Downsized Bonuses Have Bankers Whining About Clipping Coupons

Times are tough out there. Millions of people owe more on their homes than those buildings are worth. The job market is still weak with many Americans just happy to take work that will help them pay the bills. Bankers can’t afford to add square-footage to their million-dollar homes.

“People who don’t have money don’t understand the stress,” a partner at accounting firm Marks Paneth & Shron LLP in NYC explains to Bloomberg, presumably blotting his tears with a handkerchief made out of plain old silk. “Could you imagine what it’s like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out? How do you do that?”

Things have gotten so bad for one Wall Street headhunter that he not only has to shop at only slightly luxurious Brooklyn grocery stores, but he and his family also — prepare yourself to weep — occasionally look at coupons: “They have a circular that they leave in front of the buildings in our neighborhood… We sit there, and I look through all of them to find out where it’s worth going.”

And it’s not just the money people at banks that are feeling the pinch. Even the most vital people at brokerage firms — the marketing directors — sound like extras from an off-Broadway production of Oliver!

“I’m not Zen at all,” gripes the marketing director for Euro Pacific Capital, who has had to delay plans to add bedrooms to his Brooklyn brownstone. “I can’t imagine what I’m going to do… I’m crammed into 1,200 square feet. I don’t have a dishwasher. We do all our dishes by hand.”

Of course, he still sends his daughter to a $32,000/year prep school and plans to rent out a 3-bedroom summer house in Connecticut — but only for one month instead of his usual four.

“I feel stuck,” he adds. “The New York that I wanted to have is still just beyond my reach… All I want is the stuff that I always thought, growing up, that successful parents had.”

Bonus Drop Means Trading Aspen for Discount Cereal [Bloomberg]

Comments

1. rockelscorcho says:

poor bastard.

• Roe says:

It’s really sad to see that these poor people who have once again spent more than they had. (Several hundred thousand to millions more than I have to over spend.) They have to do without such things as a dishwasher, or additions to their homes, or a new car blah, blah, blah.
      While the little people have to do without such things as medications, food, heat, gas, etc.
      They have to figure out what they can do without for a given month, while these “woe is me”
      bankers, et al have to decide whether or not they shame themselves by using a fricking coupon.

Get real!!!! Your plight is nothing compared to those of us who make in a year, what you would call pocket change. I feel nothing but anger toward these narsicistic idiots.

2. Turn-n-Burn says:

Well boo fuckin hoo

• longfeltwant says:

“All I want is the stuff that I always thought, growing up, that successful parents had.”

This is a sick statement of bad values. He should reconsider what he thinks makes a parent successful.

3. travel_nut says:

Oh my god, y’all, he doesn’t have a dishwasher. Someone take pity on that poor millionaire, stat.

4. Arctic Snowbot says:

They better start saving their gold turds instead of flushing them, and sell them to stay afloat.

5. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

“People who don’t have money don’t understand the stress … Could you imagine what it’s like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out? How do you do that?”

*ahem* B’AAAAAAWWWWWWWW POOR WIDDLE MULTI-MILLIONAIRE BANKER.

• galm666 says:

“Boo-hoo, high priced material possessions are in smaller supply for me, even though I already have far more than the average person in a society that has far more than most in the rest of the world.”

Look, I’m in the upper 50%. I have it good. I have almost all the stuff I want, everything I need, an education, and employment. I’d like to have more, but I’m not going to bitch about my position. A pay hit would hurt, but I’d still be thankful for my position in life. I’d also know that whatever financial difficulties I have are probably of my making.

• JMH says:

I feel like I’m willing to cut this guy a little slack. As I read this he’s not saying “I can’t buy a really expensive widget,” he’s saying “I’m going to have to tell my kids they have to change schools”. I mean, yeah, nobody is entitled to go to an overpriced private school, but it’s not the kids’ doing that they’re in that situation and it seems like they’re the ones who have to suffer because of it.

• Mulysa says:

There are very good public schools in NY. the kids may have to go to school with Asian kids, though.

• drjayphd says:

…and those kids might grow up with the sense to not use a racial slur in the headline of a story about a Taiwanese-American athlete. I fail to see anything wrong with this.

