83-Year-Old Customer + Apple Store Door = Broken Nose + $1 Million Lawsuit

Of all the complaints we received from readers who nominated Apple for Worst Company In America, we’re pretty sure that none mentioned the apparent dangers of glass doors at its retail outlets. But one elderly NYC woman says she not only broke her nose when she walked into these perilous panes, she thinks her pain is worth a seven-figure settlement.

“Apple wants to be cool and modern and have the type of architecture that would appeal to the tech crowd,” the woman’s attorney says, “but on the other hand, they have to appreciate the danger that this high-tech modern architecture poses to some people.”

The Queens resident says she walked into the glass door while entering an Apple Store on Long Island and ended up with a broken nose.

According to CBS NY, the store has since put up warning strips to hopefully prevent future customers from being attacked by the high-tech modern architecture.

Octogenarian Sues Apple For Collision Related Injury [CBS NY via cnet]

Thanks to Chris for the tip!

Comments

1. caradrake says:

They must use Windex on their doors.

2. lonestarbl says:

Last time I checked, $1,000,000 was seven figures :)

3. cyberbird168 says:

I will make sure to visit any friends of mine who have a sliding glass door. So I can be retired in 6 months.

• Rachacha says:

My son did that when we visited the beach. He walked into the house we were renting (while wearing some funny glasses that kids like to wear) saw the ocean and ran full speed into the closed sliding glass door. Fortunately no broken nose, just a bruised ego.

4. kidstechno says:

Maybe they should hire Dwight Schrute to turn away old people like he did at the Saber store.

5. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

Her nose isn’t really broken; she’s just holding it wrong.

6. Cat says:

What’s an 83 year old woman doing in an Apple store?

“I just came in to buy some nice Granny Smiths to bake a pie for the grandchildren. I wasn’t expecting a broken nose!”

7. chemmy says:

maybe she should sue her eye doctor while she is at it.

• MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

Don’t you mean her iDoctor?

• Dallas_shopper says:

I have astigmatism and a very high prescription and have walked into glass doors before either because I couldn’t see them or because I misjudged the distance due to reflections, etc.

I have yet to break my nose though. :-|

• Frankz says:

And that was clearly the fault of the glass door’s owner, wasn’t it?
        or maybe only if you’re 83 and greedy.

• Dallas_shopper says:

No; it wasn’t my fault either, it’s nobody’s fault. Falls into the category of “shit happens”.

• Jawaka says:

I disagree. Shit does happen but if you walked into a door because your disability prevented you from seeing it then it’s still your own fault. If you ran over a kid in a parking lot because you couldn’t see him wouldn’t it be your fault?

8. Cat says:

In other news, IT has finally blocked YouTube.

• chemmy says:

until there’s something THEY want to watch… ahh but then they will just unblock it for themselves so my argument is invalid.

• Doubting thomas says:

No it’s blocked for us too, we just use out tablets and phones to view it via either cell signal, or the unfiltered DSL network we keep for “diagnostic” purposes

• nugatory says:

If they’re like IT at my company, their PCs are set to just completely bypass all logging and firewall functionality that the rest of us must pass through.

• cyberbird168 says:

Actually she might trying to get herself on TV. “The Most Dumbest” series

• elangomatt says:

Maybe they are just Apple fanboys and blocked any youtube videos that say anything bad about Apple

• FLConsumer says:

Most of the time it’s because they don’t have enough bandwidth to handle all of the users in the company screwing off on internet video. Enterprise-grade connections are ridiculously expensive compared to residential-grade.

Those Time Warner/Comcast “business” cable connections are a joke, completely unreliable. They may have nice speed tests when no one’s on the network but they can’t handle a lot of packets.

In my office I have two connections, a fast (100Mbps, ends up being about 80Mbps after our router bodges it) microwave link to one of the local fiber backbones, and a copper T1 (1.54Mbps) line for mission-critical things. YouTube, NCAA March Madness, streaming radio gets funneled into the wireless hop. In comparison, one of the local banks only has a single T1 for their corporate offices. Between that + PCI compliance, there’s no fun going on over there.

9. Eyeheartpie says:

Birds everywhere are now on their phones with their lawyers…

10. Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

When I worked at Burger King, they had to start putting red dots on the doors, because apparently something similar happened.

• cheezeit says:

Drat, i’m double in trouble being red/green color blind. Hopefully those red dots will appear as gray dots that are seeable to me :)

11. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Who leads with their nose?

12. shanelee24 says:

Really? Really old lady? I hate to have to call you a dumbass, and I would not have without the lawsuit. Seriously, this shit has got to stop, we have become a nation of idiots and low class wusses.

• dilbert69 says:

Just because you ask for $1,000,000 in the complaint doesn’t mean you’ll get it. I’d have no problem with her receiving a lesser amount if there is damage (seems clear) and liability (less clear).

• Jawaka says:

I don’t think that she should receive anything. Rewarding her with even one dollar would be a step in the wrong direction.

