So What All Is Inside The New iPad?

Apple CEO Tim Cook began today’s unveiling of the new iPad by talking about what he has dubbed the “Post-PC Revolution,” i.e., the explosion of electronics devices that go beyond the traditional uses of computing. Between the various iterations of the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, Cook says post-PC devices now account for 76% of the company’s revenue.

Cook called iPad the “poster child” for the post-PC world and that the new version is “redefining the category,” which is all well and good but what about the features?

First, there’s the new display, which has a resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels, a million more than an HD TV. It’s also powered by an A5X chip which effectively doubles the graphics power of the iPad 2.

It also includes a 5 megapixel camera with image stabilization. It can also record video at 1080p.

And the big news for iPad owners who take their devices outside of WiFi networks — the new device will indeed support 4G LTE networks, along with HSPA+ and HSDPA. Of course, that doesn’t mean you need to have 4G coverage for the iPad to work but if/when you do, the iPad will be able to access the higher-speed network.

But the iPad will not be a dual-band device, meaning there will once again be separate versions for Verizon and AT&T.

On the battery life front, Apple says the new iPad will give you the same 9 hours for use on a 3G network; no word on how quickly you’d chew through the battery on a 4G LTE network.

It weighs 1.4 lbs and is 9.4 millimeters thick.

So what about the price?

The new iPad will go on sale at the same rates as the iPad 2 did at launch — 16GB version for $499; 32GB for $599; 64GB for $699. Add $130 to each of these prices for the 4G wireless versions.

And it looks like prices on iPad 2 will be slashed $100.

Apple will start taking orders today with an expected street date of March 16.

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

As a dude, who doesn’t have a dude purse, and has regular sized pockets, I still want an iPad but know I’d never actually take it anywhere.

• chefboyardee says:

I have this problem with my Xoom. I wear cargo pants and it doesn’t fit in there, and I refuse to look like a douchebag carrying my tablet around all “look at me”. I took it grocery shopping once, felt like a jackass, and haven’t since. I really need some kind of vest with large inside pockets.

Luckily, it is the most useful kitchen gadget I own, so I don’t regret the purchase. Also, games are awesome on the bigger screen (compared to my phone).

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Maybe you just need to get past your preconceptions of social structure, and just be less self-conscious.

• chefboyardee says:

I fully admit that it’s a personal issue. I work in advertising/marketing and I know WAY too many people who are very “LOOK AT MY IPHONE/IPAD!!!”, and obvious about it. Sadly that has followed me to the real world, where most people aren’t like that. Unfortunately I have a hard time getting past it.

What’s funny is I have a “screw everyone” attitude when it comes to everything else. You don’t like me, my beliefs, or what I say…meh. I have a wife and a kid and I’m happy so I really don’t care…most of the time. But for some reason with this specific issue, I still can’t get past the fact that, in my head, carrying a tablet under your arm when you’re shopping is so pretentious (even though I know it’s extremely useful and not necessarily pretentious at all).

Maybe I’ll take your comment to heart and take it shopping next time I go. GroceryIQ would be much easier to read and update on the tablet compared to my phone, and I AM trying to update my pricebook for 2012.

• AjariBonten says:

Hah, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have the same issue with blue-tooth headsets (The Borg earpieces)

• mikedt says:

you can buy doctor/hospital smocks with ipad pockets.

• chefboyardee says:

Thanks for the tip! Will have to look into that.

What I’d ultimately like to do is learn to properly sew a pocket that I can actually trust…I can “sew”, but I don’t want to put an expensive gadget into something I fumbled through and probably did wrong :)

• theotherwhitemeet says:

http://www.scottevest.com/ Makes a few jackets and vests that can hold an iPad.

• Jack T Ripper says:

It isn’t really meant to be carried everywhere. It is meant to entertain you on planes, in a train, or at work when you are supposed to be working. I actually like having mine on the couch next to me so I can quickly look something up if I see something on tv that interests me. It really isn’t something I carry to the grocery store unless it has my list on it or something. If you don’t have a man purse or a backpack to put it in, then it is likely just going to sit on a table. Not everybody needs one of these despite the advertising.

