Southwest Passenger: I Was Detained For 10 Hours Over Nail Polish Squabble

Painting your nails on a plane can cause problems. There are the obvious ones like annoying nearby passengers with the fumes, or the potential for spilling nail polish everywhere if you run into some turbulence. And if you get into an argument with the flight attendant, there’s apparently the chance you’ll be detained for 10 hours when you land.

A Southwest Airlines passenger says she was trying to paint her nails while en route from California to Houston last Sunday. A flight attendant asked her to stop. She says she obliged and apologized.

A little while later, the passenger says she had the idea to finish up her last two nails in the plane bathroom, so as to not bother anyone.

But when she came out, a second flight attendant was standing outside the lavatory and the two got into a scholarly debate on in-flight etiquette.

“She was screaming at me and wouldn’t stop,” the woman tells KTRK-TV. “She was getting so loud, while I was sitting in my seat, and I was just like, ‘Will you stop!’ And I was loud when I said, ‘Stop bitching at me,’ because she wouldn’t end the conversation.”

So when the plane landed in Houston, a pair of police officers were waiting. They interviewed the passenger and the attendant and asked the D.A. about pressing charges of “abusive profane language.”

The passenger says she was detained for 10 hours before a judge finally got around to her and dismissed the profane language charge.

Woman detained on Southwest flight after argument with flight attendant [KTRK]

Comments

1. NaOH says:

You can be charged for swearing in the US? Fuck that.

• Portlandia says:

Remember, she was in Houston…TEXAS….go figure.

• howie_in_az says:

You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

• IWanaGoFishing says:

She wasn’t arrested for swearing. She was arrested for acting like a jackass and being insubordinate to a flight attendant. The use of vulgarities just happens to have been the offense she was charged with. The officer was likely trying to be kind and avoid charging her with disorderly conduct, a criminal vs. civil penalty.

• bluline says:

I read a different account that said the passenger wasn’t actually asked to stop polishing her nails. Rather, according to what I read, the FA suggested that a plane wasn’t the best place to do it. So when the passenger emerged from the lavatory, the FA said, “Why didn’t you stop when I told you to?” or something to that effect, to which the passenger responded, “You didn’t tell me to stop.”

Whatever. I can think of worse things than polishing nails on a plane. And the FA seems to have control and anger issues. There was no excuse for continuing to berate the passenger after she returned to her seat. What did the FA hope to accomplish with that tirade?

• bluline says:

I found the original article. Here’s what it said:

Daniels asked the passengers on both sides if they would mind her painting her nails. They said, ‘No, go right ahead.’

But a flight attendant wasn’t so obliging.

“I thought it was all going well until the attendant came over and was very upset I was painting my nails, saying it was offending everyone around me,” Daniels told CBS2′s Randy Paige.

Daniels went into the bathroom to finish and a second angry flight attendant was waiting for her.

“She said, ‘Weren’t you just told not to paint your nails?’ and I said, ‘Actually, I wasn’t. I was just told it was offending people around me so I did the right thing and went to an enclosed area,’” Daniels explained.

The passenger went back to her seat and was confronted by the first flight attendant.

“She said, ‘You just blatantly didn’t listen to my rules,’ and she just kept carrying it on and on,” Daniels said.

“She was getting so loud when I was sitting in my seat. I was like, just stop, and I was loud when I said…(expletive) because she wouldn’t end the conversation,” she added in a phone interview.

• foodfeed says:

An enclosed area with nail polish… girl was higher than that plane after that.

• BorkBorkBork says:

That stuff gives me a headache pretty quick. I’d be pissed if she went about painting her nails in an enclosed area.

• Willow16 says:

Me too. My daughter has to paint her nails outside because I have terrible allergies and can’t deal well with the smell of nail polish.

• The Porkchop Express says:

hence why he said charged. that was the charge. I did not know that could happen in the US either (at least not anymore)

• jiubreyn says:

If this is the case, the flight attendant should have been arrested as well. From the article it sounds like she instigated the issue and was just as much of a jackass as the lady who was painting her nails. Very unprofessional.

