Port Authority Publishes List Of Biggest Toll Scofflaws

Sick of being stiffed on tolls, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey has recently gone public with a list of 37 individuals and companies it says owe at least $50,000 each for unpaid tolls. Yesterday, the Authority filed lawsuits against 20 of the names on that list.

While most of the scofflaws on the Port Authority’s Wall of Shame (click here for PDF) are car leasing or trucking companies — one company out of Tulsa, OK, is alleged to owe more than $1.2 million — there are some individual drivers who managed to rack up thousands in unpaid tolls.

One of those being sued is a 75-year-old New Jersey woman who says the $21,365 in tolls and $102,141 in fees that she’s alleged to owe actually belong to her son, who would travel back and forth between NJ and NYC to buy drugs, all the while never paying the toll on the George Washington Bridge.

“It’s to the point where I can’t afford to pay it,” she tells NorthJersey.com.

“It wasn’t her, it was me,” confirms her son. According to the Port Authority numbers, he didn’t pay the toll 3,316 times during a six-year period.

The mom says her son intercepted most of the 6,600 violation notices sent to her address, so she did not know how bad the problem had become.

Port Authority sues 20 ‘Wall of Shame’ car owners over unpaid tolls [NorthJersey.com]

Comments

1. alana0j says:

Wow…makes me glad to live in an area where I don’t have to worry about toll roads

2. Mr Grey says:

In WI – a single unpaid parking ticket will keep you from renewing your registration. How did this woman get her plates renewed, or not have her car impounded for unpaid tolls?

Does the P.A. not have that sort of authority?

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

The toll roads around here create a civil debt. They can certainly sue for it but I don’t think they can block vehicle registration.

• Mephron says:

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey maintains the bridges, tunnels and, as the name suggests, the ports of New York and New Jersey along the Hudson River and the local bay. Due to the nature of its charter, it has the power to file civil claims against persons and businesses, but not criminal claims. New Jersey does not recognize out-of-state civil claims as requiring being paid in order as an obstruction to registration or license renewal. The PA is considered an out-of-state agency due to its multistate nature.

There’s been some efforts in the past to change that, but it also involves one state or the other getting some of the fines, and the PA refuses to give that up.

3. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

A toll is a toll,
    And a roll is a roll.
    And if we don’t get no tolls
    We don’t eat no rolls.

I made that up…

4. Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

3,316 crossings in 6 years for drugs?

That is a lot of drugs.

• crispyduck13 says:

Average of 1.514 times a day, sounds like a dealer…or just a commuter.

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

My reaction? “Don’t they have dealers in NJ?”
        So, yeah, I think you’re right.

• zibby says:

Good point, but take into account they only hit you for the toll from New Jersey to New York. I’m not buying the “Drugs made me do it” bit, but if he’s a commuter he’s got an extra half-trip a day in there. More if you account for weekends.

• KenZ33 says:

At the end of the list, there’s “Dealer’s Choice Distribution” The son should have hired them!

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

And I’m sure he made enough money drug trafficking to pay the tolls. Shame on him.

• Doubting thomas says:

is it actual crossings, or is it toll booths? I am not familiar with the PA toll system but I go through 3 tolls on commute to work.

• Doubting thomas says:

5. Hi_Hello says:

unless you can confirm it who was the driver, I don’t know how you can charge someone anything without proof.

As for the tolls, NJ tolls are messed up. I can understand the need for money to maintain road and stuff…pay workers and all..but the price is way tooo high for stuff that they barely do.

and I never like the excuse that they need to increase price to for a new project but dont decrease the price after everything is done.

okay, I’m done.

Give me a detailed budget report of how the toll money are spent and I’ll would be happy to pay the toll price. that report would probably increase tolls..

okay okay, now i’m really done.

• crispyduck13 says:

“I don’t know how you can charge someone anything without proof…”

So you’ve never noticed all those cameras pointed at the back and front of cars at toll booths?

• etz says:

“and how come vehicles with more axes pay more but motorcycles doesn’t pay less? WTH!!!”

Sometimes they do. If you get a toll transponder tag from the PortAuthority in NY, and you specify you want an “M” tag (M for Motorycle), then the tolls on area bridges are about half of the car price.

