Gettysburg Gift Shop Decides Against John Wilkes Booth Bobbleheads

Doesn’t matter if it’s a silly bobblehead doll, it seems some might find it odd to buy a figurine of the man who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. The Gettysburg National Military Park visitors’ center removed the John Wilkes Booth bobblehead from its shelves recently, after a reporter asked about them.

The Associated Press says the bobbleheads of the most famous assassin were packaged in a box that looked like the inside of Ford’s theater, where Booth shot Lincoln. The little guys even wield handguns — you know, for shooting the President. They were only available for about a week before getting the boot on Saturday.

“On rare occasions, there’s an item that might cause concern, and obviously the bobbleheads appeared to be doing that,” Gettysburg Foundation spokeswoman Dru Anne Neil said Tuesday. She didn’t state whether there had been complaints or why the items were no longer for sale.

They appear to be somewhat popular elsewhere, as the dolls’ manufacturer says 150 of the original run of 250 have been sold, and more are being made.

Gettysburg gift shop pulls Booth bobbleheads [Associated Press]

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

I would only buy it if it also came with a gimpy leg.

2. chemmy says:

i woulda bought one.

3. Blueskylaw says:

I would only buy it if it also came with a gimpy leg.

4. tomok97 says:

You think that’s bad? My Lincoln bobble-head had a hole in the back of it.

5. humphrmi says:

I feel a theme coming on. Coming soon… Lee Harvey Oswald bobbleheads packaged in boxes that looks like the Texas Schoolbook Repository, and John Hinckley, Jr. bobbleheads in boxes that looks like the Washington Hilton.

• SabreDC says:

Poor Charles Guiteau… everyone knows Oswald and Booth. No one ever remembers Guiteau.

• humphrmi says:

Because only slightly harder to remember than Guiteau is the man he assassinated, President Garfield.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

What about Leon Czolgosz? Nobody remembers him or can spell his name, except maybe the McKinley family.

6. Stevea1210 says:

I dunno. I really like the Hitler bobble head I got at the Auschwitz gift shop.

7. Hungry Dog says:

I would pay for this with pennies and fives.

8. dpeters11 says:

Not that I condone Booth’s actions, but this would appeal to my sense of humor.

But don’t forget the knife.

9. MaytagRepairman says:

I’d buy it if it came in a discounted bundled with a pair of Black and Tan Nikes.

10. Weighted Companion Cube says:

Someone should sell a John Wilkes Booth with Nike Black and Tan shoes and holding a Ben & Jerry’s pint of Black and Tan.

11. Murph1908 says:

I have no problem with the existence of such a product, nor with anyone who would purchase it.

I agree that they should not be sold in Gettysburg, or the Lincoln Memorial, etc.

12. ronbo97 says:

Why would they be selling JWB bobbleheads at Gettysburg in the first place ?

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Because their marketing people are morons.

• Minj says:

I think you meant “their marketing people were geniuses”. From reading about this on other sites, the JWB bobblehead was a best seller.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

No, they are morons. Creating a stir or selling out was not their intent. It was ancillary to their decision to carry it as just another item in their gift shop. It was pretty thoughtless, actually.

13. nbs2 says:

I’ll have to head up next weekend to ask about these (checking out the cherry blossoms this weekend – before the tourists arrive en masse).

14. Hi_Hello says:

history…why not sell it? History has a lot of messed up stuff…and I think everything about it should be taught and eventually sold. It get people talking about it.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Agreed. Most people forget we openly housed U.S. citizens of Japanese descent in internment camps, and had mock trials for supposed communists.

All people of every country should learn that they are not infallable.

15. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

STILL too soon eh?

16. cash_da_pibble says:

I saw the picture and thought “they’re making ‘My Name is Earl’ bobbleheads?”
    Then I read the headline and was kind of sad.

A Randy bobblehead would make every day a bit brighter.

17. gman863 says:

The JWB bobble-head is no worse than one of Pee-Wee Herman.

After all, both are most famous for shooting someone in the back of the head in a theatre.

18. baristabrawl says:

If they don’t sell them it never happened. Rewrite history, y’all.

19. Hawkeye says:

In a related story the Rock and Roll hall of fame has decided to pass on the Mark David Chapman collector plates.