The New iPad Is Literally A Lot Hotter Than Its Predecessor

Over at Consumer Reports, they’ve been busy testing the new iPad, which they’ve discovered isn’t just a hot item in the figurative sense, but in the very physical way in that it can run sat significantly higher temperatures than its predecessor, the iPad2.

Consumer Reports‘ engineers used a thermal imaging camera to record temperatures while running a game on the new iPad and then compared them to the iPad2 using the same tests. There have been complaints that the new iPad gets pretty hot while doing tasks that involve a lot of work by the processor.

While playing Infinity Blade II, a plugged in new iPad reached a high of 116 degrees Fahrenheit, and 113 when unplugged. Compare that to the iPad2, also running the same game — plugged in it was at 104 degrees and 100 unplugged. The new iPad also didn’t charge while playing the game, even though it was plugged in.

One tester says holding the new iPad while at its hottest was warm, but not especially uncomfortable for just a brief period.

Better watch out, as some doctors say keeping any hot electronic device or car seat warmer on bare skin could lead to Toasted Skin syndrome. No one wants that.

ipadheat.png
Our test finds new iPad hits 116 degrees while running games [Consumer Reports]

Comments

1. kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

iCrowave.

• Jack T Ripper says:

Hey, at least they are finally living up to their motto and thinking different. This is the first device on the market that can burn a hole through your lap while not recharging and looking nearly identical to the last version of the product they released in every way. Right down to the single speaker and lack of any expandable memory. Brilliant thinking, Crapple!

2. Cosmo_Kramer says:

TIL “a lot hotter” is about 12 degrees hotter.

• Captain Spock says:

Also, it is a larger GPU on the SoC and More Ram, and a bigger battery…. This is not a surprise.

• homehome says:

I would say using your device then it getting so hot it automatically turns off is a big surprise. Plus the fact they try to use that mantra of it just works.

• Round-Eye §ñ‰∫∫„ÅØ„Ç≥„É≥„Çπ„Éû„É™„ÉÉ„Çπ„Éà„ÅåÂ•Ω„Åç„Åß„Åô„ÄÇ says:

It just shuts off. See? It still works…the slogan that is. But the iPad, too.

• Captain Spock says:

I haven’t heard this reported

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

I heard a response from Apple that it will turn off if it gets too hot, which is exactly what a device SHOULD do if it overheats – it’s a safeguard.

I haven’t heard of this actually occurring in the wild, though.

• airren says:

The iPhone shut off too if it gets too hot. This is no surprise. It’s only happened to me when I’ve left the sun in the direct sun… in summer… in Alabama.

The new iPad doesn’t seem much hotter to me. But I’m not playing anything more intense than Plants vs. Zombies. Zombies don’t feel hotter to me on this pad.

• Jack T Ripper says:

And you needed the latest and greatest i product WHY? Couldn’t you just have played the same games with the same experience on either version before this one? Or do you really need that HD screen to see the zombies pop when they are hit by a flower?

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

Quite surprising, actually, that they’re pushing the hardware beyond the efficiency of iPad 2, and that they decided it ok for them to sell.

This is a sign that Apple’s release timeline for iPad 3 has less to do with the technology behind it making strides and more to do with some artificial release cycle.

• dush says:

Pretty logical

• guroth says:

If you were in a room at 72F and walked into the next room to discover it was 84F then you would say “It is a lot hotter in here”

3. E-Jungle says:

Doesn’t matter, people will still buy this regardless (not something they can probably fix with a firmware upgrade).

4. zegota says:

“The new iPad also didn’t charge while playing the game, even though it was plugged in.”

Wow, way to bury the lede. That’s sort of a big deal.

5. Firevine says:

It’s got a lowercase I in front of the name. People would line up in droves to skip a rent payment for it, even if it was known to maul their children and came with a free side order of ovarian cancer.

6. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

iProducts remind me of Nintendo handhelds…I’ll just wait for the next version.

7. Ed says:

Wait… you can play games on that thing? Woah…. this makes it so much more useful.

8. s0s has a chewy nougat center says:

So, refresh my memory. Did you guys cover the massive number of problems that the first Asus Transformer Prime had, or do you hate on Apple exclusively?

Apple makes a good product. Thus, they are extremely successful and people like having the latest version (and older versions have excellent resell value). Other companies ALSO make good products, are also extremely successful, and people enjoy having the latest version.

Not that these problems don’t warrant pointing out, but your bias is showing.

• Hirayuki says:

Are you trying to compare the first Asus Transformer Prime to the third iPad? It’s hardly Apple’s first go-’round; they should know (how to do) better by now.

• samonela says:

Yes. Why don’t we keep our comparisons…..

**Puts on Sunglasses**

…..Apples to Apples.

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

• conscious says:

The bias comes from the consumer bias – ie 3 million+ people have bought this. No other tablet comes near that in sales, thus here’s a report on what’s happening with the most popular product.

• Cosmo_Kramer says:

Hate Apple? Hell no, they love Apple. Apple articles are good for a ton of pageviews.

• Naked-Gord-Program says:

Forget Apple Consumerist. I’m waiting for more articles that rag on Best Buy.

