No More Room For Gender Stereotypes When It Comes To Buying Fancy Stuff

Times used to be, men shelled out the big bucks for fast cars and women drooled over expensive designer shoes. But with high-end spending on the rise again, it seems men and women aren’t really shopping along stereotypical lines anymore. Sports cars and stilettos for everyone!

To that point, CNBC cites Bain & Company, which says demand for luxury items has grown by double digits recently, and retailers are seeing a new “trend” — namely, men shopping like women and vice versa.

In this case, shopping like a man includes buying Ferraris. In the past, women in North America accounted for only 1% of sales for the super speedy sports car. Now, 10% of Ferrari drivers are women. In China it’s even greater, at 30%.

As for the men, they’re ogling designer shoes in a way they didn’t used to.

“Over the last few years I have noticed a lot of people, men, are interested in shoes,” shoe designer Christian Louboutin said, adding that the hankering to own a beautiful thing knows no gender lines. “The demand for men’s shoes has been growing incredibly fast.”

Accessory retailer Coach is still mostly devoted to women, but the men’s boutique section in the flagship NYC store has seen lots of traffic as well.

“Men are becoming more comfortable…We have men coming into the store that got a wallet for a graduation gift 10 years ago and [leaving] with a briefcase. They’re trading up into the brand,” said one Coach exec.

Seems this shift isn’t just in the luxury world either — plenty of guys in skinny jeans are surely relieved they don’t have to steal their girlfriends’ denim anymore. And haven’t you heard? Men are even grocery shopping now! Will wonders never cease?

Luxury Goods: Men Buying Like Women, Ladies Shopping Like Guys [CNBC.com]

Comments

1. Hi_Hello says:

men and shoes is a new thing? I thought those guys who buff and polish shoes while their customer sit and read a newspaper or something had a client base of ….guys.

2. Coffee says:

I’m sure this trend has polar dichotomy in urban and rural areas. Visiting my ex-brother-in-law in San Diego, I was a little take aback at the androgyny vis a vis designer brands, expensive clothes, etc. on dudes. They also used a lot more bathroom product than I do, and what they use is expensive. I’m originally from the Bay Area, mind you, so it’s not like I grew up in the sticks. Where I live now in central Washington, most of the guys still drive trucks and deride their urban counterparts for their high-priced fashion proclivities.

I split the difference and wear expensive hiking boots.

• MichaelRyanSD says:

hehe I live in San Diego and I’m wearing designer jeans right now :P

• Coffee says:

Hey, I don’t judge or think it’s “faggy” or anything like that…it’s just a different way of peacocking…I get it. Besides, since that’s the culture there, I’m sure the ladies appreciate it as well.

3. alana0j says:

Haha speaking of gender stereotypes..I went to replace my front speakers a few days ago. The guy asked what kind of car I have, I told him an ’06 Impala. He said “You don’t by any chance know what size engine it has do you…?” I quickly said “yeah, it’s the 3.9 liter V6″. He paused for a moment then looked at me and said “Most girls wouldn’t know that…”

• Minj says:

Racing stripes on a V6 Impala. I don’t even…

Stereotype validated.

• crispyduck13 says:

No way man. I am living proof that not all “car chicks” are out there buying stick-on parts and spending their tax refunds on Maaco paint stripes for their V6.

Besides, inline 6 is where it’s at. Also, I love your username.

• obits3 says:

V4 baby!

• h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

Wait, was I not supposed to spend that money on decals and seat covers? I missed the memo.

• crispyduck13 says:

What the…you need to update your address on the “Car Chick Rules Newsletter” mailing list.

• alana0j says:

Ok to be fair, part of my refund went to open an IRA (I’m 25 and not getting any younger) and I have enough in my savings account to cover around 4 months worth of bills just in case. I figured I’d treat myself a little and since I love my car what better way to treat myself?

Also, I have heard terrible things about Maaco..would NEVER go there. And I don’t see what is so wrong about wanting some racing stripes. I like the way they look and I’m going for an overall black and white scheme on the outside. I’m currently in the market for blacked out taillights but so far haven’t found some that I like. I may end up getting something else either on the hood or the side..I don’t know. My decision is not final and it won’t be until next year anyway.

• axhandler1 says:

Good for you for opening an IRA. I’m shocked at the number of people your age who have never heard of a Roth IRA. It doesn’t matter how much you put in it, just open one! Start saving something. And don’t listen to these guys about the racing stripes; you want some, you get some. I think it’s just that you don’t often see racing stripes on an Impala.

