Peeved Mass Effect 3 Fans Might Actually Get The Ending They Want

For several years, a growing number of people have enjoyed beating the hell out of Geth, mastering head-shots on husks and trying to save the entire, expanding universe as Commander Shepherd in the Mass Effect series of video games. But without giving too much away, a lot of those same fans are not pleased with how the series finally wrapped up in Mass Effect 3.

There have been online petitions calling for new endings, at least one complaint to the FTC, and seemingly endless stories about whether or not the game’s maker, BioWare (owned by current WCIA contender Electronic Arts), should give into fan pressure, especially considering the huge cost and time it would take to get it right — and the risk that whatever BioWare comes up with might still not please everyone.

Now the founder of BioWare has hinted that maybe the angry mob might get some sort of more satisfying with upcoming add-on content for the game.

Here’s the statement from BioWare’s Ray Muzyka, as quoted on cnet:

“We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.”

Muzyka suggested that BioWare will release new “content initiatives” that will “help answer [fans'] questions” sometime in April. But first, he asked the game’s community to continue playing, and providing feedback. “I’d ask that you help us…by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it, and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damnedest, as always, to address your feedback.”

So… this appears to be a non-committal commitment to doing something in response to fan feedback.

What is for certain is if BioWare and EA truly want the entire gaming world to hate them, they will create satisfying endings — and then charge a pile of cash to download it.

Bowing to fans, BioWare mulls new Mass Effect 3 ending [cnet]

Comments

1. Preyfar says:

And ironically, I see people raging left and right that Bioware may be changing the ending. My friends lists were ablaze last night. Some accused EA of abandoning artistic integrity, others for “caving” to the fans.

Gamers are a fickle bunch. We hate companies when they don’t listen to us… and loathe them when they do. I’m glad they’re listening, and hope they expand/revise the ending well.

As for the lack of female Turians? They’re like pigeon babies. Has anybody ever seen a pigeon nest? An egg? No. But they’re out there… somewhere.

• Invader Zim says:

I dont know anyone who played it and beat it that “liked” the ending. I just hear them complaining that the ending sucked. For me thats four out of four people.

• tsukiotoshi says:

I know one person who claimed to like it, but when we got discussing it found we both agreed on a number of problems with it. I

• Jawaka says:

I kind of agree with the artistic integrity argument. People have argued for ages that video games should be considered art. Well different people have different opinion of what makes good art. You don’t ask an artist to change his painting if you didn’t like it.

• Terron says:

I liked it, so there’s 4 out of 5.

Everybody I’ve talked to who has beaten it (3 of my friends) has liked the ending, though they aren’t the type of people to play the ending 3 times to get each different one so they never saw the overlap.

• Zernhelt says:

I haven’t beaten it yet, but from what I’ve heard, the major problem is that at the end of the game, you make a decision between three options. No matter which option you pick, the outcome of the game is identical, except for the color of some ball that’s involved.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

The ending was not art. It was a rushed, poorly-planned attempt to “revise” the ending after the script for the game was leaked in late 2011. The rest of it was gorgeously-crafted, with a huge attention to detail and narrative integrity.

If Michaelangelo had decided that he wanted to finish the last part of the Sistine Chapel by giving a set of crayons to his neighbor and sending them up the scaffolding, do you think that would have been satisfactory?

• dangermike says:

The ending as it was in the delivered product was not art. It paid no heed to continuity, plot, or theme.

[possible spoilers ahead]

It would be like Frodo reaching the base of Mt Doom, being asked by smeagol whether he’d like to keep the ring and become one with Sauron, throw the ring in like he’s been supposed to do, or — assuming he’d adventured well enough — to merge all the middle earth kingdoms’ peoples with the immortal spirits, and then no matter what the choice, virtually all of the known kingdoms are destroyed and the characters you’ve been following — no matter where they were when the choice was made — are shown running in futility from the devastation, only to emerge on some desert island on which they will almost surely starve. And all the armies that came to fight the witch king are presumably stranded permanently at Minas Tirith.

2. baineschile says:

And I am sure we will have to pay for the new ending. I hate these people. They used to give out DLC to keep the game interesting, and give back to the fans, but now its strictly a revenue stream. Same day release DLC? They got my vote for worst company in america.

