How I Was Overcharged $23.42 For Gas At The Circle K

The problem seemed easy enough to solve. SMM asked a Circle K cashier to pre-pay $20 on a gas pump using his credit card. Only the pump didn’t stop at $20 like it should have: it kept going until it reached $23.42. No big deal: SMM headed back in the store to pay the extra three and a half bucks. That’s when he learned that somehow, the first $20 he paid didn’t count.

I went to the Circle K on [redacted] in [redacted] I ask the cashier to charge my card to pre-pay $20.00 at the pump. He does, and I gather my receipt and head out to fill up. As I watch the car fill up I notice that the pump doesn’t stop at $20.00 like it should, and is going over. I stopped the pump and the total came out to $23.42. So I head back inside to tell the attendant that I needed to pay an extra $3.42. However, when I tell him what happened he looks at me and says that I have to pay the whole thing.

2342.jpg

Umm, what?

He says he is not sure why the pump went over and says that I have to pay the entire amount and there is no way around it. So I explain to him that I do not want to pay for $43.42 when I am only receiving $23.42 of gasoline and that he needs to contact the manager to help resolve this issue. After he contacts his supervisor, he goes out to check that it is in fact at $23.42 and then calls the supervisor again. I ask if there is a way to only pay the $3.42 or at least get the entire amount of gasoline that they want me to pay for. The supervisor says no, this is not an option and that they will have to go through all the transactions to verify that I only received $23.43 worth of gasoline.

“In the meantime, write your name and number and if they determine an error has been made then they will refund you.”

So basically they want me to pay over the amount that I received and just “wait” for someone with more authority to determine if the attendant or the pump made an error, which the cashier already admitted. I wanted to walk out and leave but I figured that I can’t leave without paying the $3 and some change or it would be considered theft. I really wish I would have had the cash on me and just dropped what I owed and walked out, but after over half an hour of arguing with the attendant I gathered all my receipts, names and numbers of the managers, and took some photos. I contacted my credit card company and told them the situation, however as the charged were pending I have to wait before I can open a dispute.

I’m angry at how the entire situation was handled. The original explanation of how I had to just pay with no mention of a refund, the admission of an error, and the lack of ability to be able to charge me what I owed rather than an additional $20.00 just ruined my day and I now have to watch my card and potentially open a dispute.

Is it normal or even legal for a company to overcharge in that manner when an admitted error was made?

Obviously the error was the cashier’s–not entering the $20 charge correctly, but not wanting it to look like SMM fled from the pump. But should the store or the customer have to cover the $20 while waiting for someone with actual authority to sort this out?

Update: The manager intervened and straightened things out.

I was surprised to see my story on Consumerist today! It has a good ending – I called the manager the next day (the attendant had been speaking to the assistant manager on the phone) and she was very apologetic and agreed that it was not the correct procedure. She contacted corporate and assured me that they would not process the extra $20 charge. I have since checked my credit card account and only the $23.42 was charged. I was more livid with the attendant and the lack of explanation when I was first charged, but I was satisfied with the result and the manager was great.

Comments

1. oldwiz65 says:

I would contact your state’s consumer protection people. The police have better things to do, after all it’s a civil matter.

• Lyn Torden says:

Actually, no it is not just a civil matter. It can be a civil matter if you and they both choose it to be. But THIS CAN be a criminal matter if the money is taken from you against your will. Paying for what you receive is expected. Forcing you to pay more that what you receive against your will IS criminal. If they physically force this, call the police because a crime has been committed. If they did not physically force you do, then let them call the police if they want to.

If you give them the extra $20 and then they don’t want to return it, that is civil. If they grab the $20 from you, then that is criminal (though if you owed them $20 that’s different).

• Crackpot says:

Sorry, but this is incorrect. You entered into a civil contract by purchasing something. The contract terms are spelled out in your credit card agreement, which is why most purchase receipts state something similar to “I agree to honor the credit card or merchant agreement,” etc. Some fuel pumps even have signs printed on them to the same effect. If something paid for is not delivered, you may file a chargeback with your credit card company or handle the matter yourself in small claims (or normal) court. In both cases, it is a civil matter, not a criminal one.

That said…

If someone intentionally charges you (credit card or not) for a product or service that they have no intention of honoring, that is fraud, which is a criminal matter. If someone steals your card and uses it without your knowledge or consent, it is theft and/or credit card fraud, which is a criminal matter. However, if a merchant with whom you already have a business relationship with charges your card for something you haven’t authorized, or charges you for a different amount than expected or authorized, it’s back to being classified a civil matter as a “merchant dispute”, not fraud.

