Bragging On The Radio About How You Lied To Get Out Of Jury Duty Is A Bad Idea

Yapping about how you lied to get out of anything mandatory is always a bad idea if you don’t want to get caught, but doing it publicly over the airwaves to crow over how you got out of jury duty? That’s just begging for trouble, as a woman in Denver found out recently.

The Denver Post says the dishonest citizen dressed up as crazy as she could to appear for her jury duty summon: “Her hair hung askew in curlers. Her shoes and reindeer socks mismatched. Heavy makeup was smeared on her face.”

She claimed she had post-traumatic stress disorder and said she had broken out of “domestic violence in the military” and had a lot of repercussions. The judge quickly dismissed her.

Cut to a month later, and she’s facing felony charges of perjury and attempting to influence a public servant, after allegedly yakking about her stunt on a radio program. The judge who had dismissed her just happened to be tuned in that day.

On air, she apparently related how she’d shown up disheveled to appear mentally ill, and talked about how she told the story to clients at her business and they all thought it was funny. Investigators quickly found her after the program aired.

*Thanks for the tip, Howard!

Juror who lied to get out of duty arrested after bragging about it months later on talk radio [Denver Post]

Comments

1. HowardRoarksTSquare says:

Thanks,

This consumer advocacy will keep me informed on my rights as a consumer as it pertains to jury-duty related issues. I can buy things at jury duty? Right? Because this is a consumer issue??

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Consumer (/k…ônÀàsoÕûom…ôr/) – Noun: A person who purchases goods and services.

One could argue that the legal system is a ‘service’ rendered by the government to protect your safety and well-being.

Jus’ saiyan.

• u1itn0w2day says:

This is a consumer issue because your tax dollars pay for court system including judges and jurors. Your tax dollars pay the legislatures that make the laws regarding jury duty. Tax payers are consumers too.

• JennQPublic says:

You’re right, this is a travesty! You should start your own consumer-oriented website! You go get started on that, we’ll all be right over to join you.

You know, since it sounds like you have so much to contribute to the conversation…

• jefeloco says:

Have you ever heard of a “human interest” or “fun” piece? That’s what this is, no need to get bent over it.

Please remember that this is a blog run by a small set of individuals, it therefore has its quirks.

• Free Legal Advice! says:

Have you ever heard of the phrase, “your tax dollars at work”?

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Is that like when you buy something duty free?

• kc2idf says:

Nobody made you click the headline. No interest? Don’t click.

Seriously, you remind me of those people who go around in the world looking for reasons to be offended.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Thanks,

THIS bit of snark has made me aware that this story is not a consumer issue. I could not have figured that out and made a judgement about it on my own. Without you, I might not have realized that, at least once a week, someone makes this exact same comment. Right? Because without you there’s no way anyone would have realized this?

• daynight says:

Is it really this type of vacuous comment that you want to be known for for your 15 seconds of fame? A bit more thought and i am sure you could have come up with something people would appreciate reading.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

THIS ARTICLE HAS A PICTURE OF TINA FEY AS PRINCESS LEIA

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

2. IphtashuFitz says:

I’m no longer shocked at how downright STUPID so many people are…

3. AtlantaCPA says:

I may be a bad person for saying this but it makes me so happy she got caught by yapping about it. Now I want to know what her punishment will be. True justice would be 5 years of continuous Jury duty going from one case to another. Then again I’m not sure I’d want her on my jury but it seems like a good punishment!

• IphtashuFitz says:

Make her an alternate. Then she has to sit through all the proceedings and actually only gets to decide on a verdict if enough other jurors are dismissed for various reasons.

• JennQPublic says:

Don’t feel bad. What this woman did negatively impacts every honest citizen that actually does their duty. You know if she were ever charged with a crime, she would be screaming for a jury of her peers. Those people may have to miss work, money, or things in their personal lives, but she cheated to get out of the same thing.

It’s like people who cheat on their taxes. They are stealing from every honest citizen in our nation, but they feel no guilt over it. Assholes.