• homehome says:

Actually they’ve already stated that more than likely it would be free. They’ve release free upgrades and dlc in their previous games as well. Let’s not jump the gun before we even see the details. Let them actually try to fix the problem before we start claiming how bad they are, ppl complained and they are trying to fix the problem, give them some credit. And plus, these games aren’t free to make and it’s optional, so let’s not act like you’re being forced into downloading it.

• baineschile says:

Sorry, but when I got pitched the same day DLC for another $10, plus the extra $60 that the COD world charges for early maps, I get a little peeved. I havent seen free DLC in the last few years from any other company except valve.

• homehome says:

Did they make you buy it? No. Check me2 they have free dlc on there. That game came out in 2008. It’s just crazy ppl are mad ppl are charging for their work. Ppl ask for extras, but then don’t want to pay for it, like the guys and gals doing all of this work is doing it for charity. I don’t understand.

• DarthCoven says:

ME2′s free DLC was available day one with a code if you bought the game brand new.

ME3′s day one DLC was ten bucks, and was the same as ME2′s (an extra character plus a side mission)

• homehome says:

I got two different sets of missions that I did not pay on me2 when I bought it. I bought it last year though, may have been why, but they both were still optional. Like I said ppl should be pai for their work, I have no problem with that.

• baineschile says:

No, I wasnt forced to purchase it. But its not like they did extra work. All the code was written, and ready day of; and they wanted extra money on top of the $60 i am already dropping for the game.

Look, if they did some extra work a few months after the games released, and really expanded the universe (ala WOW) then yes, Ill pay for it. But to have planned DLC, THE DAY THE GAME COMES OUT, is silly; especially since its only 2 extra missions, and one character.

• 8bithero says:

That is why Valve is seen, almost universally, as the best game producers in the world. They seem to actually care about their product and their customers. That keeps their coffers full as players know that they will get a quality product, and if it’s not a quality product, Valve WILL set it right.

For free.

3. UniversalRemonster! says:

The game itself was great, the storyline was fantastic. That is, up until the last 20 minutes or so where all the progress and decisions you made over MS1, 2 and into 3 are thrown out the window. The 5+ endings themselves are nearly identical (different color explosions, slightly different final 6 seconds of ending), which was extremely dissapointing, there is very little reason to play through with another character/style only to be dissapointed again.

• homehome says:

I’m gonna play through again regardless, I haven’t gotten to the end but even if it’s as bad as ppl make it out to be (which I doubt, because ppl are emotional and always over the top, especially gamers) I’m still gonna start from me1 create a new character and have a completely different gaming experience.

• LadyTL says:

That’s great and you will have a completely different experience up until the end when you will be forced into the exact same poorly written ending that everyone else got at the end of Mass Effect 3. Because the ending of Mass Effect 3 is the exact same no matter what any of your choices were over the entire series.

• homehome says:

And I’m okay with that, and by then they will be finished with the new ending, so either way it’s gonna be good for me. I’m going to go with the original ending just to see it. I just want to see with me making different decisions how it will effect the day to day game.

• ARP says:

I don’t agree with the FTC complaint, but I do agree that the game is a bit misleading. We’re constantly told by the game and EA marketing materials that our past decisions, status, etc. impact the outcome of the game. So, to suddenly funnel all the endings into the same template goes against the spirit and their promotion of the game.

4. scurvycapn says:

What, did it not contain enough of the typical Bioware misogyny or something? Too few conversational shots from behind a female’s behind?

But seriously, a complaint to the FTC? What’s next? Murder charges against George Lucas for destroying our childhoods with his updates to the Star Wars franchise?

• Laura Northrup says:

Who’s with me for a class-action suit against the producers of “Lost”?

• Sanspants says:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I think Lost’s ending was fine. I feel the final season was somewhat anti-climactic after (what I thought) was a great fifth season, but I have no problem with the end of the series.

• RedOryx says:

I won $20 on a bet regarding the final shot of “Lost.” I’m in no position to complain about it.

• nishioka says:

I have to admit, EDI’s cameltoe was mighty compelling.

5. Cat says:

Mass Effect 3 gamers, are you looking for a happy ending?