• Velvet Jones says:

No, they were not being kind. There is a reason why almost no one is every charged with “Interfering with a flight crew”. See, when you file criminal charges, especially serious ones, that requires a little thing called evidence. When charges are pressed the cops or the DA will question the witnesses and the pictures starts becoming a lot cleared. An FA on a power trip might be big and bold when their word is god on the plane, but memories become foggy when they’re called in to court and potential perjury chargers and prison is on the line. I’m sure in many of these cases the FAs versions of events doesn’t turn out to be the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

• Charmander says:

Yes, and her sense of entitlement is quite irritating.

• jiubreyn says:

I live in Texas, and you’re right. My friend’s father got a ticket for speeding while on a bicycle. A bicycle. Let that sink in a bit. :o

• Difdi says:

There’s a hill near my parents house where just coasting from top to bottom on a bicycle will get you up to around 50 mph (25 mph speed limit).

• penuspenuspenus says:

Ya, I’ll let that sink in. And when something tragic happens when a bicyclist decides that they deserve part of the road but don’t have to follow the laws I will just laugh and think how harmless riding a bicycle really is.

2. AcctbyDay says:

Flight attendants have too much power, they also have not near enough. I am not sure what I want with flight attendants in general. I am unhappy with them, but know not what to do.

3. MutantMonkey says:

Why would you ever paint your nails, or use any sort of product that has those types of fumes, on a damn plane?

On some level, she deserved what she got.

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I like to bring a tuna, egg, onion, and beef jerky sandwich on the plane with me. Keeps the riffraff away!

• Nessiah says:

I agree 110%

• repeater says:

Someone did this on a 15 hour international flight I was on once. It was HORRIBLE.

I really really want to get mad at the overreaches of the airline system, but I can’t muster it up right now. As selfish as it is, I would have loved for someone to have dragged the lady who did that to me off the plane, instead of the “whattaya gonna do?” shrug the airline employees gave when people complained and started getting sick on my flight.

• jylcat says:

Because you don’t give a crap about other people?

• Ed says:

On every level she got what she deserved. That is unbelievably rude.

4. motoracer1486 says:

Painting your nails on the plane? I’m glad you got detained. Use your head.

• longfeltwant says:

Agreed. 10 hours of detention is a favor to the lady. Next time, she’ll have to tell a judge why her nails are more important than the breathing of, not to mention the quiet enjoyment of a flight for, a couple hundred of her fellow citizens.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

I concur with the group that thinks the nail polish on the plane is ridiculous. I hate it when my wife does it in the same room as me, let alone on a plane. I would have been pretty irritated with this gal if she did this within a few rows of me!

• Jules Noctambule says:

I’ll take nail polish over BO or poorly-parented children any day.

• Difdi says:

But…nail polish looks freakishly odd when applied to the head. It looks so much nicer on finger (or toe) nails.

5. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

She had flammable nail polish on a plane… so why wasn’t she sent to Guantanamo?

6. foodfeed says:

Who thinks it’s okay to open a container full of noxious fumes on an airplane. Kudos to the flight attendant for wasting your time!

7. Lackwit says:

I would love to hear the flight attendant’s take on this incident.

• Citrus_FA says:

I’m not the flight attendant in question, but I can tell you that every single one you ask will tell you that nail polish is a flammable liquid, and under HAZMAT regulations, it cannot be opened or used during flight.

8. BelleSade says:

I always have my nails painted, but WHY does this woman need to be so inconsiderate? Nail polish stinks, which means in an airplane it’s even worse.

• Lyn Torden says:

It’s also flammable and poses a very dangerous hazard to the plane. The nail polish should have been confiscated at the very least. She should have been charged with endangering a passenger aircraft.

Yeah, I do blame the passenger in this case. I also blame the flight attendant for not doing enough.

• Firethorn says:

Okay, here’s my take on it, as a person with governmental supervision training.

When doing something like this, there should be a written record to back something up, if not a audio recording. Something as simple as a carbon paper(so the airline keeps a copy) form. On said form the behavior should be noted, and the reason for NOT doing said behavior.

Nail Polish might be flammable, but it’s not a huge amount. The main concern is olfactory. So somthing like ‘Could you please* not paint your nails on the plane because it’s an enclosed environment and causes distress to other passangers, even though they might not be sitting directly next to you.

