Doritos Shells Arrive At Taco Bell Restaurants Nationwide Tonight At Midnight

UPDATE: After further review of when this news was posted and reviewing taco calendars, we realize that the Doritos tacos are actually ALREADY ON SALE. Forgive the confusion, and commence freaking out.

—————————————————–

We know you’ve been breathless with anticipation, wondering when Taco Bell would bring the hard shells made from Nacho Cheese Doritos to your local eatery, so it is with great pleasure that we report the Doritos Locos Tacos are rolling out at all Taco Bells across the country tonight at midnight. Start saving up stomach room.

Here at Consumerist, we’ve been fascinated by this unholy alliance since last April, following it from first sighting, to testing and through to official news of its impending introduction. And now, here we are.

The Associated Press (via OrgeonLive.com) shares the good news of the big debut at 5,600 locations, adding that a Doritos Cool Ranch taco shell is planned for fall. What! Yes. Doritos and Taco Bell are totally in love.

This isn’t any ordinary run-of-the-mill new product either, as parent company Yum Brands says they’re going to spend $75 million in advertising to get the word out about the Doritos Loco Tacos. That’s three times more than they usually spend, which means, serious business.

“It’s kind of like the brand has its mojo back,” said Brian Niccol, Taco Bell’s chief marketing and innovation officer. “We’re doing what we really do best, which is first innovation.”

Also, good at feeding people late at night who may or may not be drunk and attempting to walk through the drive-thru. Hypothetically speaking.

Taco Bell bets big on Nacho Cheese Doritos to take it out of its shell [OregonLive.com]

Comments

1. Coffee says:

God, if only I still smoked weed.

2. Cat says:

I imagine them being delivered by armed agents in Brink’s trucks.

3. kc2gvx says:

“Taco Bell won’t discuss the details of their entanglement with Doritos, but it’s clear they’re pretty happy about shacking up.”

Taco Bell owned by Yum! Yum was spun off from Pepsi, but Pepsi still controls Yum Brands. Frito Lay makes Doritos, also owned by Pepsi. The shacking up is not so mysterious.

4. Kredal says:

The Taco Bell by me had the Dorito shells today… so I tried one. And ended up with dorito cheese dust all over my fingers. Not worth the extra cost, imo.

• nbs2 says:

How much more are they?

• Kredal says:

Um… like 30 cents more than the equivalent non-Dorito-shelled tacos.

• nbs2 says:

Yeah, I looked up the price after I posted (I should have realized somebody would have it posted). $1.29 does seem a bit pricy for them. Although, maybe a post-class snack of a beefy crunchy and a dorito taco for $2.28 wouldn’t be a bad deal

5. Rebecca K-S says:

Judging by the fact that I’ve already seen pictures of this mysterious taco tweeted, and that TB’s countdown clock reads “0,” under the text “coming March 8,” I’m thinking maybe this post is a day late.

6. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Is there going to be a Cool Rach/Cool American shell???????

7. Shinchan - Please assume that all of my posts are sarcastic unless indicated otherwise says:

“Start saving up stomach room.”

more like “Start saving up toilet paper.”

8. AllanG54 says:

I’ve never eaten at TB. I don’t think this is a reason to start.

9. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

It’s hard to get excited about this article, when the top related article on the left is about the Taco Bell salmonellia outbreak.

10. jsweitz says:

I had one for lunch today. It wasn’t really all that different from a regular taco other than it getting all over your hand. The shell just tasted a little cheesy.

11. Dr. Shrinker says:

“I enjoy the cramps and diarrhea, if only I could get orange-stained fingers, too.”

12. Ed says:

Yum! Gimme that trans-fat stuff! (and before anyone says the label says no trans fat, Frito Lay rounds down. The stuff has partially hydrogenated soybean and cottenseed oil, which is gobbeldygook speak for trans-fat.)

13. Laura Northrup says:

Wait. I went to Taco Bell for lunch today and they had signs for this thing plastered all over the drive-thru board. But you can’t order them until tonight? FALSE ADVERTISING! I’M GOING TO WRITE TO CONSUMERI– Oh. Wait.

• elangomatt says:

Actually, I got an email Tuesday afternoon saying that I could go that evening after midnight and get these tacos. I briefly considered going just so I could say I went to a midnight release party at Taco Bell, then I realized how stupid that sounded. Perhaps it was a gradual rollout over a few days across the country? I am in northern IL and all three taco bell’s in my area were supposed to have them Tues night/Wed morning at midnight.

14. theotherwhitemeet says:

Sometimes I can’t tell if this site demonizes or glorifies fast food.

