Why Are NBA League Pass Games On A 1-Hour Delay For Roku Users?

Darren is an NBA League Pass subscriber: a very useful subscription to have if you enjoy watching live basketball. The problem is that beginning this past Sunday, the games aren’t live anymore. Roku viewers–and only Roku viewers–are getting them on an hour delay. And nobody knows why.

Darren writes:

Starting Sunday evening all the games on NBA League Pass started broadcasting one hour later. So a game that starts at 8pm actually starts playing at 9pm for a one hour delay on the Roku. The games begin on time via the website and those with AppleTV’s report that it works for them. I have opened tickets with LeaguePass support and chatted with them via live support and nobody seems to be able to do anything other than tell me to reboot the Roku. I paid $199 to watch NBA games via my Roku so I kind of hope that is enough to pay for a decent clock…

One would think so.

NBA League Pass 2011-2012 now available from NBA.com site [Roku Forums]

Comments

1. LeonardoLeonardo says:

Someone didn’t adjust for daylight savings time.

• necrosis says:

HAH! I would not be surprised if this is the issue.

• history_theatrestudent says:

Pretty much. It sounds like the methodology they depend upon to make the adjustment. They have it set to universal time so if the game starts on the East Coast it’s (GMT -500). Well the British (along with most of the rest of the world) have yet to make the jump forward. If the google search I just did is correct they will on March 25th.

• May contain snark says:

I was thinking the same thing.

• ovalseven says:

It wouldn’t be Darren. If Darren hadn’t changed his clocks, the games would be starting an hour earlier.

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I may get heat for this…but it doesn’t seem like a HUGE deal to me. Unless you have friends who are watching the game in real time, and are texting you about what just happened.

• njack says:

It may not be a HUGE deal in the grand scheme, but if you are paying for a service, the service should work as advertised.

• tbax929 says:

As a sports fan, I have to say that I much prefer to watch sporting events live. It’s really hard not to get spoiled with a score if you don’t. I’m predominantly a baseball fan, and my favorite team is in a time zone three hours ahead of me. That’s tough.

So you may not see it as a big deal, but the OP definitely has my sympathies.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

My team (Rockies) is an hour behind, me, but plays lots of games on the west coast … two hours behind me.

Which also sucks. Nothing like a game starting at 9:30 when I need to be up at 5:30.

Yeah, seeing a game delayed isn’t as good as seeing it live.

• Difdi says:

If you pay money for something, you should get what you bought. It’s just like buying a brand new car that has an advertised 0-60 in 5 seconds…but that can’t go more than 20mph. You arrive an hour late for everything, but hey, you have no cause to complain, since the car does drive, right?

• Donathius says:

It can be a big problem if you ever get on Twitter or Facebook. I’ve got a favorite college team (basketball and football) and I’ve got to make sure that if I’m watching them play on a delay via my DVR that I don’t get on Facebook otherwise SOMEONE will have posted a “congrats” or “good try” and ruin the end.

• Anathema777 says:

Loud neighbors can give things away too. When the Bruins were in the layoffs, even if I hadn’t been watching the games, I’d have known exactly when they scored by the loud cheers from next door.

3. Blueskylaw says:

“Why Are NBA League Pass Games On A 1-Hour Delay For Roku Users?”

So that Roku has an hour to bleep out all the things that might offend a young viewer audience.

4. njack says:

I blame the OP for liking basketball

5. Bagels says:

question for anyone here who actually has a Roku and League Pass….i have Directv and seriously want to ditch it because of the high cost….but I do have League Pass and MLB Extra Innings and want at least that (in addition to local channels, etc.) I do not have a Roku. How much does Leauge Pass cost for the Roku ? Are you actually just ordering League Pass for Broadband and then streaming it through Roku ?

• StarKillerX says:

I would think that direcTV’s price would be a lot better if you dropped NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings.

• Bagels says:

yeah, no shit…..point being I don’t care about the basic cable channels. all i really want is league pass and extra innings and i can get local channels for free. i’m trying to avoid paying for things i’m not really watching

• meske says:

MLB TV is between $100 and $130 depending on which package you get for the full season. This gets you the live games. I’m not sure if it’s the same as extra innings.

And per the post, it looks like the opp paid $199 for the NBA package.

6. Jawaka says:

Between this and Netflix losing some of its content it kinda tells me that the alternatives just aren’t up to the task quite yet if you want to fine your cable company. I just read a thread on the Roku forums about the current problem and people have been complaining about the service not working well since December. I mean, how much aggravation is it worth to save a few bucks?