*More for politeness than optionality.

9. az123 says:

I suspect that, as with most of these cases, the passenger was a bit more involved in getting herself detained that this story is highlighting, though I am sure the flight attendants were over-reacting…. but seriously if you are asked not to do something on the plane was it really an absolute need to get those last two nails done after being asked not to do it.

Oh and lets not forget how inconsiderate it is to be opening a very odorous product in a confined space with a hundred plus other people. It seems Karma was just making the world balance out here

• longfeltwant says:

Agreed. This story was from the woman’s perspective, trying to make herself look good, like a victim — but she does not look good, or like a victim, she looks like an inconsiderate bitch who couldn’t be bothered to recognize the obvious offense caused by her noxious nail paint, and then couldn’t even scrape up enough decency to stop when called out for being so rude.

Can someone please submit this to Miss Manners? Seriously, this lady is acting like a petulant teenager.

• regis-s says:

I agree that she probably wasn’t as angelic as she lets on. Especially if there’s a witness to verify the attendant’s story.

However, if she was asked to stop simply because of the smell it wouldn’t be totally outrageous to assume she could finish up in the washroom. If someone can drop a deuce in there without stinking out the plane it seems reasonable to assume the ventilation can handle a little nail polish too.

• az123 says:

The issue probably is that the flight attendants sit right near the rest rooms in most planes, so maybe not filling the whole plane but the attendants, who told her to stop, could smell it. This just comes down to complete stupidity on the part of the passenger, she was given the chance to stop and decided that her vanity was more important. Then managed to escalate the situation to the point they had her arrested.

Like most cases similar to this the charges were dropped because often it takes two to tango and the flight attendants are not innocent enough to avoid getting caught up in the mix and if they charge the people the inappropriate behavior of the attendants would be made extremely public. She should just be glad all she had to suffer was 10 hours for behaving like a child

10. AtlantaCPA says:

So after being asked to stop and supposedly recognizing that she should in fact stop, she decided to just reverse that decision and do it in the bathroom against the request/orders of the flight crew? I blame the OP.

11. kaptainkk says:

Don’t fuck with flight attendants, ever!

12. TheBear says:

Wonder if the stewardess was hot..

13. chemmy says:

Nail polish fumes make me violently ill. VIOLENTLY.
    Next time, seat me next to this woman. When she paints her nails, I guarantee you she will get what she deserves…. All over her nails, lap and shoes.

• cspschofield says:

I salute your willingness to sacrifice for the Greater Good. My sinuses close down and I get a throbbing headache, but that would only make ME miserable.

I don’t think anybody comes off looking good here. The nail-painter is an inconsiderate and self-centered twit. OTOH, detaining her for ten hours is absurd. In a perfect world, somebody should have written her a ticket (wilful disregard of regulations; something like that. Maybe $200 in fines), and that would be that.

Reminds me of a favorite Mr. Boffo cartoon; “Dopes dupe dummies as dingbats doze”

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

The fact that she was detained for 10 hours gives me great satisfaction. She really seems like one of those people who think rules don’t apply to her.

• bluline says:

And peanut fumes can make me deathly ill, too. But I don’t raise a stink about it and demand that no one on a plane eat peanuts.

• little stripes says:

Actually, if you have an allergy to peanuts and tell the crew, they won’t serve peanuts. It’s just easier than having to deal with an allergy attack while flying. This is a safety thing, and it’s common sense.

• azgirl says:

Nail polish potentially contains chemicals like formaldehyde, that are carcinogenic. Minimally may contain toluene and that can make you sick in an enclosed space. Nail polish is also flammable.
        No one should be exposed to these additional chemicals in an enclosed environment like a plane.
        I am actually suprised that the TSA hasn’t banned that kind of material already, but I suppose no one has tried to hijack a plane with it yet.

14. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

While she may not have noticed the aroma from her nail polish, I am willing to bet other passengers did, and complained. It’s not like the flight attendant asked to strip search her. She asked her to stop painting her nails. This lady then tries to get past that by occupying a bathroom to finish painting her nails. As if taking up a bathroom isn’t going to “bother anyone”. I’m sorry, but I have no problem NOT believing anyone who does something like that says when she then tries to play herself off as the “rational and calm” one in a situation, especially if other passengers backed up the story.