15. jrwn says:

I just had one for lunch. Good food!!

16. crazydavythe1st says:

yeah I think you meant *arrived*, Consumerist. They were good. Nice long line of about 8 cars when I arrived at 12:15.

Yes, I attended the premier of the Dorito Taco. AMA.

17. Jenn98765 says:

Rushed in to get one today (seriously) – first time in a Taco Bell in years. If you eat it inside of the holder they give you, I don’t see how you get it on your fingers – they give you a method to prevent Dorito fingers…

• jsweitz says:

The cardboard holder doesn’t grip the taco at all, so you either have to smash it with the holder or pull it out with your fingers.

18. I just blue myself says:

I had one for lunch today and it was delicious! I’m surprised they haven’t done this earlier.

19. 6T9 says:

I now have a reason to get drunk tonight, other than the fact that it’s Thursday.

20. reybo says:

Wasting space on this is an insult to the 90% for whom this is worthless. I won’t accuse anyone of accepting money for this plug, or of being a teenager, but you should be aware of appearances.

• nbs2 says:

Meh. It’s a bit of a big deal, inasfar as consumers are: a) based on sales figures big fans of Doritos and Taco Bell and b) in the midst of a $75m advertising blitz. It helps to be informed about these things.

• Coffee says:

You apparently haven’t followed the Consumerist commenter zeitgeist…it’s more than happy to receive this particular bit of news.

Because we’re gluttonous pigs.

21. DM752 says:

I worked at Taco Bell for a few days when I was 15. 18 years later and I still have not eaten there since.

22. Marike says:

I went to TB yesterday to get a beefy crunchy burrito, but it was gone. :( The woman asked if I wanted to try their new Dorritos taco as that was their new product, so I said yes.

I prefer the regular taco – the Dorritos shell was too salty for me. I appreciated the paper shell it comes in to prevent the cheese fingers, however.

23. StarKillerX says:

I actually stopped by Taco Bell for one of the Beefy Crunch burritos today (the ones with the hot corn chips in them) only to find out they were discontinued but they started offering these today.

The shell is very good, but in my opinion it sort of overwhelms the meat and cheese flavor of the taco itself, all things considered I miss the beef crunch.

• elangomatt says:

Dang, they discontinued those? They were pretty good! Seems like places always discontinue the items I like the most!

24. BlueHighlighterNextToACoozie says:

So who can save me gas to Taco Bell? Are these 99 cents like their regular crispy taco? Or are they forcing you into overpaying for tomatoes and sour cream by only offering a “supreme” version? I dislike tomatoes and dislike paying 50 cents for a half ounce of sour cream even more. 5 tacos for 5 bucks and change and I put my own sour cream on it is a win, well not MY sour cream but a container of sour cream I bought at store. 3 tacos with bad sour cream for 6ish dollars not worth it. Esp considering the high odds of a the runs that T Bell makes you gamble with.

25. Memtex784 says:

Good for those late night after bar munchies.

26. RayanneGraff says:

…because Americans just aren’t fat enough yet.

27. Snip says:

We have them here already and they’re freaking delicious. But I probably won’t be buying them again, only because the shells are more fragile than the regular corn shells. I’m already a cleaning bill waiting to happen with tacos, I don’t need an easily broken shell to make it worse.

But they are delicious.

28. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Yuck. I loves me some Taco Bell – or pretty much any available approximation of Mexican food – but Doritos are gross. It’s well beyond me why anyone likes them. Xp

29. technoreaper says:

Taco Bell is getting too greedy. I paid $1.69 for a supreme Doritos Taco. The regular one, without tomatoes and sour cream was $1.29. There is nothing that justifies the extra 40 cents in cost for that. It should be 10 cents. I made tacos yesterday, and they are criminally cheap to make. The sour cream and tomatoes cost almost nothing. Chipotle and Qdoba are just as ridiculous. The mom and pop Mexican joints are going to destroy them, and they are superior.

• crazydavythe1st says:

I think the reason Taco Bell is successful is because it isn’t Mexican food. It’s some weird Mexican-American junk food hybrid and they seem proud of it. and oddly enough, sometimes I crave it.

30. Eyegor says:

Meh. I got all excited and dragged the kids off to feast on Doritos tacos.

Totally not impressed. The shells taste ok, but they’re so thin and fragile that the taco disintegrates in your hand and you’re left with pile of pink-slime derived glop on the taco wrapper.

Summary: Total Fail

31. 2 Replies says:

Spoiler:
    They don’t taste like Doritos. They’re blander.