penuspenuspenus says:

After returning home yesterday holland and dealing with tsa I will rethink my plans in the future. Two “surprise ” gropings which was well invasive. Guy running his hands through my hair, feeling up every inch of my body in public, it was beyond what I have experienced before at an airport. Especially when I made extra sure I had nothing on me to set off metal detectors. And to have it happen twice is bullshit. Im not white or black and I completely felt singled out because of it. Random checks my ass.

15. penuspenuspenus says:

16. penuspenuspenus says:

17. impatientgirl says:

I wasn’t there and didn’t see him, and neither were my daughters, so I find it hilarious and brilliant. :)

• iesika says:

If the kids in my life had seen something like this, I would have taken the chance to explain to them about civil disobedience. That’s a hell of a memorable lesson right there.

18. penuspenuspenus says:

19. taaurrus says:

I love how the TSA agents, in the picture, are just standing there looking like they are just ignoring naked dude!

20. FatLynn says:

I can’t believe that there are posters here who think the PROTESTER is the problem, and not the security theater we call the TSA.

21. CrankyOwl says:

Thanks for doing your part in keeping Portland weird, Naked Guy!

22. wkm001 says:

He will likely have to register as a sex offender where he lives. I feel bad for him because of this. I wonder if he considered this beforehand?

• varro says:

Nope – he wasn’t charged with indecent exposure – and being naked in public in Portland is not illegal unless you are doing something “lewd and lascivious”.

Disorderly conduct is the catch-all when the cops want to charge you with *something*, anything. Likely the charges will be either 1.) dropped; 2.) Pled out in Community Court for 8 hours of community service and expungement; 3.) Pled out at a hearing for a $50 fine.

• iesika says:

I think he’s doing a community service right there in that photo. This brightened my day right up!

This is far more likely to get mainstream news coverage than your standard dozen-people-with-placards protest. Good on him for being willing to get arrested for something he thinks is important.

Then again, maybe he wasn’t protesting anything and he just likes getting naked.

23. Charmander says:

I wonder why he was arrested. Doesn’t being completely naked make it a lot easier on the TSA people? They should have been happy that he was just helping them with their job.

• BorkBorkBork says:

I know right? This guy is a Patriot – completely embracing the future of transportation security.

/s

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

What would have been far funnier is if the TSA _did_ just process him as if clothed. No delay, no special attention, no fame. I think naked-man would be devastated his protest was ineffective. BTW, I support his position and the TSA reacted exactly as they do every other time this happens. He can now say “Thanks for playing”

24. Mrs. w/1 child says:

I think this story may be fake. Where have you ever seen white TSA employees, much less three of them?

25. Press1forDialTone says:

Now (he rubs his hands together), how about a flash mob of nude folks at
    LAX!