I think the NY Thruway authority had a similar deal for people who get the transponder through them. But I rarely deal with the Thruway so I don’t really know.

The transponder looks similar, except it has a giant M on it so you can’t just stick it in your car windshield to get cheap tolls for your car.

• Mephron says:

Well, this is the Port Authority, which is different from either the NY or NJ state governments – they’re a special agency and have their own set of rules.

• makoto says:

It’s charged to the license plate of the car (so the registered owner of the vehicle gets the ticket/charge). It doesn’t matter who was driving it.

6. hymie! says:

I think it’s a little unfair to list Avis as a scofflaw. I highly suspect that Avis is only the registered owner of the vehicle(s) in question, and not the actual toll violator.

• bikeoid says:

In the Chicago area, car rental companies seize on unpaid tolls as a profit center. By rental agreement, they charge any unpaid toll reports to your credit card, along with a $25 service fee for each toll.

• weave says:

Platepass, $2.95 fee per day plus toll costs. Worth it when renting a car, especially in some areas like Orlando where there’s a toll booth ever 2-3 miles.

• framitz says:

It is completely fair, they OWN the vehicles so it’s up to THEM to collect from the customer to pay the tolls that are due.

This seems very clear to me.

I suspect they do charge the customer, but fail to pay the tolls, so sue their ass off!

7. CubeRat says:

So, why are the other 37 not being sued? I say, sue them all, then if there are circumstances that warrent it, you can negiotiate a reduced payment.

Then go after the next group, say 5k and up. etc.

• BBBB says:

“”So, why are the other 37 not being sued? I say, sue them all,…””

In the article it states, “The Port Authority said more lawsuits are coming.”

Some of the cases might require more research to locate the vehicle owners in cases where vehicles have been sold or transferred, or people moved without leaving a forwarding address.

Also, some might be in the process of negotiating the amount or a payment plan.

8. gman863 says:

In Texas, both your vehicle registration and drivers license renewals are blocked if you have past due fees for moving violations, parking tickets or unpaid tolls.

Many other areas place a “boot” on the wheels of cars with unpaid parking tickets and tow them. If you want the car back, pony up the unpaid fines, tolls and twoing/storage fee or your car becomes property of the state. While I wouldn’t endorse this on rental vehicles (punishing the current renter for the sins of previous ones), it would be a great way to get individuals and companies to pay up.

9. framitz says:

Here in Ca, my daughter thought, that since she’s driving a new car with no plates, she could use the toll road without paying.
    She forgot about the cop that often sits 100 meters past the transponders. He just has to watch his rear view mirror to see the violation light, then he just catches up and tickets the offender. Man was she embarrassed! And I can’t add her car to the account until there is a plate to add. (I’m not about to purchase a transponder for her).
    The system here is good enough that it can read the plate and charge the right account, once it’s in the system.

• donjumpsuit says:

As a note to your story, I purchased a used vehicle in California with no plates. The dealer got the new registration and mentioned that new plates would be sent to my address. The temporary registration is affixed to the front windshield in a DMV provided sticker. On the back on the registration is states clearly that it, and it alone is enough for legal driving without License plates for 45 days from issue.
      Here comes the relevant part. I went through a toll with said vehicle while holding my toll transponder out the window in my hand to make certain it went off so as to not violate the law. Somehow that cop you mention sitting a in the area beyond the tolls thought this behavior was suspect and pulled me over. I told him all the details and he told me that in California it was illegal to drive without plates. I told him he was wrong, he wrote the ticket anyway. Needless to say I was fuming. The letter came from the court and I send back a scathing letter about how it was wrong, and I couldn’t wait to have my day in court to embarrass the officer. I had to pay the “Bail” or fine before waiting for my court date. A week later a note came in the mail from the court stating I was correct, and returning my check with a Void stamp on it. I still wanted to go down there and have a stern word with that idiot cop.

10. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

$8 of this is mine. From several years ago. I got caught up in the wrong lane going into the Lincoln Tunnel on the New Jersey side, and blew the toll. No one sent me anything in the mail to pay it (I know they do, because this happened to me once before). I tried calling the Port Authority to find out how to remit payment, and got nowhere.