• alana0j says:

Yeah I know but having two kids meant I couldn’t exactly go for a sportier car.

And I work in a tax office so I hear all the time about the importance of retirement savings and I decided that it’s better to start planning now so I don’t end up being a Wal-Mart greeter when I’m 65…

• crispyduck13 says:

You really had me until your last sentence. Sigh.

• alana0j says:

Ok what is so wrong with wanting racing stripes on my car? I got the Euro black headlights and the wheels to match, I feel like black racing stripes on the front would compliment the black and white scheme I’m going for.

Also, talk all the smack you want about an automatic transmission. Mine is a police cruiser model and it has some get up and go :)

• h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

Because you probably aren’t racing in it?

I’m a chick who really likes her car too, but knowing your engine isn’t *that* big of a deal.

• alana0j says:

I never said it was. My point was that the guy assumed that because I’m a female I wouldn’t know. You know, the whole stereotype thing…

And who the hell ever said you have to race your car to stick racing stripes on it? I like the way they look so I want some. And whoever said something about a Maaco paint job..HELL no. I have heard terrible things about their work.

• crispyduck13 says:

I didn’t say anything about your transmission. You get down with your badass automatic self girl. I’m judging your stripes, not your gears.

• alana0j says:

Haha oh ok. My apologies, others I think were making a point that a manual transmission is better. Granted it is in some aspects, I can’t drive one.

And I may just get something else. I don’t know. I saw a pretty cool design on the side of a Monte Carlo recently. Almost like a checkered racing flag blowing in the wind..but like stretched out..I don’t know how to describe it but it looked amazing. I had debated on doing that but being that I am a female I simply cannot make up my mind :P

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

I bet that thing has a sweet automatic transmission.

• JonathanR says:

A sweet 4 speed automatic too!

• Hi_Hello says:

the auto tranny is a crazy invention.
        that said, there are people who uses a manual that should just go to auto.

• obits3 says:

I have a V6 Mustang with an auto. Two words:

Commuter Car

• alana0j says:

Heh…funny you say that. A guy in a Mustang revved his engine at me the other day. So being that we were on a pretty straight road and there was no traffic I took him on. Smoked his ass :)

I find it amusing that some people think that just because you drive a model car that was once considered a muscle car you can outrun a police cruiser

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

I hear the stripes make it go faster.

• maxamus2 says:

“Yeah, just like “most girls” wouldn’t use part of their tax refund to get new wheels and some kick ass black headlights with plans to get racing stripes next year.”

I guess car idiocracy isn’t a male only thing?

• alana0j says:

Nope. I believe in equal rights so I deserve to be a bit childish and dumb when it comes to a car as a teenage boy does.

4. TheMansfieldMauler says:

I don’t think that’s quite enough to bust the gender stereotype. Besides, those figures don’t say how many of the Ferraries are paid for by men/women. There’s a difference in the “buyer” and the “payer”.

• crispyduck13 says:

Oh really now. Well, that’s very nice that you think women are not paying for their own stupidly overpriced mid-life-crisis-mobiles.* If you saw a man walking into a Ferrari dealership would the question of whether he was paying for it himself even cross your mind? If he was married would you think he was spending HIS money or THEIR money?

*I love Ferraris.

• Hi_Hello says:

it depend on the age. If a young male 16-22 buys a ferraris, I would assume that money is his parent, or he got a suga momma. If some area, I would think he’s a drug dealer.

if it’s an older male.. I would think he’s trying to get laid. probably his money. i wouldn’t think it was his wife… it just wouldn’t cross my mind. unless he is a really good looking guy, then I might think he’s using some lady’s money.

if it’s a young female, same view as a young male minus the drug dealer… for some reason I don’t think young female as drug dealers….

if it’s a older female, I would just assume she like to go fast. probably his money, but can be her husband.

that remind me of the story where that racing lady bout a Ferrari, realized it was stupid to have one in the city and trade it for a BMW. Anyone buying a Ferrari for the speed and live in the city..it’s a stupid purchase.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

I never said anything one way or the other. It very well could be that all those male “buyers” are having their Ferraris paid for by sugar mommas.

What I said was that the information provided doesn’t say who was paying for it, and that information is what is more important than who is driving it.

5. cynner says:

Forget shoes……this girl wants moar motorcycles!