Your golden years come with a gold rush of discounts. Looking to cater to seniors eager to stretch out their funds, businesses offer sweet deals to the older set.
Main Street rounds up some of the most attractive senior discounts. Bear in mind that these deals may not be honored at every location:
* Doughnuts. This month, Dunkin’ Donuts started offering a free doughnut with the purchase of a large coffee to AARP members. The offer is good until the end of February 2013.
* Cell phone service. Verizon offers 200 anytime minutes on one line for $30 a month for those aged 65 and up. The company is probably counting on older customers not using as many minutes as their younger counterparts.
* Train rides. If you’re 62 or older, you can save 15 percent off the lowest fares on most Amtrak rides. You can use them to visit those ungrateful children you raised who claim to be too busy to come and see you.
* Dining discounts. Just about every sit-down dining establishment offers a senior menu or flat discount. Denny’s hooks AARP members up with 20 percent off their entire checks from 4 to 10 p.m. Also, coffee is just $1 for members.
* Movie tickets. Some AMC theaters hold senior days on Tuesdays, charging as little as $6 admission for those 60 and older. Better still, the loudmouthed, text-happy fanboys are nowhere to be seen or heard.
13 Great Senior Discounts [Main Street] (Thanks, Kristin!)