General Motors To Bury The Chevrolet Avalanche Pickup Truck

It’s time to say good-bye to any future iterations of the Chevrolet Avalanche pickup truck –¬†General Motors has announced that the 2013 version will be the last for the vehicle. Its design lends itself to not only towing and hauling, but families liked it for the interior seating, which fits five.

“More than 580,000 Avalanches have been sold since its introduction in 2001, and Avalanche has won major awards and recognitions throughout its run,” said Mark Clawson, Avalanche marketing manager, according to the L.A. Times.

As crew cabs have grown in trucks over the past few years, Avalanche sales have been sliding downward. Sales peaked at 93,000 in 2003 but last year reached only 20,000. It seems the Avalanche just couldn’t recover from recession levels, partly because of its high price of around $45,000 or more.

So snag one now if you’re an Avalanche devotee, otherwise keep an eye out for its lightly used brethren.

General Motors to kill Chevrolet Avalanche pickup truck [L.A. Times]

Comments

1. kobresia says:

Just like an El Camino, only with no soul. Good riddance.

• Jager says:

That makes me sad that you say that. I love El Caminos, but I hate these sissified trucks. And El Camino is a manlified car.

• kobresia says:

Just to clarify, I love El Caminos. They had soul. If GM had any sense, they’d bring them back like Subaru did with the Brat.

The Avalanche is just a douchemobile, especially with 22″ wheels installed.

• cash_da_pibble says:

*turns into a gearhead*
        WOO! ELKO’S!
        *fist pumps*

sorry. I’ve got a case of Chevy Pride, got it from my dad.

2. mrvw says:

I looked at one of these, but couldn’t get past the MPGs. I went with a crew cab truck and get about 3mpgs better and saved a little $

3. dolemite says:

Bigger and bigger. Despite car companies telling us no one wants a small or medium truck, I can’t help but think that’s false. Give us a small pu like the Ranger with a diesel engine that gets 35 mpg.

• MrEvil says:

The sales figures of full size pickups is telling you its false. Again, the Avalance is being discontinued due to strong sales of the Silverado/Sierra Crew Cab. The Ford Explorer Sport Trac was discontinued for similar reasons (not just because the Explorer moved to the Taurus platform). The F150 crew cab was selling like hotcakes compared to the Sport Trac and the F150 had the same fuel economy and a larger available bed.

4. TheMansfieldMauler says:

It seems the Avalanche just couldn’t recover from recession levels, partly because of its high price…

Really?

5. Power Imbalance says:

Such a stupid looking plastic truck anyway. I did like the interiors though.

Doesn’t matter much though because after owning 13 GM cars/trucks, I’ll never buy another buy another GM product.

6. Jack T Ripper says:

Just about f-ing time. That truck is a monstrosity. They are just about the ugliest thing on the road. I’d rate it up there with the Aztec and the Gremlin. Freaking horrible looking…

• wackydan says:

Buddy has had two. He loves them. Works for him. Not me.

• Carlos Spicy Weiner says:

When I first saw these things, I thought the same thing…who the hell designed this awkward FrankenTruck. It really has no purpose in a lineup that includes a Silverado 4 door pickup and Suburban.

• Mr Grey says:

The Gremlin is an awesomely ugly car. Its got a certain charm.

7. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

R.I.P., you ugly bastard. Bury it right next to the Pontiac Aztec.

8. cryptique says:

Good riddance to the “mullet truck.”

9. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I never understood these things. Either you want a truck or you don’t. What is the point of cutting the cargo area of a quad-cab truck in half?

• kobresia says:

Probably just so the crappy gimp pickup will seat the whole brood, have room for crap in the back, and still fit in a crappy patio home’s excessively short 3-car garage.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Hmmm…perhaps.

Fun fact: when I bought my first house (moving from Chicago area to Minneapolis area), I made a special trip in my truck to make sure it would fit in the garage.

It did. If I took the trailer hitch out of the receiver, and got the nose of the truck within a couple inches of the wall.

Sold! XD

• GearheadGeek says:

It’s not even that. It’s really more like cutting off the roof of a Tahoe and putting in a wall you can open.

Not a real truck, never was.

10. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

Shit slathered in plastic.

11. Bodger says:

This was one of the ugliest vehicles ever conceived and I don’t know how it lasted for even one year. It looks like the Aztek (also, thankfully, gone) mated with a badly-proportioned pickup and GM kept the ugliest of the litter and drowned the rest.

12. Buckus says:

Without the plastic siding, this actually looked half decent. With plastic siding, this looked like the second coming of Aztec…

13. pot_roast says:

This vehicle was like the Escalade – the only people buying it were old white men, and young black men would then put spiffy rims on it. Never ever saw a female owning one. Rarely ever saw a dirty one either.

