Would You Pay $12,500 To Visit The Wreckage Of The Titanic With A Groupon?

We thought Celine Dion put the nail in the coffin so far as the cheapening of a historical event with “My Heart Will Go On,” but this new offering from Groupon goes to show that we’re not done profiting from the tragedy of the Titanic. For just $12,500, you can visit the final underwater resting place of the Titanic’s wreckage.

The Chicago Tribune says the vacation package, which includes the tour in a deep-ocean vessel, is valued at $59,680 and is offered through a partnership with Expedia’s Getaways.

The $12,500 price tag includes round-trip airfare, transport to the site via ship, the day exploration of the wreckage and admission to events commemorating the 100th anniversary of the crash that killed 1,517 people. There’s only one unit available, however, and that lucky buyer will also get a DVD of Titanic signed by — no, not the real guy — a Leonardo DiCaprio impersonator.

It’s not that going on the tour isn’t kind of a neat experience, as the story of the Titanic has always held fascination for history buffs and normal folk alike, it’s just the auctioning off of the visit for morbid sightseeing’s sake that feels a bit… icky? But anyway, collect your pennies and buy, and you could be whispering, “Jack, Jack, I’ll never let go,”* on the ocean floor.

*Spoiler alert! She totally let go.

Groupon offers $12,500 trip to Titanic [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

I would LOVE to put this on my resume. This is the kind of thing that will make them
    remember you, though it would probably have no bearing for the job you are applying for.

• KatieNeptune says:

Totally! I got a job once because I liked geocaching (before it was cool, ahem) and themed parties (I was just out of college). Apparently the woman reading my resume stopped at geocaching to google it cos she had never heard of it, and then later liked that I had put “theme parties” under interests because (unbeknownst to me; I got lucky) part of the job was managing college activities & event planning.Resume, interview, job.

2. umbriago says:

Frankly, there are cheaper graveyards I can visit on the surface for free.

3. LightningUsagi says:

I don’t really see how it’s different than visiting Civil War battlefields or other landmarks that have a deadly history. I grew up in Georgia, so 90% of our fieldtrips were to places where hundreds of people had died.

But seeing the Titanic would be completely unique mainly because of the location and the equipment needed to view it. I think it would be amazing.

• bluline says:

Agree. I don’t see anything morbid or creepy about it. It’s not like there are bodies lying all over the place. Those are long gone.

4. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

The icky part is that there are Leonardo DiCaprio impersonators.

5. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Ehh, bucket list item for a lottery winner. For me, get me on the inaugural Spaceship One flight.

6. hackeynut says:

Hey, I bought LASIK eye surgery on Groupon so I’m in no position to judge.

7. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

I now I have a reason to pawn my Rolex!

8. KatieNeptune says:

Okay, this sounds a little out there and defensive and maybe I can’t take a joke, but I also don’t see how Celine Dion cheapened the event with her song, especially when the song & movie brought so much attention TO the event that a lot of people in my generation (born in the 80s) probably wouldn’t even know about without them.

Also, I totally think it would be a cool groupon.

• VintageLydia says:

What type of education were you receiving if you don’t think you’d have known about the wreck if it weren’t for the movie? I was born in the mid-80′s and I know my school taught it in elementary school. The movie didn’t even come out until middle school.

• dpeters11 says:

I knew of the Titanic and what happened, but I honestly couldn’t grasp the size of the ship very well until I saw the film, or what life was like on it. I’m sure there are other films I could have watched, but I used this one.

I didn’t care about Jack or Rose, they were secondary for me.

• KatieNeptune says:

That’s where I come in – I think I had a children’s book about the Titanic that my parents got me from the library (more about the discovery vs the actual sinking of the ship if I remember correctly) but it’s not like I was taught much about it in school. Seeing the movie and the subsequent documentaries and things was much more illuminating to the time period as well as the catastrophe. Plus, boobs!

• Misha says:

I’m pretty sure we read the same book, but I never had to be taught about it in school to become fascinated – the book was enough, long before the movie that I roundly criticized from the back of the theater in my teens.

• KatieNeptune says:

That’s awesome that you didn’t need more than the book to stay interested. I think in my case (12 year old female who loved Babysitters Club and Animorph books), learning about the Titanic was not high on my to-do list, but the movie really brought it to life for me. Nothing more, nothing less.

• RedOryx says:

Seriously? I was born in ’81, my sister in ’86 and we were well aware of the Titanic long before the movie came out.

9. tomok97 says:

My Heart Will Groupon?

10. TerpBE says:

I’m waiting for the tour of the wreck of the Costa Concordia – the real-life Titanic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IFdWBPRrxo

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah because those 32 deaths is much more “real life” then the 1517 souls that perished on the Titanic.

Are you for real?

• TerpBE says:

Watch the video. I’m mocking Entertainment Tonight which actually referred to it as that multiple times.

11. swarrior216 says:

If I was rich yea.

12. mauispiderweb says:

No. i would never, even for free, go to a place where death by lack of oxygen and/or tremendous pressure (or lack thereof) is a possibility. Hence, no bottom of the ocean or space travel, for me.

• Blueskylaw says:

If that submersible even developed a pinhole sized leak, it would crush the sub and kill everyone in it before you even knew the leak happened.

