There Are Now 500 Paramount Movies Available To Rent On YouTube

We’re not saying any of our fair readers have ever watched a two-hour movie in a series of 10-minute parts that shouldnt’ve have been posted to YouTube, but now there are even more options — YouTube will be adding around 500 Paramount films for rental on the site to its current lineup. All in one piece!

Reuters says the partnership was announced today, despite the fact that the YouTube has been in a long legal battle with Paramount parent company, Viacom Inc.

As terms of the deal weren’t disclosed, no one is exactly sure how this deal went down in the midst of such litigation. Viacom wants to overturn its defeat in the 2007 lawsuit where it said YouTube and Google were responsible for “massive” copyright infringement.

Some of the titles offered will include newer movies like Hugo as well as classic favorites like The Godfather, to further fill out YouTube’s burgeoning collection of feature-length offerings.

YouTube already has deals for renting with five of the six major film studios and more than 10 independent film studios, for a grand total of around 9,000 movies. Usually films go for around $2.99 to $3.99 for 24-48 hour rental periods, and can be rented on the site or from Google Play.

YouTube to offer Paramount movie rentals [Reuters]

Comments

1. Cat says:

Sorry, I’m not paying for anything on YouTube.

And while we’re at here, how about making YouTube available on Roku, Google? People can and DO get around your silly restriction, but it is a PITA to either post videos to your facebook wall or use PlayOn just to watch on their TV what is freely available on any computer.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yeah, every other channel has found a way to make themselves ad supported. and there are enough people out there clamoring for it that you’d think google would listen. i know they want to focus on google tv, but i don’t see why they refuse to do BOTH.
      i fortunately still have the old youtube channel grandfathered in, plus playon. but i’d love to have an official channel

2. Tegan says:

I could see this being more successful if the price point had been $1 instead of $3-4. I’m not huge into movies to begin with, so honestly I probably won’t end up using it either way, but $3-4 seems like an awful lot to rent a movie from Youtube for a day.

• Cat says:

Yea, anything more than a buck or two to stream a movie for a day is too much.
      In addition to “Prime” movies, Amazon also has a great selection of PPV streaming movies, but I won’t be renting them @ $4+ a pop.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Perhaps unintentionally, but your wording suggests the Amazin Prime selection ISN’T good, while the PPV is.

It’s completely true, but I didn’t know if it was intentional.

3. umbriago says:

Great, it’ll probably be Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Ten Commandments and all the Martin and Lewis we can handle.

4. Jane_Gage says:

Pro-tip: search for “part 4″ rather than “part 1,” and always be sure to look at the time in the lower right-hand corner of the thumbnail screen before you click.

5. Schildkrote says:

YouTube’s video quality is horrific at best. Why would I pay for to watch a film on that?

6. speaky2k says:

Well, let’s see, with Netflix at $8 a month ($96/yr) and Amazon prime at less than $7 ($79/yr) all giving me a lot of movies & TV shows streaming as much as I want, why would I want to pay $3-4 per movie to watch one on Youtube? Especially since I can go to the RedBox accross the street from me, or the one a couple of blocks down the street from me, or at the grocery store I pass on the way to work, or (well you get the idea) and pay $1 per movie (or is it $1.25 now?).

7. The_IT_Crone says:

Oh good, so I can “buffer” every two minutes. Sounds *sweet.* I’ll get right on that.

8. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

Too bad Kabletownwarnerizon has or will data cap everyone.

9. aaron8301 says:

Is it in 1080p and DTS Master-HD 7.1 surround? No? Then I’ll stick to Redbox for $1.50 a night.

Yes, I’m a fidelity snob.

10. shthar says:

Great, now there’s another site I can not watch em at.