• Heresy Of Truth says:

I got around the problem by using an ipad case that looks rather unremarkable. It just looks like it might be a folder, or a book. Most folks don’t know what kind of tablet I have. It keeps the jerks that look for iOS users to insult down a few notches.

• Cactus Wren says:

Learn to knit. (It’s very easy.) Then Google “ipad cover knitting pattern”.

2. careycat says:

USB?

• Cat says:
    • Jack T Ripper says:

yeah…no. You would be looking for an android tablet if you want useful things like USB ports and SD card slots. The ONLY reason I have an iPad is because the android tablet choices were not as robust as they are now. If I were getting a tablet today then it would totally be either the Asus Transformer or the Transformer Prime. Most likely the Transformer since it does what i want it to do and has some easy root solutions and custom roms available for it. The Prime is a quad core processor monster that is head and shoulders above the iPad in every way. Well, every way other than the ravenous fanboy cult following the iPad has.

• MMD says:

Who needs cords when cloud-based storage is gaining momentum?

Apple was the first manufacturer to drop 3.5″ disk drives and everyone mocked them. But when’s the last time you used – or even saw – a 3.5″ disk?

• Cat says:

There are lots of places on the globe that have no “cloud”. EVER. And I go there.

Have fun with your cloud based tablet in the outback, M’kay?

• Kate says:

It’s not cloud based. It’s cloud assisted. And if you run a wifi anywhere, it works just fine.

• Cat says:

See, you ASSume that there is wireless broadband internet access everywhere in the world, and that’s just not true.

• crazydavythe1st says:

See, you assume you need wireless broadband to use Wi-fi. That’s not how it works.

Although I think Bluetooth is more commonly used in the “quick file transfer between devices” space more than Wi-fi is, despite its limitations.

• Cat says:

So, Dave, tell me how I up/download stuff to / from my full iPad when there isn’t another computer for miles? When you’re on the road, sometimes you can’t get close to another computer for days, or even longer. Being able to access a simple thumb drive or SD card would be so easy to implement, and save me a lot of hassle.

I’m quite aware how these “newfangled thingies” things work, you know, I’ve owned computers that you would consider relics, and I’ve been on the internet since you were in diapers no doubt.

• MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

So, you’re out in the world exploring, travelling, LIVING outside a cocooned, isolated, safe life… and you bring a tablet?

• Snoofin says:

I wouldnt go to some ass backwards place that doesnt have WiFi. Chances are they also wouldnt have electricity, running water, or TV either. Id rather go to hell than go somewhere like that

• Cat says:

It’s called “exploring the planet you live on”. Or even “Traveling”. Try getting out of your isolated cocoon, leave your comfort zone once in a while and LIVE. The whole world doesn’t live a spoiled, entitled existence like you do.

You’re missing a whole lot. Some of the worlds most beautiful places – and people – are far removed from WiFi and the internet.

• smhatter says:

2 months ago. Floppy disks aren’t real common anymore, but they aren’t dead either.

Cloud storage is not a practical alternative to local storage. It is (depending on the sensitivity of the data) a decent backup method, but nothing more.

There are still many occasions where you will find yourself with poor/non-existant internet connections, and then if you don’t have a local copy, you’re sunk.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Sometimes I don’t want all my data saved places other can get to it. Sometimes I want my documents only localy. Cloud based storage makes me nervous.

• Kate says:

I just transfer mine to my desktop using the wifi. You don’t need the usb port.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I’m more or less commenting about cloud storage, not the iPad in particular.

• TheGreySpectre says:

I have 10 Terabytes of info, sometimes I like to take 2 Terabytes with me, an external enclosure allows me to do this. I have numerous 30+ gigabyte files. They would be a real pain in the ass to access if I had to do it over the internet even if it is a 20Meg connection and you tend to reach data caps very quickly. What if I want to reach my data while I am on the road and don’t have a good internet connection?