• El_Red says:

Since in USA health care isn’t free, I would say she deserves to be paid. Anything not covered by Medicare.

Every glass door I have ever seen, had some kind of sticker, warning, logo or plain advertising at eye level. This is basic common sense, to avoid accidents.

• bsh0544 says:

Why does she deserve to get paid? She walked into a door. It’s not like it was a dangerous, fast-moving object. If I walk into the side of a building it’s not the building owner’s fault I’m an idiot. What happened to personal responsibility? This is why everything is so crazy expensive these days.

• El_Red says:

In a high traffic area, basic warnings are a must. I have never seen a glass door without some kind of warning, a sticker, or just an ad on the eye level.

Even mom and pop street shops with glass doors had something to attract attention to it. ( I don’t know if there a law in our city, but it all makes sense for a business.)

• flychinook says:

The huge polished metal handles are usually a dead giveaway. Metal rarely floats in midair.

• jebarringer says:

Every store I have ever seen has had some type of FRONT DOORS ON IT. This is even more basic common sense.

• dush says:

Prepare for the $1,000,000 libel suit she will now level against you.

13. SkokieGuy says:

The lawsuit would have been for less money, but she was carrying a hot cup of coffee at the time.

14. ChuckECheese says:

I sat on a jury in 1997 where a 93-year old man sued Olive Garden because he slipped and fell on ice while pushing his wife, who was in a wheelchair, up the access ramp. He broke his hip, requiring a replacement. There had been no precipitation in the area for over a week. The OG sent him a letter of apology and a couple gift certificates.

After being denied compensation, he sued them for the portion of his medical expenses that was not covered by Medicare, about $40,000. Olive Garden claimed that the letter and certificates were fakes, and that the employee who signed the letter never existed. OG’s attorneys were so extremely unpleasant to the old guy that there was no deliberation at all. It was done as a percentage of fault, and we said OG = 100% fault.

• dolemite says:

Reminds me of when I worked at a supermarket years ago. They had managers deliver the cash drops to the bank, and they’d always get a stock boy to go with the manager (bodyguard?). We always enjoyed it, because we’d get out of work for half an hour. Well on this trip, we were robbed and carjacked (I think I was about 16). I think a few months later I got a $10 gift card and an apology letter. Should have sued…

• MrEvil says:

Too cheap for Armored truck service I guess? No high volume store does cash drops themselves anymore.

• rekoil says:

Not as a bodyguard, but to keep the manager from pocketing a few bills on the way.

• El_Red says:

You should have sold this t-shirt instead: “I was robbed and car-jacked while working for xyz supermarket, and all I got a measly 10$ gift card.”

Either you would have profited from t-shirt sales, or the supermarket would have offered more money. Win-win.

15. StarKillerX says:

Yet another example of why we need to add some sort of loser pays law added to our legal system.

16. jiubreyn says:

User error. Surely this isn’t the first business she’s visited with glass doors.

• Captain Spock says:

Back in my day… doors were made of solid OAK and we had a doorman to tell us to watch our step, and he tipped his hat!

17. bsh0544 says:

What does her age have to do with it? All I see is a self-important jerk.

Also, the video. “Scary Apple Store’s Stairs”? Really?

• Cor Aquilonis says:

I find Apple store stairs quite frightening, and went up and down them once and don’t care to go again. It’s weird because I’m comfortable on roller coasters, climbing those fake rock walls, climbing trees and ladders and walking on roofs and such. It’s just those steps that unnerve me for some reason.

18. nocar says:

It was 40ºF that day, did she really expect the doors to be left wide open?

19. oldtaku says:

Old people just can’t handle this newfangled Apple technology.

20. geopapa says:

Stupidity shouldn’t be rewarded.

21. PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

I had a similiar story actually happen to me last September.

I was wearing an eyepatch (medical reason that I won’t go into) and I was about to walk through a bank’s revolving glass door. Just as I was entering, a decent-sized chunk of hair (I had long hair and this strand went to my chin) strayed into my good eye, blinding me. Being unable to see and in motion in a revolving door, I misjudged my exit and went face-first (don’t ask me how), full speed, into glass (I had tried to exit too early). It knocked me silly and hurt like hell. I found my way to a restroom and assessed the damage: blood gushing out of my nose and it turned to the side. I gritted my teeth and yanked my nose back into place and stuffed my nostrils with makeshift paper towel tampons. (I have had my nose broken before.)

I could have sued for being a dumbass? Oh wait, I was actually too embarrassed for doing something so stupid which was obviously my fault and not the bank’s.

• EnergyStarr says:

the parenthetical asides in your story are not helpful.

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

Everyone’s a critic.

Yeah…kinda went overboard, didn’t I? It’s funny if you read that as if I’m suffering from a multiple personality disorder…

• The Porkchop Express says:

did you have to wear the patch on 9/19? if so, you may have accidentally been a part of international talk like a pirate day.

