Productivity Killers To Identify And Remove

Workplace distractions can siphon away your attention, forcing you to lose office stature along with your focus. In order to operate at top speed and efficiency, you’ve got to sniff out obstructions that slow you down and make it difficult to work.

Lifehack.org points you in the direction of productivity sappers to hunt down and eliminate:

* Kids. If you’re a parent who works at home while kids are afoot, it’s all but impossible to work like a grown-up. Consider re-arranging your hours or finding childcare.

* Noise. TV, and in some cases, music, can become a crutch that provides a convenient excuse to shift your focus away from the task at hand. Try shutting off the noise to see how your work is affected.

* Food. When you’re fumbling with food, your hands and senses are concerned with something other than the bottom line. Keep food out of easy reach and use a snacking opportunity to motivate you to get things done.

Productivity Hacks: 8 Things That Are Hurting Your Productivity [Lifehack.org]

Comments

1. foodfeed says:

I wonder if I can get the idiots in HR to quit having private cell phone conversations right next to my desk. I didn’t need to hear about that St. Pattys day threesome where you threw up on some guy.

• Misha says:

Dunno where you work, but where I am, that would be reportable under our sexual harassment rules.

• Misha says:

To clarify: I mean that what would be reportable would be them having such a conversation loudly enough for other employees to hear.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I’m glad you cleared that up, because I thought you meant the threesome/vomiting was against your job’s HR policies.

• samonela says:

I might be interested in the video though…

• crazydavythe1st says:

You should file a complaint with HR ;)

• Yomiko says:

I worked near a serial loud-personal-cell-convo person at a previous job. After about a month, I printed out an anonymous note and left it on his desk. Something to the effect of “omg, we don’t care how your kid did at little league, STFU!”

Then I got to listen to him complain (loudly) to his neighbor about “Who the heck left this note? Why didn’t they say something to my face?” and then more loud personal cell phone convos.

2. Cat says:

“Three Of Eight Productivity Killers To Identify And Remove”

• SavijMuhdrox says:

Please click on link for the remaining four.. with the mysterious 8th actually BEING the link itself.

3. Cooneymike says:

Item 5. Quit checking Consumerist three times a day.

4. Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Phil strikes again!

5. frenchman says:

I feel like the last thing Consumerist wants to do is make people aware of their productivity…

6. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

The PhiLsumerist Times !

7. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:
  8. Invader Zim says:

How about reading articles like this?

9. Cat says:

Productivity Killers To Identify And Remove

Phil Villarreal

10. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

* Kids – check. I’ll make sure to forward this to my boss, as she has no problem letting one of my coworkers bring her special needs (read hyperactive) offspring to the office when she has to take him for an appointment somewhere, and can’t return him to school because it’s too late for that and she doesn’t have a sitter until quitting time. Let’s just say he’s distracting. And I feel for her, as I wouldn’t want to watch him for more than 10 minutes – he makes me tired!

* Noise – check. Can’t eliminate this one, either, as there are several people in the office who have no concept of “indoor voices”. And one of them is the boss’s friend, so that idea is out the window.

* Food – check. No lunch room, and no place to eat outside, except one picnic table that the smoker’s use. The best I can do is put my phone on DND and hope that people leave me alone at my desk for 30 minutes.

So, next article please!

• Baelzar says:

Earplugs. Get them, and let people know you wear them.

You can still hear YOUR phone when it rings, but not the rest.

• PercussionQueen7 says:

I attempted to use headphones during the workday when I had some of these issues… my boss said no because of ONE TIME he was trying to get my attention and I didn’t immediately jump. And I love kids, but a workplace isn’t appropriate for them.

11. quirkyrachel says:

Productivity killer….wait, you mean like reading this blog?

12. KyBash says:

I learned years ago that I can get more done between midnight and 4 a.m. than most people can do in a ten hour day, and I’m a lazy sort.

Television or radio has to be on because it masks outside noises and is easy to mentally tune out. If I realize I’m hearing it, I know my concentration has slipped, and it’s time for a break.

13. NumberSix says:

Reading blogs all day…

14. Moweropolis says:

“Get a peaceful computer. Don‚Äôt we all want a Mac? So get it.”

So having a WindowsLinux PC is a productiviy killer?

15. Thorzdad says:

“…In order to operate at top speed and efficiency…”

Speed ≠ efficiency