Hire Someone Else On Your Flight To Deal With Your Screaming Kid

The worst part about flying with your kids when they go into meltdown mode is probably the repeated annoyed looks from fellow passengers and mutterings of “Why can’t they handle their own children?” while you’re frantically offering toys/treats/bribes. Touting a cure is Nanny in the Clouds, an in-flight nanny service to take those tantrums out of your hands.

FoxNews.com spotlights the Nanny in the Clouds model, which works thusly: Parents and nannies register for free, and when the parent finds a potential caregiver that happens to be flying on their flight, they pay $10 to the site to connect. Then they’re on their own to decide whether or not they trust that person to care for their child, and negotiate a rate.

The involved parties then decide on a place to meet, and for how long the nanny will take care of the kids — whether they take them on at check-in or just sit with them on the flight to deal with their needs and mood swings. Nannies submit references so parents can do a little digging before handing over their children.

As the founder puts it in a recent interview, “The mom gets childcare, and the nanny makes some extra money on a flight [during which] she otherwise would have been doing nothing.” And the parent gets to shrug and exchange looks with everyone else when the kid starts acting up!

Perhaps the parents of the screaming toddler who got the family kicked off a JetBlue flight last week or the mom whose daughter’s tantrum had a man triggering the emergency slide to allay her outburst could’ve used something like this.

Flying with Kids? Hire an in-flight nanny [FoxNews.com]

Comments

1. GMFish says:

This won’t end well….

2. Cat says:

“Shut that kid up, lady!”

I’m sure clad that’s not my bratty kid!

::Smug Mode::

3. Ed says:

Hire someone else? Heck, I used to just send my kids ahead on the previous flight as an unattended minor.

4. rpm773 says:

And we get $10 for, um, well, we spent a lot of money to register the domain name.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’m surprised someone would criticize the website for trying to have a business model with an idea no one else came up with, which also requires webmasters, customer services reps, etc. for the website.

I mean, really? Someone’s just going to manage the website for free?

5. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

I’ll take horrible ideas for 600 Alex.

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I only imagine rich people doing this, which makes sense because they’d get a 1st class ticket while giving the nanny a coach ticket as far back as possible.

• shepd says:

In fact, that makes sense since I bet two coach seats (one for the nanny and one for the child) are cheaper than one first class seat. Add in another child and the savings would be enough to pay for the nanny to fly back + a week’s nanny pay.

• antihero says:

Actually this might be a great service for someone who is traveling alone with multiple children. I see single parents traveling all the time trying to juggle multiple kids and gear.

Sometimes it helps to play man-to-man defense instead of getting outnumbered in zone/prevent defense.

7. AngryK9 says:

Cue TSA involvement in 3..2..1..

8. mh83 says:

Paying someone to take care of your kid when you’re busy or away? That’s normal.

Paying someone to take care of your kid when you’re sitting in the same enclosed space with nothing else to do? You might be a rich asshole…

9. Wireless Joe says:

I already use these nannies in the clouds.

/I keed

10. Saskiatas says:

I don’t have kids and am not much of a ‘kid’ person, but even I know that handing a toddler off to a stranger while the parent is within sight is a BAD idea. I can visualize the outstretched arms and shrieks of “Mommmmmmyyyyyyy!” as the nanny-for-the-moment tries to convince the child that they are not being abandoned during what is alread a confusing, noisy, and disruptive day in the child’s life.

11. sirwired says:

One word: Codeine.

A single dose of opioid cough syrup will not turn your kid into an addict, and will make the trip go easier for you, your kid, and everybody on the flight.

• humphrmi says:

You don’t even have to go that far. Our pediatrician used to suggest giving the kid a regular dose of children’s decongestant just prior to the flight. That, and a prescription ear medicine that dulls the effects of pressure did the trick for us when our kids were young.

• eezy-peezy says:

paregoric worked well when it was available….