22. Martha Gail says:

I didn’t realize doors were high-tech and modern.

23. mannyvel says:

Since when do people from Queens shop in Manhasset?

24. 2 Replies says:

Apparently the 83 year old is used to floating metal door-handles.
    She must be from the future where everyone know WHERE non-existent doors are supposed to be, and where the doors are all gone but their fixtures remain suspended in place.

25. maestrosteve says:

I’m surprised that she’s not suing because they don’t actually sell fruit.

26. The Porkchop Express says:

Honestly, they should have had some decorative markings on the glass that would allow people to see the door is closed. (i have them on my sliders at home to keep guests and the clumsy wife from running into the things).

But, I would imagine it is still visible right? Never been to an apple store, but I can’t imagine that they have some impossible to see glass otherwise this would not be the first case we heard of.

27. Drep says:

Forget those doors! Did you see those stairs at the end of that video? They are going to kill someone and be a lot worse off than they are right now.

28. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I am mildly embarrassed to admit that I once walked into an ultra-clean glass door in a friend’s parent’s vacation home…and managed to scratch it with the plate of reheated pizza I was carrying.

My dad used to walk into a large glass window at an apartment complex I used to live at…the foyer where the mailboxes were had a full door on one side that was locked, and next to it a full-length window. Dad perpetually just walked into the window…time and time again.

At any rate, having established the propensity of at least some people to walk into glass…seriously. It’s not Apple’s fault. And no, they shouldn’t be forced to put stickers on their doors or whatever…especially since they’re apparently going for a particular aesthetic.

You walk into the door – you break your nose – your problem. Careful the door doesn’t smack you in your old crumbly ass on the way back out.

29. Jemaine says:

I wouldn’t be caught dead (or alive) in an Apple store. Bunch of weird cult members, I mean employees.

30. elephantattack says:

This is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. It seems like you’d have to be moving pretty quick to break your nose… On top of that, a million dollars? Can you say opportunist? My Fiance’s grandma has a case involving some pretty serious malpractice and they’re only talking in the 5 figure range.

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah, but her case isn’t against Apple is it?

Also your Fiance’s grandma probably also has a case, which is why they go for a reasonable amount as opposed to shooting for the sky in the hopes of getting a settlement off from the company or their insurance, so they can save the legal expenses.

I don’t normally take Apple’s side, especially in lawsuits, but in this case I hope they crush this woman and her lawyer.

• dolemite says:

I think this is why we have legislation on lawsuit reform cooking. Honestly, a broken nose is probably worth 5-10k. It’s not like she’s disabled for life or going to die 10 years earlier.

31. daemonaquila says:

No sympathy for the idiot. Glass has seams. Glass has shine. Glass has hardware. Glass is TO BE EXPECTED when you see a see-through structure with expensive toys inside, ‘cuz, you know, you might need to secure the place somehow and keep dirt from blowing into the electronics.

I hope her butt gets handed to her on a plate by a nasty judge and nasty lawyers. And I’m a plaintiff’s lawyer, saying this…

32. thrashanddestroy says:

Wonder how often this old bat wanders into her patio door window, or punches through her car window while paying at a drive-thru, or is amazed at the heathen witchcraft keeping her beverage in a perfectly cylindrical solid shape on her kitchen table.

As much as I love seeing Apple get taken to court, this is just re-dic-ulous. If they even settle out of court, I’m pulling for the ghost of Steve Jobs to kick some serious Apple lawyer ass.

33. do-it-myself says:

Now THAT’S the type of retirement plan I need!

34. Velvet Jones says:

What’s scary is that this old bat probably still has a drivers license and uses it.

35. MyTQuinn says:

My mother will be 83 next month, and couldn’t get moving fast enough to break anything without assistance from gravity. If this woman can get moving fast enough to break her nose, she should have the wherewithal to know there’s a closed door in front of her.

36. Ed says:

Fake! Old people can’t walk fast enough to break their noses.

37. ned4spd8874 says:

I’m always running into those sliding doors. Especially at the new target by my house. I’m a pretty fast walker and the doors open at a snails pace. By the time I realize and slow down even further, it’s too late and I end up hitting my shoulder, leg or foot into them.

38. brinks says:

We’re really bad about windexing our glass doors at work. Now I have the perfect excuse: it’s to protect old people!

39. britswim04 says:

Those strips were in place before this incident took place, as pointed out by numerous places. (Since October) http://gizmodo.com/5896402/apples-glass-stores-a-danger-to-birds-and-old-ladies

40. Wesley says:

This is why we can’t have nice things.

41. PortlandBeavers says:

Shakedown.

42. Jerem43 says:

There is a picture of the same store after Jobs’ death a few months prior, clearly in the image can be seen the white stripes she claims weren’t there. Just saying

43. Kusac says:

That 83 year old lady must have been definitely quick on her feet to have been able to break her nose so well on a glass door. Doesn’t that take a bit of speed whereas the older folk tend not to have?