Lots of luck getting a “happy ending” living in your Mom’s basement…

• Invader Zim says:

Thanks for sending us into the wonder world of misinformed stereo types.

• 8bithero says:

I see you have revealed your alter ego to be Hyperbole Man! I hope you and Straw Man can come together to support The League of Stereotypes!

• Cat says:

The League of Stereotypes? Is that a comic book? I don’t know much about comic books, I don’t live with my Mom.

//Yes, that /s. It’s all //s.

6. StarKillerX says:

Good so many people go about their life just looking for something to upset them, I’m only about 75% of the way done with ME3, so I don’t know what the ending it, but it seems to me that this is simply another case of whiney people needing to shut their mouths and get on with their lives.

It’s ironic that many of the people I know who are calling for a rewritten ending are the same ones who bash George Lucas for changing Star Wars because he’s changing the original.

• nishioka says:

> Are there “hard” moments in the game? Sure there are times when I wouldn’t consider any of options available to me as being desirable, but then again that’s how things are in life at times.

Yes… the mission on Sur’Kesh… I won’t say anything, but I went all renegade my first play through. How that mission ended up really provoked the “I can’t believe I just did that” sort of feeling you get when you know you’ve fucked up bigtime.

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah, i couple moments stopped me in my tracks when they occured, which really shows how well the game draws you in (or at least me.)

• Sandstar says:

In other words: “I haven’t finished the game, so I don’t know what everyone’s upset about, but I’ll just asssume they’re whiny jerks.” I’m glad your knowledge of the ending is better than mine. I only finished the game, what do I know about how it ends, right?

• tsukiotoshi says:

I said pretty much this same thing until I finished it. Then it was an “Ooohhhhh, I get it now” moment, even if I think the vitriol has been excessive and beyond what was necessary. I don’t like the ending but I also don’t think Bioware should change it unless they always had planned on adding more. No do overs, this is it!

7. mantari says:

To get the feel of how bad it is, watch THIS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

Mass Effect has been about decisions and consequences. They messed up the ending. It doesn’t matter if you played all three games in the worst possible way or you did everything right. It doesn’t matter if you played good or evil. The ending got a low-budget treatment with little dialog and the same reused footage with different colors.

8. PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

Been too busy the past two weeks to really play ME3 and am only 10 hours in, so I have been trying to avoid any news on this.

However, I was listening to the Weekend Confirmed podcast from last week and they were talking about the group of users that started an online partition for Bioware to change the ending. The neat thing is that to sign the petition, one had to make a donation to Child’s Play. It’s http://retakemasseffect.chipin.com/retake-mass-effect-childs-play and is already over $78,000. (Be careful on that link – there may be spoilers.)

Yeah, most online petitions are worthless and people whine on the internet – but it’s nice to see those two things come together and do something good.

• StarKillerX says:

I love Child’s Play, I stated giving to them the when it first started. It’s one of the few charities I still give to since not only is it an great cause but I also like the whole Amazon wishlist donation method they added several years back since you know that your donation is going to what you want it to at the hospital of your choice, as opposed to being used for overhead at the charity or for a different purpose at the hospital itself.

9. zegota says:

I loved the ending, and I think most of the gaming community are entitled whiners.

• Total Casual says:

Me too. It kept the Reapers as an enemy undefeatable by conventional means, while giving *some* way to beat them.

I didn’t get the high-preparation-points ending however, so I didn’t get to see the bizarre ‘Synthesis’ ending, where suddenly the Citadel is able to cast a magic spell that turns everyone into cyborgs… WTF. I would have been pissed if I’d seen that.

• Hungry Dog says:

There is no magic in Mass Effect, they merely cast a heightened Mass Effect field that turns everyone into a cyborg. The Mass Effect field also allows everyone in the universe to speak and understand English flawlessly.

• Gruppa says:

You mean whiners that wanted Bioware to keep their promises? Yeah that’s such a horrible thing. ME fans were “promised” that the choices made in all 3 games would have dramatically different endings, which is an outright lie. No matter how you play the game the only difference at the end are the color of the explosions. The players were told something different, so shame on them for believing the hype?

• StarKillerX says:

Actually you can remove gamers from your comment and just say most people are entitled whiners.