I am eternally grateful that I don’t drive in the NJ/NY area more than once every few years. I couldn’t take that on a day to day basis. Too scary.

11. EatSleepJeep says:

#3 on that list is FUSELLA GROUP, LLC

Good luck getting that money, looks like they’ll need to get in line:

12. scoosdad says:

What genius sorted that list? I can’t figure out if there was an attempt to sort it by toll or fee or location or what. All I see is that they pushed a few of the top figures in the last column to the top and then left the rest sort of randomly arrranged.

• nybiker says:

I haven’t added them all up, but I believe the list is sorted by total amount owed (tolls + fines, which they are calling fees).

13. MikeVx says:

Useful GPS Feature: A little checkbox next to “Avoid Tolls”

• cacchip says:

Try getting across the Hudson river from the Jersey side without paying. It will add about 500 to 600 hundred miles to your trip.

14. tvh2k says:

> one company out of Tulsa, OK, is alleged to owe more than $1.2 million
    “EAN HOLDINGS LLC/ENTERPRISE” is Enterprise, Alamo, and National car rental. Second highest offender is Avis and Budget. No real surprise there.

What *does* surprise me is the ridiculous fees tacked on to these toll charges. $770k on $36k? $1.7m on $167k? Really?

• dg says:

I was wondering the same thing. If I ran the company, I’d tell the Port Authority – “Get rid of the fees, I’ll pay the toll amounts. But I’m absolutely not going to pay any fees. If that’s not good enough for you, then go ahead and sue… I’m still not going to pay – even if you win a judgment.”

• Doubting thomas says:

lookout we got a badass over here!

Because you know it always works out soooo well when you ignore a court order to pay a legal fine.

The NTTA here in TX charges a $25.00 fine for each instance of unpaid toll. Seems pretty steep when you have hundreds of violations. But that is the point, free riders cost everyone else. They also work with violators if they come forward and work with them. When I got a new car I just moved my toll tag to the new car without thinking about the fact that the toll tag is registered to a specific vehicle. When I got my letter saying I had over $5,000 in fines and tolls I almost lost it, but one phone call where I explained what happened and they dropped all the fees provided I pay the outstanding tolls. I did so over the phone and they even switched my tag to the new car in the same phone call.

15. makoto says:

Exactly how does one drive through a toll and not pay it without breaking through the stop bar and without a cop pulling you over or at least a big, fat “we saw you and took a picture of your license as you drove through it” ticket waiting for them at home?!

• nybiker says:

The GWB (George Washington Bridge) does not have the stop bar; you slow down to either 5 or 10 mph and go through. There are also the high-speed lanes at 25 mph. But yes, there are cameras all over the place and the registered owner of the car will get a nice little letter requesting payment. If you don’t pay soon, you not only have to pay the toll, but a fine/penalty, which, IIRC, is $50.

• SJActress says:

In Houston, the EZ Tag lanes don’t have gates, and you don’t even slow down to go through them. If you actually HAVE an EZ Tag, it gets scanned on your way through, and automatically charges to your account.
      People that DON’T have these tags go through those lanes, thus avoiding the toll, but all sorts of lights go off and cameras take pictures, etc.

• elangomatt says:

In Chicago, most of the toll lanes use I-Pass and high speed tolling. I am pretty sure you have to slow down some, but there is nothing to stop you when you are going through those lanes. They still have a few lanes for non I-Pass people, but I thought I heard recently that they might even be eliminating some of those soon. Not quite sure what out of town people are supposed to do for tolls, but whatever.

16. shthar says:

DIPLOMATIC PLATES, MON!

17. ganon446 says:

It’s 15 bucks for a one way toll out there to support Liberal Welfare programs

18. NeverLetMeDown says:

Now, if they would only start raising the tolls to reasonable levels, and making them time-of-day and real-time-traffic variable. If there’s a traffic jam, then tolls are too low. It’s a scarce resource, price it appropriately.

Also, eliminate the booths, and move to high-speed lanes that don’t require you to slow down at all.

Combine the physical changes and rational pricing, and you solve a lot of traffic problems.