How To Save Your Instagram Photos Before You Delete Your Account

If you’re miffed that Facebook has flung its billions around to engulf Instagram, you may want to take your photos and run.

Mashable explains how to delete your account while keeping your pictures intact, suggesting services Instaport, Copygram, and SocialFolders offer ways to back up your digital photo rolls.

After completing the chore, you can log on to Instagram’s account deletion page and have at it.

Deleting Your Instagram Account? Here’s How to Save Your Pics [Mashable]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

How is it that I never heard of this site until it hit the news that Facebook bought them?

Am I the only one who still uses Photobucket?

• Traveller says:

No, you’re not the only one to still use Photobucket. :)

Never had Instagram and never heard of it until the Android app was released.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Ah, see, I have Windows Phone 7, so I’ll see the App in about a year…maybe.

What I like about Photobucket (and pay $3 a month for) is that you can store very high resolution photos, and some pretty large animated gifs and movies.

• StatusfriedCrustomer says:

I just checked and Photobucket still hasn’t improved their search box one bit from 5 years ago: It still doesn’t recognize the “-” for NOT and there are only about 100 unique photos on there, which just keep repeating even though 2000 results are returned.

• bdgbill says:

Instagram is not available for the Jitterbug

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

I have photobucket. Is it true MySpace tried to buy it?

• Blueskylaw says:

Confirmed: MySpace To Acquire Photobucket For $250 Million
        Michael Arrington
        Monday, May 7th, 2007

Apparently an overzealous Photobucket employee is the source of this rumor, but we’ve confirmed it with more senior people: MySpace is acquiring Photobucket for $250 million in cash. We’re hearing that there is also an earn-out for up to an additional $50 million.

Photobucket has been looking for a buyer since March, when they hired Lehman Brothers to help sell the company. They were looking for $300 million or more, but may have had few bidders other than MySpace.

The companies have been in serious acquisition discussions for the last couple of weeks – A dispute that involved Photobucket videos being blocked on MySpace led to acquisition discussions, and the block was removed.

Photobucket generated $6.3 million in revenue last year and planned on hitting $25 million or more this year. They have 40 million registered users and add another 85,000 per day.

• Jawaka says:

Nope. I’d never heard of it either until the recent news.

• Kestris says:

I still use Photobucket for general photos. I use Flickr for more specific things. I’ve never used Instagram and don’t plan to.

2. BrownLeopard says:

So first it was Instagram on Android and the iSheep complained. Now Facebook bought them up and everybody is bailing? Wow.

3. Foot_Note says:

oh noes! the ISheep are up in arms!

4. florsie says:

Ok, Android users may want to check this out. In my case, Instagram saves a copy of the photo with the effects. Just back up those and you are fully covered.

• Pinklette says:

Mine automatically saves a copy to my photo library, which then syncs to iPhoto whenever I back up my phone. I don’t know the Android system, but there should be a similar system.

• cash_da_pibble says:

Android Phones ( at least my Droid Bionic) save Instagram-created photos to your image library. No need to backup your photos.

• florsie says:

Yes, I’ve heard some folks at twitter say that instagram can save a copy of the pictures on your iPhone. You just need to move around the settings.

• BarbiCat says:

Mine auto-saved with no input on my part. It just goes straight to my photo library and backs up when I sync my phone. I wasn’t even aware this was some sort of “issue” people had with not being able to save their photos.

5. Buddha says:

Everyone is complaining about it, but they all have Facebook pages……

• We Have a Piper Down says:

I am complaining and I don’t have Facebook. I don’t want to give any money to MZ. I have blocked FB cookies on third party sites, I have Adblock+, I won’t knowingly have anything to do with Facebook or Zuckerberg.

6. gwynnebaer says:

For shame, Consumerist. I call “scare tactic” on the statement “you may want to take your photos and run.”

I can understand the suspicion (good!) that Instagram may change significantly now that they are owned by FB, but from your own article on the subject: ‘Zuckerberg says, “we’re committed to building and growing Instagram independently… our goal is to help spread this app and brand to even more people.”‘

(I don’t use Instagram nor have any vested interest in it or FB. I just don’t like Consumerist sounding alarmist.)

• Misha says:

I think the intended meaning was more like “If you’re miffed [...] you may be wanting to” rather than as an actual suggestion.

7. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Ohs noes! First all the Appletards were like “OMFG our gated community just turned into a ghetto!” Because Apple consumers honestly think they’re special by way of purchasing their badly designed, poor quality, highly overpriced toys.

Now it’s gonna be “OMFGWTFBBQ now the ghetto turned into a…wait, what’s worse than a ghetto? OMG IT’S A PUBLIC SCHOOL NOW!”

8. humphrmi says:

There’s obviously something going on between Android users and iPhone users with this site that I’m unaware of. Call me a simpleton, but it’s just pictures.

9. shufflemoomin says:

Leaving a company just because it’s now owned by Facebook? Jesus. People didn’t even avoid the Nazis to this level. What have Facebook ACTUALLY done that gives all the hipsters valid reason to avoid them, except be incredibly popular and successful? Is that it?

• cash_da_pibble says:

For me, I use Instagram on a different level than I do Facebook.
      I use Facebook to connect with family and friends all over the country, to update them on anything important I may have going on in my life.
      I use Instagram to take mildly artistic photos of things I think are pretty, and share them with other people who take mildly artistic photos.
      I’m not going to tell my Facebook friends “Woo! Work is Over!”, but I can take an artsy picture of a set dinner table and share it with my Instagram friends.

• bdgbill says:

There are not a lot of good outcomes (any?) from an internet giant buying a hot young startup. Flickr has been left to rot by Yahoo. Scores of others have been bought and simply absorbed into the parent company never to be seen again. This “we are committed to keeping things the same” is always part of the story. Chapter 2 is some member of the original team publicly saying that the new owners are hell bent to destroy the service.

• Kate says:

Facebook requires your actual name and uses it and everything out put out there to make money off it.

Now all sorts of services, forums etc require you to use your facebook userid to make comments and those are used too.

You think this kind of datatrail being built on you is just a ‘service’?

10. sodium says:

Is this really an issue?