You can think this is still fraud all you want, but you will remain both mistaken and ignorant of reality in this regard. Don’t believe me? Call your credit card company and tell them you did business with someone who is charging you too much. Ask them if it’s fraud or a merchant dispute. Be enlightened.

In the meantime, stop giving out bad advice. Telling someone to leave the scene when there is a charge dispute sets them up for theft charges. THAT is criminal. If there’s a dispute, pay what you need to or call the police if you can’t/won’t to ensure no one thinks you’re trying to skip out on paying. If you can’t or won’t do either, use your cell phone to record yourself stating that you’ve already signed a receipt for $20, and you will only pay the difference which is $3.42.

All of THAT said, I see a potential discrepancy in the story, leading me to believe that it might actually be the OP’s misunderstanding.

What was the OP actually being asked to *sign*? If they signed for $20 and then again for $23.42, that’s a total of $43.42. But if they *authorized* $20 and then *signed* for $23.42, THE ONLY THING THEY WERE CHARGED WAS $23.42.

This is an important distinction, kids. Many folks don’t understand how credit cards actually work. In many cases (gas stations, car rentals, hotels, restaurants, etc.), the amount you initially “authorize” and the amount that “posts” are two different things. An “authorization” is merely the merchant contacting your bank and asking them if the account is valid and at least $X funds exist, thereby “authorizing” the account for use. The “posted” transaction is the final amount that is “posted” to the merchant’s merchant account. It is quite common for a merchant to authorize one amount but post another. For example: when you get the bill for dinner and hand them your card, they go authorize it and bring you a receipt, which includes the ability to add a tip. When you sign that receipt, they will then submit the transaction to post at the close of their business day (or perhaps at midnight, if they stay open late), for whatever the total was, tip included. You only signed once, but an action involving the card happened twice.

So, OP, what was it? Did you sign one piece of paper or two? If two, the Circle K screwed up. If only one, you just didn’t understand how credit cards work.

• BBBB says:

I had a similar situation at a hotel that was charging me for things I hadn’t agree to (and were not disclosed in the terms of the reservation) – and the manager wasn’t available at check-out time. I indicated the disputed amount and reason above the signature line and signed it. I was told that the complaint would be given to the manager. Of course, no response to the complaint. I disputed it with the credit card and was credited – either the hotel never responded to the dispute or the dispute on the receipt worked.

• alana0j says:

I would have called the non-emergency number for the police before paying any extra OR leaving. Document the information on the pump with my smartphone and show both the pump information and the receipt for payment to the office. I’m thinking that possibly the attendant put the $20 on the incorrect pump, but either way the OP should not have had to pay the full $23 and change after already being charged $20. That’s just unacceptable.

2. deathbecomesme says:

I would have left the $3 on the counter and left my contact info for the manager to get in contact with me directly and only after seeing that my previous charge was cancelled would I have let them run my CC again.

• [censored] says:

Would you still have done that if you didnt have cash on you? Like the guy in the story?

• castlecraver says:

It’s possible that the extra $3 isn’t even necessary if you leave full contact information. In some places, without intent to deprive or deceive it becomes a civil contract dispute and the cops will not get involved.

3. axiomatic says:

Leave the $3.42 on the counter and leave. If the gas station calls the cops, its on them and not you.

• Lyn Torden says:

Get receipts in case they actually do call the police.

• Difdi says:

And then go to jail for counterfeiting the $3.42? Reading comprehension is apparently a skill you lack.

(hint: you can’t pay $3.42 in cash if you don’t HAVE $3.42 in cash).

4. Hi_Hello says:

Does circle K have an ATM ?

• Cat says:

I know what you’re thinking, and nice try. But the ATM would probably cost $3 to get a $20 bill.

• longfeltwant says:

Yeah, but then your credit union or USAA refunds the fee to you… right? Mine does (USAA).

Srsly, I can understand why some people like to use only a card and no cash, but I like cash, and this is a good reason why. No freaking way I would have let the guy charge me 23 more dollars!

5. Mike says:

Chargeback, assuming he used a credit card. He paid for something and didn ‘t get it. If they persist in pursuing the $20 he can file a fraud complaint with weights and measures or the state AG or whoever monitors gas stations.