• yabdor says:

1 thing I’m not clear on. If she wasn’t under oath how can it be perjury? Also, people on the radio say untrue nonsense all the time. What’s to keep her from claiming the story she told on the radio was a lie to spice up the show? And if she’s arrested she can stand on her right to say nothing. The prosecution bears the burden of proof. How are they going to show the scenario isn’t exactly as I’ve outlined?

• FatLynn says:

You are under oath when they question you.

• yabdor says:

Then what reason would there be to administer an oath?

• FatLynn says:

I don’t understand what you are asking. When you are called into the court room, everyone in the pool of potential jurors is sworn in, and then the judge asks you questions about your background and ability to render an impartial verdict (voir dire). Statements given in this time are considered to be under oath.

• CubeRat says:

Having had the misforturne to be called (and have no reason to get out of it-except I don’t wanna do it). When you first walk in, the judge either instructs the potential jurors to be honest with their answers or has them take an oath. And, California at least, on the jury summons form that you have to sign has that “under penalty of perjury…” clause.

Besides, a judge can also nab you for contempt and you don’t get a trial. From the details above, it was the judge whose court she appeared in that heard her comments.

May she be forced to sit quietly in court (not as a juror) for at least 3 long cases as punishment.

• bluline says:

It’s a misfortune to be called? No, it’s a civic duty. If you were ever the defendant in a trial, you’d want a competent jury, wouldn’t you? One where all the people sitting in judgment of you didn’t resent being there? I know I would. And yes, I’ve served on a jury.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

They don’t have to prove beyond any doubt she is lying. They have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

So if they introduce a recording of the radio show as evidence, it’s up to the jury to decide if they have reasonable doubt after hearing the evidence.

They might. They might not.

• Not Given says:

They always swear them in before questioning

• Rocket80 says:

Compulsory jury duty is akin to slavery and overall a terrible idea. You really think forcing someone to be there who doesn’t want to be there is conducive to reaching fair verdicts?

Also, no crazy theatrics are needed – the phrase, “I fully support and endorse the doctrine of jury nullification” will get you out of any unwanted jury duty (it helps if you actually believe it).

• Firethorn says:

Ways I could, completely honestly, get out of 90% of jury duties:
        1. I believe in jury nullification
        2. I’ll never find somebody guilty solely for a drug offense
        3. Prostitution should be legal too while your at it. Did the hooker or john give the other a disease? No? Who cares?
        4. Some people just need shooting.
        5. Gang-bangers are irredeemable trash.
        etc…

So I can’t be on any drug trials, prostitution trials, or trials that might involve somebody that looks like they might be in a gang. On the other hand, I’m more likely to shut up to try to get on the jury.

• bluline says:

What about if you just wear a T-shirt with the word “GUILTY!” on it?

• Doubting thomas says:

akin to slavery? Really? Being asked to spend a day or two of your life serving your government at minimal recompensation, and in a duty that helps keep all of us safe and protect our liberties is equivalent to being kidnapped from your home, packed into the dark over stuffed hold of a ship and IF you survive the voyage being stripped naked, displayed in public and sold to the highest bidder who will own you and all your offspring forever?

• dks64 says:

I completely understand the need for jury duty, I just understand how hard it can be on someone financially. I don’t get compensated for my days at jury duty, so if I have a trial that lasts 2 weeks, I lose half of my income for the month, which means not enough money for rent, car insurance, gas, food, etc. I also don’t have a desk job, so taking days off last minute can really screw over my coworkers if they can’t fill my position (I work at a restaurant). I actually look forward to serving someday in the future when I have a career that pays me for jury duty. That would be awesome.

• Clyde Barrow says:

@Rocket80, you’re free to move to any place in the world. After six months, you’ll be begging to be on a jury. Join the Army and grow up.

• Finsternis says:

The only person I want on my jury less than a person who’s forced to be there is someone who really WANTS to be there.

Just like the presidency, the last person to get the job should be the person who wants it the most.