10. MonkeyMonk says:

Can we get a new ending for the film The Grey too?

That would be awesome though. Audience voted endings. Leave your artistic integrity at the door!

• Mambru says:

Well isn’t why we have screeners and test audiences before a movie is released? so they can tweak endings and part of the story? I haven’t played ME3 but I think they should keep the ending as is before they start charging for more DLC jsut to accomodate people’s needs, which by the way are the same people complaining about too much DLC on a game

11. dolemite says:

I read about this yesterday and since I don’t really care since this is Origin only, and I’m not buying it (despite buying 1 and 2), I spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out what the ending is exactly. Every story was: “we don’t want to include spoilers”, so I have no idea. I might pick it up for Xbox when it’s $19.99, but I’m not installing Origin.

• dangermike says:

Since you seem to be asking, I’ll briefly synopsize:

[spoiler alert. duh]

The final DLC mission for ME2 saw Shepherd crashing an asteroid into the Alpha relay in Batarian space in response to the information that the Reapers were due to arrive in a matter of days or hours. He did so to buy the galaxy a few months more time to prepare but at the cost of over 300,000 innocent lives of the Batarian colonists in the system. He surrendered to the Alliance and was brought back to Earth to be put up on charges for what most of the galaxy viewed as a terrorist operation by a Cerberus affiliate. His political ties kept him out of prison but was discharged from the military.

When ME3 opens, he is called to Alliance HQ by Anderson. Colonies are going dark and readings of a large fleet approaching Earth appear to be the reaper threat he has been tryign to warn about. He is to speak to the Alliance Parliament about how to fight and deflect the threat when the Reapers make earthfall. He and Anderson are the only survivors from the hearing chambers. They make their way through destroyed cityscapes to meet back up with the Normandy, which has been claimed by Alliance and recommissioned command frigate. Shepherd is reinstated by Anderson (now the highest ranking Alliance officer on Earth) and is given the mission to seek Citadel Council reinforcements. At the final evac, Shepherd sees two shuttles being boarded by civilians, including a small boy he saw in a vent earlier, and watches helplessly as they they are destroyed by the reapers. After key plot points, Shepherd’s dreams are haunted by the boy’s image, always ending with the boy in flames just before waking up.

While fleeing Earth, Admiral Hackett reaches Shepherd on a comm link with news that vital information regarding a prothean superweapon is contained in the archives on Mars and sends him to collect the plans for the device, which becomes known as the Crucible. Most of the game consists of travelling the known stars to secure assets to assist in its construction or provide military power for the final invasion. When nearly complete, It is found that the Crucible needs something called the Catalyst to operate. Late in the game, it is discovered the Catalyst is aboard the Citadel, and the Citadel has been moved to Earth orbit where reaper forces have established a tightbeam conduit through which humans are being transmitted to the Citadel. It is never explained, but it is presumed to be a functioning in a similar capacity as ME2′s Collector base. The Citadel is operating in a closed state so the only way aboard is through the tight beam. The amassed fleets must then confront the reaper fleets, land a team on earth to to try to take the conduit, and once the citadel is opened, dock the Crucible to it and hope that the ground team can activate it.

[biggest spoilers below]

After a harrowing battle culminating in the destruction of a reaper destroyer (a 500 foot tall walking mech equipped with lasers like soverign’s), the way to the conduit is finally cleared. However, as the way opens up and remaining forces begin their charge, Harbinger lands. He is 4-5 times larger than the destroyer and is able to wipe out the few operatives attempting the charge, including Shepherd. When all looks lost, and as comms chatter is announcing the failure of the ground assault and the world fading black, a critical injured Shepherd staggers to feet, armor destroyed and equipped only with a pistol. He is able to muster just enough strength to fight off a few husks and limp into the tightbeam.