6. bluetech says:

Cue worlds smallest violin. OMG.. the horrors… COUPONS! Walking into a Walmart with the riff raff, etc.

7. Kaleey says:

1200 squa5re feet and washing dishes by hand. That’s my house! I never knew I was so underprivileged! I’ll have to have a talk with my fiancee tonight!

/s

Really, if they are feeling a pinch, then they should be scaling back, and I doubt anyone really likes that. However, you should NEVER count on a bonus as part of your pay. If you can’t make ends meet without your monthly/quarterly/yearly bonus, you’re doing it wrong.

• Foot_Note says:

but only the peons^Wslaves should have to cut back! the priveledged shouldnt have to suffer

• StarKillerX says:

Also what you overlook is that there are many people within some companies whose salary is very low simply because they get good bonuses based on their performance (similar to a saleman often lives on their commissions)

8. Guppy06 says:

“Could you imagine what it’s like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out?”

Pulling them out to send them to work in a textile factory, no doubt.

9. Sian says:

Are you sure this isn’t an Onion article?

10. dwtomek says:

Greed with no bounds. Welcome to America. Thanks for all the good times, baby boomers.

• dwasifar says:

You do know, don’t you, that the great majority of baby boomers are not in the 1%, and instead have just had their retirement savings wiped out by the crash with no time left to recover?

11. Bluth_Cornballer says:

HA! I have TWO dishwashers and I’m not even rich!!!! Take that 1%ers!!!

12. I'm new here says:

Well, if he needs some help around the house, I’d be willing to do it for a living wage. But that would mean even less money for him but I’d be able to buy diapers and wipes and stuff. Maybe they’d let us tag along to the summer house? They prolly have dishes there, too.

I know that things are relative but, damn, man.

13. MutantMonkey says:

Well, you pull their asses out and welcome them to the real world and hope they don’t become as much of a douche that you are.

14. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Excuse me while I laugh and DGAF

15. spittingangels says:

“People who don’t have money don’t understand the stress”

Yes, because people with money don’t have any stress whatsoever.

Cry me a river …

16. Liam Kinkaid says:

I know these are a bunch of self-entitled assholes, but what’s the difference in what they’re saying and a woman asking for a huge alimony in order to keep her in the life in which she was accustomed?

• VintageLydia says:

You don’t think people wouldn’t give her shit too? Every single time something remotely feminist is posted, people bring up unreasonable alimonies (which are hardly the norm) as that somehow makes up for everything else.

I have no sympathy for these people. If they need to cut back, fine, but don’t bitch at the rest of us, many who have been cutting back for a decade.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

I don’t see where I’m “making up for everything else” in my comment. I’m just drawing the parallel between these bankers’ statements and clearly unreasonable alimony demands.

(I realize everyone has a different opinion on what an unreasonable alimony would be, but I’m talking about the “I’m used to jewel encrusted toilets, so I deserve $3 million a year in alimony” types of demands.)

17. Abradax says:
  18. full.tang.halo says:

Guess what son, I have not used a dishwasher in more than 5 years. Maby a little manual labor will build some character in ya, maby appreciate what you DO have vs chasing mommy and daddy’s success…

19. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Those who complain about lost wealth should have all remaining wealth taken away until they learn its true value.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

I would like to think people should have to spend a month or two being homeless, or just above that, coping with living hand-to-mouth for days on end.

Take it from me, that’ll teach you the value of a dollar.

20. Rob07 says:

It’s all relative.

Most of us who read the Consumerist are probably lower-middle to middle-class, so naturally, we laugh at the “poor millionaire bankers.” At the same time though, I see comments on here from people who are far too proud to set foot inside a WalMart.

Most people get pretty used to his or her current lifestyle and it really sucks when you suddenly make a lot less money. I think this holds true whether you make $30k per year or $3 million per year.

• StarKillerX says:

True, and considering the long line of first world problems complained about here one would think that people might be at least a little sympathetic, although that would go against the class warfare that is being pushed harder and harder over the last few years (IMO by politicians who want you look at the so-called 1% instead of looking at them and their actions.)

