Coldwater Creek Goes To Amazing Lengths To Get Discount For Tall Customer

Women’s clothing retailer Coldwater Creek didn’t have to do anything for Peri. She found a pair of pants that she liked in a retail store had the clerk order them in “tall” length for her. She couldn’t use the 40% off coupon she had brought for the special order, since it wasn’t considered an in-store purchase. Officially. She bought the pants anyway. Normally that would be the end of it, but then something really great happened. he sent a quick e-mail to the company, and received a response from corprorate…then a phone call from the manager of her local store, offering that 40% off retroactively. And a gift card.

I want to give a shout-out to Coldwater Creek for their awesome customer service.

I went into their local store to purchase some slacks with a 40% off coupon. The size I chose fit perfectly, except that I needed a Tall, and they do not carry them in the store, only the catalog.

When I spoke to the clerk, she stated she could order the Tall on the computer for me, and it would be shipped to my home without a shipping charge. That was great! However, the 40% off coupon was only for in-store purchases, so I would have to pay full price. That was not-so-great.

But I liked and wanted the pants, so I ordered them. When I went home I dropped an email to customer service, explaining my disappointment. As I have long legs, if I purchase pants, I can never take advantage then, of in-store discounts since they never carry the Talls in the store.

A day later I got an email from corporate expressing their apologies. Nothing else. I thought that was the end of it. But I was wrong!

A couple days later the manager of the local store that I’d shopped at called me. She was extremely apologetic; she said that never should have happened, that I should have been able to get the discount, and she was going to insure I did get it. She credited my Amex for the amount of the 40% discount ($32), and for my trouble, she was also sending me a $25 gift card! It arrived in the mail about a week later with a handwritten note apologising again for the situation.

Needless to say, I am extremely impressed and they have won a customer for life! So many companies could learn a lesson from Coldwater Creek. Kudos to them!!

Comments

1. caradrake says:

That is an example of really great customer service. :)

I’m glad more and more companies seem to be going that extra step to ensure customers will remain customers for life.

2. gargunkle says:

There seems to be some problem with gender pronouns (he/she) in this article. It sounds like a female but at one point you refer to the person as He.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Yeah. Somewhat threw me off. I’m guessing majority of the person’s a “she”? :D

I haven’t shopped much in Coldwater Creek, but good for them!

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

the beginning of the sentence “he sent a quick e-mail to the company, ” isn’t capitalized so it looks like “S” just got cut off

3. SpamFighterLoy says:

That is bona-fide Coldwater Creek. I have bought almost all my clothes from them over the past eight years or so, since I first discovered the catalog. The clothes are durable and well-made and the customer service is fabulous. Even at the outlet store, every customer is treated with courtesy.

4. HogwartsProfessor says:

Hmm, when I have money coming in again I’ll have to give them a try. I too am tall and have a hard time finding clothes. Chadwicks of Boston sells tall sizes too, but I dislike ordering from catalogs because I’m hard to fit. It’s such a hassle sending it back if it doesn’t fit. I need a suit though, so I might have to.

• Biblio Fiend says:

Eddie Bauer sells almost everything they make in a tall size through their website. The Gap brands also have very decent tall selections online. Finally, I’m loving a store called Long Tall Sally for professional clothes lately. They’re primarily online but twice a year they take their stores on the road and set up shop in a hotel ballroom near larger cities so you can actually go to try clothes on without the hassle of the website. They call them Pop Up Shops. Hope this helps – I’m 6’1 and also have a miserable time finding clothes in-store.

• Jane_Gage says:

I have a young, bitching body but I’ll dial up CC in thirty years when needed.

5. clementine says:

I didn’t realize that they had tall sizes. I will have to check them out – thanks Consumerist :)

6. TheSpatulaOfLove says:

It might be strange for a man to post about the virtues of Coldwater Creek, but I have to say I don’t waste my time going anywhere else anymore to buy clothes for my wife. Every time I go in, the sales staff is extremely patient, offer excellent advice and customer service, and the prices are great.

Keep up the great work, Coldwater Creek!

7. msbask says:

“They have won a customer for life”

(Translation: They have won a customer for life, or until they screw something up royally, whichever comes first.)

Sorry. Cynic.

8. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

Over top customer service is awesome.

9. Peri Duncan says:

I’m Peri and I’m a woman, although I do get lots of mail addressed to “Mister”. They keep confusing me with Perry Mason, I guess… :)

Price-wise they are a little expensive, so I usually wait for the discounts/sales or stick to the online outlet.