• OttersArePlentiful says:

True! I have a hard time believing that she was just calmly sitting in her seat while the stewardess “screamed” at her.

15. anime_runs_my_life says:

Why was it so damned important for her to paint her nails on the plane?

• caradrake says:

Maybe she was meeting someone at her destination.

• BooCackles says:

I wondered that too- I’d think you would end up with a mess if the plane hit turbulence. (I bet the people next to her would have loved to got that all over their clothes.) I think this one falls under common sense- she should have done her nails some other time and she should have stopped when the flight attendant asked her to stop.

16. axiomatic says:

Flight attendants need to fight the serious issues and stop looking for the soapbox on the piddly issues. (Like this one.) That’s the problem with “pocket Hitlers” though, they are insatiable.

• Nessiah says:

I think the well-being of passengers is a serious issue. While she may have taken it too far, she was well within her right to do so after being warned.

17. Velvet Jones says:

I’m sick of these little flight Nazis. Flight Attendants have got to be one of the most over dramatized positions in America. These people are only slightly above a burger flipper, yet they now have more power than a police officer. You can be arrested and face Federal prison for not “following orders” fast enough to please one of these little c*nts. I think they’re actually starting to pass the TSA f*cks on my list of most hated people. I’m highly disturbed on this fascist system of air travel we’re created in this county. Airlines are private operations, yet their employees act as pseudo Federal agents who can have people arrested on their whim.

• pop top says:

Clearly you’re a well-reasoned individual who should be taken seriously on this issue, as evidenced by your use of “cunts” and “Nazis”.

• Cat says:

I really think the passenger was the cunt in this situation.

• pop top says:

I really think that we don’t need to use the word “cunt” to describe women, let alone need to use the word at all in this situation.

• Theoncomingstorm says:

Is “c**t” really any worse than A$$hole, D!ckhead, or any other vulgar name we call each other? A guy can be called a c**t, a tw@t, or, more commonly, a pu$$y.

• jsweitz says:

I’m 99% sure this is a Ron Paul nut

• Velvet Jones says:

Yes, anyone who cherishes freedom and holds to the antiquated notion that constitution is the supreme law of the land is obvious “a nut”. Nice to know such fine thinkers as yourself are members of society.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Can your “burger flipper” run an AED, respond to medical emergencies, is trained what to do in the event of a crash, etc…? If not, your argument is invalid.

• Velvet Jones says:

Yes, there training is sooo stringent. A life guard has more training and it almost certainly in better shape, does that mean life guards should become defacto Federal agents? I wonder how many of the people standing up for the flight attendant actually fly. If you’ve dealt with enough of them you would despise them.

• sirwired says:

Have YOU been through flight attendant training? It’s a bit more involved than that of a lifeguard.

• Velvet Jones says:

Yeah, well I have a B.S. and a M.S., so I should be treated as god then. That’s is you’re logic, correct? A FA with a few weeks of training is somehow makes them special members of society? An LEO at least has minimal training of criminal law and is required to respect citizens rights or face prosecution. No such requirement for an FA, yet they can have someone arrested purely on their word.

• theduckay says:

“That’s is you’re logic, correct? A FA with a few weeks of training is somehow makes them special members of society?”

Really? You have a BS and an MS? I guess they’re just giving those out now since you obviously can’t grasp basic grammar.

• Velvet Jones says:

Yes, I made some typos on my iPhone, which is the easiest thing in the world to type on, so therefor anything I said is complete invalid.

• Doubting thomas says:

An M.S. (not ms, and I am also typing on an iPhone and only using my puddly little AFA degree) in what? Being and asshole? You are talking out of you ass if you think a lifeguard has more training than an F.A. You are not only a rude, condescending jackass but an obnoxiously ignorant one as well. I have worked with Southwest’s training program. Tests every single day, 90% or better to pass, one failure and you are out. Be 30 seconds late once and you are out.

• Velvet Jones says:

FAs are glorified waitresses who have somehow managed to convince a few dimwits in Congress that all rights end went you enter a plane. Let me ask you something. If being an FA is such a challenging career then why do they pay them so poorly? After all, these are highly skilled employees who have training approaching an MD. Oh wait, they don’t.