• blueman says:

Uh, most people on jury duty don’t really want to be there. Some do it out of civic duty, sure, but most are there because it’s the law.

4. thomwithanh says:

I think a vacation at Club Fed is in order…

• foodfeed says:

I don’t want to pay for her to shack up bad girls style. Impose a serious fine and leave her stupid bum on the streets.

5. u1itn0w2day says:

If somebody wants out of jury duty that bad I don’t want them on my jury.

• alana0j says:

I recently went in for jury selection. I got out of it simply by being a college student! I really did not want to do it either way, considering that I also have two jobs and the 11 bucks a day they pay for jury duty doesn’t hardly make up for missing work.

Funny story though. The woman behind me was talking shit about me. First about the fact that I showed up in shorts (I had to go straight to class afterward so I wasn’t about to get dressed up), then about my thigh tattoo, then stated that they would never choose me because I have piercings. Ignorance is a funny thing…they don’t not choose you due to piercings silly woman. They don’t choose people due to being judgemental bitches :)

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

According to our radio station (Denver) this will be the first case of prosecuting lying to get out of jury duty…ever. Not sure if they meant in Colorado or the U.S.

• axhandler1 says:

Sucks for her. For the first case ever, they might be inclined to make an example out of her and establish precedent.

• Murph1908 says:

They probably never had anyone so stupid as to confess to the judge before….and a million other people.

7. sirwired says:

I’ve never been able to figure out why people are so proud of being able to get out of jury duty. It’s a basic duty of being a citizen… if you absolutely can’t do it, fine. But it’s not funny, and certainly nothing to be proud of.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think people also don’t realize that they don’t have to act crazy to get dismissed. If you have strong feelings and/or opinions related to the outcome of the trial or opinions related to the justice system, you might not be selected anyway.

Neil Degrasse Tyson once talked about how he was called to jury duty and when they asked him what he did (astrophyicist), they asked him to elaborate on his current work and he said something along the lines of “publishing a study on the unreliability of eyewitness accounts” and they released him on the spot. He wasn’t lying; he was dismissed because the opinions he had did not make him an ideal and relatively unbiased candidate for the jury.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

Exactly. And the chances of actually being selected is very small. I was recently summoned and the pool was over 200 people, of which they picked 13. There isn’t much point trying to fight it. Just go and get it over with.

• qwickone says:

+1 I recently served jury duty and one person claimed to be a racist (the defendant appeared Mexican), and they released her. Also, I go paid $30 per day + lunch and I think I got the check immediately (Fairfax county, VA). It really wasn’t that bad, just boring.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I got a better one. The defendent was a black man, and one of the potential juries kept complaining that the system was biased and racist. The potential juror was an older black man.

The judge pointed out that by serving on the jury, he would be the only person there (only other lback person there) able to help improve the system by being the same race.

I think the guy just wanted to get out of it, but it was pretty hilarious the irony that he was putting himself into.

• FatLynn says:

I was dismissed because I am a student. I said I was missing important classes that I both attend and teach, and that was enough for the judge to let me go.

However, she kept people with some pretty extreme excuses, including one whose brother had been murdered, on a murder trial.

• econobiker says:

Jury two words will get you dismissed as quick as possible:

“jury nullification”

• necrosis says:

Unless your self employed.

The pathetic pay they give you (and give it to you MONTHS later) does not cover things.

• Sneeje says:

I’m with you. God help us all if we ever end up in a situation where we need a jury of our peers and it can only be filled with those too stupid to figure out how to get out of it.

• witeowl says:

Hmmm… Compared to a jury of jerks too selfish to willingly do their civic duty? I’m not sure what extreme is worse.

• Herbz says:

I think if they upped the pay to at LEAST minimum wage it would make things a lot better.
      $8 a day does not cut it.

It should be minimum wage * max 8 hours. so ~$58 a day.

• sirwired says:

They don’t pay you a wage, because it’s not a job, it’s part of being a citizen. Just like you don’t get paid for filing your own taxes, you don’t get paid more than a token amount to serve on a jury.

