Worst Company In America Semifinals: Bank Of America Vs. Walmart

Once again, Bank of America is so close to holding the Golden Poo it can taste it. And only one obstacle remains in BofA’s path to another shot at the WCIA crown. Of course, that obstacle also happens to be the world’s largest retailer.

This marks the third year in a row these two contenders have faced each other in battle inside the Worst Company Holodeck. Bank of America has sent Walmart home with a sore bottom in both previous instances.

However, it’s been four years since readers hated Walmart enough to vote the big lug into the Semifinals. It even managed to edge out the heavily favored PayPal, so perhaps the tide is turning.

Of course, the last time Walmart was this close to the WCIA Final Death Match, it lost to… Countrywide, which is now part of BofA.

But what’s past is past. In the present, it’s time to vote.

(Voting on this poll will close at 11:59 p.m. ET tonight, March 29.)

As we mentioned when announcing the Round 3 contenders, we want to add some suspense to the remaining contests so the results will stay hidden until we post the two finalists on the morning of April 2. So be sure to check back Monday morning to see if your least-favorite made the cut.

This is a post in our Worst Company In America 2012 series. The companies competing for this honor were chosen by you, the readers. See the entire WCIA 2012 bracket and schedule of match-ups HERE.

Comments

1. Gardius says:

Bank of America takes it with at least 75% of the vote. Anything less is an insult.

• vastrightwing says:

Exactly. The only mystery here is will BoA beat Walmart by more than 80%? I think so. I mean, you don’t HAVE to do business with WalMart. BoA is nearly impossible to escape from. WalMart doesn’t have an “evil” department like BoA does.

I can image this:

Regular guy: So where do you work and what do you do?

BoA exec: I’m an executive for BoA. I head the evil department.

Regular Guy: what are your responsibilities?

BoA Exec: To ensure BoA makes as many of our customers as annoyed as we can while still keeping them as customers. All while skirting any laws. We ensure keeping them by having so many “products” and we tie all the products together so we can lock them in long term and do as much evil as possible.

Regular Guy: What kind of evil do you do?

BoA Exec: We routinely make accounting mistakes (in our favor), ensure our online bank goes down just when it’s time to pay your bills… we play tricks with your account and create rules so you cannot avoid paying fees. I enjoy reading consumerist and reading how much pain we inflict. It’s a great job! We also branch out to other bank’s customers and foreclose on homes we don’t actually service loans for. This is how we stay connected to our customers.

2. Pigfish99 the randomly insane says:

BofA.

3. MutantMonkey says:

BoA has the poo in the bag. Now we just need a lighter.

4. TonyK says:

BoA hands down.

• Lyn Torden says:

I’ve never done business with BoA. I have done business with Walmart. I was even satisfied with Walmart a couple times. So my vote is for …

[drum roll]

… BoA … FTP!!!

5. BigDragon says:

I want to see Bank of America vs Electronic Arts.

• TonyK says:

BoA would still win, but the margin would be closer. :D

• Cat says:

I don’t want to see it. I really think gamer forums are trying to force a result, and it just ain’t right.

• BigDragon says:

What’s done is done. I don’t think EA should have beaten Comcast. Now that they have I want to see them go all the way.

• dolemite says:

I fail to see the problem here.

Say company X is 15% bad to 20 million people, but company Y is 95% bad to 10 million people. The contest isn’t for most infamous bad company, it’s for worst company. EA has become far worse than most companies on this list.

6. Cat says:

If any of you assclowns vote for Walmart, I’ll kill you.

• TonyK says:

Having dealt with them while working for a State Agency I could have voted for them. But BoA is much worse and has no redeeming values that I can find.

At least Walmart provides humor with the “People of Walmart” slideshows that people put up from time to time.

• FacebookAppMaker says:

I voted for walmart. Not because BofA isn’t evil, but living in Canada, the percentage of my day dealing with BofA is -1,000,000,000,000,000%. However, Walmart is about 5% of my year. 5% is much higher than -1,000,000,000,000,000%.

• thisisit says:

Ummm…..You know the contest is called “Worst company in AMERICA”. Not north-america or english speaking americas, just continental United States. Yeah that’s right i said Continental. Quick complaining about your non-existent problems Hawaii and Alaska.

• FacebookAppMaker says:

America defines all of North America. The U.S should realize that. They have taken the word “American” and stolen it for themselves. Do I care? No.

However, this contest should either A) Be called “Worst Company in the States” OR B) Geo-filter votes so only “American” votes count.

• FacebookAppMaker says:

Also, your Xenophobia is showing. You might want to correct that.

• Tyanna says:

I am also in Canada, and I actually have to deal with BoA now. My rewords program for my credit card has been taken over by BoA.

So there you have it people, you can’t even avoid BoA if you don’t live in the US!

7. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

And in the next round… BofA vs AT&T!