BTW, you really add weight to your argument by resorting to name calling and personal attacks. I suggest you look in to what it takes to be a trained life guard in a ocean setting. I doubt you could find two FAs in the entire US fleet that could swim out 100 yards in rough surf and pull in a full grown man who is struggling for life.

• Doubting thomas says:

well moron, I happen to have worked as a life guard. I have done polar swims, and 5 mile swims. I called you names no less offensive than the ones your ignorant, offensive ass called FA’s. The big difference was that I used the names against one obnoxious twit who deserved it rather than applying bigoted stereotyping of an entire profession. You know who else makes crappy wages? EMTs, forest rangers, lifeguards, and a dozen other vital and highly trained professions. Of course they do not all get the health fits and additional perks like free travel that FAs get.

• Velvet Jones says:

Aren’t you the same one that made this gem of a comment on another thread:

“Psychology isn’t even a real science, it is a collection of trends and guesses.”

Well, ain’t you the pot calling the kettle black, douche bag.

• Earl Butz says:

Captain of the vessel has absolute and legally unquestionable authority over it. You have no rights on a plane or a boat. And that’s not a recent development.

Flight attendants are legally officers under the captain’s control. I understand you don’t like it, for whatever reason, but that’s how it is. Deal with it.

My dad recently retired as a Master Pilot with US Air. I’ve been hearing about idiots like this Southwest passenger, and idiots like you, my entire life. I’ll be kind and say that I’m unsympathetic to your arguments.

• Velvet Jones says:

“You have no rights on a plane or a boat”. Wow, you must have found a whole new section of case law that no other person in the legal world knows about. I guess the Captain can just pull out of gun and shoot you then if he doesn’t like you.

BTW, nice last name ass clown.

• OttersArePlentiful says:

B’aww, someone needs a huuuuuuug!!!

18. sirwired says:

The passenger deserved to be bitched at. She was asked to not paint her nails, and she did it anyway. The fact that you did it in the airplane bathroom doesn’t help the poor schmuck that has to use the bathroom behind you. (In addition to the fact that other Nail Polish operations, like using remover can make the smoke detector very unhappy.)

She did not, however, deserve to be detained.

• Gorbachev says:

Thank you.

It’s ridiculous that this thing got escalated to an arrest. Epic customer service failure from Southwest.

• dollym100 says:

What a sensible answer. Some of the replies to this post make me worry about the future of democracy in our country. When they think it is OK to detain someone for ten hours for NOT, BREAKING THE LAW, they certainly do not value the benefit of living in a democratic society where the rule of law is most valuable asset we have.

Of course the woman was spreading some obnoxious fumes around but I will give her the benefit of the doubt that this had not occurred to her. The fact that she apologized and thought it would be OK to finished the last two nails in the bathroom makes me believe that she really did not get it.

I wonder if those who bring up the fact that nail polish is flammable are the same ones that immediately lit a cigarette as soon as the non smoking light used to go off. So please spare me that argument. It was not on the list of banned items so that point is moot.

I have a real problem with the response of the flight attendant. I have read so many times how a flight attendant has displayed similar behavior. My son was a frequent flyer on one airline to the far east. He was so astonished by the obnoxious attitude and bad service of one of the flight attendants in business class that he took the time to write to the airlines and express what a disservice she was doing to the company’s reputation. They did give him extra miles on his account which he appreciated but he already enough to last a long time so it did not motivate his call.

I understand that dealing with all types of people makes their work very hard and many of them do a great job but they should not have the power to have people arrested just on their word. Any time a passenger gets into a dispute with a flight attendant they should immediately turn on their cell phone recorder.

19. FilthyHarry says:

Flight attendant said stop.
    She ignored that.
    Cause of fault determined: Passenger.

• longfeltwant says:

In my line of work we have a saying called PEBCAK: when a computer user does something stupid, the “problem exists between chair and keyboard”.

In this story, we have a PEBCAF: problem exists between chair and fingernails.

20. gwynnebaer says:

Nothing to see here. Stupid person on a plane. This isn’t new, and she should’ve considered the consequences of disobeying a directive from a flight attendant.