Lets not forget the thousands of other devices you can connect to usb, whether it is a keyboard, trackball, phone, gamepad, camera, microcontroller, device programmer or any number of other things.

• CoachTabe says:

Something tells me you’re not going to be loading 30 gig files on an iPad whether it had USB or not.

• MMD says:

All of the things you mention call for a heavy-duty machine, or something that makes the device far less portable due to the extra gear you have to haul.

If you want terrabytes worth of data on a device, the iPad’s not the device for you. That’s fine – but that doesn’t mean you should try to force the iPad into being something that it’s not intended to be. That doesn’t invalidate other ways in which the iPad (or any tablet, I’m not a huge partisan) can be of on-the go use.

• tralfaz says:

Honestly, when I was shopping for a tablet, my concerns about USB ports and SD cards were at the top of the list, and now I realize it was pointless. I don’t even miss them. *shrug*

• phsiii says:

You have dissed the iPad. The apple fanbois will now rend you limb from limb.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Damn! Thank you for reminding me about that. I should have mentioned the MicroSD card slot on the Transformer, along with the SD card slot on the keyboard dock in my original rant praising Asus over Apple.

• johnmc says:
    • Nessiah says:

I’m going to venture a big no on that one

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

USB on an iPad? Or anything else with a fruity logo and an “i” in front of its name?? Seriously? I type this on my Asus Transformer, which has two USB ports on its keyboard dock. Hey, Kim Cook-un, if you want to really impress people other than the idiot fanboys who’ll line up in front of the Apple Store next Friday, maybe you should consider giving them something that actually resembles somethng people will use. I personally will wait for version 3 of the Transformer, which will sport a 1920×1080 resolution screen (okay, maybe not quite as stellar as this new iPad, but c’mon, on a 10″ screen, do you really think that matters?) along with the 5 core Tegra 3 processor and 8 Mpxl camera on the back (with flash). Btw–running Android 4.0.3 made this Transformer a lot more spiffy. I’m guessing it’ll fly on the Prime+.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

OOOPS! I just realized I goofed after I tapped that SUBMIT button. Screen resolution on that Asus Transfomer Prime 2 (TF700) is 1920×1200.

• Overheal says:

It’s funny that the people who make reference to fanboys are themselves the most militant bunch of all.

Either way, look at the Prime, it’s down a USB port. I have an A200 which sports one – don’t get me wrong, it’s handy and all and it feels more like a PC, but the amount of time spent using it is slim. And to be fair the cloud options on Android just aren’t as integrated as Apple’s.

Both platforms certainly have merits but thinking the iPad’s achilles heel is the lack of a native USB Port or card reader is barking up the wrong tree. If anything, it’s the Flash support, but more and more sites support mobile versions of their pages without it, to the point where only farmvillains are noticing the lack of it.

• Tank Fuzzbutt says:

“you should consider giving them something that actually resembles somethng people will use.”

Seriously? That’s funny. You Android kids crack me up.

3. GreatWhiteNorth says:

OK… but why?

4. kaptainkk says:

Apple fan boys rejoice!

• Cat says:

Yea, a co-worker… who bought the iPad 1, then sold it when the 2 came out… is going to buy the iPad 3 and sell the 2.

I can’t believe the money he’s lost on iPads. Of course, he has no kids, or wife or girlfriend to spend money on, and he probably never will… (imagine an Iranian Rajesh Koothrappali)

• Chmeeee says:

If you buy/sell consistently every year, it really doesn’t cost as much as you might imagine. Selling a one-year out of date Apple product will generally net you the purchase price minus $100-150. So for an iPad, you could get a new one every year for five years for an out of pocket cost of $500-750. If you had just bought one and kept it for five years, your cost would come out similar, since the five year old model would be nearly worthless.

I don’t do it with Apple products, but I do it with late model used cars, and the math works out similarly.