I want to know what really happened. Did the attendant volunteer at the outset that he would have to pay the whole thing, or did he just print out a charge slip to sign, and the OP noticed it had the whole amount, and then the attendant told him he had to pay the whole amount? Gas stations have been pulling scams like this since I was a kid.

• GaijenSoft says:

“Chargeback, assuming he used a credit card.”

Did you read the full article by any chance?

Relevant quote: “I contacted my credit card company and told them the situation, however as the charged were pending I have to wait before I can open a dispute.”

6. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

It is unclear. Does the OP have a charge of $23.42, $43.42, or both pending on his credit card?

I have never heard of someone pre-paying inside the store with a credit card, usually pre-pay is with cash.

• Captain Spock says:

You most certainly can pre-pay inside. Perhaps he purchased other things, and just wanted one charge, rather than pay inside for his Ho-Ho’s and DingDongs and then pay at the pump?

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

If he paid for gas only, or paid for other items as well, he would have a receipt. If it was gas only then why pre-pay inside with a credit card? Just swipe it at the pump. In any case you should get receipt for pre-payments.

We can make as many assumptions and guesses as we want but the story is still very unclear.

• SissyOPinion says:

He mentions having a receipt in the first paragraph of his account but doesn’t mention it again.

• LightningUsagi says:

I just reread, and it sounds like he got a receipt for the first transaction but the manager was not physically at the store to see it. It seems like the communication between the attendant and manager was done over the phone.

• LightningUsagi says:

I sometimes prepay inside if I am running low on funds and need to make sure I only pump a certain amount. I’ve also found out that certain gas stations won’t let you use your card at the pump if you have under $50 available.

• silvrwoman says:

Some places take credit card inside but not at the pump, but they make you prepay before using the pump. So, you either give them your credit card and say “put $20 on pump ____” or “Here’s my credit car, I’m filling up, and I’ll sign for it and take my credit card back when I’m done”

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I wish the location wasn’t redacted – it is important to the story as many cities and states have different procedures. In my city pre-payment is the law. You cannot pump without paying cash or swiping your debit or credit card at the pump.

• Sarek says:

I just did that last night. For some reason, after I swiped my card at the pump, it said “swipe disallowed, see attendant.” I had to go inside, then guess how much gas I needed. I said $25, so they put that on my charge card. I needed only $19 – pump said “get change inside” (!), so I had to go back inside, and they issued a refund of $6 on my card.

• Blueskylaw says:

That’s strange. Here in Connect-i-cut, i’ll tell them to allow up to an $80 charge and if I only pump $68.59 then that’s all that’s charged with no need to get change.

• Anne Noise says:

I pre-pay inside all the time, I live in Colorado, and during the winter when it’s negative ten at night and I need gas, I’d rather huddle inside while paying than stand at the pump.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

OK, but don’t you get a receipt?

• homehome says:

Gas stations in my area only give you the receipt for the amount you bought and if they held say $20 over than whta you got then you will only get a receipt for the amount you got and not the amount that is held.

• Timbojones says:

I think it would take longer for me to walk across the lot from my car to the door and back than it would to run my card at the pump, especially since I interleave the tasks of preparing the car to receive fuel and working the credit card machine.

• badachie says:

Often, when you pay at the pump, a hold is placed on your card for more than the amount you charge. If you pay inside, no hold happens and only the amount you pre-pay for will be charged.

• excaza says:

I’m confused as well, that aspect of the story isn’t communicated very well. I think he’s got both charges pending on his card.

• The Porkchop Express says:

he may not trust paying at the pump. I’ve had my card skimmed before and I’m pretty sure I know where (there are two gas stations it could have been out of the 3 or 4 I use normally) at those two I only pay inside now because I don’t trust that they watch the pumps or check them for tampering.

7. neekap says:

Wait, he paid with his credit card. I’d guess that this station is like 98% of the other gas stations in this country and offer pay-at-the-pump, so why wouldn’t he have just done that in the first place??

• Murph1908 says:

??

Orrrrr, it could be one of the 2%?

• neekap says:

I guess we’ll never know since I can’t seem to find the Circle K on redacted in redacted.

I’ll join the mob by saying that he should have refined his own gas at home.

• castlecraver says:

Because usually the only way to buy a set amount (with the expectation that the pump will cut off as soon as the corresponding amount of gas is dispensed) is to prepay inside. He wanted to buy $20.00 of gas. Not $20.03. A big deal? Not to me and probably not to most people, but maybe he just likes nice round numbers on his statement? Maybe he’s up against his credit limit? Who knows, who cares? Gas stations offer prepayment, and that’s how OP wants to do it. ’nuff said.