(Plus, I have no sympathy because I hate the smell of polish and remover, and would be horrified as a fellow passenger to have to sit in close quarters with those noxious fumes).

• OttersArePlentiful says:

I agree completely.

I have asthma, which gets pretty bad when people use polish remover, wear heavy perfume, or smell like cigarettes (someone with good hygiene smoking a fresh cigarette doesn’t bother my throat for some reason, but the accumulated stink of smoke on a heavy-smoker’s clothing, for example, exacerbates my breathing terribly), but having the ability to simply move away makes it bearable. In a plane, I don’t have that same freedom.

21. Portlandia says:

So let me get this right, she was told to stop doing her nails, she decides to sneak to the bathroom and finish up and she’s upset she got caught….sounds about right. sympathy = zero

22. learned says:

Too much power to flight attendants. This has got to be curbed.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

And what exactly did the flight attendant do? Did she restrain the passenger? Tackle her? Beat her? No. She asked her to stop, confronted her when she did it again, and alerted the Captain who called ahead. It was the police who arrested her after interviewing the witnesses.

• Velvet Jones says:

See, but you’re logic fails do to the outcome of the case. The judge let her go, and that is all there is to it. If the little flight attended was correct then the passenger would still be in jail.

23. longfeltwant says:

Good. Arrest this woman. The reason you can’t paint your nails on a plane is the same as the reason you can’t smoke on a plane. It is so outrageously rude and unethical to paint your nails on a plane, that 10 hours of detention is the minimum remedy.

Lady, get a life, get a clue, get some manners.

• PadThai says:

This woman is absolutely is a horrible, inconsiderate, awful, hateful human being, with no regard for the other people trapped in an enclosed space with her.
      I’m glad she got detained for 10 hours. End of story.

24. longfeltwant says:

Perhaps, but none of that rant is appropriate in this case. This story is about an unbelievably rude woman ruining a flight for hundreds of people. If a flight attendant had to tell her twice how inappropriate it is to paint your nails in an enclosed space, that’s twice too often; and if the woman got detained, that’s a minor price to pay for being so incredibly rude.

Also, flight attendants have the job of security officer with a candy coating of wal-mart greeter. It’s nice of you to focus on the candy coating and ignore all the training it takes to be an effective authority figure in emergency situation. Oh wait I said “nice” but I mean “untenably immature”.

• Nyxalinth says:

Most major airports have nail salons. the wench couldn’t wait, for reasons known only to her. I blame the OP.

25. Nessiah says:

She had it coming….perhaps it may have been legal, but it certainly not friendly. I can’t stand when my wife is painting her nails in the living room and tell her to go to the bathroom to do it. The smell is nauseating. In a small compartment (such as in a plane), that woman should have the good sense to wait until she gets to her destination.

26. DoubleShortMILF says:

What a dumbass. Painting your nails on a plane is completely inconsiderate. Too bad they couldn’t charge her with “General Douchebaggery” and sentence her to a weekend on Jersey Shore. Next time you’re dying to do your nails on a plane, get those stick-on decals.

27. swarrior216 says:

She must have left her common sense back in California. She deserved what she got.

28. Bill Smugs says:

Flight attendants have federal authority these days. Even if you are certain that you are 100% correct, and that they are completely in the wrong, just smile at them and suck it up. They have the power to screw up your vacation/business trip, so it’s just not worth arguing.

• Velvet Jones says:

And how is it that an uneducated employee of a private company has Federal authority? This is the root of the problem and it needs to be addressed by the courts.

• foodfeed says:

I know I’m feeding you, but seriously, nothing federal could get damaged as a result of an incident on a large soaring fuel tank above our heads?

29. Hi_Hello says:

She should’ve been tased.

30. kursk says:

It could have been worse, she could have been forced to be on a Southwest plane for 10 hours.

31. Anathema777 says:

I really liked this quote: “Then about 20 minutes into the flight, I discovered I only had two nails left to paint and if I went to the bathroom and did it, it wouldn’t offend anyone.”