• Talmonis says:

The politicians are part of the 1%. There is class warfare. Reagan started it, and the multi-nationals are begging to finish it. There has been 4 years of screaming from rich douchebags (and their uneducated Tri-corn hat wearing bootlickers) who don’t like that some of their taxes go to poor people, the infirm and disaster victims.
        They scream any time the government does something FOR people, instead of give them another subsidy.They are financing all these SuperPacs in an attempt to buy the election, and deregulate any sort of consumer or worker protections.
        They simultaneously mock the masses, telling them to “Get a job”, “It’s your fault you’re poor”, calling them parasites, leeches or worse. While out of the other side of their mouths, talk about how they shouldn’t be taxed, because they’re the “Job creators”. Or my favorite “it’s not businesses’ responsibility to create jobs”. Or even the Tea Party Nation’s call to keep businesses from hiring, to trick the poor into voting against Obama.
        Class warfare? Yes. From their end. I’d like to see OUR side fire back for a change. Put the burden on THEM for once instead of the pathetic lip service given by the American “left” (which is only meant to placate folks, to keep the guillotines at bay). They don’t lose their homes when they get laid off. They get nice golden parachutes & benefits that are worth more than most real workers make in decades.
        Instead of pathetic drum circles in the public park that nobody cares about, people need to get furious.

• Kuri says:

Well, thing is, some tried with the Occupy movement, at least I like to think so, and the same things kept being said, though throw “hippies” on top of the mix.

Plus, it’s not really warfare when one side has all the weaponry.

• Talmonis says:

I completely agree with you, but I feel that Occupy didn’t organize enough to be seen by the media as anything but Hippy rabble. They weren’t nearly angry enough.

• ARP says:

Tell you what, stop the war on the middle class (i.e. dismantling unions, raising taxes on middle class, increasing fees for government services to stave off tax increases, cutting scholarship programs, etc.), and the class warfare meme will end

• Kuri says:

Confessed Walmart shopper right here.

• binder34 says:

Thanks for posting a reasonable response; it’s disappointing that so many people can’t have a measured reaction and instead rush to rich-bash.

• Megalomania says:

I suspect that most people here who refuse to enter a walmart are doing it for a variety of reasons unrelated to it being “beneath” them, mainly that it’s a giant corporation that has a reputation for unfair business practices relating to both its employees and its suppliers. Complaining about being unable to afford “the New York that I wanted to have”, on the other hand, is just beyond conceited and well over into delusional.

• OutPastPluto says:

Cheap crap is not always a bargain. In fact, it usually isn’t.

This is part of how the rich can manage to spend less than the poor for some things.

…not to mention the fact that Walmart engages in bait-and-switch tactics anyways.

• SmokeyBacon says:

I will admit I don’t go to the Walmarts near me because the closest ones are pretty nasty – but every time we have gone out of town for a transport (which I admit is only 2 times) we have had to check out the local Walmarts to compare. And they are the proof to me that not all Walmarts are nasty – just the ones near my house. The closest nice one is still too far for a regular trip when there are a bunch of nice Targets within 30 minutes of my house (including one 5 minutes away with heavy traffic)- so I just go there.

• drjayphd says:

Hopefully, some of these bankers will take some time to sit down and rethink their lifestyles. Warren Buffett didn’t exactly get wealthy by trying to keep up the appearance of luxury.

21. Cat says:

Every one of these douchenozzles needs to be dropped, penniless, with nothing but the clothes on their back (and no shoes) in any one of these places:

Those that come out alive after one year will have a completely different outlook and attitude.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Heck, come live at my house. Eat peanut butter sandwiches, carrots, apple, and maybe some yogurt (if it’s on sale), every day for lunch at work for weeks on end. But then have to cut back on peanut butter because it, like everything else, has doubled in price. Sit at home at night with the thermostat at 66 degrees, or less, to try to save a few gallons of overpriced fuel oil. Fix holes in socks, several times, before you buy new ones just to make them last a little longer. All the while whining about only 1 month at the summer home and spending thousands more per year on private school than my take home pay for the same time frame.

