Someone Thought It Was Smart To Grow Marijuana Inside A Meijer Store

It’s quite a leafy news day, in terms of pot-related shenanigans going down. But in this case, the drugs weren’t being dealt online, but grown in a seemingly very public place — specifically, a nail salon located inside a Meijer store near Ann Arbor, Mich. Perhaps Mary Jane Manicures were on the list of services?

According to AnnArbor.com, cops seized more than 70 marijuana plants from the nail salon this morning. A Meijer employee apparently discovered the plants this morning while checking out a water leak in the store, which rents space from Meijer.

“When (store employees) were entering the area of the water leak, they saw what appeared to be a hydroponic water filter sitting outside of a closet,” said the deputy chief of police. Artificial lighting was also spotted nearby.

Cops say Meijer is cooperating in the investigation.

One Meijer customer said she had no clue about the pot hiding out, but that the nail salon had a low quality of work. Perhaps because they were focusing more on pruning plants than pushing around cuticles and applying polish?

*Thanks for the tip, J.M.! You’re a stellar human being.

More than 70 marijuana plants seized at nail salon inside Meijer near Ann Arbor [AnnArbor.com]

Comments

1. tomok97 says:

Meijer-auana?

2. Blueskylaw says:

A Meijer employee later commented that the store
    was trying to expand their organic selection of products.

3. GoSpursGo says:

70 plants is a very large amount. That’s definitely past the initial felony imprisonment level for cultivation. Would have required a lot of space, a lot of ventilation, a lot of equipment, and a lot of material to cover the smell. I like the ambition, but don’t do this if you have a landlord.

• Cat says:

70 plants is a very large amount.only when the plants are mature.

• GoSpursGo says:

Even in the initial stages, 70 different plants would take up a sizable area. And none of these sub-stores in Wal-Mart have huge setups.

• Alessar says:

That store’s a mile from where I live and the area was a big chunk of the upper balcon, which used to be an in-store McDonald’s, and then I think for a while it was a Curves exercise studio. It’s at least 4 of the typical in-store boutique locations.

• vorpalette says:

Good thing Meijer isn’t Wal-Mart, then.

• bluline says:

Whoever did it was smart enough not to grow it on their own property, which is subject to seizure if they are caught. That’s why so much pot is grown on federal land: if it’s discovered, there’s no one to arrest (unless they are on-site) and no property to seize.

• mikedt says:

the nail salon smell could cover up just about anything.

4. zigziggityzoo says:

One-stop shopping, indeed.

5. Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

Always Miejer Fresh :)

That is funny, happened not far from here.

6. blogger X says:

Of course, there were strung out on reefer!

• nicless says:

I think it was more “If you’re coming here for a mani-pedi, you aren’t our target customer”

7. Tacojelly says:

Can we just legalize it and stop with these shenanigans?

• eddison72 says:

Here here!

• HomerSimpson says:

Think of the chillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllldren!!!!

• LanMan04 says:

You means the ones who are dying from the Choking Game because they desperately want to get high in some way, shape, or form?

I know your comment was sarcastic, but pot prohibition drives me nuts.

“Hey kids, instead of giving you a completely and totally safe way to get high, we’re going to make it illegal so that you choke yourselves, huff Glade, drink booze, and a host of other damaging things!” Fucking idiots.

• Mark702 says:

* hear, hear!

• RvLeshrac says:

I’m going to pi… what? We’re not doing that any more? Nevermind, then.

8. brinks says:

The Meijers around here don’t have nail salons. If they did, I know some very straight men who’d be getting manicures there all the time.

9. technoreaper says:

How do you even get that stuff in and out of there? Wow.

• The Porkchop Express says:

most of the stuff would have been in boxes so they could have pretended that they were remodeling/getting new lighting.

the plants start off, if needed, as very small seeds. Even little seedlings can be transported in stuff other than flower pots.

10. Ayla says:

Hummm…I live in Mendocino county so, yeah, I’ve been around A LOT of indoor grows and I’m wondering how on earth did they control the smell? One indoor grow will make a whole neighborhood here smell like skunk during the flowering cycle. They need to sell whatever they were using to soak up the smell to folks up here! LOL

11. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Meijer is a regional supercentre type store – I had to Google it. Never heard of them.

• nicless says:

I moved out of Michigan to Texas and I miss Meijer so much that I make sure to visit the store at least 2 times when I’m up there visiting family. The only thing like it around where I live is Walmart and I refuse to do business with them.

• vorpalette says:

I refuse to move to a state that doesn’t have Meijer for this reason. We visited family in North Carolina last year and had to shop at Harris Teeter and it was awful. Meijer brand/Meijer organics ftw.

• psm321 says:

You mean “Meijer’s”, right? :)

12. Anna Kossua says:

Maybe the salon thought it was OK because Meijer is a Dutch spelling.

13. mulch says:

More of my taxpayers money wasted on a plant. Don’t we have more serious problems?

14. skitzogreg says:

Phonetic translation? Is it:

1) Mye – urr

2) May – hair

3) May – jare

4) Major

15. nekosaur says:

Except here in Michigan everyone calls it “Meijers” – even though the name of the store is Meijer. Of course, we tend to add an “s” to the end of every store here… “JCPenneys, Krogers, etc”
    Pure Michigans!

• cryptique says:

Also, a lot of people work at “Ford’s.”

I’ve lived in Michigan most of my life and I HATE this tendency among my fellow Michiganders. Not that there’s anything I can do about it.

• LanMan04 says:

Nah, not Michigan, just dumb rural people. Same in Central IL (everything has an s attached to it).

• failurate says:

It is a possessive “S” (JCPenney’s) and I would bet it is more an English language thing than a rural thing. The store belongs to JCPenney, so you would be going to JCPenney’s store. Similar to going to someone’s house, a person would say, “I am going to Chuck’s”, not “I am going to Chuck”.

• ovalseven says:

I do it because it was originally call Meijer’s Thrifty Acres, and I got used to just saying “Meijer’s”. It might be the case with others too.

16. nekosaur says:

Also just to expand on the story – Meijer typically has 1-3 of these merchants in each of their stores. They are found up near te cash registers and are wholly independent of the Meijer store. Most of the time it’s a hair salor, optometrist or bank. It’s a great way for Meijer to earn more income as rent as well as offer a location that is open 24 hours and sees very high traffic.
    Good cover by the nail salon – thy probably share water and power with the main store so there would not have been any obvious spikes in electric or water usage.

17. ovalseven says:

Brings new meaning to “Higher Standards. Lower Prices”.

18. Murph1908 says:

Their sale of snack foods is going to take a hit next quarter.