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I wish people would do something. The last time I flew the last leg was a commuter jet. The baby in the front row screamed for 40 minutes solid. I thought after 10 minutes or so it might pass out from lack of oxygen, but no. I sat right on the wing and had all sorts of engine noise, but nothing could drown out that screaming kid. I’m thankful the flight was so short. The mother looked like she didn’t even hear it.

• vastrightwing says:

You sir win my vote!

• vastrightwing says:

You sir win my vote!

• Intheknow says:

Benadryl was recommended to me by my children’s pediatrician 22 years ago (He had 9 kids himself). Always worked like a charm. Kids slept the whole trip!

12. Doubting thomas says:

Yeah because when the parents can’t control their child some stranger will have the immediate solution that will shut them up.

13. Razor512 says:

babies are annoying, and airline tickets are expensive. A nearly broke person will not be able to pay much for the care, and there is a price tag for the pain and suffering needed to take care of a baby, especially on a plane (which I might add is a device that experts spent nearly 100 years designing the plane around inducing tantrums in kids in order to make the flight as unpleasant as possible.

The price tag for having someone else take that on directly will be too high for most people to afford.

A better solution will be to add a baby/toddler class on the plane which will be a soundproofed section (a few rows in size) where people with kids who will be noisy will go and no one will be able to hear.

or convert part of the cargo hold for seating, then tack on a noisy fee where if you have a kid that you know will constantly throw a tantrum, then you have to pay extra, and those funds will be spread out based on range to the people siting near them. The fee can be avoid + a 5% reduction in ticket price if they take a seat in the cargo hold.

• Razor512 says:

Also wanted to add, if I was going to take care of someone elses kid during a flight, I would not accept it for any less than the full cost of my airline ticket.

• eezy-peezy says:

I remember when they had a soundproof “nursery” section in the back of the church, so mothers with babies could attend and not disrupt the services.

14. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

The first person that came into mind is someone that looks like “Dog the bounty hunter”.

I guess when they mentioned “hire someone else” they meant less of a hit man, more of a nanny. :

15. Fiona says:

My suggestion: People on a plane get a cumulative decibel-minute allowance. If a passenger (kid or no) exceeds their decibel-minute allowance, they must pay $10 per excess decibel-minute to every passenger on board.

16. oldtaku says:

Great, the kid is going to be bawling the entire trip with ‘Mommeeeee mommeeeeee where’s mommmeeeeeee?’ I see this even when it’s the father, much less a stranger.

17. eezy-peezy says:

Let’s see, I can’t control my two-year-old who is screaming and kicking and trying to get out of the seat…… maybe a paid stranger will have better luck. Cause kids listen to strangers so much better…..

18. failurate says:

Saw the family that got kicked off the flight on a Morning Show of some sort. The kids squirmed and fussed throughout the entire interview. The parents seem like nice people, but they didn’t seem to have a single assertive bone between the two of them.
    My out of left field assumption is that their parenting approach is to be extremely patient and just let things work themselves out. This probably works fine at home, but probably not so much when working on someone else’s clock.

19. Power Imbalance says:

When did passengers get the right to not be annoyed?

There are plenty of things that annoy me on flights, so where’s the buff dude I can hire to beat the shit out the asshole in front of me putting his chair up and down or the woman I can hire to slap the shit out of the fat lady taking up all three seats forcing me to sit on the last 1/8 of my chair?

You’re in an enclosed space with a bunch of different people you have to deal with what your dealt. Don’t like it? Hire a private charter.

20. PsiCop says:

I have to ask the obvious question, one so plain that it’s screaming to be asked:

Why do people have children if they don’t plan on disciplining and controlling them? Why hire someone else to control your kids … while they’re on the same plane?

Seriously. Can someone explain this to me? I honestly don’t get it. What kind of parents would do this?

• bassbeast says:

Try having one first, then ask that question. To be honest, I’ve stopped reading most of the comments now on this story because of statements like this. I’m only replying to this one because it’s where I hit my threshold of wanting to smack people.

If you don’t have a kid, you don’t understand developmental stages. Two-year old children are sometimes difficult. Nobody’s kids are immune. Discipline can only take you so far, but neurological developmental milestones will trump cogency every time. On top of that, you don’t know if there might be something mentally wrong with a child (i.e. something spectrum) that’s causing them anxiety. Plus, there are times as a parent you’re just dog tired, because we’re shockingly human like everyone else.

That being said, my wife and I are taking our almost-two year old son on his first short plane ride on Friday. You can bet I’ll be armed with some children’s Gravol just in case, but I’m going to see what happens before immediately drugging him.

But I’ll be damned if I have to read one more smart-ass comment from someone online who hasn’t spent one single day raising a child. And by raising I child, I don’t mean plopping it down in front of a TV for three hours at a stretch. I mean waking up before your child does so you can have breakfast ready for you and him, and reading and singing to him, and paying attention to him. That’s work, folks. Putting up with a little bit of inconvenience? Grow up and learn that the world doesn’t revolve around you.

• GoldVRod says:

How do you know PsiCop does not have children?

• Buck Flintrock says:

It may not revolve around me but it also doesn’t revolve around your child. There are plenty of parents who can control their children. I’m sorry but you don’t just get to throw your hands up in the air and let your child run around.

Having a kid is tough but so are a lot of other things in life. You decided to spawn so you don’t get to whine about your precious child is sooo headstrong. Deal with it and be a parent.

If a person is willing to pawn their child off to a perfect stranger and let them assume responsibility for the kid ruining the trip of dozens of other people, then that person is a pathetic excuse for a parent.

• PsiCop says:

Re: “Try having one first, then ask that question.”

I’m trying to figure out how it is that you know I don’t have any kids. But it’s not coming to me. Maybe you’re a real telepath?

In any event, the rest of your comments amount to, “Because I assume you don’t have kids, that means you’re not entitled to comment on how parents handle their kids.” Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Merely going anywhere means that, by definition, I will encounter other kids and their parents and will have to deal with how they raise them. I can’t avoid it (except maybe by locking myself in my room for the rest of my life).

Your assumption that I don’t have kids, and conclusion based on that, that I have no right to comment, is really irrelevant, in any case. It’s not MY fault you or anyone else had kids. It wasn’t MY choice. It was yours, and theirs. Telling me how tough it is, is not going to help. If you didn’t want to deal with the consequences of having kids, then you shouldn’t have had any. But since you DID choose to have them, then accept the responsibility of having done so, and deal with it.

If having kids is so horrifically bad, and if they’re so horrible to take care of, and if this is something everyone in society is aware of, then I must ask: Why did YOU have them?

21. vastrightwing says:

Pffft! Hasn’t anyone heard of Vick’s nighttime?

• mingtae says:

I don’t think electrification, drowning or hanging kids while go over very well. . .

Oh you mean the cough medicine Vick. . . . Nevermind.

22. vastrightwing says:

Pffft! Hasn’t anyone heard of Vick’s nighttime?

23. CreditSense-CreditRecovery says:

What GMFish said. I flew to Disney World from Salt Lake City and Hawaii from Salt Lake City with my 3 and 7 year olds. Didn’t have a single meltdown (we took care of that way before getting on the flight. Thank you “Parenting With Love and Logic”)
    But had my kid lost it, I had already thought about exactly what my plan of action would be to put an end to it, and it had nothing to do with giving into them or trying to bribe them. But it would have worked like a charm.
    Parents who have kids out of control on a flight have kids out of control in every other area of their lives. Good luck with that!

24. gman863 says:

The TSA should allow airlines to offer and use ether, ball gags and duct tape to take care of unruly children.

25. pika2000 says:

Wow, a smart business opportunity! Kudos to whoever came up with the idea.