Man Fills Out Bogus Job Application Just To Steal $5 From Tip Jar

Know what’s a crappy way to repay a local business for trying to create more jobs? Pilfering cash from the tip jar while filling out a fake application for employment, which is what one man did recently in Modesto, Calif. Not only are you stealing from the people who already work there, but you’re wasting the employers’ time. Shame!

CBS13 in Sacramento says a man asked for an application at a local drive-through that offers shaved ice, coffee and treats. While filling out the application with fake details, the owners say surveillance video shows his hand in the tip jar, taking out about $5.

“There’s his hand that slips in the tip jar,” said one co-owner. “He uses newspaper to cover it up.”

She’s more angry that he took advantage of the fact that they were looking to hire new employees for his nefarious scheme. As the employee behind the counter wrote down follow-up information on the bogus application, the man allegedly dipped into the jar.

“The size of his hand kinda clinked the to jar as he pulled his hand out,” said the co-owner, adding that the employee noticed the tips were gone when the man left, and followed him out.

“And he told him, ‘You can either give the $5 back or [he] could call the police. It was his choice,'” she says. He gave the cash back and left.

Because of the man’s sticky fingers, the shop is only taking online applications for the job and won’t keep more than $5 in the tip jar.

Modesto Job Seeker Actually After Money in Tip Jar [CBS 13]

Comments

1. eezy-peezy says:

The size of his hand kinda clinked the to jar as he pulled his hand out,

what does that mean?

2. dolemite says:

“local *drive-through* that offers shaved ice, coffee and treats”. Why do they have a tip jar?

3. Cat says:

One more reason *not* to have a “tip jar”.

• Difdi says:

Or have a tip jar that is just a visually attractive entry port to a chute that goes through the counter to the real tip jar underneath.

4. Bent Rooney says:

I’m guessing they put his application in the “maybe” pile.

5. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Yeah but employers are evil and only care about profits, so no problem with that part of it.

6. sufreak says:

Seems a little extreme to only take online applications going forward.

Nothing like creating a policy because of a single idiot.

• Cat says:

Everyone is doing “Online only” applications these days, whether it’s a form online or submitting a resume by email.

Which I see as extremely stupid – it’s hard to connect without that initial “face-to-face”, and they all want a social security number before they’ll take your application online. That’s a lot of places, and a lot of chances, for private data to go astray.

• frank64 says:

Yeah, and Craigs list job posting are often scams. I have not applied to jobs before that had directed me to a website and asked for the SS. But I also made a resume up with a fake name. If they ever called me on a real job I would have told them what I did, but none of my suspicions ended up to be a real job.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I only filled out one for a private company that wanted SS beforehand, and it was a local company. I didn’t really want to put it in there but it wouldn’t let me continue until I did. It was a hotel company, and had a lot of security-type screening questions besides.

None of the other online apps I have done since being laid off have asked for it except for government ones.

• FacebookAppMaker says:

The dairy queen I worked at got robbed for the very first time in it’s 30 year run. I was working the cash, and someone came in at 10:45, and took the money at machete-point (It’s like knife-point but with a mofuken machete). After that, they changed the policy to close the dining hall at 10, and leave the drive through open until 11 (normal closing time).

Needless to say I transfered really fast.

• Peggee is deeply offended by impetulant, pernicious little snots disrespecting her and violating her personal space at Best Buy. says:

Won’t they just come in to rob the store at 9:45 now?

7. gargunkle says:

I think you mean “the side of his hand,” not “the size of his hand.”

You need an editor.

• Anathema777 says:

To be fair, that is a direct quote from the original article. So while the Consumerist does need an editor, in this case, so does the CBS local station that wrote the story.

8. kataisa says:

Solution: remove those obnoxious Tip Jars. For the record, tip jars evolved from the “take a penny, leave a penny” jars at 7-Eleven stores for customers who were always short a few pennies.

Then management got the bright idea of turning the penny jars into “tip jars” as a way to get the public to subsidize their workers’ salaries so they wouldn’t have to pay them a living wage.

Never leave money in a tip jar.

• RvLeshrac says:

You understand that they’re not going to pay employees a single cent more if there’s no tipping, right? You’re just fucking the employees over.

• Stannous Flouride says:

Where in hell did you get the idea that tip jars evolved out of take-a-penny trays?
      That’s the most absurd reasoning I have ever heard, even on this site which seems to attract it like a rare earth magnet.

9. ancientone567 says:

Now you know times are getting tough. Lucky he did not use a gun.

10. TasteyCat says:

At least he didn’t fill out the application with real information.

11. Nyxalinth says:

And to pay a fair living wage.

12. Stannous Flouride says:

My favorite tip jar of all time was at a taqueria next to my favorite bar, a Slim Jims container that was attached to the counter with a short chain and had hat pins stuck into it at a slight downward angle. Easy to reach in, nigh impossible to pull out of without major blood loss, and easy to turn upside down to empty.