Kmart Manager Shot By Robber, Still Manages To Stop Robbery

If you’re shot while trying to prevent a robbery, not many people would hold it against you if you just let the bad guy finish up the heist and leave. But don’t tell that to the manager of the Seattle-area Kmart who not only survived his gunshot wound but also held the robber until police arrived.

According to SeattlePI.com, the incident occurred shortly after the store closed on Saturday night. Employees were about to deposit cash in the Kmart safe when they were approached by a masked gunman.

But the manager wasn’t having any of that, reports SeattlePI:

The manager fought back and was shot once. Police say he continued to fight and held onto the suspect, and eventually the 9 mm handgun came free. The victim picked it up and held the suspect as another employee called 911.

The manager was taken to the hospital and listed in critical condition.

If this story ends like most tales of store employees intervening in armed robberies, the manager will probably be without a job any day now.

Kmart manager stopped robber after being shot [SeattlePI]

Comments

1. agent 47 says:

Let the 9mm vs .45 arguments commence!

• Zowzers says:

Shot placement trumps caliber in nearly all cases. My guess is the manager was hit in either the arm, leg, or abdomen. AKA non-vital/instantly life threatening wounds. Lucky for him.

2. dolemite says:

“Fire this guy immediately!” “What about the media backlash?” “Hmm..didn’t think of that…” “Good news sir…he didn’t pull through!” “Thank God!”

3. Kuonji says:

So when is he getting fired?

4. pop top says:

This is why you don’t fight back against an armed robber. Your life is worth more than crappy Chinese trinkets and Martha Stewart’s Home Collection.

• shinseiromeo says:

^ Worst comment of the year? ^

If someone is working or not, if someone is willing to take a life, it is HUMAN INSTINCT to defend oneself.

Also, just because someone comes and says “this is a stick up, gimme your money” doesn’t mean the won’t off you after you comply to not have any witnesses.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

You think that was worst comment of the year? Damn man, stick around. There are always some premium gems round here. Just wait for a breastfeeding in public thread.

Unfortunately I think (hope) FreeMarketFan got banned for being stupid and racist, but there are always others to pick up the slack.

• shinseiromeo says:

Well I did have the ? at the end. =P

I just loathe when people say to bend over and take it. I will NEVER allow someone to control me in a situation like that. To me it’s the same as a woman being attacked and someone says “well let it happen, they might kill you if you don’t”.

• Kuri says:

Ah yes, mr “nothing but beans and rice for people without jobs” while ignoring that forcing them to subsist on only two items will effect their ability to work.

• pop top says:

The article made it sound like the only reason the robber shot the employee was because the employee attacked him. You shouldn’t go out of your way to get shot.

• Doubting thomas says:

No it didn’t. All it says is that he was being robbed and fought back. It does not imply either way what happened beyond that. Unless you are referring to the criminal (a class of people known for their honesty) claiming that he was forced to do the robbery. Even that doesn;t mean he was above eliminating witnesses.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Hey now, don’t be bashing on the criminal or you’ll be accused of using racist code words.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Are you saying criminals are more likely to be of a certain ethnic persuasion?

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

No, what I’m saying is that every time a story involves crime and anyone posts saying the person who committed the crime is an “animal” or “scumbag” or some such generic term, squinko accuses the poster of using “racist code words”.

• failurate says:

We don’t have enough details to know if fighting back was a good or bad idea. The robber could have been lining people up for execution, Browns Chicken style.

• crispyduck13 says:

Oh good lord. Well thanks, now I can add “Brown’s Chicken style” to my lexicon.

It’s a good point though, all these people saying ‘don’t fight back’ are assuming the robbers wouldn’t just shoot you anyway.

• kobresia says:

Wow.

That happened not long before the Chuck E. Cheese massacre near Denver, where the robber (a disgruntled former employee) just walked around and shot 4 employees, then forced the manager to unlock the safe, and then executed her. Seems almost like a copycat, I don’t remember any of the news reporting on the similarities though.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Based on some of the employees I’ve encountered before, that may not be true.

• pot_roast says:

An old friend of mine had that mentality. “Don’t fight back, just give the mean robber what he wants.”

Friend was shot twice anyway, despite having his hands up and complying.

He now has his concealed carry permit.

• George4478 says:

That’s true. And as long as the criminal is of a similar mind and doesn’t just shoot you anyway, you’ll be fine.

I, however, have a problem trusting the criminal to have my interests in mind and do what is best for me.

• ChuckECheese says:

Martha pulled out of KMart years ago.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Sorry, Squinko, gonna have to go ahead and just kinda disagree with you on this one. This is exactly why I would fight back against an armed robber. By pulling a gun on me, he has declared his intent to kill me (Locke would call it “placing himself in a state of war” with me). At that point, I have nothing left to lose by trying to defend myself. I’d rather go down fighting, with the chance of surviving, than to roll over and be shot anyway. I’m sure as hell going to fight back if he tries to get me to go with him. Like Sifu Jon said, if he’s going to kill me, I’m going to make him do it under lights, with as many witnesses around as possible. Because if I go with him, I’m already dead.

• Martha Gail says:

That’s why safes are in the front of the store. You open it, give them what they want quickly and they leave. You’re far more likely to get hurt if you fight back or if someone calls the cops. Let the robber get in and get out- then lock the door behind them and call the cops.

While I’m sorry for his situation, he deserves to be fired. I worked retail for more than half my life, I know how robberies go.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Yeah…if the robber wasn’t going to kill you anyway. You don’t know that’s the case. Maybe you’re willing to bet your life on that. I’m not.