She makes it sound like it took her 20 minutes to realize that she only had 2 fingernails left unpainted. “Oh hey! Look at that! What a discovery; only two left…”

• Froggee285 says:

What happened is the woman waited until the flight attendant wasn’t looking, then snuck into the bathroom to finish up. I am a woman, and I have painted my nails before, and I can’t imagine the painting two nails taking more than one minute. So in that minutes time, the flight attendant smelled it again? The flight attendant was watching the woman, and saw her go in there with the polish, and thats just rude, man.

32. KenZ33 says:

At the start of every flight, you are told:
    Federal Aviation Regulations require customers to comply with the lighted customer information signs, other posted signs and crewmember instructions.

The OP failed to comply.

33. Sad Sam says:

Well, I’ve got to somewhat agree with this one. One the OP is so dumb that she didn’t realize that painting her nails with toxic chemicals might upset passengers trapped with her on a flight. She was asked to stop and she did so but then decided to not stop and finish up in the bathroom.

Should she have been detained for swearing, maybe not, but she should have been detained for failing to follow the very appropriate instructions of the flight attendant.

34. Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

She was wrong for using nail polish in the first place and then even wronger for being stupid enough to think that her wet nails from the bathroom would not smell. And if she waited to let the nails dry in the bathroom, she hogged it up so people who are full of pee and poop could not use it. (And the nails will still smell – that odor does linger.)

The flight attendant reported her and berated her. So? Act like an adult if you do not want to be called out like that. It is not the flight attendants fault that the passenger was delayed 10 hours either- that was up to others who handled the complaint on the ground.

35. RedOryx says:

How did the nailpolish make it on the flight anyway?

36. Amy says:

Look, everyone knows that at this point if you are on a flight you are in a lockdown situation. No sassing the flight attendants is allowed. Yes, they have too much power, but you know that going in, and you have the tools to avoid a confrontation. So this moron should not be surprised that she got into all that sh*t. And really, for being one of those people who has to be told not to open a nail polish bottle in a plane full of humans, the ordeal she got was sweet justice.

37. papastevez says:

Yea, yea the passenger was a jerk. More importantly im surprised they didn’t physically throw her off the plane after punching her out.
    “No ticket”
    ~Indiana Jones

38. chicagojay says:

Entitled. Duh, I’ll smoke in the lag too….

39. NumberSix says:

OP is an idiot.

40. scottboone says:

Argh. Great comments. Not.

First off, it is the Flight Attendant’s responsibility to make it perfectly clear what is being asked of the passenger. Not everyone flies everyday. The FA should have stated clearly what airline policy -IS-. TFA did NOT specify what either FAA or airline policy is regarding nail polish: is it legal or not? If it is legal, this passenger did nothing wrong, whether you hate nail polish smell or not, whether it gives you a headache or not. Blame the airlines; blame Congress. If, OTOH, it is illegal to pop open a nail polish bottle on a plane the FA should have taken the time to explain it better and make it *crystal* clear that the use of nail polish aboard a plane is illegal and will not be tolerated. There is clearly enough information to show that such a pointed, strict message was NOT delivered. FA is at fault.

I’m not claiming that the passenger was “right”, or “smart”. What I’m saying is that we need to stop pointing fingers of blame at people who are doing what they THINK is okay, and THEN calling them *criminals* and detaining them. If there isn’t a law, it isn’t illegal…and therefore you can’t DETAIN them. It might be stupid, it might be annoying, it might even make YOU sick…but DUE PROCESS outweighs that.

If the FA wanted this woman to stop using nail polish, she needed to convey a more precise message. Many LEOs are forced to carry a Miranda card with them. THEY ARE FORCED TO READ FROM IT. Perhaps FAs, in this age of heightened security, should be required to bring the “flight book” back to the passenger and read off a “required statement” when these types of things occur.

Otherwise, if it isn’t illegal (as I suspect it is not), we should all be agreeing that detaining a citizen for annoying, though legal behavior is unacceptable. In ANY circumstance: WE DO NOT DETAIN CITIZENS. Repeat that a few times.

• Velvet Jones says:

Thank you. Too many non-thinkers on this board who were quick to crucify this woman. While I hate nail polish, using it is not a crime. If the flight attendant had such a burr up her butt regarding the issue then she should have made it perfectly clear. Passengers are not mind readers. If you want FAs to play Sheriff then the FAs need to be held to the same level of training and accountability.