The more I think about this article, the angrier I get. Mr. Rich and Whiny needs to get back to me when he’s hacking up a road killed deer because he can’t afford beef. Jerk.

22. chiieddy says:

That’s disgusting. That said, my bonus went from 6% of my annual salary to 4% this year. That was disappointing personally, but my salary is not anywhere near these people’s and I certainly don’t depend on my bonus. I’ve paid off a credit card bill and am taking my husband to a super fancy restaurant for his birthday. The rest is going into my savings fund for the 2014 World Cup. :)

23. SlimDan22 says:
  24. Tacojelly says:

This really puts it into perspective. I thought trying to find a minimum wage job when you can’t even afford the internet or computer needed to apply was tough…

25. Tacojelly says:

26. SilverBlade2k says:

Here is the sound of the smallest violin being played by someone who doesn’t give a shit…

27. crispyduck13 says:

My brand spankin new Bosch dishwasher cost me a whopping $400. I make no where near what this douchebag does. How the hell can he not afford a $400 appliance on that salary??

• daynight says:

Part of the problem is that were he to get a dishwasher it would, of necessity, cost well above what that low end model cost. It simply must fit into his decor, or the ambiance of his kitchen would be devastated!

• HomerSimpson says:

Probably bought at Lowe’s…where the (bleech) common people shop. Surely you can relate to his plight of having to mix with the proles now.

• ARP says:

Well a Viking dishwasher (you don’t expect him to buy a pedestrian GE appliance, do you) is about $1600, to say nothing of the cost of custom installation to match his decor.

28. prag2 says:

Hysterical. These people are supposed to be smart. You’d think they would look at their good fortune during the boom time and think about saving for a rainy day. Instead they set themselves up with commitments they can’t possibly afford should things go south.

It’s probably wiser, no matter who you are, to always save a portion of your take-home pay. It helps build a cushion and by definition means you are living below what you earn presumably making you better prepared to live on a diminished salary. But then again this is all obvious to the readers here.

29. El_Fez says:

I don’t have a dishwasher. We do all our dishes by hand.

Funny, I would have figured that they just threw away the hand carved fine china after each use!

30. crispyduck13 says:

The real reason all our 401ks are in the goddamn garbage is because stupid jackoffs like these are put in charge of managing the funds.

How about Wall Street starts hiring *smart* people to handle millions of dollars at a time.

31. FashionablyDoomed says:

“…We sit there, and I look through all of them to find out where it’s worth going.”

After reading that, I thought, “Wait, I have to check the source article. This has to be from the Onion.”

I wish it had been. These people are sad.

32. Orrie says:

Now THAT is some mighty-fine Trollin’.

33. oldwiz65 says:

I have zero sympathy for the criminal bank people. They are lucky they are not in Gitmo where they belong.

It would be nice if the IRS could tax their bonuses at a flat 50% with no deductions allowed.

• qwickone says:

My bonus is taxed at 40% and I thought that was standard. Anyone know?

And not everyone in banking is evil! I do commercial credit risk management (translation: underwriting business loans, primarily). I also support increasing taxes for the wealthy, healthcare for everyone, the Occupy movement!

Yes, bonuses were down for us, but I’m not complaining. I consider my bonus to be gravy, so I don’t rely on it and don’t have heartache when it’s less.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

A lot of these folks ARE paying at least 50% (marginal rate) in taxes, if they live in NYC.

34. redskull says:

With just a few minor tweaks it could be.

35. esc27 says:

Reading the source article, this isn’t so much a problem of rich people complaining about lacking excessive wealth so much as rich wall street people being bad with their money. These people don’t have savings accounts, rainy day funds, etc. If they are that bad with their own money, no wonder the economy went belly up.

• daynight says:

This is a very important observation. It would be really great if money managers had to disclose their personal finances and prove they manage their own funds in a sound and responsible way.

Opps! I see my own mistake. ‘Sound and responsible’ is not a concept they understand.

• Kuri says:

And they see nothing wrong with dragging the rest of us down with them.

36. q`Tzal says:

Memebase has been trollin’ this for a while:

37. SmokeyBacon says:

Wow, my annual salary is the same as the cost for that prep school.

38. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

OMG! Public school vs private school! Only renting the Connecticut Summer Home for 1 month instead of 4! WASHING DISHES BY HAND! Buying grocery items on sale! The horrors! Little precious snowflakes Buffy and Preston might have to attend a public school and associate with commoners.

“People who don’t have money don’t understand the stress.”

Mr. Banker, kiss my ass. I mean really, you are a world class asshole. Many people in this world work hard, show up for work every day, and get by paycheck to paycheck, praying a health crisis, car problem, or some other disaster won’t befall them and send them into homelessness and/or bankruptcy. Your daughter’s private school costs more than my take home pay for a year. I don’t begrudge what you have, but it makes me angry to hear you complain like this. It’s not like you’re eating out of a dumpster.

39. SteveinOhio says:

The guy complaining about doing dishes by hands actually does have a “dishwasher”. That school-aged girl going to the $32k/year school? You know, your daughter? That’s your dishwasher. Given what we know about her dad, I’d say some chores would be a good thing for her.

40. Psychotronic says:

What is this “bonus” they speak of??? Never heard of it!

41. zibby says:

While I’m here, I’d like to recommend subscribing to The Consumerist’s mother ship, Consumer Reports Magazine. It’s chock-full of information that is useful to consumers of all stripes, while having no elements that are of no use to consumers whatsoever but rather meant to aggravate people in the hope that they will click n’ post. Not that I know of any sites like that or anything. The only (arguably) frivolous thing in CR is one page at the end which contains various silly or misleading ads, etc. submitted by readers.

42. Dallas_shopper says:

I’m in the top 25% and I clip coupons. I bargain-hunt and comparison shop. Why? Because throwing money away when you don’t have to is stupid.

(And I have a dishwasher.)

I have no sympathy for these pompous 1-percenters. NONE. They can kiss my ass.

43. MrEvil says:

My heart bleeds.

44. ktlnlb says:

This looks like something The Onion would publish.

45. Starfury says:

I’m trying to find some sympathy for the financial difficulties these people are going through…

and not finding any.

46. Propaniac says:

I will stick up for that guy on one thing: an apartment where a 10-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy have to share a bedroom is a problem.

That being said, he’s obviously choosing to spend all his money on other things rather than a better housing situation, seemingly because the only alternative he can imagine is buying the $1.5 million home next door.

47. Sarek says:

$32K/year for a prep school? There are private colleges that don’t cost that much. It would be Armageddon if his kid were forced to attend — gasp! — a public school with all the riff-raff. I hope he can manage to hold onto his summer home. What would the neighbors think?!

On the other hand, Wall St. bonuses are an important component of New York City and New York State income tax receipts. So it’s actually to my benefit as an NY resident for the bonuses to be big.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

Yup, $32k is high, but no responsible parent who can afford it would send their kids to NYC public schools if a private alternative is available. The educational resources, quality of the faculty, quality of the student body, and outcomes are all so much higher, it’s not even a comparison.

48. HomerSimpson says:

MY…HEART…BLEEDS

Nah, no it doesn’t…

49. r1306h says:

I just…I just don’t understand the stupidity. First, there’s the obvious stupidity of these people thinking the world will have any sympathy for them. Second, how could they have gotten into these situations, given how much money they have/make? It’s just beyond my comprehension.

Look, I make pretty good money, and I’m young and single. But since I’m not an idiot, I recognize all three of those things could someday be false, so I don’t make stupid financial commitments. I don’t buy things until I can pay for them outright. As a result, if I lost my job tomorrow, I could keep all my possessions, and move on with my life in a minimum-wage job until I get back on my feet. In fact, I’ve done it. If any of these assholes got fired, they’d be bankrupt and homeless inside of a month.

Also, why the hell would you NOT use coupons and shop for bargains? $1 is $1…its value to me doesn’t decrease simply because I have more of them than some people. What idiots.

50. Kuri says:

Cry some more baby.

51. NightWriter says:

Viva La Revoluci√≥n…

52. HomerSimpson says:

*Clearly* this is the fault of all those people leeching off welfare!

