Got $29 Million To Spare? Then Michael Jordan Has The Mansion For You!

Apparently no one told basketball legend and ardent wearer of Hanes Michael Jordan that home prices have dropped to a level not seen since 2006, because he’s trying unload his super-fancy suburban Chicago living quarters for a hefty $29 million. Good luck with that one!

Bloomberg News says the Chicago Bulls great has been living in some pretty sweet digs in Highland Park, which might warrant the mind-boggling price tag. With 56,000 square feet, nine bedrooms, 15 baths, five fireplaces and of course, an indoor basketball complex with specially cushioned hardwood flooring, Mike’s not about to let this baby go for cheap.

But wait, of course there’s more on the property: A three-bedroom guesthouse, indoor/outdoor entertaining and pool area, outdoor tennis court, putting green, deep-water pond and three climate-controlled multicar garages. That’s how the majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats lives! And did we mention he played basketball?

Again, we salute anyone with enough cash and a likely affinity for the number 23 to pick this gem up. And maybe the new owners will actually come to the door for trick-or-treating when a 7-year-old superfan comes knocking. Not that anyone is bitter. Nope.

Michael Jordan Selling Illinois Home for $29M [Bloomberg]

Comments

1. bosozoku says:

And people complain about ‘bankers’…

• VintageLydia says:

To be fair, sports stars don’t have entire political lobbies writing tax laws that benefit them (and often only them) which are rubber stamped by congress. The sliminess and corruption within the ranks of a league absolutely pales in comparison to the corruption of the major banks and investment firms.

• Cat says:

To be fair, their employers do it for them.

• LabGnome says:

Yeah, I must say I feel like sports stars deserve the gobs of money they get more. It takes perfect genes, borderline insane work ethic, risk (what happens to those who don’t make it into the pros?), etc. to be a professional sports star. It is actually darwinian to a degree. You can’t simply be born into it.

Sports stars also do not game our government/economy for personal gain at the cost of everyone else (at least, not personally I suppose). They may act juvenile at times, but I would take someone putting their foot in their mouth over a senator/representative actively working against the interests of hard working Americans any day.

So yeah, I am going to complain about bankers.

• crispyduck13 says:

I have no problem with people making asinine sums of money, in fact I think that’s great. What I have a problem with is people who make asinine amounts of money and complain about it.

Those people can fuck right off.

• bluline says:

What’s to complain about? MJ earned every dime and he didn’t hold a gun to anyone’s head to force them to pay him what he got paid. More power to him, and to anyone who has his talent.

2. Cat says:

3. scoutermac says:

This is Chicago. Housing is very expensive in Chicago.

4. Platypi {Redacted} says:

There have to be some serious sports fans in Chicago that would happily pay a surcharge to live where Jordan lived. “I am peeing where MICHAEL JORDAN peed!”

I am not jealous, he brought a lot to the game, the city and the franchise. That guy earned his bucks.

5. chucklebuck says:

Forget MJ’s house, is Marquis Daniels selling the diamond-encrusted pendant of his own head yet?

6. vilified_user says:

Realtor.com lists the tax paid last year at $165,224.

7. dorianh49 says:

The guys on Pawn Stars would offer him like $15k, and they really wouldn’t feel comfortable offering him THAT much. Although, they do know a guy who is an expert in celebrity mansions and memorabilia, so if Michael doesn’t mind waiting for him to come by…

8. kaptainkk says:

What a shameful waste of money and resources! No one in this world needs a fucking house that has 56k sq. feet, 9 bedrooms and 15 baths!! I hate rich, greedy, pricks that do nothing with their money but spend it like crazy and complain they want more. Warren Buffet and Bill gates are an exception to the prick rule.

9. AllanG54 says:

I’d say it’s worth every penny.

10. pixiegirl says:

Can someone explain too me why would you need 9 bedrooms and 15 baths? I don’t understand the need for SO many bathrooms.

• failurate says:

I would guess each bedroom has it’s own bath, and the other baths are probably tied to other features of the house, like the pool, the gym, the theater, the game room/bar and so on.

11. 5seconds says:

I don’t understand, Consumerist. On one hand you mock him for attempting to sell an asset for a high price, and in the very next paragraph you concede that ‘it might warrant the… price tag”

12. dg says:

He’s probably moving to escape the insanely high State and Local taxes in Illinois. Too much money goes to the school districts – about 67% of one’s tax bill. The rest goes to the Park District and City…

Hell, if I had a $165K/year property tax bill , I’d sell too. If that didn’t work, I’d tear the house down – pay the $10K teardown tax that the city his house is in has – and get taxed on bare land. Then I’d take a loss on my taxes for the difference… Screw it…

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

The IRS might object to you trying to write off the loss. For starters, you can’t deduct a loss on the sale of personal use property.