They seemed to have slacked off on them lately…

• Ed says:

The three people that have the Transformer Prime chat with each other so they all know the issues already.

• Jack T Ripper says:

“the first asus transformer prime” was not a “transformer prime”. It was just called the transformer. The Prime is the quad core version. it is easy to mistake them since they both have features that the latest iPad wasn’t able to match. You know, like SD card slots, stereo speakers, quad core processor, 8MP camera… that kind of thing. All Apple did was release the same iPad 2 with a high def screen. Oh, and apparently a hotter running processor that will lead to failure at some point and the inability to provide any real improvement to the device.

9. Cat says:

It’s not a problem. It’s a “Feature”. You can cook on it.

10. Crazydog says:

GLARING mistake in this post – the original article says “During our tests, I held the new iPad in my hands. When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period.”, while this post conveys the opposite, as it says “not especially comfortable”.

11. GoldVRod says:

“but not especially comfortable for just a brief period.”

Jeepers it’s literally a cut and paste from the CS report and it’s STILL wrong!

“When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period.”

UNcomfortable. Not ‘comfortable’.

12. cashxx says:

Blah blah blah…..sounds like propaganda to me. Over the past couple of years every time Apple comes out with a new product one problem is focused on and blown out of proportion by the media. Death Grip on the iPhone 4 to high battery drain on the iPhone 4S to the New iPad being warmer. All of the issues overblown.

13. Mark702 says:

It’s clear that the “new ipad” is just like the iphone 3GS, a way to siphon more money away from the goons who buy the new model every year, while only providing a minimal incremental update to already outdated tech. The real ipad 3 will be out next year no doubt, and Apple fanatics will continue the cycle.

• Cosmo_Kramer says:

Double the RAM, 4x the screen resolution, faster graphics, significantly improved cameras. What the hell else do you want in a new model?

• Mark702 says:

Not last years tech, thats what. Or for what you’re getting, how about a $299 price point, not $500+?

• Cosmo_Kramer says:

Their target market isn’t poor people.

• dwtomek says:

While people may bitch about the incremental and annual upgrades, my real issue with apple is their draconian policies regarding digital content. They get the benefit of distributing content digitally but expect their customers to not request the benefits that generally come with purchasing a license as opposed to a physical copy? Fuck you apple, cake, or eat it. Not both. If I am buying a license for content, I expect YOU to shoulder the burden in the event my copy is lost. The digital age is a two way street, not an avenue for illegitimately increasing profits. Can’t wait until my ipod dies and I convert all those aac files to mp3 and say goodbye to apple for good.

• Captain Spock says:

Last Year’s tech?

What does an android device run that the apple device does not, or less efficiently?… Sometimes its about coding not about TEH FASTEST AND MOSTEST MEMORIES

• Coleoptera Girl says:

BINGO! I refuse to upgrade my iPod Touch 3 for that very reason, even though I’d rather like to have a camera and more memory. Forget it. I’ll get a little point-and-shoot camera and downgrade my MP3 player when I need a new one. My brother’s enjoying his Walkman, maybe I’ll go with that.

14. dush says:

Wow, having a hot device against my skin could cause minor burns or toasting? Who’d a thunk?

15. agraham999 says:

Look…Consumerist posting an article critical about an Apple product. Shocked…shocked!!! How many clicks are we up to so far?

16. chijosh says:

I don’t have an older iPad to compare it to, but my new iPad does get pretty warm. Not so warm I can’t touch it, but warm enough that I don’t want it in my lap considering my apartment is already too hot.

17. Naked-Gord-Program says:

So if I put this in my lap it’ll make it hot?

I’ll take two.

18. ZombieWoof says:

“chestnuts roasting on an open fire…”

19. u1itn0w2day says:

Too much heat is one of the worse things you can do to an electrical circut. Even that 12 degrees could lead to shorter life if nothing else. This will probably wind up with the same problems of the all in one desk tops ie poor cooler and/or a fan/ventilation layout that sucks dust & impedes cooling.

• TheHalfWit says:

47* Celsius is nothing for a processor. Talking about electronics in Fahrenheit is deceptive, because chips can operate up to 70* C without any significant shortening of their lifespan, and indeed during overclocking I’ve run a couple of chips to 90* C or so. They’re functioning fine now years after the fact.

• booboloo says:

Bingo, the massive dispersal of heat from the large surface area of the backplate/chassis means the heat isn’t an issue at all.

Cpu’s need huge heatsinks because they run at many many more watts than some simple arm type processor which has to run on a battery. running full tilt real nice computers can pull 100 watts cpu alone, laptops and tablets much slower components use a pittance compared, and their heat is nothing.

20. Extended-Warranty says:

This is funny considering Apple is always known for engineering from the gods.

Sit back and watch the fireworks folks, this will become a much larger issue than it needs to be.

• u1itn0w2day says:

I saw a report on Bloomberg. They said they apparently accounted for the heat issues by putting air space between major components and batteries and kept the processor seperated from other hot components.

Now wether those were actual engineering designs or after the fact uh ohs we have to do something about the heat is another question.

21. GoldVRod says:

Came to see the usual anti-ipad/iphone/ipod posts from the same, weird, exceedingly bitter people rabidly trashing it over and over again.

Wasn’t disappointed!