41. Bagumpity says:

I saw this handled beautifully once. A large-shouldered man in an aisle seat kept getting banged by the drink cart, and instead of apologizing the stewardess went apeshiat crazy about it. She accused him of deliberately “interfering with the operations of an aircraft” and such, yelled, told him he would be taken away by security after landing, etc.

His response? He mocked her mercilessly. It was awesome. He kept saying things like “Oooh. Is widdle baby cwying? Are you sad, little baby?” and making tear-wiping motions over his eyes, going “waaaaah! I’m a crying little baby! My drink cart got hurt by that bad man’s shoulder!” She stopped screaming at him, went “hmmmphf!” and went back to serving drinks. A few minutes later, another airline employee (might have been a pilot or co-pilot) came back to yell at him, but the passengers sitting near him intervened and explained that the stewardess had been the instigator of the affair, and that the man had not done anything wrong or disruptive. Another “hmmpf!” and that was the end of it. Truly beautiful response, though.

42. woogychuck says:

I have no problem with this. Even the one-sided version of the story we get from this woman shows that she was asked to stop and decided to hide in the lavatory to finish. What did she expect? It’s pretty common knowledge that planes are a zero tolerance kind of place. However, it’s also common knowledge that using chemicals that fume in an enclosed space is stupid.

I’d say it’s very likely somebody stupid and inconsiderate enough to do this on a plane, is probably also stupid and inconsiderate enough to berate a flight attendant then lie about it on TV to get sympathy.

43. Egregious Philbin says:

I’ll hold judgement until I find out what color nail polish she was using.

I mean…style is important.

44. Lee Harvey Griswald says:

I certainly agree that it’s pretty obnoxious to be exposing other passengers to those hideous nail polish fumes. I am, however, troubled by the prospect of speech being criminalized. As long as statements are not libelous and don’t meet the “fire in a crowded theater” criteria, anyone should be able say anything at any time.

45. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I blame the chick painting her nails. I would not be a happy camper if I had to go in the bathroom after she painted her nails in there. It’s pretty inconsiderate to paint your nails on an airplane. This really does seem like on of those cases where she knew that they wanted her to stop, but she wanted to see how far she could push it since they didn’t specifically tell her to stop. Then, instead of apologizing, she cursed at the flight attendant. I think the FA probably just wanted her to show some kind of remorse or something. It can be pretty infuriating when people just do what they want with no regard for the rules and for what a person in authority says.

46. timp says:

Typical Flight Attendant Nazi.

They are the power mongers of the sky.

BUT… that girl should NOT be using nail polish on a plane…. MAN… that stuff stinks !

47. MECmouse says:

OP should’ve been tased. Not just for the noxious fumes of nail polish but what if they hit turbulence and that opened bottle went flying!? Sick of inconsiderate people.

48. Serenefengshui says:

You can’t paint your nails on an airplane. Who doesn’t know that? OP deserved to be chastised (but not detained for 10 hours).

49. evilluckycharms says:

As someone who loves the smell of nail polish, I still say this lady is a freaking moron and deserves what she got. How the heck does a grown woman not understand that painting your nails in an enclosed metal tube crammed full of uncomfortable, unhappy people could possibly be a bad idea?! Not even mentioning the flammability, possibility for spilling on other passengers, possible asthmatics, the list goes on.

People of this level of stupidity deserve verbal abuse, but I doubt it was as bad as the passenger claims. It’s just another entitled California snob upset that the world doesn’t bend to her every vain whim.

50. kimmie says:

WTF. Someone painted their nails on my 6 hr flight to Hawaii too, I thought I was going to throw up, it reeked so bad. Why would anyone think using a fumey product in an enclosed space is a good idea?! I have no sympathy for this lady.

51. kimmie says:

Also, did you know that if you order nail polish online (which I do, frequently from some salon discount shops), it is legally required to ship ground because of the flammability? I’m surprised there wasn’t some legality tied to this.

52. OttersArePlentiful says:

I’m blaming the passenger here, 120%. There are things you don’t do in public when you’re surrounded by other people who have no way of getting away from you.