53. ansjc09 says:

The sad part of the story is the people’s obsession with money and status. I’m a graduate student and live on a stipend and I would bet my stipend that I am happier than these people. Of course, I’m in a graduate school to eventually make more $$$, so I’m going to work hard to NOT end up acting like these people!

54. Kuri says:

Heh, I’m not even anywhere close to how much money this guy still has, and I have a dishwasher.

Lowe’s FTW.

Granted I didn’t have one for a few months as the old one broke, but I have these things at the ends of my arms called hands, use some soap and a sponge and it’s just as good.

People like this are why I have little respect for the rich.

55. Jawaka says:

Wow, this place has really mastered the art of snark in their stories.

56. Wench86 says:

Wah wah wah. Suck it up buttercup!

57. Tiercelet says:

…honestly? -1, Troll

58. axiomatic says:

I started to write something empathetic…

…then I started laughing WAAAYYYY to hard.

Please Mr. Banker, cry me a river…

59. CappyCobra says:

Is there a charity for the waaambulance fund? Think of all the poor bankers! /sarcasm

60. Optimistic Prime says:

It’s not April 1st yet is it? I feel like I’ve been punk’d.

61. lettucefactory says:

The only thing I have sympathy for is the bit about private schools. Not because I think “my child is a special snowflake who has to go to a $32,000/year prep school” is a sound decision. But because it sucks to have to change schools when you’re a kid because of factors beyond your control. And it sucks to have to deal with the fallout, as a parent.

Obviously expensive private schools are not a necessity and these people will all survive just fine. But I wouldn’t look forward to telling my child to say goodbye to all his friends. It’s true even if you’re moving the child to a better school, it’s true when you’re moving the child for more sympathetic reasons like job transfers and military moves, and it’s true when you’re doing something that is, in the long run, better for the family overall. This doesn’t mean I’m all torn up on their behalf – public school might do some of these kids some real good, if all they’ve ever known is a life of unrestrained spending – but I get not wanting upheaval when it comes to your kids.

For having to sell the Porche, though? Or not being able to add rooms to a house that costs ten times what people usually spend on a house? Or having to give up SOME of your time at the beach house? Yeah, I don’t care. At all.

• HomerSimpson says:

They’re not worried about the kids losing their friends…they’re worried about what “other people” will think. Like the neighbors whispering “OMG, his kids are going to PUBLIC school now!–TEH HORROR!”

62. AngryK9 says:

I hope some of them are reading this. And I hope they see my comment when I say: Tough. Get a real life, live in the real world, and stop your poor little rich kid crybabying. Because nobody here gives a damn.

63. HogwartsProfessor says:

Shut the hell up, bankers. I have windowpanes falling out of my house. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR IT.

64. Snip says:

Oh please. I’m paying an obscene amount of money for graduate work that has turned out to be nowhere near worth the amount I am going to have to shill out. (If you’re thinking of going, consider how much you’re going to be paying afterward, and whether or not you’re going to be working in a field that will make that acceptable.) It’s put me in a financial situation where my take home pay has to spread as thin as tissue paper to stay fed and sheltered. And they’re worried because their house feels too small? Seriously?

65. akronharry says:

I have a dishwasher! I’m in the upper 1%!!!!!!!

66. BooCackles says:

This article is irritating because most of us could only dream of having the salaries these people have. If I earned what they do, you can be assured that I would be saving for a rainy day instead of spending 4 months on the beach.
    Cutting your vacay down to 1 month or not having a dishwasher is way different than having to choose between heat and food or having your home forclosed on because you lost your job. Not being able to send your kid to a 32K a year school is much different than not being able to take them to the doctor. It is kind of like someone having a Rolls Royce gripe that the windows don’t roll down quickly enough when the rest of us are driving beaters. (Ironically, there are probably people who live in 3rd world countries who think the same thing about many of us!)

67. Happy Dad says:

Even bankers are stupid enough to live at or beyond their means.

68. Nyxalinth says:

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Shame clipping those coupons won’t get them that extra yacht or another skank to hang on their arm.

69. MECmouse says:

‘stuff’ — that’s what it’s become about. Too bad. So sad. I won’t cry for you.