• caradrake says:

But aren’t you actually losing wages by not being at work? You don’t lose money when you take the time to sit down and file taxes (you may owe money, but the act of filing taxes doesn’t result in lost wages).

• Hi_Hello says:

i guess it depends…every place I”ve worked at will give my pay back if I give them my jury duty check.

• philpm says:

My employer doesn’t even do that. There’s a code for jury duty, and you still get to keep your pay for serving.

• exit322 says:

Same here, it was quite nice.

Too bad it was a financial fraud case and I’m a CPA, so I got thrown off the jury. But $60 plus travel for what amounted to 4 hours work (and my company paying my regular wage)…that was liveable.

• redskull says:

What about people who are self employed?

• RedOryx says:

I was actually kind of bummed when I was in the pool but everytime I called in was told I wasn’t needed. I really wanted to serve on a jury.

• witeowl says:

Yeah, it seems like the best way to get out of jury duty is to actually WANT to serve. I’ve been called twice but never served. Dammit.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

It’s because you have to miss work and most employers don’t pay for it. You get a pittance for doing it but if you’re lucky, it might pay for your gas. Most people can’t take a week or more off work for this. They might have a week of vacation for the whole year and no sick time, so if they use it for this, it’s blown.

They never pick you when you’re unemployed, seems like.

8. fatediesel says:

Learn from the Auburn tree poisoner, if you do a crime with no chance of getting caught, don’t brag about it on the radio.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

OMG yes. We just had a murderer and two accompices sentenced to state prison time in the next county over. The geniuses decided that using text messaging was the way to arrange all of this. D’oh!

9. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Craig Ferguson had jury duty a few months ago, I think. He live tweeted the entire process of sitting around and waiting to be called up. It was pretty hilarious how he was describing the other people who were waiting.

• bnceo says:

I did the same thing when I went to jury duty in New Jersey. Tweeted about the entire day until the points we were told to turn off our cell phones.

• katarzyna says:

At our court, jurors aren’t even allowed to have cell phones in the building.

10. comatose says:

Most of you will bash me, but I think this was ok for the most part. I didn’t have too much of a problem with her actions except for the lying. If she would have left it at stuttering, facials ticks, hair, makeup, etc. but no lying, I would have been ok and impressed.

11. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I’ve been “Away In College” for about 5 years now…

12. axhandler1 says:

Is she only being charged with perjury because she lied about the PTSD? I mean, if she had kept her mouth shut and just let her appearance speak for itself, there’s nothing illegal about that, correct? Or does that also fall under attempting to influence a public servant?

13. John says:

I am sympathetic for her trying to get out of Jury Duty, but of course the moron who brags about it gets what she deserves.

I realize they have trouble filling a jury with English speaking peers (at least in California) but the draconian measures they put on mandatory service is what causes people to try anything to get out of it. If you work for a company that pays for only 10 days of service, then that is the maximum you should have to serve. How risking people’s jobs or savings is permitted in the name of civic duty is beyond me. OK, now you have a pissed off person on the Jury, who will soon be on unemployment; good job court system.

I was called in, and told it could be a 3 week or more trial. My employer permits 10 days. What is my first thought going to be? I have to get out of this AND please do not call me. We would all feel the same way.

So the court system behaves like the RIAA and MPAA. Instead of fixing the problem, they will use force to get you to comply. And thus the problem continues.

• banndndc says:

Im pretty sure an employer cannot fire someone for serving on a jury. it isnt an optional sort of thing, the 10 day thing is probably only 10 days of full pay (after that it would be the pittance the court gives you for per diem).

14. dolemite says:

I’ve always wondered about people that get on juries for these big cases that end up taking a year or longer to complete. #1: You don’t really get paid to do jury duty. How do you pay your bills? #2. I don’t know of any place of employment that can go a year or 2 down an employee. Couldn’t this cost someone their job? Even they aren’t allowed to fire someone, they will have had to hire someone to replace you.