CHEERS!!!

• madfrog says:

Yep, and what if you have to pee? Doesn’t it take about 6 hours to get to the wreck from the surface? Or even worse, if you have IBS and it acts up.

My idea of fun is not sitting in a tiny metal tube surrounded by others who are sweating and god only knows what else right next to you, with impending and crushing doom all around you in a cold, pitch black place.

• dks64 says:

As awesome as it would be to see, I feel the same way. I’d have a panic attack 10 seconds after the lid closed. I can barely go on the Submarine ride at Disneyland.

13. George4478 says:

I’d go in a heartbeat if I had the cash to spare (ah, there’s the rub).

I’ve always found the Titanic fascinating ever since I read Walter Lord’s A Night To Remember back in the 70′s. I thought the discover of the wreck was amazing since I never thought that it was something I’d see. So yeah, I’d go.

But as a husband, father, and homeowner I have more important uses for that much money. Curse you, Reality!

14. Cat says:

The Titanic? Ah, one of our adventure holidays!
    Well you’d better see Mr Bounder about that.

I mean what’s the point of being treated like a sheep, I mean I’m fed up with going abroad and being treated like a sheep, what’s the point of being carted around in buses surrounded by sweaty mindless oafs from Kettering and Boventry in their cloth caps and their cardigans and their transistor radios and their ‘Sunday Mirrors’, complaining about the tea, ‘Oh they don’t make it properly here do they not like at home’ stopping at Majorcan bodegas, selling fish and chips and Watney’s Red Barrel and calamares and two veg and sitting in cotton sun frocks squirting Timothy White’s suncream all over their puffy raw swollen purulent flesh cos they ‘overdid it on the first day’!

• Cat says:

…And being herded into endless Hotel Miramars and Bellvueses and Bontinentals with their international luxury modern roomettes and their Watney’s Red Barrel and their swimming pools full of fat German businessmen pretending they’re acrobats and forming pyramids and frightening the children and barging in to the queues and if you’re not at your table spot on seven you miss your bowl of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup, the first item on the menu of International Cuisine, and every Thursday night there’s a bloody cabaret in the bar featuring some tiny emaciated dago with nine-inch hips and some big fat bloated tart with her hair brylcreemed down and a big arse presenting Flamenco for Foreigners…

• NeverLetMeDown says:

And then some adenoidal typists from Birmingham with flabby white legs and diarrhoea trying to pick up hairy bandy-legged wop waiters called Manuel and once a week there’s an excursion to the local Roman Ruins to buy cherryade and melted ice cream and bleeding Watney’s Red Barrel and one evening you visit the so called typical restaurant with local colour and atmosphere and you sit next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing ‘Torremolinos, torremolinos’ and complaining about the food – ‘It’s so greasy here, isn’t it?’ – and you get cornered by some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and Dr. Scholl sandals and last Tuesday’s Daily Express and he drones on and on and on about how Mr. Smith should be running this country and how many languages Enoch Powell can speak and then he throws up over the Cuba Libres.

• Cat says:

…And sending tinted postcards of places they don’t know they haven’t even visited, ‘to all at number 22, weather wonderful, our room is marked with an “X”. Wish you were here.’..

• Cat says:

…’Food very greasy but we have managed to find this marvelous little place hidden away in the back streets.’…

• Cat says:

‘Where you can even get Watney’s Red Barrel and cheese and onion…’
              ‘…crisps and the accordionist plays “Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner”‘ and spending four days on the tarmac at Luton airport on a five-day package tour with nothing to eat but dried Watney’s sandwiches….

15. XianZomby says:

I’d pay $12,500 to be one of up to 20 people that could attend a private, 5-hour reunion concert of the four original Beatles. If only they were all still alive.

16. LanMan04 says:

Well, I wouldn’t, but that doesn’t means $12.5K is a bad deal for this kind of crazy adventure.

17. mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

I got the Groupon email about this.. I looked at the itinerary, and saw that for an entire week, they’d be moored over the site and 2 passengers would descend at a time with a pilot to view the wreckage for about 3-4 hours.

Sounds wonderful. Except that for the remainder of the week, you’re stuck in the middle of the North Atlantic with absolutely nothing to do except for onboard cruise activities.. Nothing to look at aside from blue water as far as the eye can see.

Plus a Leonardo DiCaprio impersonator’s autograph? Meh.

• bobert5696 says:

I don’t know what cruise ship this is on, but based on the two royal caribbean cruises I have been on, there is more then enough to keep you busy during your stay. The days at port were always fun, but the days just on the ship were a lot of fun too!

18. HogwartsProfessor says:

I might do it. I’d have to take a Valium first, but it would be worth it. I really really wanted to take a memorial cruise this year, but the most I’ll probably be able to do is watch the movie.

19. TravelWithDignity says:

If I had the cash I absolutely would do this. Especially all the fun speculation & hype with the new Challenger Deep attempt by several teams.

20. baristabrawl says:

But it’s $12,000 for a cheap trip to the bottom of the ocean that will likely be your last. Seriously, how good is their submarine for $12k?

• George4478 says:

Pretty sure they didn’t take your $12,000 fee and then go buy a sub with it.

I paid $89 to go on a plane flight. “What! How good a plane could it be for $89?” — would you ever say this?