• Scoobatz says:

Way to stick with the issue. Well done.

• neekap says:

I’ve never pre-paid that way so it was ignorance on my part, but thanks to other replies to my post it makes sense to me now. Thanks for adding no value and just a snarky comment.

OP should request a chargeback for the $20 on his credit card once the charge is posted (assuming it ever moves out of pending) and call it a day. It’s not like a refund issued by the station would post to his account nearly as fast as the charge would anyway.

• Scoobatz says:

Yes, it was snarky. Here’s the thing. It’s completely irrelevant to this issue that you’ve never pre-paid before. Your initial comment contributed absolutely nothing in helping the OP resolve his problem (not yours). If you want to learn how to gas stations work, try a search on Google.

In the future, let’s not question why the OP did or didn’t do anything. It really doesn’t get us any further in finding a solution.

• Anne Noise says:

Or the option wasn’t available? All this random hate for “omg why didn’t he do OPTION TWO when it was clearly available, DUH.”

• Liam Kinkaid says:

A prepay inside authorizes the card for the exact amount. A swipe at the pump authorizes the card for a larger amount, because the pump doesn’t know before hand how much you’re going to buy. If he’s near his credit limit, the card would be declined if it hit the limit with the preauthorization.

8. DanKelley98 says:

Yep. I would have left the difference on the counter and left. Anything else in insanity.

• George4478 says:

No you wouldn’t….

>>I really wish I would have had the cash on me and just dropped what I owed and walked out

since you didn’t have $4 in cash.

• Auron says:

reading fail. Seems to be an issue with this post.

9. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Its better to prepay in most cases. That way you’re only charged what you pay. At most stations when I use a credit card at the pump an additional $100 is frozen until the transaction clears. This doesn’t happen when I pay a set amount at the counter.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

But don’t you get receipt when you prepay inside?

• Firethorn says:

It says he did. ‘He does, and I gather my receipt and head out to fill up.’

I’d dispute the charge, quite probably IN THE STORE. Make doing the double charge not worth it to the business. Charge disputes cost them money.

• badachie says:

According to the story, he “gathered all his receipts.” I’m assuming this means the one from the first transaction as well. It appears as if his receipt made no difference to the cashier.

10. liam_cos says:

I would tell him to eat the three dollars if he couldn’t ring it up alone.

11. AEN says:

The guy at the counter obiously credited the $20 to a different pump.

• j2.718ff says:

This sounds like a plausible explanation. Check your pre-payment receipt, and the later payment. Do they both indicate the same pump number?

• stevenpdx says:

But the OP got $23.42 of gas into his own tank, so no, I don’t think that was the problem.

• Kestris says:

If the pump was prepaid, it would have stopped at 20.00. The pump was NOT prepaid, so it didn’t stop. Hence, the cashier prepaid the wrong pump and is refusing to admit it.

• Difdi says:

Most likely true, but even if it was, that’s not the OP’s problem. He owes them $3.42, not $23.42, because they already charged him $20.

12. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

I didn’t even think you could prepay with a credit card. Since so much detail is lacking, I wonder if maybe SMM misunderstood; their card was never run the first time, and the clerk wanted to just run it for the full amount of $23.42. They say “all their receipts” without specifying the amounts, and they don’t mention the charges showing up on their account. My pending charges show up pretty quickly.

13. failurate says:

Where’s the receipt for the first charge?

• failurate says:

Okay, so he says he got a receipt for the first charge… that receipt + $3 and change… and he is good to go.

14. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Call your state’s department of weights and measures and lodge a complaint there. They do not put up with gas pumps giving incorrect info. It will cost the store more than the $20 they scammed from you to deal with the complaint.

15. necrosis says:

I understand there is a deeper problem here but my mind can not get past wondering why the OP did not pay at the pump with his card. Did he go back in time ~20 years?

16. necrosis says:

• MomToARedhead says:

There are 3 gas stations within 1 mile of my house that don’t have pay at the pump. Seriously. I didn’t know places like that still existed until I moved here.

17. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

18. Blueskylaw says:

Didn’t Custer make his last stand at the Circle K?

19. KristoferB says:

I pre-pay inside with my card all of time. I’ll grab an iced tea and a pack of cigarettes and tell them to put $10 or $20 on whatever pump number I’m on and I use my card for the whole thing in one transaction. I don’t pay at the pump anymore because of the holds they put on the card when paying that way to buy gas, they don’t do it when you pay inside for whatever reason. Around here the gas stations charge you $75 or $100 over what you bought and you have to wait 3-4 days or longer before the funds are released back to you before you have access to your own money again.