• Cicadymn says:

I recently had Jury duty. Granted it wasn’t for a year just a week. The way it worked was: They paid me my full pay the time I was gone, and at the end of Jury duty I had to sign over my check to them. It really wasn’t close to what they paid me, but it’s the slightest way to make it less painful for them. I’d imagine you’d just sign over your checks that you got when they gave them to you and you’d still get your normal pay. I wouldn’t be surprised though if some companies tried to look for a way to short you if you were going to be gone for a year.

But I don’t know if that’s the law, or if it’s just something my company does. I’m betting it’s the law. It really isn’t that great of a deal for the business losing an employee for a week. But it’s something that everyone has to do.

When I gave it to my manager it sat on his desk for over a month because he didn’t want to take it to Accounting and the guy didn’t come down to get it. He eventually got fed up and told me to just take it. That was pretty cool.

• tooluser says:

If you are out for a year, your “utility” as an employee will be demonstrably affected, and you could easily be first in line for a layoff. Same goes for being out on disability. Always do your best for your employer, keep them in the loop.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Are year-long cases always “every single day, 9-5?” Is a person always not allowed to go about their usual lives while on jury duty? If I found that I had to be on a jury, I’d try to get a schedule in advance and see if I couldn’t work with my employers to get some hours in where I could.

• failurate says:

I have no idea how it would work. I do know that as soon as I saw that the duty was going to cause my family hardship, I would have a hard time not excusing myself, even if it meant going to jail for a few days.

• framitz says:

I was called for a murder case that ran for 6 months+, I was in the final selection for alternate and was second to last to be dismissed.

I was in the military at the time, so it would not have been a problem, but I’m glad I wasn’t chosen, it was Riverside county, CA’s trial of the century and started about the time the OJ travesty ended. It was so obvious Suff was guilty that his lawyer only asked questions on our thoughts on the death penalty. Looking into the eyes of a cold blooded murderer was not an experience I care to repeat.

I do wonder how people cope with long running cases though, especially working folks.

• dks64 says:

William Suff? My family remembers when he was out killing, I’m from Riverside and lived down the street from where many of the bodies were dumped. My teacher discussed the case in detail during my Criminal Investigation class. Very interesting case, that’s a jury I would have liked to sit on. But as you said, trials like that are long, I really don’t know how you can do it unless you’re retired.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

I wish I hadn’t been eating breakfast when I googled William Suff.

That bit about the chili really put me off.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Sell your story to a major media outlet.

• tooluser says:

Los Angeles county employees receive unlimited reimbursement for jury duty. Most would rather be on a jury than do their job. On jury duty they get 2 hour lunches and sometimes whole days off, with their regular full-time pay. Yet another example of how government rip off the citizenry.

15. Cicadymn says:

Jury duty isn’t even that bad. I recently had to go for the first time. I found it interesting.

16. GreatWhiteNorth says:

Probably better she wasn’t on the jury.

17. Rocket80 says:

I’m convinced that if you don’t go around boasting about it, you can pretty much get away with skipping jury duty for your entire life. As long as enough people keep showing up, they don’t spend the time or resources hunting down those who don’t.

I may know someone who is testing this theory….

• Free Legal Advice! says:

Don’t do that in the boonies. Some of the visiting judges in my circuit talk about how 10-15 years ago, they would send bailiffs to round up people on the street to serve when they didn’t have a big enough vinire. Of course, the only people hanging around the courthouse were criminals and lawyers, so it really didn’t work out either way and the had to postpone the case.

18. Cat says:

I tried to get out of jury duty once. It didn’t go as planned.

Me:
    “I want to kill. I mean, I wanna,
    I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
    guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
    KILL, KILL.” And I started jumpin up and down yelling, “KILL, KILL,” and
    the judge started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
    yelling, “KILL, KILL.”

They made me foreman.

• IphtashuFitz says:

It must have been the fact that the judge had a seeing eye dog and the sudden realization that it was a typical case of American blind justice, and there wasn’t nothing you could do about it, and the judge wasn’t going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence…

19. nickmoss says:

All you have to say is that you believe in jury nullification. You will be dismissed from the jury pool immediately.

