An Actual Ton Of Sausage Recalled For Possible Listeria Contamination

Listeria is a familiar, if not unpopular name to many Americans by now, as an outbreak of it spread last year, causing multiple deaths, through contaminated cantaloupe. Now the bacteria is having its way with a ton of ready-to-eat sausage from Texas, triggering a recall of a few products.

The Department of Agriculture says no one has reported getting sick yet from items recalled by Southside Market & Barbeque of Elgin, about 20 miles east of Austin, reports the Associated Press (via the Chicago Tribune).

Including in the recall are smoked and fully cooked meats, sold in Texas as well as through Internet sales in California, Florida, Illinois and Louisiana. The possible listeria contamination was uncovered during routine product testing.

Ar ound 2,373 pounds of meat in 16-oz packages of Southside Market & Barbeque Original Beef Sausage, lot number 065-E are in the recall, as well as 16- and 48-oz packages of Southside Market & Barbeque Original Beef Sausage, lot numbers 065-A, 065-B, 065-C, and 065-D; and 16-oz packages of Southside Market & Barbeque 1882 Hot Recipe Beef Sausage, lot number 065-D.

Consumers can contact the company by calling 512-285-3407.

Texas company recalls ton of sausage [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

This is why I don’t buy sausage on the internet.

2. some.nerd says:

Sounds like yet another sausage party I’ll be staying away from, thankyouverymuch….

3. Blueskylaw says:

After you’re done washing down your one ton of sausage, you can head over to UConn for a one ton sundae snack.

Picture this: one ton ‚Äì and there lies no exaggeration in this number ‚Äì of flavors upon flavors of delicious ice cream, arranged in a mosaic fashion that van Gogh would be proud of, all at your fingertips for the price of one dollar. While to most kids this may sound like one of those better-than-reality dreams, it was quite real for students Friday at the Subog-sponsored “One Ton Sundae” Event.

4. SkokieGuy says:

Listeria, doesn’t it freshen your breath?

5. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

“Ready to Eat”? As opposed to what?

6. Murph1908 says:

Abe Froeman must be livid.

7. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

In the past couple of years, I’ve noticed it becoming increasingly common for very shady guys to be selling frozen meat either door-to-door, out of beat up vans, or at flea markets. There’s always some BS story about how they work for a restaurant supplier and a big customer backed out, so they can sell steak very cheaply.

I wonder how much of this recalled meat winds up in the black market, either through employees reselling it, or dumpster divers freezing it and then selling it at flea markets.

• penuspenuspenus says:

That reminds me of something that happened a few months ago. Sitting at a cigar bar minding my own business when this guy taps me on the shoulder asking if I was interested in purchasing some meat. Thinking this was pretty damn weird, I asked him for some sort of sales sheet/credentials and he just went on about his 30lbs of meat he was selling super cheap and moved to the next patron.

I really hope this isn’t a common thing for the future.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

had one of those at my house recently. a teenaged boy in a uniform polo ringing the bell while some dude in sunglasses was smoking creepily [as a smoker, i don't think all smoking is creepy, just this guy] and watching the teenager try to sell me “rapidly defrosting steaks that we need to get rid of cheap”
      i really wanted to ask him if he was being abused and then critique his sales technique and give him tips. instead i just said ‘no thanks’ and closed the door

8. Mr_D says:

Southside Market… in Elgin… Texas?

9. HomerSimpson says:

Nothing to fear, folks. They’ll just mix in some pink slime and everything will be A-OK.

10. wryknow says:

oh crapola. We totally buy & eat this sausage on a regular basis. Mostly because Southside Market BBQ is one of our favorite places, but we just don’t get up to Elgin often enough.

Now I gotta schlep out to the deep freeze & check my packages.