14. pot_roast says:

15. JonBoy470 says:

The only advantage the Avalanche gives you over a regular full size crew cab truck is that you could fold down the “mid-gate”, close the tailgate, and still get an 8 foot bed… That was open to the cab. definitely constrained the utility, compared to a conventional pick-up. I imagine the feature wasn’t actually used much by owners, and the whole mid-gate contraption must be a nightmare from a manufacturing and warranty standpoint.

16. ronbo97 says:

Never understood the short bed pickup. As a pickup owner, anything shorter than a six foot bed is just stupid and nearly worthless.

• xspook says:

Not everyone needs to haul sheets of plywood or 6′ long 2×4’s. I drive a Sport Trac and it does everything I need it to.

• Carlos Spicy Weiner says:

I’m with you. A buddy of mine’s boss bought him an F-150 4 door as a service truck. It had the 5″ bed and he absolutely HATED it. Maybe OK to haul small stuff around, but if you want a truck to be a truck, you’re going to run into problems on a regular basis. Thank god for those “bed extender” tailgate cages. If a bed shorter than 6′ is OK, I would think a Tahoe type vehicle would be the choice.

• TheWraithL98 says:

That’s the beauty of the avalanche though – you only have a bed between 4 and 5 feet long, but if you fold down the rear seats and open the “mid gate” you have a 4′ x 8′ bed to fit lumber, drywall and plywood. It was a great idea, but the execution left a lot to be desired. The first generation was ugly as hell and the second generation was $8,000+ more than a comparably equipped crew cab Silverado pickup truck.

17. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

They’re dumping the plastic toy truck? I always thought this thing should say ‘Tonka’ on the side, but then again, Tonka trucks were much better made than these things.

18. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

The Chevy Avalanche: A Pontiac Aztek in truck form.

19. tbax929 says:

I’m surprised by this. I guess that’s part of living in southern AZ. I thought they must be selling well because they are EVERYWHERE down here. There are also a lot of the one that Honda makes that’s similar.

I drive a very small coupe, and I can’t help but notice how many people down here drive big trucks. I never understood it.

20. B2BigAl says:

The first gen avalanche was an ugly SOB, but I really like the newer ones. The pearlescent white with the 20″ wheels, thats a sharp looking ride. I almost bought one, but for the price I got a Tahoe instead.

21. scoosdad says:

When I saw the headline and the pic I thought of this:

Cadillac Ranch

22. shthar says:

these monsters are what’s wrong with this world.

23. LanMan04 says:

That thing is as ugly as sin. Good riddance!

24. Shorebreak says:

It seems like it only sold well in Texas. Along with Hummers, Ford Expeditions and Pontiac Aztecs.

25. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

And not a tear was shed.

26. aaron8301 says:

And not a single fuck was given.

27. mcshaggin says:

What will I put my rims on now?

28. SilentAgenger says:

I remember when these first hit the market with the heavily-touted “switch” feature of being the only truck that could turn into an SUV, but I’ve never seen a single Avalanche in SUV mode except one time at a dealership (and it looked kinda odd, like some sort of mutant SUV…perhaps that’s why its owners preferred to keep it in pickup mode).

• Costner says:

I’m not sure you are thinking about the same vehicle. 98% of the time Avalanches on the road are in “SUV Mode” with the midgate up and the back seats upright for passengers. In “Truck Mode” the rear window is removed, the seats folded down and the midgate flipped down which allows larger/longer items to be hauled. This leaves the passenger cabin exposed to the outside air meaning it is a worthless concept during anything other than a warm, sunny, dry, day.

Unless you saw one that had an optional topper accessory designed to cover the bed. However that is much like a truck topper and just covers what is being hauled – there are no seats back there.

Either way everything behind the c-pillar (that ugly triange part that connects the rear window with the bed) is always a truck. It does come with a folding cover that can cover the bed, but it is still a truck bed. So the there are only two rows of seats – and if the midgate is folded down there are only two seats.

Sort of a stupid idea, and a four door crewcab pickup offers more cargo area and more passneger area (at the same time), so I have no idea why the Avalanche even exists. I’m only surprised it lasted as long as it did.

• flychinook says:

You’re thinking of the GMC Envoy EXT… an SUV with a retractable roof panel over the cargo area to haul tall items (why one couldn’t simply lay the item down lengthwise, I’ll never know)

29. neilb says:

The poor man’s Cadillac EXT (same vehicle, different badge) comes to and end.
    So don’t worry, yall. You can still get the Avalanche, it will just cost a lot more money. They will keep making them, apparently.

• Costner says:

I would be willing to bet they will cancel the EXT as well…. they just haven’t said anything yet. Both trucks are built in the same plant and if they only sell 20k Avalanches they probably only sell a few thousand EXTs.

Besides I believe I recall an article about a new Escalade coming out in 2014. So it would make sense to totally revamp the Escalade lineup at that time.