• yabdor says:

If you really want to kick over the apple cart ask the judge if he is empowered by statute to withhold information from the jury regarding their rights, duties and prerogatives. Make sure you ask the question on the record in front of the court reporter.

• econobiker says:

Yep, just two words will get you dismissed as quick as possible:

“jury nullification”

Thank you for posting that.

20. Cor Aquilonis says:

Geez, what a despicable woman.

Let’s go down the list of what government requires of it’s citizens: pay taxes on time, don’t do anything criminal, and show up for jury duty. Seriously, being a decent citizen is frickin’ EASY, and yet, every time jury duty comes up, people complain and whine and try to weasel out of it. EVERY TIME. And, every time taxes come around, it’s nothing but bitching and complaining.

Seriously, I count 5 hours of actual work year to date to stay compliant with what the government requires. That’s it. And yet, people whine like the big government is crushing their freedoms all the damn time. So dang little is required of an American citizen, yet even that little bit is given so reluctantly that it’s shameful. Shameful.

Jury duty is the job of every person who wants to live in our society, and it’s not frickin’ hard. Just do it.

/rant complete – bad citizenship is one of my pet peeves.

• voogru says:

Look for a book called three felonies a day.

Have a nice day.

• GrammatonCleric says:

I don’t think anyone who complains about big government crushing their freedoms really counts jury duty as one of those transgressions. It is more things like the NDAA and various blatant forms of unconstitutional legislation coupled with the fact they are spitting on the ideals our country was founded on. I think our founding fathers would agree bad citizenship isn’t failing to work for our government, its failing to work for other citizens by keeping that government in check.

• tooluser says:

Suborning your soul to the whims of a bureaucrat is nothing to be proud of.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

I agree with you. I was pretty disappointed with the caliber of whiners who were in my jury pool. The jury I was on got dismissed, but I think the fact that it was a week to Thanksgiving had a lot to do with the answers people gave.

These same asses would be braying (and praying) for a jury themselves, if they were falsely accused of a crime.

21. dadelus says:

Then there are cases like this…

To summarize a woman tried, but was unable, to find someone to watch her young children so she notified the court clerk she had to bring the children with her. The judge put her in jail because of it.

• dadelus says:

My bad, the judge made her sit in as a spectator and Tried to put her in jail but the state court administration told him he couldn’t.

• Hi_Hello says:

that judge got issues… but how much notification did the mom had? We get months a head notification here…

I can understand that she can’t find someone if they gave her a day or even less than two weeks notices…

22. chucklebuck says:

I’ve been a registered voter for 22 years and I’ve never been called for jury duty, even though I really want to serve.

It makes me sad that jury duty is seen more as an inconvenience than an important responsibility. If everyone tried to get out of jury duty, we’d have a lot of juries made up entirely of people who didn’t want to be there. Those juries would likely come to quick consensus one way or another just to get out of jury duty as quickly as possible. That’s not good for justice.

• thomwithanh says:

I was called once about 5 years ago.

In my State you get a group number when you’re assigned jury duty and you call the court the day before to see if you’re needed. I was in Group 72 of 146, and they only needed Groups 1 through 9… go figure.

• lvdave says:

I’m 62 years old, and have been called for jury duty exactly twice in that time. My wife, on the other hand, same age as me, has been called eight times. At least here in Las Vegas, the jury scheme is half-way sane.. You get your jury summons, it tells you the date/time to be there, it has a coupon for free parking in a nearby parking garage. You do tend to sit around for a day, and may or may not get called for a trial during that day. Comes the end of the day, if you’re not on a trial, you are DONE for at least a year. My first call, I sat bored till about 11am, got put in a courtroom with 11 others, the lawyers came in, one of the lawyers I’d seen on tv, turns out it was the head district attorney, not one of his flunkies but the real-deal.. Turns out this was a high-profile murder case, with the big-cheese on the case. But apparently the defense attorney didn’t like my heart-felt answer to his “what are your feelings about the death-penalty”.. which was “if they’re guilty, fry ‘em”… That got me excused and sent home… Good answer, as that trial ran for 3 weeks…

• dks64 says:

I wouldn’t mind doing it if I got paid my full income while on jury duty. I get paid nothing, zilch. Most people I know who don’t want to do jury duty is because of financial hardships and it’s a lot of waiting around. If they changed the system so there wasn’t so much waiting, I’m sure people wouldn’t mind as much. Most people think “I go and wait there for 5-6 hours just to be dismissed. What a waste of my time.”