He arrives aboard the citadel to find that Anderson has also made it, and is a few dozen yards ahead. Keepers appear to be harvesting human bodies. Eventually, Shepherd reaches Anderson in Citadel control room. They have a conversation and are joined by the Illusive Man, who is now barely recognizable with extensive cybernetic implants. The illusive man tries to convince Shepherd that mankind can control the reapers, and should do so to establish their prominence in the galaxy. The illusive man control Sheperd’s mind and body in a way that causes him to shoot Anderson in the gut and depending on prior decisions, will somehow end up getting shot and killed by Shepherd or by his own hand. Anderson insists they must be destroyed, to end their slaughter once and for all. Shepherd opens the Citadel allowing Hackett’s forces to escort the Crucible into place. As it docks, Anderson and Shepherd have one final conversation before Anderson succumbs to his wounds. On the edge of consciousness, Shepherd hears Hackett’s comm that nothing is happening. He staggers to the control panel but passes out.

A panel rises from the floor carrying Sheperd up to some unknown location where he sees the energy beam that transported him to the citadel relaying between the citadel and crucible. A ethereal image of the dead boy from his dreams appears to greet him and identifies itself as the Catalyst. It claims to be one with the reapers, each of which is a sentient organic machine made from the remnants of the genetic material of previously reaped species. It describes the cycles as order imposed upon a chaotic state, that left unchecked, organic life creates synthetic life which then goes on to destroy organic life, and that the synthetic life eventually creates organic life which will in turn destroy synthetic life. The solution is the order craeted by the reapers, which destroy all advanced organic life every 50,000 years, at a point where it is too young to have brought about synthetic life. It spares races that have not reached a certain point of advancement. It presents Shepherd with three options: destroy the reapers, control the reapers, or if the galactic preparedness level is high enough, it says the crucible has opened up a new functionality in which organic and synthetic life can be merged into a new hybrid DNA. Controlling them will bring the cycle to an end, killing all advanced organics, merging Shepherd’s personality into the Reapers, and destroying the mass relays. Destroying the reapers will destroy all synthetic life, including the geth, destroy the reapers, the citadel, and the mass relays, spare organic life as it exists, but doom them to eventually be destroyed by their inventions. Merging will also destroy the relays but bring the galaxy together in some kind of cyborgian age of aquarius.

No matter what the choice, Shepherd is destroyed and a scene is played depicting the firing of the crucible and destruction of the relays. The Normandy is seen fleeing from the shockwave (which takes several seconds to reach earth from but overtakes the galaxy at about the same rate). The Normandy appears to be travelling at high FTL speeds when the shockwave overtakes it, causing critical damage. The scene cuts to the Normandy wrecked on a jungle planet, with Joker, Shepherd’s love interest, and the most used squadmate exiting to survey. A brief epilogue of a distant future boy being told the legend of Shepherd by his grandfather plays, and if the player chose “destroy” and had a high enough readiness rating, a brief glimpse of Shepherd’s body in rubble is displayed gasping a breath back to life.

And that’s about it. The main gripes are the lack of epilogue, the lapse in continuity as the normandy and shepherd’s squad which were last seen earth-side are suddenly in space and fleeing the shockwave (and in some cases, seen lying dead on ground after Harbinger’s attack), and the fact that no matter which ending is chosen, the massed fleets are basically stranded in sol and/or the galaxy is set up for a massive dark age as the various stranded colonists and military forces would require centuries to trek home. Earth stands smoldering with the only image of the future being on the crash planet. The “winning” ending of merging is completely hokey in concept and execution. The only differences between the three choices are the color of the shockwave (and whether we see a 3 second gasp from a presumed dead Shepherd). The stories of his crewmates are never fleshed out. We never see and grieving or mourning. The promises between shepherd and his love interest go undelivered and are never dwelled upon. All of Shepherd’s choices (curing the genophage, sparing the rachni, freeing or destroying the geth, stopping Cerberus’s experiements, bringing the quarians home, etc. or their evil analogues) are basically made inconsequential since every ending destroys galactic civilization as it has been known. The various homeworlds and colonies are basically in flames (odd, considering the span of the game was weeks or maybe months, and the reaping of earth was said to require a few decades but seems to be more or less in its final stages by endgame, in contrast to the 3 centuries the protheans held out) cultures and civilizations are wiped out and the story is left largely unclosed.

That said, the game is fun to play. Some of the missions are completely epic and the character swe meet are generally well drafted. The interpersonal relationships are believable and compelling. But the twist in the end is a huge nonsequitur and the lack of any followup to the stories that were developed was a huge let down. It just kind of comes as a shock and ends up sullying what was otherwise a brilliant masterpiece.

12. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I’m a huge gamer. Although for the past few years that’s pretty much just been WoW.

…but this is ridiculous. Are we actually so self-righteous that we think we can demand the ending we want for a video game? What a whackload of pompously entitled whiners.

A story is a story – whether it’s a book, a movie, or a video game. You don’t like the way the story ended? Too bad – that’s the way the author wrote it.

I was really peeved back in the day playing Phantasy Star II when they make Nei die…and there’s nothing you can do about it. Everybody I knew was pissed about that…but that’s the way the game was…we didn’t get all uppity about it and demand that the publisher change the story because we wanted Nei to live.

Pathetic.

• Sandstar says:

I paid for the game, I get to have a good ending. Not a happy ending, but a good one. The one we got was crap.

• dangermike says:

It’s not so much that people are demanding “the ending they want” nearly as much as it is that they want an ending period. They’re looking for some cogent wrap up to the story they’ve been immersing themselves in for the past few years. I posted an analogy to lord of the rings earlier. Here’s a similar but different one. Frodo reaches mount doom. Smeagol pushes him in. A magical explosion erupts. Cut to Minas Tirith. The explosion engulfs the warring armies. All the orcs fall over dead. Aragorn is in on an eagle fleeing the wave. The wave overtakes him and the eagle lands hard on a desert aisle. Samwise climbs off the eagle. Credits roll. The end. But of course, to complain about the utter nonsense of it is to be a bitchy, entitled whiner. Sure.

• Megalomania says:

people aren’t pissed that the ending is ‘sad’ or some shit, they’re pissed that it makes no damn sense, resolves no plot lines, and is 100% not what was promised for years. They made a huge deal about how wildly divergent the third game was going to be based on what you’d done and chose, and the big payoff is changing the color in a cutscene.

13. Cicadymn says:

inb4 an ending less terrible but still not good is released and costs $15

Bioware used to be a great innovative and creative company. Then EA bought them. Now their games have been lowered to the lowest common denominator, the writing ruined, the stories ruined, previous choices which used to mean everything mean nothing, and you end up with the same ending no matter how you play the game.

• nishioka says:

> It’s like a railroad track, at the beginning it shoots off in different directions and you choose which one you want to go down, but when you reach the end you see the opposite, all the rails running into one.

And the problem with that is…?

The story Bioware is telling will always start with Shepard’s Spectre candidacy and end with Shepard stopping the Reapers once and for all. That was the intent from the get-go. They’re letting you decide how to get there. Kill Fist or let him live. Save the Citadel Council or don’t. Keep Maelon’s genophage research or destroy it. Choose Samara or Morinth. Be a face or a heel.

That’s a lot more freedom than you get from any book (except those “Choose Your Own Adventure” books), any TV show, any movie, or most other video games.

• WalterSinister2 says:

I disagree about Bioware having been totally corrupted. Up until the last 5 minutes, this was the best game of the series. Not everything during it was happy, but it was perfect, the sacrifices and choices made sense and had positive and negative consequences. Then they slapped on a 5 minute ending that makes everything you’ve done up until then in the past 3 games moot. Moot within the narrative itself that is, IRL everything you do in a video game is moot anyway. That’s not even mentioning the giant plot holes opened in the ending, or the cheap, slapdash feel of it. Or the fact that the “blue explosion” ending was apparently supposed to be different (no explosion) since they cut away before the big explosion, but were too lazy to change anything else or even redo the cinematic, so you do see just a second of the explosion starting.

14. Hungry Dog says:

The thing about the game is how open it is to choices. I can have a conversation about my experience and everyone else has a different view since different support characters get killed in the first through second game. Depending on your karma you get options to fulfill during conversations. The ending is the same regardless of choice, all you are rewarding with through separate playthroughs is a different color.

• homehome says:

Well even with that, that’s life. In life you can make a better decisions that doesn’t mean the ending is going to be different, it just means you made a different decision. Why do ppl think making a different decision changes the outcome?

• Arcaeris says:

• nishioka says:

> Because in a well-designed system, different inputs lead to different outputs. The other two games had this, why not the third?

