Government Report Says Inactivity And Obesity Are Linked To Cancer Risks

According to a government report, a lack of exercise and excess weight can make you more vulnerable to as many as a third of the most common cancers in the United States. Tobacco use is the only prevalent risk factor that leads to more preventable diseases and deaths.

USA Today reports researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and three national institutes that focus on cancer research and prevention pitched in on the report, which was published in the journal Cancer.

Obese and inactive people tend to have trouble with hormone and insulin levels, as well as struggles with hypertension. These factors are some of the many that lead to an increased risk of cancer, the report says. Obesity is believed to up the risk of colorectal and postmenopausal breast cancers.

Education, earlier diagnoses and aggressive treatments are helping lower the rate of cancer cases and deaths, but researchers believe the prognosis could grow even more favorable if more people maintain a healthy weight and stop using tobacco.

Report links rise in cancer to inactivity, obesity [USA Today]

Comments

1. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

So unhealthy lifestyles lead to disease. Whodathunkit?

2. madrigal says:

Duh?

3. galligator says:

no sh*t

4. bhr says:

What is interesting is that there have also been a number of studies that showed that overweight people have an improved survival rate for certain types of cancer (post detection).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19543914 is one.

Now, BMI is crap so it’s likely that many people in the “overweight” category would be fit by most of our standards (for example, someone 6’2 220 is consider overweight on the border of obese but most of us wouldn’t consider them fat)

• Velvet Jones says:

Yep. I’m just under 6 foot, around 212 lbs or so. Based on BMI I’m obese and bordering the next level(extremely obese?). While I could use to loose a bit of my gut, I’m not even close to being consider fat.

• Marlin says:

Maybe not compared to the others at your wal-mart. But if you have a gut that you need to “loose a bit” then yes you are fat.

I’m 6foot 200pounds and need to lose weight.

• Velvet Jones says:

I guess it depends on what you call fat. The BMI chart is a joke. According to it, my ideal weight would be something around 145. If I weighed that much I would look like someone who just came out of a concentration camp. Having a slight beer gut,or should I say pizza gut, does not make you obese. I do agree with the point of the article. Sitting around all day will kill you, even if you’re a bean pole.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Over weight people might have a higher survival rate because when they can’t eat because of nausea from chemo they have the reserves. Anorexic is no good either because I’ve seen simple colds knock skinny people over.

5. Total Casual says:

All that extra tissue growing = more chances for cancerous mutation!

6. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

This just in, being born increases you cancer risks.

7. Blueskylaw says:

A preliminary government report also says that lack of money
    makes people poor, but further study is still needed to confirm.

8. thomwithanh says:

What else is new?

9. sirwired says:

Actually, that photo looks like somebody suffering from lymphedema, a form of tissue swelling that most certainly is not caused by overeating, and won’t go down, even on a starvation diet.

• AstroPig7 says:

I’m not an expert by any measure, but doesn’t lymphedema usually cause discolouration of the affected areas? The legs appear to be hairless, which could be the result of shaving, hairs too fine to be picked up by the camera, or an arterial circulation problem. However, the last of these possibilities can also be caused by simply eating too much and not exercising enough.

• sirwired says:

No, lymphedema does not inherently cause discoloration. I suspect whether or not it does might depend on how close the ducts are to the surface of the skin.

10. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

+News flash+ * This just in…. Funyuns aren’t composed of any actual onions! Stayed tuned for more eye-opening, late breaking news!

11. kataisa says:

“Government Report Says Inactivity And Obesity Are Linked To Cancer Risks”

Of course the government would say that to throw us off the known fact that it’s really government produced industrialized frankenfood that’s making obesity and cancer and autism rates sky-high.

And stupid Americans will believe anything the US govt tells them because, really, the government is merely looking out for our well-being, right?

• Kuri says:

Might want to adjust your tinfoil hat there.

• Not Given says:

I’m sure not going to give the USDA pyramid any consideration. A government agency whose sole purpose is to promote agriculture should not be the authority on what makes up a healthy diet. This epidemic started with the government telling people what they should eat.

12. A.Mercer says:

I have upped my working out lately. Started working with a personal trainer. I know it is extra cost but the personal motivation works for me. I could work out at home but I get bored with it. The trainer helps keep it varied and keep me motivated.

What is really helping me get in some cardio time is an app for my phone. It tracks your distance and time and so forth. It keeps a log of your walk/runs (although I am way more walk than run but working on it). It also tells you zombies are chasing you. It is an interactive workout game called Zombies, Run. I love it so far. It has a story and you gather resources as you run. The phone tells you that you have found them. You get to distribute those resources back at camp. How you distribute them will determine how the camp grows and can lead to changes in the story. The best part are the zombie chases. At points in the game the app will tell you that you are being chased and start to call off distances between you and the zombie horde. You have to up your speed (which is tracked by the GPS) or get caught. I am loving it so far.

I am so happy about it I am having to share it on here. Figured it went well with a story about people needing to lose weight. I am one of those people and this app is making my workouts fun rather than a chore. I went out yesterday and I am already looking forward to going out tomorrow.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Zombies, Run – this would make me want to exercise! I have to admit I hate organized exercising. I don’t mind push mowing the lawn, raking leaves, picking up sticks, doing stuff with the dog in at the river, shopping, and otherwise walking around and doing things, but tell me I have to do X and Y for a certain amount of time, and I’m all “like no – not gonna do it”.

But involve zombies, gathering stuff up, and distributing it…and running away from them – yes, I can get behind that. It might be fun to organize something like that at work that we could do during break and lunch periods.

13. Snoofin says:

The amount of money wasted by the gobernment on stupid studies is amazing. Why cant we get some people in the government to say NO to something for a change. I guess the next study will be one that discovers that dogs have fur

14. Nyxalinth says:

This just in: being alive causes cancer!

The list gets longer all the time, I swear. Next they’ll blame obesity for violent crimes and terrorism.

15. Not Given says:

‘Linked to’ is the hallmark of an observational study or series of studies that fail to take into account that there is no clinical research proving that either one causes the other, only that they are more likely to occur together.

All this shows is that some cancers are likely to be a metabolic problem.

More likely inactivity, obesity, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and strokes are mostly caused by the same thing. I’m thinking frankenfoods that increased our consumption of artificial fats, wheat, corn, soy and sugars. Before the 60s or 70s didn’t we eat mostly whole foods we cooked ourselves, including red meat and eggs?