• CrazyEyed says:

Considering there is no rule/law on the behavior of an armed robber, I’d be damned if I lay there, complied with every request from the violator and in return, got shot and killed.

You can definitely bet I’d fight back and hopefully make sure that @$$hole never saw the light of day again.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Again, I don’t. Give. A. Fuck. About. Policy. If someone shoves a gun in my face, I will assume the worst and take steps to defend myself. I do not know his intention; all I know is that my life is being IMMEDIATELY threatened. I have no way of knowing that he will take the money and leave. He may take the money, then shoot me once he doesn’t need me to open the safe. I am not willing to take that chance. If he wants to take my life, he must earn it, and I will make him pay in blood if I can. I will not lay down and meekly accept my fate because my corporate masters want me to. I will fight, and worry about finding a new job later.

• AD8BC says:

+1000

• MrEvil says:

I gotta say, I agree with you. Too often the clerk fully complies with the robber and gets shot in the end anyway.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

• MeowMaximus says:

Colorado has a concealed carry law. I usually carry my Wilson .45 openly, but for those situations where it would be inappropriate, I have a compact Keltec P-11. I walked into my favorite local coffee shop with the .45 in a hip holster, greeted the staff, and got in line. Some hipster in front of me glared at me, and made a remark to the barista about how rude and unnecessary it was to be carrying a gun into a coffee shop. As she was pouring this drink, she smiled sweetly and pointed out that if some armed meth head came crashing through the door, that I would be using that gun to defend him – and then she showed him her Walther that was in her fanny pack adding “as would I”.

Needless to say, I tipped her heavily.

Oh Yeah – All Hail Menoth!

• MeowMaximus says:

Like hell he does! The man is a hero. Its only too bad he was not armed himself. There probably would have been one less scumbag in the world.

5. Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

What a scumbag of a human being. How could you ever bring yourself to do that… I mean, breaking corporate policy like that? The nerve.

I hope he gets fired, what a cowardly act of disobedience to his master.

6. Mark702 says:

First he was fired at, next he’ll just be fired.

7. sirwired says:

I am pretty sure K-Mart would have much preferred he simply submit to the robber’s demands. While it isn’t foolproof if the robber is particularly bloodthirsty, on the whole it is much safer. K-Mart does not WANT their employees risking their lives to protect KMart property.

Letting the robbers go is safer for the employee, and both safer and cheaper for KMart. The money that was nearly stolen was almost certainly much less than the medical bills KMart is about to pay to patch the manager up.

Leave stopping robbers to people that are specifically paid to do so.

8. tsumeone says:

It will be interesting to see if the policy of not resisting criminals at work applies to managers or not.

9. dpeters11 says:

He was shot after he fought back. Sorry, but if it’s policy to not fight back, then it should apply to him. Now, if he was cooperating, just giving the gunman the money, and was shot (accidently by a nervous first time crook or out of malice), then no.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

I will fight back to defend my life. Period. Fuck policy.

• dolemite says:

I concur. If a guy is holding a gun on me, I have a right to defend myself AND employ lethal force. Now…if the guy had already left with the money, and I ran into the parking lot to tackle him, that’s a different story.

• SporadicBlah says:

I concur

10. MaytagRepairman says:

I’m surprised we still have a Kmart in Seattle. I am more surprised that I drive within 8 blocks of it each day. IIRC, it is located in a rather grungy looking area that I prefer not to stop at. Not particularly dangerous looking, just really run down.

• mister_roboto says:

Yeah I’ve been to this Kmart before- it’s pretty run down on the inside as it is on the outside.

11. SporadicBlah says:

I would have shot the robber back even at the expense of loosing my job. Imagine how low the crime rate would be if everyone packed heat. Knowing you might get shot if you commit a crime is a lot better deterrent than a few months in county lock up.

12. Quake 'n' Shake says:

If the guy’s a manager at KMart and hasn’t killed himself yet, there’s no way he’d let something like a gunshot wound and robber slow him down…
    unless this was an impromptu suicide attempt gone horribly right.

• bhr says:

I know you are being derisive for the lols, but you realize that retail big box manages make 60, 80k? Back in my mortgage days I did loans for a Walmart manager who made six figures and a target department manager who made 60k in her 20s with a AA degree. The hours might suck, but the pay is pretty good for folks with no special skills.

• MrEvil says:

Yeah, managers at retail stores are rewarded handsomely, but you’re practically married to the place. Makes me glad I’m in IT.

13. Hungry Dog says:

The manager probably held the robber down with his massive steel balls. Then cleaned himself up with towels from the Martha Stewart collection, perfectly absorbent for bodily fluids while still maintaining that spring time freshness.

14. Tacojelly says:

Unfortunately for this guy, Sears probably has a bunch of rules in place so that he probably cost his job.

At best, he’s forced to use his “vacation time,” return to work before he’s ready, and offered nothing (reward or compensation) for his dedication to his job.

15. WyomingGunAndHuntingEnthusiast says:

This is exactly why I conceal carry on a daily basis you just never know what could happen, I remember when I was walking around Wal-Mart and some kid got stabbed in the abdomen while looking at some games, I managed to catch up to the assailant draw my firearm and keep the suspect at bay until authorities arrived.

16. elangomatt says:

I wonder if Kmart even has a policy about robberies that would apply to managers or regular employees. I worked for Kmart for longer than I care to admit and I was never once told what to do in case of a robbery. And in their infinite wisdom, the register where I worked was the closest one to the door where and we sold Money Orders and sent wire transfers. Beginning of the month every month, we put $20k+ of all cash transactions through that register daily. I am surprised that we were never robbed.