That’s a tough battle to fight because the inputs from Mass Effect 1 don’t manifest themselves as outputs until Mass Effect 2, and the inputs from Mass Effect 2 don’t manifest themselves as outputs until Mass Effect 3.

You don’t see how the Citadel races react to your decision to save or sacrifice the Council until you get back to the Citadel in Mass Effect 2. Your decision to help Captain Kirrahe on Virmire actually doesn’t result in output until Mass Effect 3. Deciding not to liquefy the Rachni Queen on Noveria actually pays off in Mass Effect 2 and 3.

The inputs in Mass Effect 3 have to lead to outputs in Mass Effect 3 because there will be no Mass Effect 4. That’s why all the important stuff ultimately just gets scored as a couple of points’ worth of war assets. You can’t delay the payoff anymore, and you still have to stick to how you intended for the story to end.

15. BigDragon says:

Genius plan isn’t it? Release game before it’s finished based on some deadline created years ago. Take all sorts of shortcuts to get the basic minimum working. Then charge players extra money to finish the game properly. A $60 game suddenly becomes $100+. Instant profit for EA, and by acquiring developers in a manner that preserves their name the blame for these shenanigans goes to the developer and not so much the parent company. Easy money.

There’s a reason why a bunch of Bioware people quit and formed their own company. This happens to every company EA acquires. Stop kidding yourself by thinking the new endings will be free. There have been a lot of comments from EA and Bioware lately, and not one of them has been apologetic or indicated new endings would be free.

16. VectorVictor says:

Pure anecdotal evidence, but what I’ve seen in discussions is that the people who object to the ending are the fans that have played through the whole series, or at least imported from ME2.

Gamers that just dropped in on ME3 and didn’t play 1 or 2 (for shame…) typically accept the endings.

Just saying this is what I’ve seen, generally, on the interwebs–strength in fan objection to the ending is typically magnified by the amount of time spent with the series as a whole.

*Spoilers*

And a side note–when people are saying this is a horrible ending, it’s not because they want a Hollywood/happy/blue asari baby ending. It’s because the ending left more plot holes and overwrote more series canon story than the last episode of Lost, especially if you’ve been playing the series since ME1.

No closure on your colleagues–are they dead? What about that huge ass space fleet around Earth? There’s no relays, and FTL will take them multiple earth years to slog back to their own areas of the galaxy, especially the Quarians. And the dextro-based lifeforms–they have no food, except for what’s on their ships, so they starve to death.

And this problem is magnified with the ‘Garden of Eden 2.0′ crash landing of the Normandy–I guess the crew just sits around and watches Garrus and Tali die of starvation while Edi and Joker go hobble off into the multiple planet sunset?

And why the f*** is Buzz Aldrin telling a kid a long-ass story in the middle of an open field, at night, in the middle of what appears to be winter? Did this Grandpa get hopped up on Red Sand and DayQuil and thought it would be a good idea to give their young grandchild pneumonia while telling them about the savior of the galaxy?

Seriously, I question the mental faculties of anyone that thought this was a sufficient ending to the series. WTF indeed.

/end rant

• nishioka says:

I’d actually rather they not resolve every plot hole. Do you really want to find out if Joker and EDI make cyberbabies in the Synthesis ending? That’s the sort of Disney shit that would ruin it for me.

17. t0ast says:

Since it doesn’t look like the Indoctrination Theory hasn’t been mentioned here yet, here’s something to mull over:

(spoilers)

Granted, it’s pure speculation, but a pretty neat interpretation of the endings that would make them considerably better as they stand today.

That aside, I’m not too upset with the ending as it is. We know just about all of what should be going on, but the manner in which it is presented when it actually happens. feels underwhelming, incomplete, and slightly confusing.

18. Outrun1986 says:

I think the issue here is they promised something and then did not deliver, if they had not promised multiple endings based on your choices from the first 2 games then I don’t think there would have ever been a problem here. Its not demanding the ending you want to hear, its about not getting something that was promised.

Looks like I will be looking up the ending on youtube after I play Mass Effect 2 instead of actually buying 3, since 3 sounds like a waste of my time and money.

Though I would like to see Nintendo get dogged at some point for not delivering on a promise, because they have done it oh so many times.