Buying Girl Scout Cookies With Fake Money Is The Lowest Of The Low

So you’re jonesing for some Thin Mints and hey, a Girl Scout comes around willing to sell you some. It doesn’t matter if you need those cookies like Jersey Shore needs canceling, it is very bad form, not to mention illegal, to give a girl in green counterfeit money.

A Girl Scout near Boston found out the soullessness of some cookie consumers the hard way, when she took the haul her troop made off the treats to her local bank. Once there, she was informed that someone had passed her $80 in counterfeit $20 bills, says WBZ News.

“This is a very unfortunate situation that someone would do this at all, especially for the Girl Scouts,” said Allison Rubin, the media and public relations manager for the Girls Scouts of Eastern Mass. “We really want to appreciate and say thank you to everyone. We are not soliciting outside funding, but we really appreciate their support.”

The troop was trying to fund a hiking trip in May as well as a gathering on Cape Cod, and are now $80 farther from their goal.

Here’s to hoping your roommate/significant other eats all those Tagalongs before you even get to eat a single one, ye vile counterfeiters!

Tyngsboro Girl Scouts Receive $80 In Counterfeit Cash For Cookies [WBZ]

Comments

1. Cat says:

I respectfully disagree-
    Buying Girl Scouts With Fake Money Is The Lowest Of The Low.

(I’m looking at you, Coffee…)

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

I’m not sure Coffee buys them. I think he just leases them.

• Agent Hooter Enjoys Enhanced Patdowns says:

I don’t know why they keep letting him. He always returns them in poor condition and with way more miles as allowed in his contract.

• Cat says:

I just take them for a few quick spins around the block, and then trade in for a newer model. What the hell, the dealer will pay off the loan on the old one.

I don’t know how my dealer stays in business. Is there a market for pre-enjoyed Girl Sprouts?

• Coffee says:

I would have responded sooner, but I was busy setting fire to my house and running all my computers through a super magnet.

Now…as I was about to say: Cat, you have a filthy, filthy mind, and quite frankly, you disgust me. I would say more, but that mass grave isn’t going to move itself.

2. caradrake says:

Did the person who bought the cookies even know that the bills were counterfeit? I don’t think the cookie buyer has been found, but that was my first thought. Second, did the girls (or the adult overseeing the girls) examine the bills to make sure they were legit?

Finally, it sucks that this would happen. I hope that somehow it’s made right – through donations after this news went live, a write-off at the corporate Girl Scout level, the cookie buyer returning with real money… whatever it takes.

• Chmeeee says:

That was my first thought, it could very well have been passed on unknowingly. I don’t pay much attention to my cash, so I doubt I’d notice if the money I got as change from a store or anywhere else was fake unless it was a REALLY bad fake.

• RandomHookup says:

4 fake $20 bills seems a little less likely to be an accident (though counterfeiters usually are just looking to get cash — not cookies).

• Snoofin says:

It’s hard to say as some counterfeits are good and I know I dont inspect every bill I get as change. I could see someone unintentionally giving them a fake one.

If I could get an address to the treasurer of her local den or whatever they call it. Id send them $80 to replace it. I dont really like girl scout cookies, but they do a good job of helping girls be well rounded people. I like to support them so I usually just buy the cookies for family members when they come around.

• Jawaka says:

Are you suggesting that all girl scouts should carry special pends to test bills?

• Conformist138 says:

Why not? They’re cheap and it’s a really easy way to cut down on fraud. Girl Scouts are about responsibility and whatnot, so why not teach them how to spot fake money? It’s a good real-world lesson, despite how unfortunate it is that people would trick kids like that.

• OttersArePlentiful says:

My old job had pens and we were required to test any bill over a 20. We never got a counterfeit, but we still had to do it.

3. catskyfire says:

There was a letter to Dear Prudence where a woman indicated that someone tried to pay with counterfeit bills. (She worked retail so she had the special pen and tested them). When she called the guy on it, he tried to get her to take them anyway, with the attitude of ‘nobody’ll get hurt’…

4. notovny says:

Do people often buy $80+ of Girl Scout Cookies in one sitting?

• RedOryx says:

This was my thought as well.

• georgi55 says:

Well $80 gets you like 3 boxes at current prices so yeah.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

Kevin was going triple digit boxes on his order this year (The Office).

• Neilbert says:

Yeah, I would think that finding who bought 20 boxes from you shouldn’t be that hard.

Of course, I could go through that many boxes of Tagalongs in a week.

• Peggee is deeply offended by impetulant, pernicious little snots disrespecting her and violating her personal space at Best Buy. says:

If this was at one of the stands they set up rather than door to door, and they paid with cash, there’d be no way to trace it.

• cheezeit says:

Yes they do. My daughter routinely sells to the wife of a Lt of our local fire department who buys the cookies for he husband’s staff. She usually buys $70 worth of cookies (3.50 a box x 20 boxes = $70). Sometimes she buys more. Not unusual at all.