• TonyK says:

AT&T is not that bad. Sprint was bad. Always had issues with Sprint billing. Citi is the worse though. When my wife’s CC was compromised they LAUGHED at her when she found out and reported it. LAUGHED at her. They got an ear full from me once I found out and we continue to dislike them.

• vastrightwing says:

Paleeessse! Not even a close race. Come on. BoA has it in the bag!

8. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

BofA, no question. I still haven’t forgiven them for ruining the economy.

At least Walmart has taken it upon themselves to provide more affordable prescription medications to people, which I personally appreciate since I still don’t have health insurance.

9. longfeltwant says:

I’m sure BoA will take this one. If AT&T beats EA, then I will have picked the correct two finalists. However, I had both WalMart and EA losing in the first round! so if they both make it to the finals, then I’ll be pretty much last place for my bracket.

• Tyanna says:

I had EA going for the gold in this one. They have pissed off enough people this time around.

Walmart really shocked me though. Walmart hasn’t done anything special this year to warrant all the new hate. I mean, it’s just Walmart doing what Walmart does. There were no new stories of them doing anything over the top, or making us shaking our heads in ‘really? they are raising the bar again?’ No….just receipt checking, and return mishaps. Nothing worse than Target really….

10. CubeRat says:

Go Walmart

11. Costner says:

BOA is strongly disliked here – nobody else has a chance. They have been known to foreclose on the wrong houses, and even as their stock takes a nosedive their executives are raking in millions. Walmart forces people to show their receipts. Hardly a fair comparison.

12. Dyscord says:

BofA for sure. Honestly, what on earth has Wal-mart done to even get this far. Wal-mart hate seems to be regional…not all Wal-Marts are bad. BofA are just dicks to everyone.

• Lyn Torden says:

Interesting perspective. I think you may be right. Walmart screwups tend to be caused by store employees or local management. Bank (not just BOA, but others like Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, etc) screwups seem to be central corporate policy.

I had an issue with Chase when I was an account holder, and I was personally in the branch manager’s office when it was trying to talk to people at corporate headquarters to clear it up, and I could tell he was roadblocked all the way. He told me “I can understand if you were to close your account here”. I replied “I can understand if you are looking for a better job elsewhere”. He mumbled something about “already in the works”.

I did close it. I have no idea if he moved on. He was certainly out of place there.

13. Blackadar says:

BOA all the way!

14. DogiiKurugaa says:

I still don’t understand how WalMart beat Paypal, but there is no way WalMart is worse than BofA. If WalMart somehow wins (loses?) there has to be some vote tampering or BofA employees being forced to vote for WalMart.

• BackInBlack says:

Couldn’t agree more; I’ve actually had good experiences with Wal-Mart. PayPal is evil and I hear another new horror story almost daily. Maybe just not enough people forced to deal with PayPay yet, as they are fairly isolated to eBay and a online shopping for now.

15. ThinkingBrian says:

Bank of America all the way…

16. Cooneymike says:

Well, when you play at this level even the big boys eventually loose. Walmart might be a market powerhouse but at some point everyone must give way in terms of crappiness to Big Daddy B of A.

17. HogwartsProfessor says:

BoA! BoA! BoA!

18. TwistedComplex says:

BoA will win this one and EA will win the competition

19. JosephFinn says:

WalMart, easily. BoA pales before WM as the leading light in the disgusting destruction of labor in this country.

20. BackInBlack says:

BoA all the way! But if you need help deciding, I saved this story especially for today’s round, as related by a friend when I told said friend about WCIA:

“IDK if I told you, but we recently switched from BoA to Bank of [redacted]. Lots of little reasons, mostly just poor service but was triggered when they charged me $2 for a a $20 roll of quarters & $0.50 for breaking a $100, hemmed & hawed about notarizing our signature for real estate papers, and us with a commercial account running $25k balance…and that without letting me know there was going to be a charge. We just took our marbles across the street, where they’re nicer but we sometimes have to wait for someone to finish their lunch. LOL.”

21. BackInBlack says:

Sorry for the double post but forgot this. Regarding my friend’s story about

“They charged me $2 for a a $20 roll of quarters & $0.50 for breaking a $100″

I wanted to add that this was FUNNY when magician Harry Anderson did it to patrons of the Cheers bar, and on Night Court. Not so much when it happens to you at your friendly bank with your very own cash! Isn’t being a quick-change artist like borderline illegal?

22. missminimonster says:

BofA is going to take it this year.

23. XxSuntoucherxX says:

The suspense is terrible, I hope it lasts…

24. tborodarc says:

BofA, darling…
    They closed my Mastercard after sending me offer to switch it to 1-2-3 rewards card. OK, I call and switch, receive a new card and start using it exclusively for groceries to get 2% back. About two months later I can’t login, so I call. Cheerfully a CSR informs me the cc was canceled at my request a month ago! And what about my massive $13.55 cashback reward? Sorry, you can’t get it after cc is closed! And this answer I get after 1hr58min phone call with 4-5 transfers and finally being disconnected… So I gave up. Choke on my $13.55…