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

Chucklebuck, you should sign up to be on a grand jury – if you can afford the time off a day job, or are self-employed and can cope. You have a much more likely chance of being called for that if you volunteer.

23. deathbecomesme says:

I came here to blame the op

24. RandomHookup says:

I was called into jury duty for the first time ever and was amazed at the lie people would tell to get out of it. It was explained it would be a week long case, so there were lots of childcare & work related reasons to say they couldn’t do it, but one woman gets up, looks at the defendant and says that she would not be able to consider the woman as not guilty. All she had heard were the woman’s name and the charges against her. Must be some new “get out of jury duty” rule book.

25. ancientone567 says:

I got dismissed once for being to knowledgeable on the subject! Hit the books guys!

26. alexwade says:

If only Denver had jury duty like they have in Springfield. Who would opt of jury duty if they are part of the Justice Squadron at the Municipal Fortress of Vengeance?

27. D007H says:

The first time I went to jury duty, I got stuck with a case involving two old ladies and a dying greyhound. When the trial ended, the two sides decided to let the judge render a verdict instead. Of course, no one ever bothered to phone the jurors to tell them that they didn’t need to come in for deliberations. Let just say that my subsequent experiences with jury duty after that has been akin to bureaucratic purgatory. Yeah what the woman did was stupid, but I can’t help but sympathize.

28. HighontheHill says:

Perfect!! Cheat = lose, the system worked perfectly.

29. Ti Perihelion says:

A professor of mine once said that the simplest way to get out of jury duty was tell them you’re a philosopher. Never had the opportunity to test that theory…

30. PortlandBeavers says:

I got picked last summer. I got picked for two cases, and started in the jury box for both cases. The attorneys are allowed to bounce a certain number of jurors without giving a reason. In both cases, one of them bounced me. It was a two week assignment, but after I got bounced from the second case on Tuesday of week 2, I never had to go back. It wasn’t much of an inconvenience, and I certainly didn’t try to get bumped. It is a little frightening to see how many people get bumped, though. In a way it’s fair because both sides have an equal number, but the fact is that they don’t bump just one or two blatantly biased jurors. They really cherry-pick them.

31. NCB says:

I had Grand Jury duty for a whole year due to a totally random draw of available jurors. And only serious reasons were tolerated for excusal.
    We met once a month for a whole day. We didn’t have to determine innocence or guilt but just decide if there was enough evidence to send the person to trial. And they were all felonies.
    And it’s not like what you see on TV. Lawyers from both sides are barred, you are presented a written summary of the charges and you hear from a witness or two (usually the arresting officer or investigator) and the jurors actually ask the
    questions. It’s usually a slam dunk because a prosecutor won’t submit a case unless they are pretty sure of an indictment. I think we only declined to send 1 or 2 cases to trial the whole year.
    It really opened up my eyes as to what was actually going on in my community and although most of those indicted never actually made it trial because of plea bargaining (and most defense lawyers won’t start the plea bargain process until after an indictment).

32. Kahlidan says:

I had jury duty last year and was dismissed by one of the attoneys after implying that I was an expert on profiling because I watched Lie to Me avidly, and could detect if the defendent was lying. I smiled and headed out after handing my jury number placard to the court assistant. Doing something clever like that is better than making up an excuse or actually lying yourself. Some of the excuses I heard were laughable-ones like “I can’t come because my cat is scheduled for surgery” and so on.

33. joako says:

I wasn’t selected but secretly I was going to find the guy accused of trafficking cannabis not guilty.