• CalicoGal says:

Stop smoking! That stuff will kill ya!

• Slader says:

See, this is the problem, people don’t know how to mind their own damn business. They think they have to tell everyone else how to live their lives. If the person is an adult, then it is his/her business if he/ she smokes. So just STFU.

• TRRosen says:

stop using your card as a debit card at gas stations always run it as a credit card to avoid the hold.

20. balderdashed says:

You weren’t “overcharged” — you overpaid. You agreed to purchase $20.00 worth of gasoline, and you presumably have your receipt as proof of payment. It would have in fact been generous of you to even agree to pay the extra $3.42, as the additional product was apparently provided without your consent. But to offer anything more than an extra $3.42 is simply crazy.

• GaijenSoft says:

Correct. He had a reasonable expectation that the pump would shut off at $20. It did not, and he noticed it pretty quickly, lessening the potential damages to the company.

However, I personally would still pay the difference. However, with the situation where I prepaid $20 of the $23, and they told me my payment of $20 didn’t count and to leave my number for a supervisor to contact me to MAYBE get a refund for the $20… I would do the opposite. I would leave a piece of paper with MY contact information, and a note letting them know that they can contact me receive the $3 when they fix their mistake in the system.

Consumers are not responsible for business mistakes.

21. rrbrown3 says:

In some places, if you pay at the pump with a credit card, there is a large hold placed on the account. For example, where I live, when you pay at the pump with a credit card, there is a mandatory $65 hold placed on the card, some places there is only a $1 hold just to verify the card is legit, it varies by locality. If I were to go inside and say I want to prepay X amount on pump Y, then I can get around having to deal with the hold generated by using pay at the pump. The OP maybe lived in an area like this, knew he only had $50 of available credit, so he asked for a $20 pre-pay, as he would have been declined if he tried to pay at the pump otherwise.

22. weezedog says:

I like the “strange things are afoot” tag in reference to the line “strange things are afoot at the Circle K” from Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. That what I always think of when I hear Circle K.

23. framitz says:

I would have called the police, it seems the cashier was is thief.

24. Lyn Torden says:

If the attendant rang up and charged for $20 for the initial amount, then he can just ring up and charge for $3.42. He was just giving SMM and BS excuse, and that should have been told to that attendant very clearly and loudly in an unabbreviated form.

If SMM did have cash, this might still not be a good thing, because he’d have to get a receipt to “CYA” in case the attendant calls police to chase him down on the highway by plate number.

And yes, I would call the police despite some claims that this is a civil matter. It’s NOT if a failure to pay would make it a criminal matter. That makes the dispute of it a criminal matter, too. So yeah, if the attendant won’t work it out, do call the police. When they get there, tell them that you know it is a criminal matter to leave without paying for gasoline, and that this attendant is keeping you here against your will by refusing to accept the correct payment and that you want to resolve the matter with having to file criminal charges against the attendant.

25. esc27 says:

Another reason to avoid pre-paying. I’d much rather deal with holds (which are usually short lived and not a problem for a well managed credit card with a decent limit…) than trust the station to charge my car correctly or have to make a second trip inside just to get a refund.

• CalicoGal says:

Or if you do not wish to leave your vehicle unattended, like if your kids or dog or many diamonds are in it.

26. eeelaine says:

Looks like we got a stumper. No one seems to have any useful advice, other than to not ever prepay inside with a credit card…

27. Kestris says:

The cashier set the prepay incorrectly, most likely to a different pump, which means someone else may have gotten free 20.00 worth of gas.

However, if it’s the SAME cashier that rang the OP up the first time, I find it hard to believe that the original receipt would not be honored. It’s simple to say, oh I set it for the incorrect pump and cancel that prepay, which cancels the original transaction and allows the OP to pay exactly 23.42, not 43.42 that the cashier and manager are trying to get.

Basicly, the cashier screwed up, and is refusing to take responsibility.

• ahnkadragon says:

I was wondering if the clerk pre-payed the wrong pump too(or was told wrong pump #)! I’ve worked at a gas station and I have done this. Thankfully I caught the mistake and corrected it before it became a problem. If it isn’t caught though, the next person on that pump goes, “Yippee! Free gas!” and fills up.