• Tegan says:

My boss does the same thing with every new iDevice that comes out. Sad thing is he does have a wife and young daughter, but he’s the sort who has to get a fancy new BMW or Porsche or whatnot every other year and wear fancy watches all the time and stuff. What’s worse is that he always sends emails out to our team trying to get us to buy his old stuff. Fortunately, I don’t think he’ll be our boss for much more than the next week or so.

5. Jack T Ripper says:

In what way is the iPad3 even in the same world as the Transformer Prime? No USB support, no quad core processors (right? I’m not into apple enough to even bother looking it up, but was fairly sure it would be in this article if it had it), no SD Card support, and the list does go on. WTF is this other than another iPad 2 with a little better graphics? Seriously Apple… WTF is going on over there?

• scoutermac says:

Agreed. an SD card slot should be added at a minimum.

• SeanPatrick says:

There is and has been an SD card plugin for the device forever. No just pop it on. Why waste the space on a slot you don’t need all the time?

• vliam says:

Why waste the space on a slot you don’t need all the time?

1. Most of these slots don’t require extra space because the slot is internal.
          2. An external dongle does require extra space because it’s not internal. It’s something additional that I need to haul around that I don’t need all the time.
          3. It’s another $29 on a device that already costs $500 or so.
          4. You can get a hell of a lot of space for that $200 premium they charge for that extra 48GBs. Ultimately, that’s the reason Apple avoids putting card slots on anything. It sure as hell isn’t for anything that might benefit you as a consumer.

Next question?

• vliam says:

Seriously Apple… WTF is going on over there?

It’s the incrementally-marginally-improved-slightly-shinier business model that they have used for years. It sucks for consumers but, then, their consumers don’t really expect much more. It’s a perpetual state of blissful ignorance.

• s0s has a chewy nougat center says:

Both have their pros and cons; I agree that an SD slot should be standard, but I almost got an iPad even knowing there wasn’t one.

I have a mix of Apple and Android-based technology, but am holding out for the TF700T to be released sometime in Q2. It sounds like the original Transformer Prime just had waaaay too many problems that never should have made it to release but did. We’ll see if the updated model fixes things like backlight bleeding, as well as wi-fi and GPS issues that the old housing caused.

The idea of it is super sexy, though. And I’m curious to see if other companies introduce quad-core tablets in the interim. (Though IIRC the TFP is really a “five-core” machine, with one quad-core for heavy-duty work and then a single companion core for low-intensity tasks.)

6. SporadicBlah says:

flash?

7. j2.718ff says:

“What all”?

• Mrbyte2k says:

Depending on where you live, “What all” is perfectly understandable. Grammar isn’t tied to 1 dialect of English.

8. Cat says:

So What All Is Inside The New iPad?
    Clay!

• Snowblind says:

Yes, but it is Cautious Clay…

• MeowMaximus says:

We opened up the new CrApple iPad, and found it full of Crack cocaine & fairy dust. Also Borg nano-probes to insure the assimilation of the fools who use it.

9. powdered beefmeat says:

yyaaaawwwwwnnn.

10. donjumpsuit says:

This version has the highest resolution screen of any portable device, a 1080p HD camera with full video and stabilization capabilities, a quad core processor, 1GB of RAM, speech dictation, LTE mobile connectivity up to 100Mbps and 9 hours of battery life on that mobile connection (Think streaming movies). However people are still wanting Flash (which is disabled on my desktop computer) or a USB port or some sort of mini SD card port. People are funny.

• The Twilight Clone says:

Flash will never be on iOS. There will never be an option for a storage card.

• quail says:

They would rather have you use the iCloud.

• AjariBonten says:

which I suppose would be fine, but I would end up using my i-Pad 90% of the time in places where the Internet is simply not available.

• MFfan310 says:

And Flash will be dead on Android in the next major release (5.0, aka Jelly Bean).

Android users, enjoy it while you can.

