Death Threats Aren’t A Convincing Way To Sell Your Scam On The Phone

Unsolicited calls are bad enough, but when that stranger starts to make threats, well, that’s just downright terrifying. And of course, totally illegal. A woman who refused to fall victim to a scammer calling her home on the phone found herself the target of an even scarier premise when the caller said he’d kill her for not paying in to the scam.

Lancaster Online reports from Pennsylvania, where police say a male caller told a woman on the phone that she had just won a prize, but would have to pay a fee before it could be delivered.

She knew the call was a scam and warned the caller that she was hanging up and calling the police. That’s when the scammer got worse, telling the woman he was “watching her” and was going to “kill her.”

He apparently roped someone else in on his ploy, as a few minutes later, a female called the woman and said she was from the police department. She had the totally ridiculous advice to do whatever the caller said.

Our savvy woman held tight, and when the male scammer called back, he said he “wouldn’t kill her because she is an old lady,” police said. She hung up on him again.

Cops urge anyone in the area with similar incidents to call their local police department and report them.

*Thanks to Joel for the tip!

Scammer issues death threat during phone call to Lititz woman [Lancaster Online]

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

I would be more pissed that he called me an old lady rather that trying to scam me or threatening to kill me over the phone.

2. GMFish says:

Death Threats Aren’t A Convincing Way To Sell Your Scam On The Phone

If you’re trying to sell your thuggery services, a good death threat might show potential customers just how good you are. For anything else, you’re probably right.

• Velvet Jones says:

But you have to remember the IQ of the people running these types of scams. This was probably some thug who is use to bullying people around. It might work in a dark alley at 2 am, but it doesn’t have quite the same impact over the phone.

3. sirwired says:

This isn’t exactly an experienced scammer. Any mass-calling scammer should know that you might as well just hang up at the first sign of resistance, as that makes your already low chances of success on any particular call pretty much zero.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Yeah, once you threaten someone, it stops being an elegant con, and becomes plain, simple extortion. So uncouth.

4. oldwiz65 says:

Report it to the police? Hahaha like they will do anything. They have better things to do.

5. Stevea1210 says:

This is the town I live in. I was so happy to read this story. There are weekly news stories on the local news of some elderly person getting scammed in our area. It was nice to read one where the person DIDN’T fall victim to it.

6. foodfeed says:

I get a few death threats every year at work. I hang up and sometimes they call back complaining that I hung up.

7. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

One of my coworkers got a call at home from some sort of scammer stating she had won a prize, and two men would be coming by her home to pick her up and take her to the bank to cash the check. Of course, she’d have to pay a small fee to get the money…right…

The caller said she’d know it was legit because he’d give her the names of the men who were coming to pick her up.

I’m truly amazed at what people will try to pull to steal money from other people.

• Not Given says:

OMG did she have the police waiting when they got there or did she just hang up?

The cops here got a tip someone was going to kidnap a pharmacist and his family and hold them while one of them took him to get all the good drugs from the store. The cops were in the house when they busted in.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

No, she told them she wasn’t going to be home, that she and her husband were going out to dinner. I told her she should have called the police, and told the people to come right over! Plus, she’s one of the few people on the planet without caller ID service, so she has no idea what number they used. And she didn’t think to dial the number the phone company gives you to trace calls. She thought it was funny.

I thought it was terrifying. They have her phone number, which means they can get an address!! She lives about 3 miles from me. We have access to township police and state police who could catch people like this. And no, they’re not too busy as we have an extremely low crime rate here, and they’re always out looking for speeders and what not.

If they call me, and they actually show up, they’ll have a police reception and will need to explain themselves to the district magistrate, an old classmate of mine.

8. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Woman: Yes?
    Voice: (mumbling) Mrs. Arlsburgerhhh?
    Woman: Who?
    Voice: (mumbling) Mrs. Johannesburrrr?
    Woman: Who is it?
    Voice: Flowers.
    Woman: Flowers for whom?
    Voice: Plumber, ma’am.
    Woman: I don’t need a plumber. You’re that clever shark, aren’t you?
    Voice: Candygram.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I just saw one of the land shark skits on SNL from the 70’s on Netflix streaming. OMG those guys were funny.

9. clothos says:

Personally, I have never received any death threats, but I have been contacted by those “credit card debt consolidators” in the past, many of them young sexy sounding females. I managed to get thm from stopping by doing the following:

CALLER: usually starts with a recording saying “if you want to consolidate your high credit card debt press 1 to speak to a representative”

ME: I press 1, then a sexy sounding young chick comes on the line.

SEXY; “hello, I understand that you have some debt you want to consolidate….” or something similar.

Me: say something like “…yes I have 10 cards that have all have high interest…” or something like that>

SEXY; then proceeds to give the usual scam sphiel about how they can help me to lower my interest and payments every month, then requests credit card information.

ME: I say something like “…i am tryhing to find them…but so are you a blnd or brunette”

SEXY: if she has not hung up yet, will answer, and then press for the first credit card number.

ME: “I am still looking for it honey…how old are you…”

SEXY: will answer beginning to sound frustrated, and put off, and presses on for the card.

ME: “….I am still looking….” and then ask other presonal questions.

SEXY: hangs up.

I have used this tactic on several occasions. If a guy answers I then ask to speak to a lady, if they want my information, then they hang up.

Over the course of about 2 years, these calls have been comming in less and less, until none at all as of about a year ago.

I guess I have been taken off of their sucker list and put on their do not call he will waste your time list.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I tried speaking Spanish. The person on the other end started blathering on in Spanish. I said “no comprendo espanol”. They swore at me and hung up.

I’ve not been brave enough to answer the phone as Officer so and so, and ask why they’re calling the home of a murder victim yet.

10. XTREME TOW says:

Shame she didn’t get the caller’s number. She could always call back at 0430 and say:
    “I know where YOU are, and I’m coming to get you!”
    I inform people that I will let my phone ring a minimum of ten times before picking up; unless I recognize the caller ID.