Had a lady pre-pay some gas once, ditz out and drive off before filling up. Before she remembered another customer had filled up on her dime. She wanted her $ back or her gas but we had to refuse her request.

28. dush says:

Why didn’t the supervisor not honor the receipt that he had from just a few minutes ago?

29. Abradax says:

I’m a technical trainer for a large convenience store chain.
    If their systems are similar to ours, what happens is that the prepay actually fell out of the system. You weren’t charged the original 20 dollars, there is only a hold on your card for said 20 dollars.
    When you lifted the handle to begin fueling, the pump called into the store and the store rep authorized it and allowed you to start fueling as if you were a new customer just coming up to the pump.

The problem lies in that even though you haven’t been charged, there is an authorization for the original 20 dollars on your card, that will not fall off immediately, that is based on how your bank handles those type of authorizations but is usually in the 24 hour range.

The clerk was right in saying that you technically owed 23.42, however good customer service should have prevailed and you should have only been charged the original 20 dollars that you agreed to but had not been charged for. The remainder should have been eaten by the station due to their technical error.

• elangomatt says:

If the “prepay actually fell out of the system” as you say, would the gas station even be able to get that $20 that the pre-autorization system put a hold on? It sounds to me like the $20 transaction was started (hence the hold) but not finished so the transaction was cancelled but the hold could stick around for a day or two.

• Abradax says:

The authorization happens at the time of the “sale”.
        The server that controls the store and/or credit for the store loses the information about the sale. So according to the bank, the authorization happened. According to the station, it didn’t.

Since it is no longer in the station’s system, the station can’t finalize the sale by sending the appropriate information to the bank, so the bank will remove the authorization based on their schedule for doing so.

• elangomatt says:

Right, I understand what you are saying, but I am thinking is that the station would probably just be out the full $23 sale unless the customer agrees to pay $20 a second time. In the customer’s eyes then, they paid $40 for $23 worth of gas until the hold clears.

• Abradax says:

There are ways to recoup the 20 dollars if they have a competent credit and IT department. But it is WAY more of a hassle than having the customer rightfully pay for something he got. :)

30. shepd says:

Sue them in small claims, and request treble damages, and court costs.

When the judge hears how ridiculous the gas station is being, I’m sure you’ll end up with a tidy profit and they will learn to never, ever do that again. If anything, the manager, the supervisor, and that employee will all get paid to be in court for the day. The owner of the gas station will be pissed at that cost alone, never mind the fact the owner will have to spend the day there since his manager, supervisor, and employee are all missing.

31. pythonspam says:

If the customer pre-paid $20, was it ran as a pre-authorization or a purchase?

32. Chiclet says:

This is why I always overestimate when prepaying with a credit card, which I do sometimes at Stop and Shop when I don’t have my rewards card to scan. If I think it’s going to be $20, I ask them for $30 and get the refund. Hopefully the OP gets is money refunded soon.

33. Press1forDialTone says:

Why would anyone buy gas or anything else at those
    creepy (who knows where the gas comes from or how many
    felonies the staff have all together) Circle [whatever] stores.

Stick with name-brand gas, Citgo, Phillips, Marathon, BP Amoco (well
    maybe not for a while yet still), Shell (with Platformate!) etc. I found they
    keep a better eye on the folks in the stores, after all they can because of
    all the windfall profits.

34. Boehme417 says:

The only hold I ever have from a gas station is $1. Weird. I never get holds for $100 or whatever.

I recall one instance where I had to go inside to prepay. The card reader at the pump was broken. The attendant asked how much, and I said, “I don’t know… however much it is to fill up.” We went back and forth, because he kept telling me I could only get the difference back in cash. I got so annoyed that I left and went across the street to get gas.

35. GOInsanity says:

Am I the only one bothered that the headline says he was overcharged by $23.42? I’m sorry, but he got $23.42 worth of gas, so he was only overcharged for $20.

Also, I’m going to blame the OP a little here. I know the gas pump has the little clip so you can just set it to fill and walk away, but that is the stupidest thing to do. All it takes is a slip up like the cashier made and the shut off not working, and suddenly there is gas overflowing your tank and getting everywhere.

36. impatientgirl says:

This should never have been posted. It was resolved and honestly, mistakes happen. If the prepaid $20 had been done correctly it wouldnt have gone over. OP needs to have a modicum of patience.

37. Insert nickname here. says:

The minimum-wage cashier made a mistake and then ineptly and stupidly tried to save face, compounding the issue. That’s what you get when you constantly dumb-down jobs.