• clippy2.0 says:

I think people say meh because….. they’re looking for a real update. Sure, some people will buy a new car every 2 years to get a new color, but most folks only buy one when they need to get a new one. So, if you imagine most people don’t just toss their money away for no reason, you have to present the argument; you are buying a tablet for the first time, or replacing a broken one/one that doesn’t suite your needs. What does the Ipad3 have to offer to make it a better tablet than the others currently on the market, including the Ipad and Ipad2? It doesn’t have multicores, so huge amounts of ram don’t matter (especially with the idea that it should get everything from the internet). Resolution is great, but its just eye candy. What are you going to actually do with it? Just surf the internet and play angry birds? Great, so that resolution means nothing. Same with videos, you could already watch movies at max resolution on the older tablets. Folks that arn’t Apple fanboys will simply say “If I’m going to buy a tablet, here is what I need it to do” and for most of those folks, the Apple will do everything they want; at a higher price tag than other tablets that can do more, for less.

Hence the “meh”

• TheGreySpectre says:

The cloud is great until you don’t have internet. There are a lot of places that don’t have internet. SD card readers are cheap small and easy to implement. They provide essentially unlimited storage because I can carry as many SD cards around as I need. If I need it I can very easily carry around 10 SD cards for 640GB of space and yet not much additional room in my pocket. It also allows for easier data transmission between devices, kind of hard to sync a camera to a device without USB and without an SD card slot. (yes the the Ipad has a camera, but it is a crappy camera when you compare it to many purpose built cameras)

• Kate says:

You don’t need the cloud, you only need a wifi and it works just fine.

• chefboyardee says:

Unfortunately, your posts about wifi in this thread continually don’t make sense.

The post you replied to says: “The cloud is great until you don’t have internet.”

I’m willing to bet my life that if they don’t have internet, they don’t have wifi.

How, exactly, without internet, do you suggest this person get something from the cloud while on the road? How would you listen to your cloud-based music or watch a cloud-based movie on the train during your commute home from work? As a passenger on a road trip in the car? On an airplane? While at the park?

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

If my internet connection goes down, I still have a WiFi network that I can use to transfer data between devices. WiFi connectivity doesn’t require an internet connection.

• crazydavythe1st says:

Adhoc wi-fi is perfect for this scenario you know.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Hellooo… look up at the sky. Clouds!

Silly peoples.

/snark

• Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

Man, people really don’t understand what you’re saying. I’ll write it as an extreme example so it is easier to understand:

Say you’re at the North Pole. There is no internet. There is no WiFi. There is no cloud. You are carrying a tablet. You DON’T have a laptop or router with you, so there is no ad-hoc WiFi going on. You simply have a tablet.

With an iPad, you’re limited to the (up to) 64GB of on board storage. With other tablets, you can swap out multiple SD cards, as well as usb flash drives and hard drives. Your storage space is virtually unlimited.

Everyone get it now?

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

Yeah, I think everyone got that scenario. I just think it’s not a huge deal breaker for a lot of people.

I’m not a tablet guy personally, but if I was, this wouldn’t be much of a factor at all, because it’s extremely rare that I’d be in that situation.

11. The Twilight Clone says:

Can’t believe the minimum storage is STILL 16GB and the max is STILL 64GB. That really says something about how Apple views local storage. GRR!!

12. quail says:

IT staff are overly annoyed with all of the iPads. They get idiots bringing them into the office and wanting them to connect to the wi-fi. That wouldn’t be a problem except the iPad uses wi-fi resources like a hungry pig in a truffle field. Whereas a laptop sips at the wi-fi connection while you use tumblr, the iPad grabs more than it’s share of bandwidth.

But try telling your bosses that their insistence on using iPads in the office is slowing down productivity for everyone else.

13. Chaluapman says:

Is there anything other than the gaming industry that can provide 2048p content?

14. sirwired says:

Try as I might I just can’t figure out why I would want a $600 iPad. I can think of personal use cases for it, but not $600 worth.

I can see where others would get more use, but for me, it would just be an overpriced toy.

• donjumpsuit says:

Every year I buy an iPad (every two years for an iPhone). I break it down per month, like a cable bill, insurance, or phone bill. So I pay $50 a month. IT’s not bad.

