Worst Company In America Sweet 16: Bank Of America Vs. Citi

A perennial Golden Poo favorite slips into a red, white and blue unitard and struts into the WCIA Rollerball arena to the strains of Hulk Hogan’s “Real American,” thinking this is the year they win it all… Well, not if a scrappy underdog from New York City has anything to say about it.

Technically speaking, BofA did win the Golden Poo a few years back, but only because it had become the parent company of the spectacularly toxic Countrywide Financial. Since then, the bank seems to have made it clear that it wants the WCIA championship title, but has had to live with last year’s Silver Poo for its by-a-nose-hair loss to BP in the Final Death Match.

So far so good, for BofA in WCIA 2012. It beat the living crud out of Chase in Round One and then attempted to foreclose on the knocked-out, barely breathing body. So even though it is not the largest bank in the country anymore, BofA is still the favorite among this tournament’s financial fighters.

However, Bank of America’s road to Poo-ville is currently being blocked by Citi, which pulled off a minor upset by handily beating the heavy favorite Wells Fargo in Round One.

If enough of the 360,000 Citi customers whose card accounts were violated make an effort to rustle up votes, we could have a fight worth watching here.

So break out the vuvuzelas — and then throw them in the trash before you vote. This is Worst Company In America, where no contest ends in penalty kicks.

(Voting on this poll will close at 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, March 23.)

This is a post in our Worst Company In America 2012 series. The companies competing for this honor were chosen by you, the readers. See the entire WCIA 2012 bracket and schedule of match-ups HERE.

Comments

1. Gardius says:

BofA. This isn’t even going to be close…

2. MerlynNY says:

No doubts here. BOA for the win.

3. May contain snark says:

BOA. All the way.

4. katarzyna says:

Yeah, BoA is pretty much the #1 seed this year.

5. SerenityDan says:

Congrats on your free pass out of the competition Citi.

6. chemmy says:

I already know this will be a landslide. Now that I’ve voted against them, please don’t let BofA foreclose on my current mortgage by accident.

7. PencilSharp says:

Hmph. BoA, easy. Lousy SOBs own our mortgage (after it was passed around like a drunk co-ed at a football team’s after-prom), so the Beloved Wife has lived in fear of undeserved foreclosure for the last two years. Oh, we are paying on time, but since when has that mattered to BoA?

• Free Legal Advice! says:

I thought Bank of America owning our mortgage was the absolute worst thing that could ever happen, then they sold it to Green Tree. They are the absolute worst loan shark, bottom feeders I have ever encountered. Google “Green Tree” and see what I mean.

BoA, please take me back! I always paid on time!

8. Necoras says:

BOA steals people’s houses. Not a house, but many. They win.

9. Rexy on a rampage says:

BofA wins easily. Now if only Citi would stop spamming me…

10. BrownLeopard says:

Wow, lightsaber fight!

11. Free Legal Advice! says:

I actually like Citi. They have my law school loans and have agreed to deferment (reduced payments) every time I’ve asked. The call centers are based in this country and the people were pleasant to work with.

12. JLyles says:

It’s Definitly Citi but the misuse and mismanagement by B of A of itself is more public. There are a few things about Citi not widely known

13. GoJints says:

BoA. They screwed up my mother’s account after she died. When I closed the account, with all the proper paperwork, they then started sending me collection notices because there was a ‘negative balance’ in the account. The negative balance was caused because they didn’t send the 0.26 interest the account got 3 days after I closed it. As the account was below their minimum balance, they chaged a fee. When I went in to complain, I was told I should have come in after a few days to make sure the account was clear. Really? They couldn’t just send it to me or notify me?

As we went up to the window to get the mess straightened out, the rep said, I understand how you can be upset; my mother just died. While I know it wasn’t polite – I replied “I hope she didn’t have a BoA account.”

14. BackInBlack says:

Oh, BOA by a furlong in this race. These are the folks that wouldn’t accept a POA and dragged my 90-something mother with renal failure out of her nursing home in a wheelchair to physically visit their bank in order to close a safe deposit box. Also was nearly impossible to get her checking account closed via POA. Their excuse? “People abuse POAs.” Well sure they do but it’s a legal document with the force of law. Police sometimes abuse people too, but if that light and siren come on, you’d better pull over. But not BOA; they’re above the law.

I actually LIKE Citibank OK, at least I always got top-notch service for their AAdvantage Card I had years ago (although I’ll admit to taking a raping in annual fees and high interest).

But BoA I think is an acronym for “Band of A$$holes.”

15. thomwithanh says:

Skank of America vs. Shittibank

16. Onesnap says:

Citi raised my 3% card to 13% and blamed the economy. I’m a great customer. I always pay more than the minimum balance (sorry, paid for my entire 4 years of grad school with this damn card). My credit rating is stellar. This card lives in a drawer. Citi did the same thing to several friend’s corporate cards (they own small businesses) so it was not just individual consumers.

17. ThinkingBrian says:

Bank of America is going to win this years worst company in my opinion.

18. Consumed says:

I had to fly back across the country to close my father’s bank account because apparently Bank of America’s Branch managers haven’t been trained to close a deceased person’s account. As if they’ve never had a customer die in the last 120 years! I had the death certificate, the will, and the trust papers but they just couldn’t figure out how to close an account. AAAARRRGGHHHH!

19. A Feral Ginger says:

It seems to me like most of Citi’s problem stem from dumbassery and ineptitude, whereas BoA is just a straight up evil supervillain.

20. Finsternis says:

Four words: “Too Crooked To Fail”. Giving BoA a “golden poo” is like giving Hitler a mild scolding. As usual, Matt Taibbi gets it exactly right. Read it and weep:

21. xanadustc says:

I guess I understand, but I went with citi because they are just about as terrible as the BOA constrictor….but…citi has an associated MLM business!!! AHAHHH RUUNNNNNN