Sears Strips Clothing From 10 Stores As Shoppers Prefer Comfy Furniture

Who needs a new pair of jeans when there’s TV watching to be done? The demands of shoppers has led to Sears dropping clothing from 10 of its stores in order to fit in more mattresses and recliners.

“We will be offering more products in categories for which shoppers have asked for a larger assortment,” said Chris Brathwaite, a Sears spokesman, in an email statement via the Associated Press. “The reallocation was undertaken to address the specific needs of local customers in a very limited number of doors,” he added.

There’s no plan to spread that plan beyond the 10 stores included now. Those are spread out geographically and are only a small part of Sears’ 900 stores. If you are jonesing for that leopard print jumpsuit from the Kardashian Kollection, clothing will still be offered online for those customers without apparel in their local store. Whew.

Sears had a downer of a holiday season, announcing that they’d be closing 100 to 120 stores, as well as more recently, revealing they’ll be spinning off their Hometown and Outlet stores.

“We are taking immediate actions to address our fourth-quarter performance,” said Lou D’Ambrosio, Sears’ CEO and president, in a statement last month.

Sears to shed clothing in 10 department stores [Associated Press]

Comments

1. LoadStar says:

“We are taking immediate actions to address our fourth-quarter performance.” How about taking the immediate action of showing D’Ambrosio and Edward Lampert (Sears’ chairperson) the door? Clearly neither know what the heck they’re doing anymore.

• HomerSimpson says:

“Anymore” ?

So you thought they knew what they were doing at some point in the past?

• MeowMaximus says:

“We are taking immediate actions to address our fourth-quarter performance, by inuring that we wont be in business next year.”

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Just die already.

• Jawaka says:

I don’t know why everyone wishes that they’d die. I mean, you can just choose not to shop there.

3. Shorebreak says:

I noticed the new mattress display section in my local Sears in the mall last week. At least they placed it in the towel and bedding section where it belongs. Good luck to them but the mattress competition is really tough.

4. Blueskylaw says:

It seems that Sears is suffering from an identity crisis. They don’t know whether to sell tools, clothing, furniture or stuffed unicorns. Sears should look at what happened to the History Channel; they used to be about history but now it’s about monsters, hillbilly handfishing, ancient aliens, conspiracy theories, pawn stars, truck drivers, alligator hunters, conspiracy theory, religious interpretation, UFO speculation, and other reality television sh*t.
    Everything but history is shown on the history channel and I basically don’t watch it anymore which is sad since it used to be my favorite channel.

• brinks says:

ANCIENT ALIENS IS HISTORY!

They’re, like, ancient and stuff.

• rpm773 says:

Nice tie in, but you’re starting to sound like some crusty old Republican senator from Iowa :)

• Blueskylaw says:

Awesome link – it almost makes me want to be a Senator so I could publicly ostracize them too.

Perhaps they should call themselves the Potpourri Channel?

• Cat says:

From the comments section:

“Here’s a tweet to Senator Grassley:
        Just turned on cspan and nothing! Congress doing nothing. NOTHING!! Why do we have a congress when it does NOTHING. “

So. Much. Win.

• redskull says:

I agree with you, but to be fair that’s been happening to all niche cable channels for quite some time. SyFy Channel airs very little in the way of science fiction these days, filling their time slots with wrestling and shows about people pretending to see ghosts. The Learning Channel has very little educational programming, unless shows about 3000 pound humans and men whose arms exploded teach anything. And Cartoon Network now airs live action shows. Networks don’t specialize anymore, they all have the same lukewarm programming.

• Cat says:

if you want to watch a cool history program, try this:

The show is called American Ride, and it is a multi part series that follows long haired, bearded Stan Ellsworth as he straddles his custom Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe and rides through 250 years of American history that is the American Revolution. The former NFL player is the motorcycle riding host and creator of BYU-tv’s American history program, American Ride.

Yea – BYUtv, the Mormon channel. But the show? Cool as fuck. What History Channel should be doing.

“Not your high school history class.”
      Let’s Ride.

5. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I have plenty of places to shop for clothing..it’s furniture that’s difficult. Ordering online sight unseen is a hard thing to do for most people. It’s usually a lot of money and it’s not easy to receive or return something like a large piece of furniture. I think Sears is still on its way to the retail pearly gates, but this move makes sense. I’m not sure that I would buy furniture from Sears, but it’s a good step.

• Jawaka says:

I agree. Every time you walk into a Walmart or a Target you have to walk through isles of clothing before you can get to whatever dept you’re really looking for. and when you add in the hundred other options for clothing in a normal town I’m amazed that they sell well enough to be worth it. If what they’re doing now isn’t working there’s no harm in trying something new.

6. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

Check Yo Self Before You Wreck Yo Self – Ice Cube

7. brinks says:

This move is probably the best idea for them. We bought a plasma screen TV from Sears recently. We bought it online for in-store pickup, and we were terrified that something would go horribly wrong, but it didn’t. However, before we went to the pickup area, I went in to look for a pair of pants for work. THAT was the part that went horribly wrong. No sizes, no selection, no sense in their merchandising at all, and their prices were, for the most part, higher than Marcy’s, where I ultimately found pants. Aside from workwear, they’re not offering a better selection than any of their competitors. Makes sense to me to ditch it in favor of something they *might* be able to do better than someone else.

8. Costner says:

I wonder where they could have got the crazy idea that nobody goes to Sears to buy clothing, but rather they might buy clothing because they are already at Sears?

• Englishee Teacher says:

I go to Sears to buy clothing that isn’t easily found other places. I’m not going to go there to buy shirts and pants, but I’ll go there to get thermal underwear, or flannel pajamas, or a specific type of sock, because most stores don’t carry much selection of those things. They might have one or two types, where sears might have ten.

9. PercussionQueen7 says:

It would be lovely if the source article actually had the locations (save one) that are making this change so I can find out if it’s my local Sears….

10. redskull says:

I predicted this last year. As more and more brick and mortar stores fall by the wayside and become extinct, there are less and less places for people to go to, and less reason to actually leave the house. When you don’t leave your house, you don’t need new clothing. Eventually the only clothes people will need will be stained sweatshirts and pajama bottoms.

11. Yomiko says:

Sears clothing sucks anyway. I only have to visit my local Sears once every 18 months or so to remind myself why I never check there when I need something.

12. LiveToEat says:

I hope this won’t be the end for Land’s End. I love their clothes and swimsuits. Love that I can order online and then return to Sears if they don’t fit.

13. Missing in Vlissingen says:

Like many shoppers, I’m not really sure what I’d shop at Sears for. Other stores do discount clothing better. For furniture I go to a furniture store. Sears’s customer service for appliance purchases and repairs is known to be lousy. What’s left? Tools? If I need one, it’s probably because I’m working on a project and I’ll go to Lowes/HD because I can get tools and supplies in one place.

I don’t wish bad things on Sears, I just don’t know what they can do better than other retail stores, and therefore why I should shop there.

(I did go to Sears once because they participated in an appliance recycling program, and I returned an old air conditioner for a tax credit.)

14. barty says:

Kind of ironic that Sears has come to this, because I remember as a kid my parents buying a ton of my clothes at Sears.

Sears could still turn things around, but they’ve got to figure out what they want to be, get out of some of these horrible real estate deals and move their stores out of the ghetto, and update the ones that are in decent locations. Then maybe people will start going there again.

15. MaytagRepairman says:

Sears is where I shop for clothes when I need socks, underwear, and anything that was in style 2-3 years ago.

16. Jane_the_cynic says:

I didn’t even know sears sold clothes… I was always under the impressions they were an electronics / appliance / hardware stuff type store

17. DWMILLER says:

I stopped buying clothes at Sears when Toughskins didn’t fit anymore-30+ years ago….

• ChuckECheese says:

I stopped when they quit selling Flexslax, which were knockoffs of Sans-a-belts. They were indestructable knit polyester.

18. ChuckECheese says:

I don’t think that it’s really because customers prefer anything. I bet it’s because higher-dollar furniture contributes more to the bottom line per item than clothing. Sears Outlet stores are stupd places to buy scratch-and-dent appliances for only 10% more than retail.

19. krom says:

Did anyone read this as “Spears Strips Clothing”?

20. u1itn0w2day says:

Their clothing is outrageously expensive. I’ve found Dickie work pants/slacks half price at other stores. Their underwear & socks are also on the high side.

21. shthar says:

Sounds good to me.

I been wanting to buy a new mattress, but no sears around me actually has mattresses.

And I ain’t buyin no mattress with out trying it out.

22. Outrun1986 says:

The clothing at Sears is pretty darn ugly, unless you want to dress like a 60 year old woman when you are 20….

This is probably a good move, a mattress is a hard to shop for item, and having some at a big brand name retailer that is easily found might actually be a good way for Sears to differentiate from every other retailer that sells clothing. Probably better for most than seeking out the nearest mattress warehouse or the overpriced mattress store.

The only thing I would suggest is keep the kids clothing, they are the only store around here that has a plus-size children’s department, and with the expanding waistlines of our children this is something that is greatly needed!

23. dicobalt says:

I have noticed there are way too many clothing stores. Just look at any shopping center or mall and actually count the number of stores that sell clothes.

24. wasabipeas says:

I think Sears should embrace its roots and return to selling houses and narcotics.

Otherwise, Sears is the store I walk through when entering the mall, because the parking is better there.