How To Make Used Vita Games Play Like New Again

In its never-ending battle against the used game market, game companies are always coming up with ways to suck the value out of pre-owned merchandise. Sony has apparently slapped games for its Vita handheld with code that makes them stay loyal to the first account on which they were played, not allowing future owners to unlock virtual trophies. But there’s a way around Sony’s trophy-blocking.

Pocket Gamer tells you how it’s done:

Step 1 — Click “no” when the game warns you that it won’t be giving up any trophies.

Step 2 — Touch the home screen until it allows you to rearrange its bubble-shaped icons.

Step 3 — Click on the game in question and select the “format” option.

When you start the game, it should play just like new. If you can’t earn its trophies, it will be due to your own incompetence rather than Sony’s efforts to punish your frugality.

Now if only there were a way to bypass game publishers’ obnoxious online pass code system, which blocks online play for used game owners unless they cough up some green.

How to earn trophies in pre-owned Vita games [Pocket Gamer via Destructoid]

Comments

1. agent 47 says:

Wait…so Sony did this and people still bought the Vita? Suckers.

If I buy it, then I own it and I’m free to keep or sell it as I please. I try to avoid buying anything that drops to a zero value as soon as you buy it.

2. Cat says:

Sony “Upgrade” to firmware… (that does nothing good for consumers, but blocks random hacks like this, removes useful features, and requires owners to agree that the PS Vita they thought they owned is actually the property of Sony) … in 3..2..1…

3. MonkeyMonk says:

Another (super easy) way to avoid this — do not buy a Vita.

Companies are going to keep pushing the bar on consumer’s rights until they finally get the message that we’re not going to take it anymore. The easiest way to get this message to them is through a loss of sales.

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I’ve owned most every portable gaming system (including ones like N-Gage, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Virutal Boy, both Atari Lynx models…it keeps going).

The last portable system I carried around was a Game Boy Advance Micro…since then I realized it’s all too big to carry in a normal pocket (my PSP has been collecting dust for years).

Basically, I have room in my pockets for a phone, wallet, my money, and keys. If I’m somewhere and bored, I have PLENTY to play on my Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus). If I want Triple A titles like Uncharted, I’ll play that on a home console. I really do not see the market for this new PSP.

At least with the 3DS, it offeres something you can’t get on a home console (or at least, can’t get without shelling out for a 3D TV).

• sth9669 says:

As a PS Vita owner, I’ll tell you one of the markets Sony is looking for: People like me who ride a train/bus to work 60-90 minutes each day who carry a bag with them to work. I have the space in my modest sized messenger bag and I’ve got an ipad for when I want to read books and a PS Vita for when I want to play games. I also am married and have a young child, so playing games at home on a home console is DEFINITELY not a viable option.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I definitly can see you as the target market. Public transportation seems to be the key. (Something that seems more common in Japan than the United States). Of course some kids in schools with backpacks and such, but mainly those who know they have a set amount of time to kill (like a flight). Not those like me who, don’t anticipate when they may find themselves stuck someplace and wanting to game. Also, I do see the usefulness of playing a game on a portable (or tablet, or phone) at home while the TV is being used.

• TalKeaton: Every Puzzle Has an Answer! says:

Carrying around my Gameboy Micro right now! I have other handhelds, but I don’t lug them around so often. The Micro is a very nice size. I hope the DS gets a similar treatment somewhere in the future.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I wish I never sold my Micro. I also had one of those carts. You know, THOSE carts, so it had a lot of content in a small package.

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

I just wish I found one of THOSE carts that had good compatibility and had an microSD card for loading it. I’m going to be very sad when the XOR flash dies on mine. (F2AU, for those interested)

• VHSer says:

Do you guys mean Gameboy Advance SP ? There isn’t any system called a micro.

5. esc27 says:

*Sigh* if only they would go after the retailers who are directly responsible for the exploitation of used games sales and not loyal fans. I blame the near monopoly a few companies have on game sales.

6. Gamereviewgod says:

This isn’t so much about used games (they wouldn’t have put in the work-around) so much as it is about unlocking trophies. A used cart would instantly unlock whatever the previous owner had earned on the new account.

I don’t support means of locking out the games I buy, but this is about trophies, not used games.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

It sounds like if these steps aren’t taken, the 2nd owner of the game doesn’t have the trophies automatically unlocked for them AND they can’t unlock it themselves unless they format the game/cart.

7. Kusac says:

This really does hurt the loyal fan base. I tend to lend my games out to my friends, or borrow some of theirs, to try out or just play. Things like this are rather annoying, and I heard that Microsoft is planning on something similar with the new X-box.

8. Mark702 says:

Bought a PSP early on, didn’t use the homebrew stuff, didn’t like many of the games, traded it for a 360, never looked back. I begrudgingly bought a used PS3 for the dozen or so exclusives I really wanted to play, but I hate giving Sony any money, so I buy the games used too. I won’t ever be supporting Sony and their hardcore anti-consumer business practices again.

9. phrekyos says:

Seems to me like this is just their way of preventing you from using another person’s saved data to unfairly earn trophies on your own account. You can’t use another person’s saved data on the PS3 either. If it was to discourage you buying used, you’d think they wouldn’t make it so easy to “get around”.

10. Outrun1986 says:

Hopefully they don’t update the firmware to remove this option. No plans to buy a Vita here though., so I don’t have to worry.

11. kgb says:

I’m still not understanding what the big deal is about gaining trophies. Do you HAVE to get a certain amount to access higher levels of the games? (so if you’re not on the original account, you have to start playing from the beginning, etc.)
    I have a PS3 and play Uncharted, but I don’t care about the ‘awards’. I’m too busy blowing shit up to look for something sparkling in the snow. :-)