15. JonBoy470 says:

The display owns that of any other tablet. 2048×1536?! Holy smoke. And 4G LTE. With the same battery life. Though the fact that they had to increase the battery by 75% speaks volumes to the power consumption. Quad-core graphics. The CPU is “only” dual-core, but extra cores only help you when you’ve got lots of program threads flying around trying to be executed. Given Apple’s battery-friendly approach to multi-tasking, quad cores would be of limited benefit for the extra cost/power consumption. Using the space on the chip for quad core graphics is better use of resources. Still no USB or SD card slot? I have the camera kit for my iPad. I’ve used it all of… once… Not because it was a pain to plug it in. I just don’t have much need to plug in memory cards and USB devices. Absence is no big loss.

As for Flash… Speaking as the current owner of an iPad 2 that receives extensive use, the lack of Flash is a non-issue. Apple’s iOS market-share (in fairness all the non-Flash Androids and BlackBerries helped), combined with its steadfast refusal to support Flash has resulted in a wholesale shift away from Flash by web developers. Surf to what you think of as a “flash-heavy” website on an iPad and you will most likely be served an identical-looking, but non-Flash version. Occasionally you get the mobile version of the site. If it’s a heavily traveled site there’s most likely an corresponding app as well, which provides a richer experience than even the Flash-enabled website.

Apple has never included Flash because Adobe has never developed a non-sucky mobile version. It’s proprietary nature has precluded it being supported directly in hardware like MP3, MPEG4, h.264, HTML5 etc. So the CPU runs full tilt the whole time the Flash content is running, and you get, like, two hours of battery life. I’ll take a device that runs all day over a device that runs Flash any day…

• rdm says:

Weird that the PlayBook handles flash just fine…

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

So does my Asus Transformer. Methinks jonboy here has been drinking too much of that Apple Kool-aid, and no doubt you’ll find him next Friday in front of an Apple Store. Don’t worry, there are better, more consumer-friendly, and less expensive tablets out there.

16. katarzyna says:

No 7″ yet? Guess my niece is getting a Kindle Fire.

• Cat says:

[ Insert totally inappropriate comment katarzyna’s niece not being able to handle 10 inches here. Comment must be read in Jack Nicholson’s voice. ]

• katarzyna says:

LOL, she’s seven years old, and this is a gift for her first communion! Bad Cat, bad!

Her family is rather Apple centric, so if there was a smaller, cheaper version of the iPad, I’d probably get it for her, even if it was a little more than the Kindle.

17. BBG says:

Are they calling it the iPad 3, or just ‘The New iPad”?

• Kate says:

The Ipad – which IMO is really stupid.

• scottboone says:

What do they call the “new” MacBook Pro? Or the “new” MacBook Air? Or the “new” iMac? Or the “new” Mac mini? Or the “new”…

You get the idea. The numbers are dumb. And it is better than cluttering the name with stuff like “iPad HD”…like the next one WON’T be “HD”…what to do then? It is the iPad. ‘Nuff said.

• orangejuice says:

What has Apple called the new iPhone every year? Plus they called the second iPad the “iPad 2″ so what you are saying is hardly definitive.

18. Zernhelt says:

For $100, I might be willing to buy an iPad 2. Although I wouldn’t be crazy about having to re-install iTunes. I’ve never seen a program run so poorly on a Windows machine.

19. NumberSix says:

So…its operates on modern networks and has a nicer display. That’s evolution, not revolution.

20. t0ast says:

Post-PC revolution? That’s funny. Wake me when they decide to move on from the overpriced XL smartphone shtick.

21. proliance says:

About damn time. I’ve been waiting in line since October.

22. dush says:

Can’t wait until March 2013 for iPad4!

23. Kodai says:

As long as it’s tied to iOS, it’s fancy trash. Not that Android is that much bertter, but at least I can drag ‘n’ drop folders.

24. ancientone567 says:

Ipads are for those people that are not smart enough to use PC’s!

25. johnmc says: