No, Walmart Is Not Sending You A $1,000 Gift Card On Your Cell Phone

Think it’s your lucky day because a text message shows up on your phone offering you $1,000 in cold hard spending card cash at Walmart? It’s a scam, says the company, so don’t follow any of the directions given and don’t expect that gift card.

The text scam is hitting Denver lately, says CBS4, where a message arrives either on your phone or in your email inbox. It directs consumers to a site where they’re asked for their name, email address and phone number. You should not give out that kind of information, says Walmart in a statement to the news station.

We are very unhappy to learn that there is a scam intending to defraud our customers and we encourage them to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or their state’s attorney general’s office. Walmart doesn’t participate in these types of promotions and has no affiliation with them. We don’t participate in any type of promotion that would ask for certain personal or financial information.

Scammers can use databases of cell phone numbers to hit up lots of consumers at one time. Check out your state’s No Call list as well as the National No Call list, which can help cut down on unsolicited texts and phone calls.

There is a legit way to get a $1,000 gift card from Walmart, after partaking in a customer service survey online. That survey requires your transaction number from your store receipt, but doesn’t ask for personal or financial info.

Walmart Gift Card Text Hits Phones Across the Denver Metro Area [CBS4]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Fiance got this last week. I don’t respond to texts from people I don’t know. Even then, I would never respond if it involved money.

2. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

The fact that it’s $1,000 is a big red flag, just like those “free iPad” or “free laptop” commercials on the radio every morning.

I bet a scammer could get more hits by offering $25 or $50 gift cards.

3. Snoofin says:

How can anyone fall for all these scams. Must be a lot of stupid people out there or they were never taught by their parents that if it seems to good to be true it definitely is

4. Hoss says:

On one hand Walmart says never give out your name and email address, on the other hand it has a contest linked to a survey. So how do they identify you with the prize without a name and address?

5. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

“Check out your state’s No Call list as well as the National No Call list, which can help cut down on unsolicited texts and phone calls.”

Sorry, this only works for legitimate companies who actually use the list and go by the rules. Scammers and thieves don’t really care if you’re on a DNC list or not.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Scammers, thieves, political candidates, and charities all ignore the DNC list. And the last two aren’t even breaking the law in doing so. >:|

6. lehrdude says:

I feel so ripped off!!! The text message I got yesterday was only offering me a $100 Walmart gift card…

7. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

“No, WalMart is not sending you a $1000 gift card”

… yeah, and one percenters aren’t leaving 1% tips with nasty notes written on the receipt either, but some things are easy for some people to believe.

8. foodfeed says:

The text directs you to a website that signs you up for reoccurring payments which they hope you don’t notice. They’re sending these out for a bunch of different big businesses.

9. DrPizza says:

“It’s a scam, says the company”
    Well, duhh-hhhhhh.

$5 says that people who fall for these scams are not the type of people who read The Consumerist.

10. myteebay says:

I got this text at 7:20 this morning and I live in the Atlanta area, so I suspect it’s a nationwide problem. I did file the online complaint form (1088G) with the FCC, but I doubt these kinds of unsolicited texts will stop anytime soon. I received two in the last few months about winning a free iPad. Both were in the wee hours of the morning (like 3 am)! I filed complaints on those, too, but without much hope that they will go after the scammers sending them out.

11. crispyduck13 says:

Yep just got this about an hour ago, although it was only for a $50 giftcard. Even in scams I get the short end of the stick :(

12. CubeRat says:

Well, I’ll be… I got a new cell phone from T-Mobile in January, and all the calls in the first day or two were scammers. I thought T-Mobile sold my new phone number to the scammer for extra money.

13. rjaguar3 says:

For those who haven’t made a Wal-Mart transaction, here is the official entry link:

14. HogwartsProfessor says:

Thanks. I posted this on my Facebook page. There are some people I know who might fall for it, sadly. They also love to post stuff without checking it on snopes.com first.

15. Blueskylaw says:

I received a text saying I “won” a $500 gift cart and to go to the website to “claim” it. I texted back that I got a better offer for a $1000 gift card and I wouldn’t participate in their promotion. About one hour later I got a text saying I had “won” a $1000 gift card. lol

16. C. Ogle says:

My wife fell for this scam a couple of years ago on a web site popup. She gave them her social security number, phone number, address, email address, etc and didn’t bother to wonder if she was getting scammed until they asked for her credit card number right at the end when it was already too late. We had to put a fraud alert on her credit account, but her personal info had already been sold to a million different unscrupulous spammers and who knows who all was wandering around with her identity after that.

Most people will ignore the obvious scam alerts when the greed factor is high enough, unless they visit sites like this or have been scammed in the past. Being security-savvy comes with a price.

17. sendmoney2me says:

I JUST got this in Miami today lol

18. pixiegirl says:

My 76 year old dad got this text the other week. He can open texts but not send them lol he shows me this text and asks me if it’s real and I told him no it’s a scam this comfirms I was right.