5. ExtraCelestial says:

Sorry to thread jack but Chris Morran is currently on CNN talking about Tide thefts. Randomly watching CNN at work and saw him. Yay!

6. Vox Republica says:

They may not be soliciting outside funding, but I’ve got a $20 bill with their name on it. Well, not literally their name. The actual name of the guy on this bill is, let’s see… ah, here we go: Jarkson. Jarkson? Oh, son of a…

7. puTTY says:

Damn, damn the circumstance.

8. Hungry Dog says:

Ah, teaching young Americans about life and how unforgiving it is.

9. bhurt544 says:

No, this is lower – Man robs Girl Scout stand

10. Velifer says:

This fake money kills fascists.

11. keith4298 says:

They are actually $80 FURTHER from their goal. Further is a measure of degree, farther is a measure of distance.

12. JenJenMi says:

Well, little girls are supposed to learn life lessons in Girl Scouts. Too bad these girls learned that people suck.

13. SavijMuhdrox says:

If the cookies are going to be made from fake Girl Scouts, then yeah.. here’s my fake Money..

except for the thin mints.. i know they are made from crack.. and i loooooove every single one.. mmmmm.. nom nom nom..

14. Bob says:

Could someone please tell me how much the girl scout troop actually gets in return from all the effort they go through to sell those things? I mean, I don’t buy them so I don’t know. I’m just guessing. If a girl sells me a box of Thin Mints for 4 dollars, how much does the troop actually get in return? Personally I’d rather just give a little girl 5 bucks and say here ya go, keep it.

• MikeVx says:

The figure I’ve heard is about 15%. Yes, there is a fair bit of effort involved, but it is a form of practical business experience. The girls get an idea of a sales-based business is like. True, they have the advantage of being a popular group to support, but the experience is still useful.

• erinpac says:

Our troop ended up with somewhere around 3% when I was little. A bit more went to the national organization. Most goes to the cookie manufacturer.
        Many of the local parents just donated instead, and only got cookies if they *really* wanted the cookies. There’s a decent Keebler imitation of Samoas now, and the girl scout prices are so high now that I wouldn’t stop at one of the cookie stands.

• ajaxd says:

From my personal experience nobody actually comes to my door trying to sell them. But in my workplace their parents sell quite a bit using order forms. Just plain asking for money is awkward for everybody but people will buy a lot of cookies (not as much as pictured in the “Office” but still).

• ajaxd says:

15. Hi_Hello says:

i don’t see the big deal…

16. Azagthoth says:

I don’t understand why this is considered any “lower” than stealing from anybody else.

17. RayanneGraff says:

Am I the only one who has noticed a steep decline in the deliciousness of GSCs over the years? My little sister is selling them right now & I pigged out on some Samoas & Trefoils the other day and I must say- I was FAR less than impressed. The Samoas used to be gooey, chewy(I almost spelled that chooey, lol), caramelly delights that hurt your teeth, but now they’re dry and flavorless, closer to a stale chik-o-stik than a delicious cookie. And the Trefoils… well, they just tasted off. Not buttery & sweet like they used to. They taste artificial now.

The only ones that are still good are the thin mints, in fact. Boo-urns Girl Scouts, boo-urns.

18. Joseph S Ragman says:

Girl Scout cookies stopped being any good when they stopped making them with real Girl Scouts.

19. Lisa W says:

What has the world come to when a Girl Scout has to inspect bills to ensure they aren’t counterfeit? What’s next…donating counterfeit money to the church? Wait…I’m sure that’s already happened…sigh.

20. maxamus2 says:

I don’t know, you are buying fake cookies with fake money, no harm no foul??

21. ancientone567 says:

That is a great idea! Girl Scouts don’t bring your death cookies to my door. The Girl Scouts should be ashamed that they are selling one very unhealthy product! Sure make Americans are FATTER that is just what we all need. No wonder nobody can afford health insurance!

22. gman863 says:

“It doesn’t matter if you need those cookies like Jersey Shore needs canceling”

+1 to Mary Beth.

23. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

I’m not sure if this is the same person, but here’s the story of a Girl Guide troop leader who was passed phony money for cookies and fought back. Even better, the guy who passed the phony money got nailed for writing bad cheques. Not sure if this is the same person, but if it is, man, karma’s a sweet bitch, isn’t it?

24. I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. says:

I think that combining chocolate with mint is the lowest of low. Ick.

25. La Flama Blanca says:

Payback? Remember that year they shorted the middle row of the Samoas by 1 cookie?

26. OttersArePlentiful says:

My first thought was that it could have been unintentional – I don’t check my own bills, so the person buying the cookies could have passed them off thinking they were legitimate. However, once I read further, it seems awfully suspicious that he/she not only purchased $80 worth of cookies, but that ALL of his bills were counterfeit.