Nutrients That Make You More Fertile

Superstition and junk science will recommend all sorts of foods to aid in female fertility. Although anecdotal evidence suggests that some of these will work, the best way for to increase your babymaking capabilities is probably to eat healthily.

What to Expect suggest focusing on key areas to aid with the babymaking. Prenatal vitamins are solid supplements, but the bulk of your nutrition should come from your meals. Aim for three daily servings of calcium, as well as zinc (found in beef, lamb, pork, oatmeal and several other foods) and manganese (it’s in spinach, carrots and broccoli, among other veggies).

On the other side of the coin, heavy use of caffeine and alcohol can possibly hinder your fertility.

Fertility Diet: Foods That Make You Fertile [What to Expect]

Comments

1. Cat says:

Avoid calcium, zinc, and manganese. Continue heavy use of caffeine and alcohol.

Got it.

• Martha Gail says:

Plus a million. I was going to say the same thing. Also noted, I need to increase my intake of caffeine and alcohol.

• mandarynn says:

I’m going to continue my heavy use of caffeine and alcohol.

• kyramidx3 says:

And this is the only reason I clicked on this article. Ha!

• alana0j says:

I dunno..I’m addicted to both coffee and beer and I have two kids..and that’s after they said I’d never have a second one due to hormonal problems..

Or maybe I’m so jacked up that the caffeine and alcohol actually made me fertile…

• Jules Noctambule says:

Pass a few of those vodka-espresso shots over here, will you?

2. rmorin says:

Oh God good Phil,

He’s just trolling us all now right?!

3. Nobby says:

L-arginine makes men more “productive”.

4. Cat says:

I figured out how it’s consumer – related…

“Making my own consumers at home!”

5. HowardRoarksTSquare says:

So keep up with the fast food , mountain dew and laptop.

Got it!

6. Ed says:

So 4Loco could also be used for birth control? Why did they pull that stuff from the market again?

7. Gman says:

Searching for how this is consumer related…uhhh…uhh…

Oh I got it!

Phil is trying to save us money by telling women that they do not need to purchase over the counter meds, but a healthy diet filled with nutrients will do similar job. Right? Right?

8. Yomiko says:

I thought alcohol aided fertility.

9. iblamehistory says:

I’ve thought it was kind of odd that in 2010-early 2011 while my husband and I were trying to make a kiddo, we were repeatedly unsuccessful (despite careful, technical fertility tracking on my part), although I dropped caffeine completely and I hadn’t touched alcohol in the previous 10 years. We decided to take a break, and this past summer at 25 I decided to see if I could handle alcohol for the first real time without all the pesky problems of my family’s alcoholism getting to me. I was fine, but I did have a lot of fun with it, responsibly–my husband doesn’t drink, so I stuck to just being around him when I did. I enjoyed myself and was very happy about not developing a problem.

So when we started trying again in the fall, I was still doing the fertility tracking but I was drinking my usual (high) amount of caffeine and enjoying lots of delicious beer and whisky–my motto was “drink ’til it’s pink” so while I was waiting the standard 2 weeks to see if we were successful, I didn’t say no to a few drinks. Just took a couple tries after that and now I’m 4 months along.

I’m just kind of annoyed that I put SO much effort into doing everything “right” the first time around and doing some pretty strange things that were rumored to help, but nothing happened until I loosened up. I’m not one of those people who will say “stop trying and then it’ll happen” because that’s not the case. I was still paying attention to when I was most fertile and if I hadn’t been, we wouldn’t have had perfect timing.

Honestly, what I attribute it to most is getting my damn thyroid under control. My TSH was something like 7 in September and as soon as I got on meds for that, life was perfect. No more chronic pain, no more being able to and needing to sleep for 14 hours a day.

10. Mozz says:

Is Enzite a nutrient?

11. bobloblaw says:

actually, if you want to be normal fertile, and not less fertile, dont eat GMO’s. animal husbandry folks are currently experiencing extremely high rates of infertility and miscarriages in the last 10 – 15 years with proof that it’s directly linked to GMO’s. so dont just eat healthy – eat organic.

12. kalmanizer says:

There is a product on the internet called “Fertilaid.” LQQK into it if you’re trying to get pregnant. :)

13. noncomjd says:

Then please explain why so many crackhead hoes and he-hoes (god forbid I shouldn’t be pc), raging alcoholics and chain smokers end up being parents. Personally I think most of it is predetermined in the genetic material.

14. Snaptastic says:

Awhile ago I saw a chiropractor at a health fair who approached me and offered to work out a kink in my back that would make me more fertile.

“If you work that kink the other way a bit more, can you guarantee that I won’t have to worry about dropping any crotchfruit?” He stood there aghast with no real response.

I will also continue the use of caffeine thankyouverymuch!