How Would You Like An IKEA HDTV For Your IKEA House Filled With IKEA Furniture?

If you can already go whole hog and buy an entire house from IKEA to fill up with your IKEA shelves and bed frames and pictures of sailboats, why not watch TV on a new IKEA HDTV? It’s built in to an IKEA TV unit, of course.

The new technological offering from the Swedish conveyors of lingonberries and meatballs comes complete with a funny name, the Uppleva, and has a built-in Blu-ray/DVD player with surround sound. All cables and wires are also stowed away inside the furniture it’s set in, says Engadget.

The whole kit and caboodle also incorporates USB inputs and HDMI ports for any additional wires you need to attach, FM radio and internet connectivity. Walking away with this hunk of Swedish innovation will cost around $960, but other details about the Uppleva are still vague.

Surely it’ll come in array of colors and configurations, and arrive with a confusing set of instructions for setting it up and will eventually just slowly fall apart after a few years of use, forcing you to make another trip to IKEA for a replacement.

IKEA puts away your TV cables, tech credentials [Engadget]

Comments

1. Cat says:

Uppleva? Sounds like a part of the human anatomy. Which reminds me of a little joke.

Knock knock!
    Who’s there?
    Babs’ Uppleva.
    Babs’ Uppleva who?
    I don’t know, Babs. But I do know this… your Uppleva is on the fritz.

2. Weighted Companion Cube says:

Are you sure you don’t have to put the TV together yourself?

• Cat says:

No, that wouldn’t be Ikea. You’re thinking of Heathkit.

• KyBash says:

My respect for you just went up 5,247% because you remember Heathkit.

• Velvet Jones says:

Hey, don’t laugh. My dad was a huge Healthkit nut back in the day. I remember getting their quarterly catalog in the mail. They use to sell complete build-it-yourself TV kits up until around 1982 or so. They were suppose to be fairly high end, as they were not cheap. I wonder if any of them are still around, or if anyone even bought one.

• jeffbone says:

There were some news reports floating around last summer that Heathkit was trying to make a comeback:

There doesn’t seem to be any further updates on the Heathkit site, though, and the list of kits is mostly along the lines of “We’re still developing them”.

3. ryan89 says:

Step 43,569: Solder transistor T167 to circuit board CB4.

4. axolotl says:

How the hell do you mount the LCD screen to the frame using a single allen wrench??

5. RavenWarrior says:

More than just some oak and some pine and a handful of Norsemen…

6. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

how many colors does it come in and are there colorful stickers i can apply?

• Skipweasel says:

Why are almost all tellies black? I resprayed our last one to a less intrusive dull silver, but haven’t got round to doing our current one – and it just looks ugly.

7. dicobalt says:

I didn’t know you could make TVs out of particle board!

8. gman863 says:

Does it come with a free Blu-Ray of ABBA’s greatest hits?

9. JMH says:

The video says it has integrated 2.1 audio, which is stereo with a subwoofer, not surround sound as the post says.

10. scoosdad says:

“has a built-in Blu-ray/DVD player”

Any TV I’ve ever encountered that had a built in tape or disc player any sort has been both of the following:

bad player
    bad TV set

11. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Can I get all of this in the town that IKEA is making/creating?

12. Yorick says:

Really wish people would stop making up stories about this nonexistant fake store. No one’s dumb enough to believe in a cheap-ass poorly-made “make it yourself” furnishings store. It’s the ridiculous meatballs thing that tells you it’s not real.

13. Mr.DuckSauce says:

Whenever I think of Ikea, I think of the scene in which the main character talks about his items in his apartment.

14. Anna Kossua says:

History of Finland, according to now-defunct Encyclopedia Dramatica:

1155: First crusade to Finland by Sweden
    1156: First IKEA opens in Finland
    (edited for niceness)

LOL, I crack on IKEA, but when I get homesick and/or when it snows, IKEA is the first place I go. Their food market is pretty good!

15. Insert nickname here. says:

I’m waiting for the partnership with Kia Motors and the flat-pack cars. IKIA!

16. taaurrus says:

But it never says how big the TV is!

17. gman863 says:

BTW, what will it be named?

EDIÕTBOKX?

18. transiit says:

Congratulations for the level of moral superiority. Yes, IKEA rocks the particle board flat-pack furniture. Guess you’re above that. Hey, remind your corporate overlords (Consumer Reports) that nobody gives a shit about seeing them suck up to certain brands every year. Happy trails.